Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Handy tips for newcomers

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 3 pages long.
Go to page 1 2 3
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4058 days, 20 hours, 7 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 at 20:20 (GMT -5)

When people start playing ADOM, there is an elaborate learning process involved.

First, learning the controls. This is probably the worst part. (Believe me, I know. I tried to get a friend into the game, but all I could do was give her a list of the most important commands, and it looks like she gave up. Can't blame her, really.) But as soon as you've grasped these, you start playing the game, and keep dying, and don't know what the hell you're doing wrong.

I want to gather some hints and tips for newcomers for my guides page. Basically a lot of stuff that we ADOM veterans or not-quite-veterans-but-not-total-noobs can tell newcomers to help them in the early game.

Kind of like the loading screen hints in some of the more mainstream games, Civ IV for instance.

Nothing too spoily, simply stuff a first time player would need a lot of time and frustration to find out.

We don't have to tell them everything. Hints that leave some experimentation to the player are best.

Like this:

1. Did you know you can bless items? You need holy water for that. The god you worship can bless water you put on his altar - yet know that divine assistance doesn't come cheap...
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
rmcin329
Registered user

Last page view:

5206 days, 8 hours, 11 minutes and 32 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 at 20:23 (GMT -5)

2. Bows and slings(you'll need the respective ammo for each though) can make a nice way to attack enemys from a distance. However keeping up on ammo isn't always easy
3. Don't go around eating every corpse you find some of them can have bad effects such as making you sick. However most of them are relativly safe to eat, and a few can even have some beneficial effects.
4. the first aid skill and healing potions can be useful in bad situations
5. a shield can be a real lifesaver at lower lvls, using even a small or wooden one can be very handy. As a side note though read the game manual to find out how much DV you can gain from your shield(yes there is a limit) Small and wooden shields for example, max out their usefulness(and then can't be used to block/deflect anymore) pretty fast.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/7/2008 at 20:33 (GMT -5) by rmcin329]
noob
Registered user

Last page view:

5918 days, 22 hours, 38 minutes and 3 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 at 20:34 (GMT -5)

6. If you haven't got the right key for a locked door there might be other ways inside. What kind of violent action hero uses keys anyway...

7. If you encounter something weird you don't know how to deal with checking the control list for ridiculous commands like "h"andle, wipe "F"ace and other might be just what you are looking for...

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/7/2008 at 20:38 (GMT -5) by noob]
Lost_one
Registered user
unregistered user

Last page view:

5911 days, 19 hours, 29 minutes and 27 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 at 20:46 (GMT -5)

8.) Maxip's shop in Tyreno is a good place to stock up on food. Nothing is worse than starving to death when you have enough money to have paid for 3-5 rations!
"I have opinions -STRONG opinions- that sometimes, I don't agree with"

---Prez. George W. Bush
rmcin329
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 at 20:48 (GMT -5)

9. reading up on your skills via the in-game manual, can be helpful in choosing which ones you want to increase.
10. weapon skills can be viewed, what bonuses they are currrently providing and how many marks are needed to increase them by holding ctrl and hitting w. More info can be found on them in the in-game manual(seperate section from regular skills)

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/7/2008 at 21:06 (GMT -5) by rmcin329]
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4887 days, 21 hours, 42 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 at 21:45 (GMT -5)

11. As the manual states, ADOM is a game of
tactics. Become well aquainted with the F2
(very aggressive tactic)and F7 (coward tactic)
buttons on your keyboard. If you are not
pressing these keys at least a billion times
in your game, you are handi-capping yourself.
Constantly walk around in coward mode, switch
to an aggresive tactic only for the fights you
choose.

This is one of the things, that will really
extend your PC's life.
Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4229 days, 19 hours, 25 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 at 23:52 (GMT -5)

12. Any time during the game you can press ? to bring up the in-game manual or a list of key commands. Be sure to use this when there's information you've forgotten.

13. The puppy quest is very difficult, and designed as an extra challenge for experienced players. Don't worry about avoiding it if you find it too tough.

14. Always remember you can run away. Teleporting yourself or your enemy can get you out of a sticky situation, as can simply running for the stairs or exit. If down to less than 20% of your HP you'll be able to run much faster on Coward mode. Better to flee than die.

15. If death seems certain, consider all your options. You might be able to pray for healing or curing poison/disease. You might have a spell that'll help out, or unidentified wands/scrolls/potions that can come in handy. It could be a handy potion of invisibility or it could just be poison, but if you know you're dead next turn you might as well try. Stopping to think about every available option, no matter how desperate, can save your life in a crisis.

16. Keeping a good relation with your god is important, so be sure you have piety available for prayers. Changing alignment means you lose all your piety, and you'll have to sac more to get on good terms with your new god.

17. Altars are useful, but can also be a hazard if monsters are nearby when you step on them. White altars are generally safe, but chaotic ones can get even a high level character instantly sacrificed to an enemy's god. Remember that some creatures, such as ratlings, swordsmen, barbarians and doppelgangers, are neutral, and can sac you on a grey altar.

18. Getting naked can save your life. Removing your helm, armour, girdle and boots and setting tactics to Berserk will give big bonuses to your attacks. Often when starting the game these items are weak anyway, and the extra damage can be a huge help. But it leaves you much lower on defence, and can make you attack friends without warning, so only use it when you need to.

19. Many many creatures can't fight back in darkness, including high level monsters and early game killers like vortices. Just make sure you're not doomed when taking advantage of this...

20. Mimics and ghuls can paralyse you, leaving you extremely vulnerable to attacks for many turns. Wear an amulet of free action when facing them, or take them out from a distance. If you need to fight them in melee, then do so on defensive tactics.

21. Digging up graves marked "great treasure" can give you some very nice items, but it'll also cause powerful liches to appear. They can stat drain, confuse and summon monsters, and the most powerful ones can slay you instantly with Death Ray. So be prepared when the lust for power overwhelms you!

22. Every character can learn spells with a bit of effort, not just wizards. Higher levels and Learning help, but most characters should try and get some access to handy spells like Teleport. Any character can bookcast if they've learnt the spell from a wand or potion of wonder, though it'll cost triple the PP.

23. Wands can be recharged with potions of mana, potential mana, booze and scrolls of charging. Blessing these items can make them more effective.

24. Keeping your distance from an enemy means keeping your distance from death. Webbing, stunning, and wands of paralysation can help, as can simply moving away... If an enemy can't get at you then you can simply keep sniping them with missiles and spells till they don't present as much of a threat.

25. Spells get more effective the more you cast them, meaning more damage, longer ranges for bolts, and cheaper casting. Some spells like Burning Hands, Dispel Undead and Cure Light Wounds can benefit hugely from this.

26. Potions of troll blood make you recover hit points faster, and potions of raw mana do the same for power points. Blessing them makes them much more effective.

27. Don't let yourself get surrounded. Duck into corridors if you're facing 2 or more enemies so you only have to tackle 1 at a time. This can be handy for lining them all up for a bolt spell too.

I'll come up with more later...
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/8/2008 at 00:02 (GMT -5) by Darren Grey]
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 at 00:34 (GMT -5)

28. Herbs can be game-changing. If you used the right way they can heal you, improve stats, cure sickness and poison, or simply fill up your belly. Some even work when cursed. But be careful - not all greens are good for you...

29. Seven league boots improve your walking speed drastically, making it easier to run rings round enemies. A few pairs of them are well worth a wish!

30. Drinking from pools can bring many delights, maybe even a wish, but not without risks. They can remove resistances, reduce stats, summon enemies, and maybe even doom you. Some effects like teleporting and invisibility can do more harm than good. Be sure to have ways of dealing with these before gambling with a pool's murky depths.

31. Cursing and dooming can be removed with scrolls of luck (preferably blessed) or by sacrificing large amounts at an altar. Getting "very close" to a god will remove these bad effects and grant you extra luck.

32. Some monsters are dangerous to attack in melee. Karmic creatures will curse or doom you, floating eyes and gelatinous cubes will paralyse you, and gray oozes will dissolve irons weapons. Best to take these out with missiles or spells.

33. If in a bind remember that anything can be used as a weapon or thrown as a missile. If a gray ooze has dissolved your sword then start chucking shields and hats at it!

34. Gorgons can petrify you, killing you instantly. Be sure to keep your distance if you don't have resistance.

35. Gods can give you gifts if you get extremely close to them and pray. If you meet the right requirements you might even be crowned their champion.

36. Artifacts are unique and powerful items that can't be destroyed, often with special effects. You can find them through quests, random luck, or possibly even divine grace.

37. You can learn a lot about yourself with potions of insight or the Revelation spell.

38. Corruption is central to the game, and can have terrible effects, maybe even killing you. The deeper you go the worse it will become, so be sure to look for ways to deal with it.

39. The path to divinity is not for the faint-hearted. If you have trouble with some of the quests then just settle on saving the world!

40. Some bolt spells can be used to bounce round corners and hit out of hte way enemies. Just make sure they don't bounce back!
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/8/2008 at 00:41 (GMT -5) by Darren Grey]
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 at 03:18 (GMT -5)

Amazing!

Nitpick for number 23, though: You can also use potions of boost mana. For me, this is their main use in the game...
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 at 06:10 (GMT -5)

Ah, didn't think of boost mana (a potion which is indeed without any real merit). I'll have to remember that in future... Looking at no 23 it might be better phrased as "wands given extra charges by dipping them in..." etc.

Just thought of another important one:

41. Corruptions can be removed with potions of cure corruption (PoCC) and scrolls of chaos resistance (SoCR). Both work far better when blessed, but will corrupt you when cursed. They're also very rare. Guth'Alak will give non-chaotics PoCCs in exchange for the corpses of extremely corrupt beings, and various rare quests and NPCs in the game can give you SoCRs if you meet the right conditions.

I remember for the first few years of playing the game I thought SoCRs just gave you a sort of temporary resistance to corruption, and never tried using one. I had to rely on PoCCs for corruption removal, and you can imagine the sort of troubles I had...
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5654 days, 14 hours, 20 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 at 08:42 (GMT -5)

A good number of tips you got there! Very nice. A nitpick to #14 though, the percentage is 33%, as in 1/3.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5817 days, 15 hours, 43 minutes and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 at 08:44 (GMT -5)

Spoil yourself or your chances to win are simply astronomical. Okay, so you might win a normal victory though.
Also, you might be familiar with piety and stuff but sometimes the gods are fickle and some actions can net you a nasty surprise next time you sacrifice at an altar. Piety also decreases over time to a neutral amount. If you are unsure, wield an artifact, or a useless item, and that ONLY before sacrificing.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/8/2008 at 08:47 (GMT -5) by Battle bunny]
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

5840 days, 21 hours, 52 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 at 18:48 (GMT -5)

It's cool to collect those advices, I think the game is lacking a little of hints each time you face a critical problem. And a newbie wonder what to do in front of them. Finding solution by yourself is certainly cool but sometimes you could be tired to search something.

What would be great would be a list of newbie questions and the answer is a spoiler tag to let it read or not. I know it's the spoiler area but still cool to search if you have something similar to your question and not read something else.

For example, I have a new question :
I lost my tinder set (a trap destroyed it, the designer has an evil heart!!) I played a long time until I realize I couldn't light torch anymore. How manage this?
rmcin329
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 at 19:03 (GMT -5)

get lucky and find a new tinderbox(flint and steel is needed too, and flint and steel(1 item) is seperated out from tinderbox) in either a store or monster drop, neither is too common from my experience, so good luck finding another.
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

4589 days, 9 hours, 31 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 at 01:15 (GMT -5)

41. Smithing can help you survive otherwise deadly scenarios. Buy it from the dwarven blacksmith, get it to 100, and use it.

42. If you get a wish, sometimes it's wise to use it on things other than stats or equipment. Skills such as Find Weakness, Concentration, Alchemy, Food Preservation, Athletics, can help a lot and open up new avenues for your character.

43. Don't push your luck with the SMC. Monsters are double your level in there, meaning their DV/PV is higher, their to hit and damage is higher, their HP are higher, they get more critical hits and armor bypassing hits - so every level you increase makes them much more dangerous. Get out before lvl 5 unless you are supremely confident.

44. When bringing the Mad Carpenter back to Jharod, keep a number of spaces ahead of him, as far as possible that he'll still follow you. This way, if you're in a tight corridor and get a monster blocking your path, you have some turns to deal with it before Mr Carpenter starts tooling on you.

45. When you encounter Kranach and his gang of thieves, set your tactics to coward, and move to the edge of the screen. All the kobolds and raiders will pile up and block each other from using missile attacks against you (they can't shoot through their buddies). Whereas if you stay in the middle of the screen, you'll be taking shots from all of them simultaneously. Once you get them bunched on the edge of the screen, make sure you only fight one or two at a time by constantly retreating a step or two, so you don't get surrounded. Raiders hit harder than the kobolds or goblins, so try to take out the raiders first.

46. In the puppy cave, on the second level, close doors behind you, and spend some time there. Eventually the ants will dig out the level, leaving lots of rocks as ammo, some metal ore, and potentially some crystals or gems. Go quickly through the cavernous level, it's easy to get overwhelmed.

47. Weak starting characters, like merchants and mindcrafters and thieves, can benefit greatly from visiting the ID, and going back and forth on the first two or three levels to gain xp and items. The monsters are quite weak compared to other early places, so you can build up your strength there before taking on greater challenges.

48. In the early game, avoid vipers from pit traps and bee hives like the plague. The poisoning you'll get from a successful hit is very powerful in both cases, and even with two prayers and some healing potions could still kill off your character. Same goes for assasins in Lawenilothel.
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

"Be sure to keep your distance if you don't have resistance." -DG
vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

4947 days, 2 hours, 56 minutes and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 at 05:21 (GMT -5)

Some of these are pretty advanced advice for a newbie - I don't think I would have described myself as such at the time I got my first wish for instance.

Until a player enters pyramid for the first time (whereupon they become medium newbies :) ) I would stick with:

1/ run away from poisonous monsters, and anything else which is too dangerous.

2/ don't get too hung up on completing the terinyo quests (to begin with there are 4, but two of them are mutually exclusive), one of them in particular is very hard, and none of them are actually necessary to complete the game.

3/ you don't need keys to open locked doors, but they do help.

4/ Begin by playing characters which start with Healing - Trollish Healers are a good bet, for some characters, levels are not so important. In contrast though, also try Elven Wizards - a little bit of trap avoidance luck and they can have an easy ride to the pyramid and beyond - just cast spells at everything.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 at 06:36 (GMT -5)

There's a lot of different class advice you can give to newbies, it's hard to know which is the best. I'm personally of the opinion that saying "trollish healer" to everyone is a really bad idea. If there were a random hint system then we should have individual advice for different combos. For instance:

* Trolls are very strong and tough, and can have an easy time in the early game. Trollish barbarians will crush almost everything in front of them, and trollish healers will be incredibly tough and regenerate HP fast.

* Elven wizards can be hugely powerful, and with their offensive magic can zap away most monsters in the early game. They're low on defense early on, but with care and attention they can rise to great heights.

* Drakelings are tough, and have a special acid spit attack that can help a lot in tricky situations (used with 'm'). They can be good at magic or fighting, and work well with any class.

* Rangers specialise in two-weapon combat, which is extremely risky to use. But they have a lot of good skills, and can make very versatile fighting characters.

* Hurthlings and gnomes gain experience faster than any other race, and are reasonably tough too. Gaining a few levels quickly will put them ahead of a lot of other races. Gnomes are good with magic, and hurthlings have skills that are useful for any class.

* Elementalists don't need books to learn spells - their knowledge in magic increases as they level up. Gnomish elementalists can make great starting characters, gaining spell knowledge quickly and blasting everything away with fire and ice.

* Dwarven paladins have plate mail as their starting armour, which will make them almost invulnerable to most early game enemies. With good attacks and the ability to use magic later on they can be very powerful characters.

* Priests specialise in magic, but are much better than wizards at improving weapon skills. Elven priests start with elven chain mail, which can help survive the early game, and later on they will become very powerful and versatile. Orcish priests can also be a great combo.

* PCs born in the month of Candle will heal much faster, and combined with natural trollish or drakish healing and the Healer class you can get an insane healing rate.

* Concentration makes you regenerate power points faster, and is vital for any character wanting to use spells a lot. Wizards should maximise this skill as soon as possible.

* Merchants, farmers and bards are all very weak classes, and require a lot of tactics to keep alive. You may want to experiment with other classes first before being brave enough to give these a go.

* Dark elven assassins may seem cool, but they're incredibly fragile. Be sure to take every step carefully, and use poison and missiles to good effect. Dual-wielding doesn't get you extra points for coolness - it just leaves you open to attacks more.

* High elven archers are often considered to be the most powerful combo in the game. Archers get extremely powerful with missiles, especially if you train up your weapons and invest in the missile talents. Plenty of arrows can be found from barbarians in the wilderness.

And some more general advice:

* Slaying ammo and weapons can do triple damage to an enemy. Most bosses are best taken down with specialised slaying ammo, such as blessed arrows of demon slaying for the Dwarftown demon. General arrows "of slaying" will work well on almost anything.

* Demons and undead take extra damage from blessed weapons and missiles. Blessing undead and demon slaying weapons makes them extra effective. Most demons and undead are humaoid too, so humanoid slayers will work just as well on them.

* Weapons can be randomly generated with different special effects. "Of penetration" ignores armour, "of devastation" increases damage and "frozen" does extra ice damage. Some of them are bad effects though - "of weakness" gradually drains your strength for instance.

* Doppelgangers can easily confuse your character, and can't be hit with missiles. If you can't take them out from a distance with magic then be sure to switch to coward tactics when confused, then aggressive when you recover and want to attack.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/9/2008 at 07:08 (GMT -5) by Darren Grey]
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 at 06:48 (GMT -5)

49. Some more 'new player hints'.
Use the 'l'ook command frequently. Hovering
the cursor over a monster and pressing 'm' will
give you a good idea about the toughness of a
monster, sometimes even flat out telling you
whether or not to expect a monster to hit like a
tank or poison/paralyze you. This monster memory
will even tell you the speed of the monster,
this is possibly the most useful bit of
information for you in the early game. It lets
you know if you can outrun said monster.

50. Remember the stairs, and always know where
they are. By descending/ascending a set of
stairs, you can remove yourself from levels
that have higher monster generation rates.
Any cavernous, or wide open levels are this
way. It is much easier (and less frustrating)
to deal with these monsters 2 or 3 at a time
instead of by the dozens. Your staircase may
become covered over, if a monster shoots a
missile at you. You don't want to lose track
of those stairs, so clear them off before
moving on.

51. There are a few monsters (usually humanoid)
that are very likely to pick things up off of
the ground. I don't know why they would rather
do this than to continue fighting you, maybe
they just hate litter. You can use this to your
advantage! Before fighting some humanoids, that
you know are going to be tough, drop a few
items along your planned escape route. Dropping
a few 1 gold pieces is not expensive, and is
potentially life-saving. Even Hotzenplots will
stop chasing you long enough to pick something
up, thus giving you that 1 space of safety,
allowing you to escape to safety.

After you manage to get a few dozen adventurers
killed off (this shouldn't take too long), spend
some time browsing through your high score table.
This will give a few reminders about what monsters
and situations to avoid in the future. You will
probably notice many deaths come from monsters
that can stun/paralyze, poison or just plain hit
hit you extremely hard. Remember these monsters,
and upon meeting any of them in future games, be
very cautious when dealing with them.

Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 at 08:03 (GMT -5)

Damn, number 51 is a neat trick!

53. You will probably have figured that eating the corpses of undead beings is a bad idea. For the most part, this is true. But it may be worth straying from this rule with the corpses of some of the more powerful undead.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/9/2008 at 08:09 (GMT -5) by Silfir]
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 at 08:49 (GMT -5)

Number 51 is also greatly combined with peppering them with arrows. They stop to pick up the item you dropped, and then when you hit them with an arrow they stop and pick that up too. Hopefully they'll be dead or severely weakened by the time they get to you.
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 at 09:49 (GMT -5)

#53. is indeed great, but remember to wear an
amulet of balance for those meals!

54.Your money or your life:
Well maybe not money, but in ADOM, items are just
as good as money, maybe better. The thing is, your
inventory can really weigh you down, this is good
for strength training, but not when it comes to
fleeing like a scared rabbit. Being strained lowers
your speed and DV, both very bad. If you get in a
tough situation, drop those heavy items and try to
pick them up later. Say you get ambused by barbarians
in the early game. If you are carrying a heap of
large rations, the first move you should make is to
drop that load, to unburden yourself. The 'wasted'
turn may seem to cost you a few hit points, but the
increased DV and drastically increased speed will
most likely save your PC's life. Even if you have to
leave the food behind, it's still worth it, you'll get
more food later.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/9/2008 at 09:52 (GMT -5) by gut]
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5654 days, 14 hours, 20 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 at 10:48 (GMT -5)

Here I go again, nitpicking Darren. Sorry :D

"Slaying ammo and weapons can do triple damage to an enemy. Most bosses are best taken down with specialised slaying ammo, such as blessed arrows of demon slaying for the Dwarftown demon. General arrows "of slaying" will work well on almost anything."

Slaying melee weapons do double damage, this is the same as doing a critical hit otherwise. Arrows of slaying do either triple, quadruple, quintuple or sextuple damage. Normal critical hits with missiles are x2, x3, x4 or x5. See? Missile weapons ARE powerful :)

On top of this, blessed weapons do +50% damage to undead and demons, cursed weapons do -50%.

Great advice everyone!
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 at 11:08 (GMT -5)

Where did you get that multiplier info from? I had heard that crits do double, slaying does triple (melee and missile), and blessed/cursed does +/-50% to demons and undead. I'd never heard of missiles doing different levels of critical.
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 at 11:18 (GMT -5)

#51 might seem a bit glitchy, but actually, it's been done before in Hungarian history :)

Also, a more or less cryptic hint: Look into a monster's eye before eating it. If you don't take my advice, don't eat it either. :) My first promising character's death, that one.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/9/2008 at 11:20 (GMT -5) by Battle bunny]
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 at 11:49 (GMT -5)

gut, isn't your tip #54 a bit too detailed?

Much shorter:

"Being a packrat and a glutton slows you down and makes you easier to hit. Not a good idea if you might have to run away! Don't forget you can drop as much as you want in one turn as long as you use the Ctrl-D command!"

Inspired by the trouble of my friend with his dark elven beastfighter (Moon Sickle, let himself be disarmed by master swordsman) recently:

55: If you can help it, avoid equipping unidentified items. The very least you can do is make sure they are not cursed, by dropping them on a co-aligned altar. If you can, use a blessed scroll of identify!

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/9/2008 at 13:21 (GMT -5) by Silfir]
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 at 16:35 (GMT -5)

rmcin329 thanks for your answer about tinder thinks. I suspected that a little, but it's better to have a confirmation. Also I hadn't realized there was two items involved. I lost only one, I still have "bow with flint and steel (28)" When I lost something like "tinderbox (9)".

SMC? Is a newbie supposed to learn that relatively soon? Frankly I think many tips in this topic aren't for newbie but more for a player with a significant experience of the game even if he hasn't yet finished the game.

Who the 55? Damit ok one mmore question: How recognize if the altar is your alignment? I know my alginment is right bottom of play screen but altar, they have colors? I see one that was white in a previous game, some other are grey? And other... black??? :-)

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/9/2008 at 16:39 (GMT -5) by Doalag]
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 at 16:46 (GMT -5)

If your soul is dark from your sins, go to an altar that matches your evil nature. If your soul is pure, then perhaps you will want the shiniest, most glorious white altar instead :) If you are a balanced entity, your altar is the one that blends in with the eternal granite of the dungeons.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/9/2008 at 16:47 (GMT -5) by Battle bunny]
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 at 16:48 (GMT -5)

Doalag, these hints are honestly just the surface. There's all sorts of stuff that's way way more advanced than this. The only things that wouldn't normally apply to early game here are smithing and slaying ammo. Mid-game tactics go into all sorts of stuff like how to cross the pirahna lake, requirements for the tower, advice on tough areas like darkforge, as well as other necessary stuff like getting detect traps for the pyramid and dwarven graveyard and ways to get an AoLS for saving Khelevaster (pool or ID scumming). Then end-game tactics would go into tougher areas like the Rift and bug temple, essential areas like the later temples and the final assault, as well as how to get an ultra, powerful monsters, casino advice, etc etc. There's loads and loads and loads more stuff that's far far more advanced than whats touched on here. Anything more basic than here is probably covered in the FAQ and manual itself.
noob
Registered user

Last page view:

5918 days, 22 hours, 38 minutes and 3 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 at 17:48 (GMT -5)

56. Even bad potions aren't useless (not even potions of uselessness). Potions can be thrown and will shatter on monsters spilling their contents on them. They will usually be affected by similar effects as the player.

It seems to me this is turning into kinda rewriting the guidebook though ;)
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 at 18:59 (GMT -5)

Darren : Ok I have perhaps read too fast the manual, I'll dig it better.

The point is that I feel that many hints here can't apply to a character level 1, 7 (higher I reach for now!) and I bet even with a character like level 10 and probably much higher.

Even if they are basic hints if a character level 10, 15 can't apply them apart with a big big luck can you call that newbie char? Well ok you think newbie and that's the thread topic, I saw it more newbie char. Well at least some can apply even to a newbie char.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/9/2008 at 19:33 (GMT -5) by Doalag]
Go to page 1 2 3

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: