Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / The Master Race

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 3 pages long.
Go to page 1 2 3
Anonymous
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 at 10:25 (GMT -5)

Which race is the best?

I say dwarves because they have so high potential stats, and they just seem to get so high in St and To by the end of the game, which is why dwarves are the superior of all races.
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5658 days, 1 hour, 31 minutes and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 at 12:17 (GMT -5)

Drakelings. Good skills: alertness, music, food preservation, good strength and touhgness, best hp/mp regen combo of all races. The acid spit of drakelings can help out in the early game. It can also be used to scum insanely high stats: by starving your character before using herbs or eating strength/toughness increasing corpses you can bypass the normal limits and get stats almost two times higher than normal. Food preservation is of course handy to have when digging out those stone giants or slaughtering ogre war parties.

In addition to all that, one major turning point and tough spot in the game, the Tower of Eternal Flames is a piece of cake with drakelings compared to other races. You get a speed of 250 there, and by stockpiling spenseweed beforehand and having a few healing potions with you the damage you get isn't a factor.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/13/2008 at 12:18 (GMT -5) by J.]
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4233 days, 6 hours, 37 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 at 12:43 (GMT -5)

I second drakelings. Very flexible - they make great casters or fighters, and the regen is awesome. The tower is also made easier if you have a regen item (which you often will by that stage of the game).

Gnomes would probably be my next favourite race. They level up extremely fast, which can be handy in the early game when they're weak (though it means ignoring some quests). HP and PP regen are both good, and stats are nice (high mana means they normally get at least 3 talents). They make tougher wizards than elves without sacrificing much in terms of spellcasting ability. They also get 25% off crossbow mark requirements - very handy since most of the slaying ammo you'll find in the game is quarrels.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Portrait
zv
Registered user

Last page view:

5654 days, 6 hours, 52 minutes and 32 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 at 13:20 (GMT -5)

I third drakelings. I'll add to aforementioned advantages of being scaly the fact that with music drakelings have it easy when it comes to cats (and I think only gnomes among other races have a racial ability to dodge felines).
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3111 days, 2 hours, 6 minutes and 23 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 at 13:34 (GMT -5)

I'd confirm drakelings for the fourth time in a row, but saying "I fourth drakelings" makes me shudder in an "engrish, do not want" way... ;)

A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4062 days, 7 hours, 19 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 at 14:15 (GMT -5)

Um, a music skill value of 8 without any instrument helps you squat for cats, and later on you've got other ways to deal with them.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5821 days, 2 hours, 54 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 at 15:32 (GMT -5)

But at least you do not wince when a goblin vault drops you two mandolines.
For certain classes, I'd say orcs are the best, but generally, for random class, I'd choose drakelings as well.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/13/2008 at 15:32 (GMT -5) by Battle bunny]
Portrait
zv
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 at 15:38 (GMT -5)

Well, my experience says otherwise. First two levels you can pump music up to about 30 and if you're lucky you'll get an instrument. If you're not, trek to ID (ID has the advantage over other dungeons that you can just run away from cats and they vanish forever) and clear the first 2 levels a few times and something should turn up. It always works for me .
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

5469 days, 22 hours, 2 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 at 21:32 (GMT -5)

Second Dwarves. Gotta love the starting PV with some of those classes. Skills (detect traps, smithing, mining) are pretty good too.

Draklings are excellent for classes with low early-game toughness.
"If the bread weights that much in the draklor chain, then it's no wonder so many die of starvation.
AND - what kind of IRON RATION weights as much as an iron shield?! A dinner for four, oven included? ;)"

-Maelstrom
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4891 days, 8 hours, 54 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 at 21:50 (GMT -5)

Grey Elves. There is no race in the game that
can match them in spellcasting. I know they
make kinda lousy fighter types, but grey elven
wizards are, in my opinion, the most powerful
characters in the game. I don't know of any
other race that can allow for a victory in
under 30000 game turns. (And I think I've tried
them all!)
Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!
Portrait
FUNKtional Key
Registered user
A Die-Hard Tactician

Last page view:

5782 days, 22 hours, 6 minutes and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 at 15:36 (GMT -5)

Hurthlings, no question.

they almost always present some challenge due to low strength, low health and possibly low learning and a cursed ring of damage (or doom, things happen=)in the early game.
and they also posess a nice set of useful features like rockthrowing (first and foremost advantage which helps a *lot* eliminating stronger enemies when you still have no formidable offense), fast learning (gnomes are faster, yes, but no food preservation and stealth), decent dexterity i.e. good DV and speed, free talent is also nice.
and speakin of versatility, hurthlings are as versatile as drakelings imo, since they can make really cheesy R/C combos, like bards and beastfighters, as well as highly challenging ones, like fighters and mindcrafters (not to mention merchants and farmers=). raven-born hurthling can succeed in any class with no much trouble.
ah, they also have very nice tonedowns to the restrictions for entering quickling tree and the rift, as well

all in all, don't underestimate the small but mighty hurthlings cuz they always rOck!

drakelings are okay, don't get me wrong)
All roads lead to chaos, in the end.
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

4592 days, 20 hours, 42 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 at 17:54 (GMT -5)

I'd have to say Dark Elves.

Aside from being very cool, Dark Elves get great skills and stats. All dark elves start with Alertness, which helps tremendously with dodging nasty stuff. Spells, traps, elemental bolts/breath attacks, ect, which can save your life numerous times. Alertness is uber, and considered by some the best skill in the game, or at least a top 3 skill. You can't wish for it, so starting with it is a huge advantage.

Another excellent skill dark elves get starting off, is Find Weakness. This increases your chance to get critical hits with melee and missiles. Having this at 100 causes many of your hits to be critical. This stacks with items and class powers that increase critical strike chance.

That's not all though. A lot of dark elf classes start out with Elven Chain mail, arguably the best piece of starting equipment you could get, at 10 stones of weight and +5 PV.

Don't forget the starting stats. Dexterity can be 20+ as can mana. Learning, willpower, and perception are also generally above average. Strength and Toughness are low, but thankfully they are relatively easy to improve. A few dozen gold and some large rations, and your str can be 18 pretty quickly. Likewise, you're a good stack of herbs away from having 25 toughness. Scores in the mid to high teens are great rolls for starting ST and TO. The high Dex can translate to a starting DV of high teens to low twenties, and a speed score of over 100.

Also, at some point in the game, races with low lifespans can become a huge liability with ghost kings and the like hitting with their aging attacks. You don't have to worry much about that as a dark elf, they have about the 2nd or 3rd longest lifespan in the game.

The negative considerations are that dark elves get SCREWED on prices from Waldenbrooks, and pretty much all of them start as Chaotic, IIRC. Waldenbrooks is the most convenient shop for selling stuff for most of the game, so as an alternative you may be tempted to hoof it over to the HMV shop with your pile of Sis to get a decent deal. With multiple time consuming trips, and the HMV shopkeeper only having limited amounts of money to pay you, this can become a nuisance.

Overall, Dark Elves are very powerful. Starting off can be somewhat difficult, especially for melee classes, with the low to hit & damage modifiers and the low HPs and low carrying capacity. But once you buff your character up, you'll be doing great.
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

"Be sure to keep your distance if you don't have resistance." -DG

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/14/2008 at 18:02 (GMT -5) by Nightmare]
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5658 days, 1 hour, 31 minutes and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 at 17:46 (GMT -5)

Dark elves are also my favourite, for pretty much those reasons. They're wonderfully weak in the early game = fun to try to keep alive, but have great late game potential thanks to awesome skills and long life. Don't get me wrong, drakelings are still the best :)
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 at 08:28 (GMT -5)

Funny fact - Dark elves aren't that great on Learning. The other elven classes are a lot better in that respect. That said, it's hard saying no to alertness. Dark elves are a suboptimal choice nevertheless for classes that don't offer alertness.

Also, drakelings suck. :) Just to stir up some drama.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4143 days, 11 hours, 54 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 at 08:36 (GMT -5)

i do not think there is such thing as best race in general.
But my vote would go to hurthlings.
A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Portrait
zv
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 at 09:25 (GMT -5)

Drakelings have alertness too :D
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 at 09:45 (GMT -5)

If you expect me to have a factual basis for my statement of drakeling suckage, you would expect wrong, zv ;)
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5135 days, 12 hours, 31 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 at 10:09 (GMT -5)

We all know that different races are better for different jobs. The title implies (or at least I hope it does, and is not some neo-nazi propagande) that we should determine which is overall the better.

For instance, for every class, make a list of all races in order of preferance for that class. Number them. Add all the numbers for each race. The lowest total is your master race. Or use a modifier, like "percentage of entries in the HoF (indicating a popular character)" to give certain classes greater weight.

Another way, invent a new class: "Adventurer". It has no skills, level bonus is something like +1 or +2 to all stats (at level 6, 12, 18, 25, 32, 40, 50). It can learn spells decently well, and it can equip a weapon and fight reasonable well. A stock class.

Which race would you have to play this character?

Or we could talk about the most survive-prone race. Or the most newbie-friendly. Or the "laziest", meaning requiring less vigilance on the part of the user.

Troll - almost always bad. Slow levelling makes Ultras hard or at least annoying. Aging hurtful and potentially fatal. However very easy to keep alive in the start. And they can usually clear out the SMC for all items there. And they have good skills.

Orcs - decent for melee, but lifespan is bad. Good skills.

Dwarf - Tough, can get extra PV from a talent. A solid choice.

High/Gray Elf - Weak, magical. Semi-weak skills.

Dark Elf - Good skills, terrible shop prices is a major inconveniance

Human - Not the master race.

Hurthling/Gnome - I would call both of these "dark horses". They can be utilized in powerful ways, but probably not by newbies. Fast levelling.

Drakeling - Tough. Not too stupid. Extra attack, which also can empty a bloated stomach and be used in stat-starvation-training. ToEF is easy.

Yes mabye they are the master race. But be prepared for D:49!!!
Jhonka
Registered user
Kickass player

Last page view:

5350 days, 6 hours, 36 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 at 10:54 (GMT -5)

Drakeling is the best of all-around kickass chars. melee magic and bows, everything goes. ToEF + 3 blessed scrolls of mapping + wand of teleportation=easy acw kill(speed goes to over 300).

For skills no one compares to orcs. Orcish rangers have the most appealing skill set of all chars in the game.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 at 14:02 (GMT -5)

I suppose it should be mentioned that cold can be a hindrance to drakelings. This makes ogre magi and white dragons extra dangerous, and when playing a drakling it's best to kill these quickly before they cause you problems (unless you like the extra experience benefits from being slowed). You will always come out of D49 at speed 10. The way to deal with this is to hit yourself with some fire attack (protect your equipment first of course). Improved fireball spell, crystals of fire, deliberate alchemy failures and creating a fireball trap can all get your speed boosted high again - or even get it higher (something that can be abused at any point in the game).
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 at 21:29 (GMT -5)

D:49 will hurt, but you can wait as long as you like on D:50 (despite the corruption) or cast fire spells/zap wands (does the regular fireball wand/spell increase drake speed?).

Elves are too weak to be used by newbies or as a decent player in any sort of fighter class (which makes up the majority of classes).

Trolls have terrible leveling and low lifespan
humans have nothing for them and low lifespan

Orcs have low lifespan and bad magical stats.

Hurthling/Gnome: can be good players, especially
in unfavorable classes.

Drake: definitely a contender. Acid spit makes all the difference. Great skillset (alertness, food preservation, and music makes for stronger bards and a nice way to get rid of cats). My only objection to them is that they are neutral and aren't as good as Dwarves for several classes. They are probably the master race

Dwarf: Not too poor wizards, but Drakes may be better wizards. Dwarves have an extra Learning point, but drakes have the skilz and acid spit. Fighters, Paladins and Priests ROCK like no other race.

Here is a template for class-by-class wars (this is by no means correct, just meant to start class-by-class discussion):

Archer:
1. Hurthling
2. High and Grey elves
4. Dwarf
5. Drake
6. Orc
7. Dark Elves
8. Gnome
9. Human
10. Troll

Paladin:

1. Dwarf
2. Elves
5. Drake
6. Orc
7. Troll
8. Gnome
9. Hurthling
10. Human

Wizard:

1. Grey Elf
2. High Elf
3. Gnome
4. Dwarf/drake
6. Hurthling
7. Dark Elf
8. Troll/Orc
10. Human

Barbarian:

1. Orc
2. Troll
3. Drake
4. Dwarf.
5. High elf
6. Hurthling
7. Gnome
8. Grey/Dark Elves
10. Human
"If the bread weights that much in the draklor chain, then it's no wonder so many die of starvation.
AND - what kind of IRON RATION weights as much as an iron shield?! A dinner for four, oven included? ;)"

-Maelstrom

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/18/2008 at 16:57 (GMT -5) by F50]
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 at 00:48 (GMT -5)

I can't find any fault with any of your
picks for 1st place. Especially wizard.

For some of the other picks, I would
choose different, but ranking elves that
lowly as archers is just confusing.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 at 02:05 (GMT -5)

Elves should definitely rank high for archers - the high Dx make a huge difference. I don't understand high elves being third for barbarians either - dwarves and drakelings are much better.

Why the objection to drakelings being neutral, F50? Starting C is just a nuisance I find, and starting L means no pickpocketing (and thus no training with Yergius). Neutral is best - leaves you open for all options.
Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

5046 days, 3 hours, 20 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 at 02:15 (GMT -5)

For myself, I love Dark Elves.

I'd put Dark Elven Wizards higher on my list, merely because life is so much easier with Alertness. I've had lots of wizards die on the ToEF because they couldn't step out the way out the ACW's blast. Doesn't bother me so much with a DE.

Although DE'd do seem to get paralyzed more easily.

Elven Archers need to be much higher on that list for the above reason that Darren already mentioned. They are much better than Drakelings, Orcs or Dwarfs.

I don't mind starting a game at C. Means I have to work hard to become good, gives me a small sense of satisfaction. Especially dragging DE's that way, the dark evil buggers that they are.
Ladies and Gentleman, take my advice. Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice.

Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 at 08:30 (GMT -5)

Elven fighting classes rock! :)

Hurthling archers definitely do not deserve the first spot. They have a sucky missile weapon at start and no PV whatsoever.

And why does a high elven barbarian score third place, why the gray elven one gets second last? There is no difference whatsoever between them except a minor one in stats and that gray elves get a long bow instead of a short bow! High elven barbarians deserve to get scored as low as the other elven barbarians. Even humans are better barbarians (higher toughness, two-handed sword).

What I do agree with is the low ranking of humans in all the classes listed. Humans don't really have anything going for them, especially when compared to drakelings, who have the same skills and much better stats.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 at 08:42 (GMT -5)

Human barbarians start with an amulet of luck, don't they? About the only individual thing going for humans in the whole game. The +2 they get to Le helps to get Barbarians literate too (though not always, obviously).
Portrait
zv
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 at 08:48 (GMT -5)

Hurthling archers definitely deserve spot number one among archers - they have the easiest starting game (easily gathered ammo, 5 levels of training in thrown rocks and less marks to train up slings) and later on they can use other missile weapons as well as anyone. Not that they really need to, because grand master rockthrowers are deadly enough anyway.
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 at 10:01 (GMT -5)

Barbarians are never initially literate, regardless of Learning score (High elves and gray elves still are, though). They share that exception with the beastfighter. So even the Learning bonus is no issue at all. The two-handed sword is in my eyes the best thing human barbarians have going for them. Being lucky in the early game has a negligible benefit I'd be happy to trade in for a chain mail or something.

It's nice to be human if you want to play a druid, I suppose, them being a primary spellcaster class with rather low Learning and Literacy initially. There's no race that sucks at being a druid especially, though.

Hurthling archers? Easiest starting game? With zero PV? High elven archers are just as deadly with missile weapons right from the start, and they have good armor and a missile weapon worth using in the long run. (Granted, Grand Mastery in thrown rocks is a fine way to kill monsters, too. No slaying, though.) A good player knows how to keep opponents from closing in on the hurthling archer most of the time, but if you need to be a good player for that, it's not exactly easy, is it? Whereas even an absolute newbie can survive the early game with a high elven archer quite comfortably once he's learned not to do the real stupid stuff (like starving or try to fight off bee hives without poison resistance or whatever).

I'm not saying hurthling archers are bad, but they don't deserve spot one. There are others with better skills, better early game chances and starting equipment.
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 at 13:53 (GMT -5)

I winced when I read that about bees!

I agree about humans. The only class
that a human stands out as, is a druid.
Even then, he only stands out because
human druids have the distinct title of
being the most average character possible
in ADOM.
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 at 16:55 (GMT -5)

High elven barbarians ARE literate (see the guide at http://adomguides.blogspot.com), and they are lawful which is why I put them so high. They can also start with some decent PV I believe. I will change the rankings nonetheless

I like lawfuls because of early altars (pre level 10) and I never talk to yergius.

I've heard so much about hurthling archers that they will stay for the moment.

Elves will go up on the archer scale though.

-Maelstrom
Go to page 1 2 3

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: