Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / About identify plus curse

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 2 pages long.
Go to page 1 2
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

5848 days, 7 hours, 7 minutes and 29 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 at 11:10 (GMT -5)

I'm still very newbie in identifying and have few questions around what I quoted :

1 - When I use identify, I don't see if the item is cursed or not, blessed or not. True or false?
2 - When I have seen an item identified any exact same item will be identified when I find it. True or false?
3 - When I see an identified item in a shop, it's like if I have identified it and any exact same item will be identified when I find it. True or false?
4 - When I sell an unidentified item to a shopkeeper there's a good chance It will be identified sooner or later. True or false?
5a - If I sell an item blessed or cursed to a shopkeeper he won't sell it me back blessed or cursed. True or false?
5b - Variation from the assumption above : If I sell an item cursed to a shopkeeper AND he identified it, then he won't sell it me back blessed or cursed. True or false?
5c - A shop sell items eventually identified but never show if they are cursed/blessed or not?
6 - If I identify an item, and later find the same item with all same attributes but cursed or blessed I won't identify it. True or false?
7 - When I use an identify scroll it identify all items of the same categories in the character pack or worn by the character. Here are categories (are they true or what are the lists?) :
* All scrolls+books.
* All Helmets+Armors+shields+boots+gauntlets.
* All necklaces+rings+bracers+girgle
* All wands
* All potions
* All weapons 1H and 2H
* All missile weapons+Missiles
* All tools
* All foods (including herbs/plants/seeds)
8 - For wands there are multiple levels of identification : Usage and number of charge. In a shop, some will show only the usage from a use name, and some other will include the charges number. True or false?
9 - Scroll/spell of identification will identify both use name and charges. True or false?
10 - When you find a wand of a use type you have identified (in shop or by spell) you'll identify the use name but not the number of charges. True or false?
11 - Spell/scroll identify won't be of any help to know usage of herbs/seeds, but it's only through the skill Herbalism. True or false?

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/13/2008 at 11:11 (GMT -5) by Doalag]
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5661 days, 23 hours, 35 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 at 12:37 (GMT -5)

1) When you read a blessed scroll of identify, all the items you're carrying are identified and their blessed/uncursed/cursed status revealed. I'm not actually sure about uncursed scrolls, as I never use them :) I do know they identify one class of items you're carrying, for example all the potions, but they might not give the blessed/uncursed/cursed status. Dropping the items on a coaligned altar is another way to find out, but make sure your god doesn't hate you so he won't eat your items.

2) Most items behave this way, but not all. Some amulets and some rings aren't identified, but they still appear to be the same. For example, if the first glass amulet you find is an amulet of light, then all the other glass amulets you find after that are amulets of light, even if your character doesn't automatically identify it. There's a command to see which items you've identified, it's "\" I think.

3) Yep, if you see a scroll of identify lying in a shop, you'll know one when you see it in a dungeon. It's a good idea to check the items in Lawinotheil before going into dungeons.

4) Yep, after a while the shopkeeper will identify it.

5) If you sell a blessed item, it will stay blessed, and you can buy it back and it will be blessed. Same with uncursed/cursed. Also the blessed/uncursed status will not be identified by the shopkeeper. If you really want to know, you can pick up all the items in the shop and read a blessed scroll of identify.

6) "Detect item status" is a skill that priests and merchants have, which allows you to know the blessed/cursed status of items you find. If you don't have it, you don't know. You will just find potions of gain attributes and swords of sharpness, but you have to drop them on an altar to find out whether they're blessed or not.

7) Just bless the scroll first :) Everything will be made clear. You can dip 9 scrolls of identify at a time into a potion of holy water.

8) I'm not sure.

9) True.

10) True.

11) False. That and, well, even after you find out the names of the different herbs, you still have to find out their effects by yourself. There are two ways: one, read the guidebook, and two, try them out.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4237 days, 4 hours, 40 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 at 12:58 (GMT -5)

1 - True, unless you use a blessed scroll of identify. A blessed scroll will tell you everything about every item in your inventory. Greater identify will give a full identification of a single item, showing everything about it.
2 - True for some items. Amulets, armour, weapons, missiles and gems normally aren't auto-identified like this, but the likes of rings, scrolls and potions will always be remembered.
3 - As above. The item gets added to your "known items" as it were - you can actually hit the / key to see this list at any time. (It varies inbetween games of course, but some things are often the one description - for instance, rings of djinni summoning are quite often "ordinary rings")
4 - True, though generally later rather than sooner. Might never happen.
5 - The item will be sold back to you in the same state you sold it. Detecting the b/u/c status of an item is entirely up to the player. Sometimes you can tell by the price (particularly easy to tell in the food shop, where you can directly compare items).
6 - You won't know if it's cursed or blessed unless you have the Detect Item Status skill (priests and merchants start with this) or drop it on an altar. Normally if you find the same item later you'll either recognise it's type (eg, wand of stunning) or everything about it other than it's b/u/c status.
7 - No, the categories are split down further. Scrolls and books are seperate, as are the different armour types and accessories. If you bless the identify scroll it'll tell you about everything you're wearing and carrying. This is why it's best to use blessed identify scrolls.
8 - The identification of charges depends on the Learning stat of your character - some are too dumb to count. Any wand you find yourself will normally have the charges initially hidden though.
9 - True.
10 - True.
11 - False. You can identify herbs with the identify scroll/spell, or sometimes by using them. Once a particular type is identified all more of that type you pick will be identified too. Herbalism helps you identify them without needing this, and also lets you pick blessed and uncursed herbs (with higher skill level the more blessed you get).
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3115 days, 9 minutes and 54 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 at 13:39 (GMT -5)

7 - the categories are the same as the categories in your inventory, except that both 1 and 2-handed weapons are identified together and armour is also lumped together.

8 -Characters with Learning below 6 can't count, so they won't know how much charges are left.

Which results in a character with Le: 6 forgetting and how much charges are left in his wands while his sick, but suddenly remembering after he's cured.
A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/13/2008 at 13:42 (GMT -5) by Maelstrom]
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 at 14:51 (GMT -5)

Lol ok thanks all, I quoted, overall the better is use blessed scroll of identify. I wasted 2! I have now only one, to buy in shop.

I see that multiple times, but how I know an autel is co aligned? I took a long time before to find one then I found a second, both are old grey granit. I already did 2 offering to one and it didn't happened the same than with a previous character :

With previous character I got message from Onn that I supposed to be the god dedicated to the alter, plus a message of my god that he was pleased.

This time I only got a ground trembling at first offering and nothing at second few after. Sometimes I got a message saying "You sense a pious aura", is my god pleased with me?

My character is N=.
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4066 days, 5 hours, 22 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 at 15:19 (GMT -5)

Dark = chaotic
Gray = neutral
White = lawful

Those are coaligned altars, they can be used to determine status. The messages that you get for sacrifices are related to your level of piety. Piety is like godly favor. The more piety, the more can you rely on help from your deity - meaning you can pray and your god will actually help you.

Piety decreases over time, however, and it gets hurt especially badly if you change your deity (obviously). From what I can make out, your piety was pretty high after the first offering, but pretty low after the second.

The status of an item is determined by dropping it on an altar, not sacrificing it, but you probably know that already.

"You sense a pious aura" shows up simply when there is any kind of altar on the level.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 at 15:34 (GMT -5)

Wooo I got very lucky to get grey altars first. It's weird I don't get any messages from my 2 offering, well I'll have to experiment more on this, I offered only a tool thing (char is human) like tinderbox (6) and 200 gold.

About getting status, yes I read that, I'll have to try when I'll succeed get a message from my god. Perhaps I used healing request too much before finding an altar. I'm lost by multiple death but it's perhaps 3 healing wish when for the first char that got a god message, it's only one and for nothing as my health was already full.
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4895 days, 6 hours, 57 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 at 22:17 (GMT -5)

When you start a character, you will be able
to count on two prayers. Sometimes you get three,
but you can't count on that. If you spend many
game turns without sacrificing any thing to your
diety, then you may only get one. If you try to
ask for too many favors, without sacrificing
any thing, you will get the 'ground rumbling'
message. If you change allignment, and then
pray, before making sacrifices to your new diety,
you will probably recieve the 'ground rumbling'
message.

If you make a sacrifice and recieve the message
'your diety seems to be pleased' that usually
means you get two prayers. The message 'your
diety seems VERY pleased' means that if you
drop uncursed potions of water on the alter,
your diety will now bless them for you. The
message 'you feel an inner strength lifting
you up' means you got the lucky intrinsic.

If you get close to a diety, then change your
allignment, then change back, be very careful.
Dieties do not like such actions. They may
very well curse your inventory, turn your items
to dust, or do other nasty things, when you offer
them your first few offerings. It is best to
drop your stuff and wear only a useless item,
perhaps in your missile slot, when trying to
get back into the good graces of your diety.
Also be similarly careful, making any sacrifices
after recieving the 'ground rumbles' message.

Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 at 14:58 (GMT -5)

I suppose something very much worth pointing out here is that the best thing to sacrifice is monsters. Doesn't always work - undead, constructs and summoned creatures can't be sacrificed for instance. You also can't sacrifice neutral creatures (eg animals) on a neutral altar, or lawful creatures (eg dwarves) on a white altar. Live sacrifices get you a lot of piety in the early game. If a god is "very pleased" or better with you then he'll bless any holy water you drop on his altar.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 at 16:30 (GMT -5)

That's very very complicated, I had read the gods section in the manual but forgot it and didn't gave them the importance they really have.

After 221 days and 2 or perhaps 3 prayers and only 2 poor sacrifice it's clear my god hate me! Last level up I got ridiculous skills rises, perhaps a sort of god curse. I'll have hard time change that and will carefully apply the little cheat to remove everything before attempt change that.
rmcin329
Registered user

Last page view:

5213 days, 17 hours, 26 minutes and 27 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 at 16:48 (GMT -5)

if they try to destroy your equipment and you dont' have any, then you get cursed instead. Thats why its best to be wearing an artifact if you think your god is mad at you. They can't destory artifacts but at the same time you wont' suffer being cursed like you would for not having any equipment on you for them to destroy.
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

4596 days, 18 hours, 45 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 at 17:21 (GMT -5)

I like the idea of putting a missile in the missile slot, then taking everything else off and dropping it close by, THEN doing your business at an altar. The thing about missiles is, even if they are cursed, you can still take them off. No holy water, no scrolls of uncursing needed.
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

"Be sure to keep your distance if you don't have resistance." -DG
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 at 18:52 (GMT -5)

After to have done the puppy quest :-( , I changed to LN from initial N=. So I get rid of the angry god? :-D Let rush offering to my "fresh" new god!!

The arrow thing is nasty! I'll do it, but I hope the new god won't care of past with previous god.

EDIT: That quest is really tooo sad, I read the guide and it's almost impossible to not get it sad. I almost regret to have say the truth, but the game author is definitely a butcher that hates pets! Certainly a trauma during childhood! :-D

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/14/2008 at 19:14 (GMT -5) by Doalag]
rmcin329
Registered user

Last page view:

5213 days, 17 hours, 26 minutes and 27 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 at 21:44 (GMT -5)

Speaking of being lucky......barnabas had a scroll of danger for me at the start of the game haha, those usually take so long to find. It was cursed though admittably. Though that proved to not be a problem when i got to dwarftown on lvl 9 of the Coc and waldenbrook had a spellbook of remove curse in stock, hehe

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/14/2008 at 21:47 (GMT -5) by rmcin329]
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 at 20:25 (GMT -5)

About strange luck thing, not sure it's luck, I got a weapon generated in the shop in bandit town, the weapon worth 60k gold. :-)
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5661 days, 23 hours, 35 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 at 05:47 (GMT -5)

What is it? Probably pretty good.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 at 08:42 (GMT -5)

Most likely an artifact in fact. If it's something like Executor, Skullcrusher, Purifier or Serpent's Bite then it could be well worth stealing by picking it up when invisible. Those sort of weapons can make a character into an easy game-winner.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/19/2008 at 08:43 (GMT -5) by Darren Grey]
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 at 21:18 (GMT -5)

In fact I didn't really noticed it in the shop, it's when I died I noticed one weapon was noticed as generated and looks closer then in the shop.

In fact it's 50k not 60k and it doesn't look so amazing, it's a Scorcher Spear the attributes are good but not amazing : (+2, 3d8+1) [+2, +0] but I suppose the "Scorcher" adds a nice feature. I don't see this generation so good because I don't see waste money for that instead of keeping it for gods. I have some potions of invisibility but I read some times ago that it's not a miraculous solution to steal unnoticed in a shop.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 at 22:09 (GMT -5)

It's a decent weapon, but far from the best artifact weapon, and certainly not worth 50k in the early game. You may want to consider trying to steal it with a potion of invisibility though - they can be miraculous solutions sometimes.
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 at 22:59 (GMT -5)

Well it's the "sometimes" the problem, even if I'm using save backup, attempt this would be a total cheat because for now I cannot go without this shop. :-)
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 at 23:40 (GMT -5)

Ah, well that's the beauty of the invisibility trick - it doesn't make the shopkeeper hostile. Simply quaff your potion, pick up the item, and see if he notices. If he does notice, then fair cop, he thinks you want to buy it and it'll show up as unpaid in your inventory and he'll notice everything you pick up from then on. If he doesn't notice then you got away with it and that's it. You might get a bit of an alignment drop but nothing too tragic. Probably not a good idea to try and sell it back to him though...
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 at 06:31 (GMT -5)

It's about equal in power to an eternium spear, I think... and it adds a resistance to cold. I used it with my gray elven paladin throughout the entire game. Never did too much damage, but I was hard to hit.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 at 08:18 (GMT -5)

Scorcher is cold protection? What a disappointment I was hopping for something like a big flamethrower!

Currently my Troll's weapon is a knife that adds a bit to Strength and Toughness... Cough cough. That should looks like using a little pin to fight. Alas I realized a little late that the character creation was better to drop. It has a Strength of 20 which is very low for a Troll. I though it was ok anyway like that but I forget the Troll gigantic appetite. The result is that I'm constantly overloaded and hungry anyway! :-D A sort of vicious circle that makes me carry more because of the appetite but the overload increase it even more. :-(

About stealing the spear I have found the dwarf town so a merchant replacement in case I make angry the shopkeeper of the bandits town. I'll regret to be banished from here because I've still stuff to do there and it's the cooler place to store stuff safely.

Currently I have only invisibility, not the stealth skill or the teleporting ability so I'll delay a bit a possible attempt to steal it.

About special weapons I've found :
Poisonous battle axe of damnation; my appraising skill said me it wasn't good, I haven't attempt yet to try it. Broadsword of surrendering, my appraising skill also said something not good about it, still not tried it. I'm curious to try them but for now the pin is my weapon of choice.

EDIT : I also found a spear of the eagle but it just gives some boost to perception and a battle axe of lightning. I just check prices in shop, the poisonous thing is the better price among those but not that high, the pin I'm using as weapon has the highest price.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/20/2008 at 08:30 (GMT -5) by Doalag]
noob
Registered user

Last page view:

5926 days, 7 hours, 52 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 at 08:26 (GMT -5)

Well, damnation is probably not something you want to bring over yourself and surrendering doesn't really sound like the ultimative battle weapon, does it...
The scorcher is also a plant killer, but there aren't many around (except in a certain forest). About your food problem - have you talked to the ratling traders near the arena? They do offer some handy merchandise.
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 at 08:34 (GMT -5)

Yes I've talk to them but seriously, twenty and more of their little snack are unable to fill my stomach to satiety, apart if you have a command to eat them 20 per twenty they aren't a viable solution.

Yes according to the price of those weapons they don't really worth it, that said why see that from the negative side? Surrender is for your opponent not for you. :-)

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/20/2008 at 08:37 (GMT -5) by Doalag]
noob
Registered user

Last page view:

5926 days, 7 hours, 52 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 at 08:59 (GMT -5)

Yes, the ratling food isn't really tasty stuff. But every trader sells something different. I would recommend the cooked lizards (just buy enough)...
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 at 09:14 (GMT -5)

The problem is... "enough" eat one stuff requires a keystroke, multiples keystroke, search the item in the list, and another keystroke. Do it 20 times can't work.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 at 09:54 (GMT -5)

With cooked lizards 3 of them should get you satiated. Buy 100 of them and you'll be fine for much of the game, and they don't weigh much either.

Regarding the weapons, of lightning is actually quite nice sometimes - adds extra shock damage when you hit an enemy. Sometimes you won't cause damage with the regular attack but then the shock will kick in and kill the enemy. Scorched spear gives complete immunity to cold, but that's about as useful as its plant slaying ability. It's damage is also less than of an eternium spear. Handy as an indestructable decent damage weapon in the early game, but you're sure to find something better at some point.
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5825 days, 58 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 at 10:49 (GMT -5)

Cold immunity: arena completion.
As for cooked lizards, I'd say they are the second best source. Stomafillia is the best though. Get gold from the casino for crowning and eat those herbs. Done.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 at 11:24 (GMT -5)

In pure weight/nutrition relation, stoma is the best. You should have other food available too, though, in case you don't want to be bloated during a major battle.
Go to page 1 2

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: