Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Roguelike / Emerald Roguelike

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Branflakes
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 at 22:34 (GMT -5)

Alright, I finally got around to coding for my roguelike, and thanks to several tutorials, I'm on my way!
This Roguelike is currently on the first phase, and here is a picture: (currently, it only generates rooms...)
http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/7006/emeraldsscreenshotys7.png
Yeah, I know, 'yet another roguelike', but I have a lot of ideas, like some new features, that I've always wanted to see.
My biggest goal, though, is to make this roguelike so random that it's completely different every time you play, and I don't just mean dungeons, maps, ect. I'm going to make the plot random, and there will not be any single race or class to choose from - your character will be generated by selecting random talents and attributes. NPCs in your starting town will be modeled after you.
Basically, every time you play, you will be some new creature, sometimes more powerful than others.

Thoughts?
Lost_one
Registered user
unregistered user

Last page view:

5921 days, 7 hours, 10 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 at 23:07 (GMT -5)

it will take a while to make it good.

you'll have to have a curve to make it so that shouldn't need to generate 20+ chars just to get to a point where you can have a chance (I.E., any char that takes a wizard and spends 120+ in-game days on levels 1-2 scumming for books and have a chance to win, but no char has a 100% to not win with a skilled player)

However, it shouldn't be easy, you should definately feel the curve...it will take time to get it near perfect :P
"I have opinions -STRONG opinions- that sometimes, I don't agree with"

---Prez. George W. Bush

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/24/2008 at 23:11 (GMT -5) by Lost_one]
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4239 days, 7 hours, 6 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 at 09:41 (GMT -5)

Well the picture looks... exciting... Haha, obviously early days, but you have some nice ideas that would be great to see come to fruition. Is the whole plot random or is there an overarcing general story too?
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Portrait
BreakMT
Registered user

Last page view:

5852 days, 11 hours, 24 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 at 13:37 (GMT -5)

haha... is it your "dungeon" - only one room???
Portrait
Hendar23
Registered user

Last page view:

5656 days, 21 hours, 10 minutes and 23 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 at 14:16 (GMT -5)

Good luck mate!
"Men are born for games. Nothing else. Every child knows that play is nobler than work" - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
noob
Registered user

Last page view:

5928 days, 10 hours, 19 minutes and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 at 17:05 (GMT -5)

Random plot is a cool thing. Thought about something like that myself. It's quite challenging though because the quests should probably have some appropriate story-background and some be maybe linked by a bigger topic into main story (without getting repetitive pseudo-randomness). I guess it's possible by defining minimal fragments and puzzling them together.
Not sure about the random race - randomness sure adds to replay value, but generating a choice character is fun, too (sometimes the most fun part of a rpg). If you reduce your race to random stats it will feel rather abstract, too.
Branflakes
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 at 17:19 (GMT -5)

Wow, so many responses for just a day!

Lost_one: Thanks, I will be using a difficulty curve, so all players can survive for a while, but still keep the game difficult. I was thinking about making the world map random, but always with two parts: The main part, where everything is easy enough to get a couple of levels, but where the rewards are less; then, the second part, where the harder dungeons lie with harder monsters, where you go when you think you have a good enough char. Also, deeper floors in dungeons will always get harder, but at the end of each dungeon will be some sort of artifact or good item.

Darren Grey: Yeah, it's really exciting, lol. I think there might be a mysterious, darker plot, but you won't know much about it unless you play for a while. What do you people think?

BreakMT: Yup, it's a one-room dungeon, as of now.

Hendar23: Thanks!

noob: Good ideas! Thanks! I have a question, though: what do you mean by 'pseudo-randomness'?

All: I've been thinking, and I changed the concept of the random-race idea: You get to choose an overal race, but a lot of things are random, including stats, character description, and maybe things like how many fangs you have, ect.
So when you make a character, you don't choose "High Elf" or "Human", you choose something like "Elf-like creature" or "Human-like creature", or even "Goblin-like creature"!

Anyway, I've been working on drawing characters and making them move. I'll keep you all posted, thanks for the comments! :)
noob
Registered user

Last page view:

5928 days, 10 hours, 19 minutes and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 at 22:35 (GMT -5)

About pseudo-randomness: Often random quest based games use just two or three constant masks for the quest structure with only a small random part - like the dwarven elders first quest (slay random monster). It's a different monster every time, but if every quest in the game is about slaying a random monster it gets repetitive anyway because the quest structure itself isn't random.
Now if you look at the adom quests (kill raider lord, kill unicorn, kill quickling bard, ...) there isn't really that much variety, too, but the player doesn't notice because the quests have different flavors through the npcs and story elements. So the main challenge is generating an interesting random background over the quest mask.
Portrait
BreakMT
Registered user

Last page view:

5852 days, 11 hours, 24 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 at 11:11 (GMT -5)

i think you should make at least good dungeon generator (or map editor) before planning so much;) in other case you'll never make rlg... only plans, plans, plans... comments on 3 pages... blahblahblah... and then.. nothing;)

So, Good luck and remember - do smthng before planning and dreaming;) We all have many good and original ideas..

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/31/2008 at 11:12 (GMT -5) by BreakMT]

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: