Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / weird tome

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

THC842
Registered user

Last page view:

4458 days, 6 hours, 27 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 at 18:10 (GMT -5)

Im in the library, my stealth is at 100, ive spent 2000 turns not chatting to anyone, and the librarian wont give up the weird tome. The only messages i get are "psst" and "heed the silence" (something like that). The only thing i can think of is that i have to chat w/ him on turn 2000. Is that true? what am i doing wrong?
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4040 days, 7 hours, 33 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 at 18:38 (GMT -5)

Did you cast spells? They can't be cast while mute, so I think they have a verbal component.

The chat with the ghost librarian probably reset the timer, too.

I've been there. I've left without the tome if I couldn't seem to get it.

How did you know 2000 turns had passed? Maybe you miscalculated? Also, I don't know whether 2000 is the exact number required...
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

5024 days, 3 hours, 35 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 at 18:41 (GMT -5)

What really gets me, is when you're poncing around, waiting for the turns to pass, you go back to see the Librarian, and he's been killed by something. Either that or he popped outside for a fag and got lost. Really gripes my cookies so to speak.

Ladies and Gentleman, take my advice. Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice.

Portrait
zv
Registered user

Last page view:

5632 days, 7 hours, 7 minutes and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 at 19:58 (GMT -5)

Whenever you chat to monsters (including the librarian), timer gets reset. Also, I've read that the timer is 1000+1d200 turns and I've gotten the tome few times after waiting for little over 1200 turns or even less, but also I did not get the tome after waiting a little over 1000 turns once or two.

I don't recommend using the Crown of Science while reading books to kill time. Dooming kills your stealth.

Other than that, I can't think of anything that could help you, but I'd like to say that this librarian is a very very picky when it comes to PCs when assigning his quest.
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3089 days, 2 hours, 20 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 at 20:14 (GMT -5)

Silfir, spells are silent. Monsters don't notice them, Rehetep doesn't greet you when you start casting, the liberarian won't mind.
Fighting and shooting missiles however does make a lot of sound - Rehetep gives his speach when you hit or shoot someone, and I think he reacts to sound, unless you get in his line of view.

I usually just set the display to the number of turns passed and :w my way up to 2000+, then chat with the ghost and get the tome. Works every time, unless I press enter to many times and end up NOT ACCEPTING his quest :/
Which means 2000+ more turns of waiting (done this three times already...).
A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/26/2008 at 20:18 (GMT -5) by Maelstrom]
THC842
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 at 20:24 (GMT -5)

I casted no spells, but used a LOT of arrows cuz im a HE archer. I know about the turns that passed cuz i hit :t (i think) to change the display on the bottom right, I will try to just stand next to him and continous search for 2000 turns. Ill let everyone know.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4211 days, 6 hours, 51 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 at 11:36 (GMT -5)

Arrows and fighting don't matter - the only thing that upsets the librarian is talking (or having stealth less than 100). I normally wait 3000 turns to be sure (I check this with the turn counter). I've only once had him not give me the tome - waiting for another 3000 turns let him give it to me.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
noob
Registered user

Last page view:

5900 days, 10 hours, 3 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 at 11:44 (GMT -5)

How do you turn on the turn counter? I mostly have to rely on duration spells (2-3x SoA).
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 at 11:48 (GMT -5)

":t" changes the dynamic display from speed to a few more usefull statistics.
A realist sees a train.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 at 12:54 (GMT -5)

I rarely have it on speed myself - I'm usually more interested in action cost. I normally check the @ screen if I'm curious about my speed - it's gives info on the modifiers too. (With drakelings though it's best to keep speed on the dynamic display, since a lot of things can change it.)
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 at 13:28 (GMT -5)

Does action cost fluctuate much? For attacks, it's the faster the more skilled you are at using the weapon, for running, it depends on your class power and seven league boots or long stride, for most actions other than these it's fixed at 1000...

Speed does fluctuate frequently, though, with satiation and encumbrance. Good to know I'm at 95 speed when I'm about to try and run away from a monster.

(My friend has it on money, of all things. The same guy who refuses to use the 'w'alk command or step diagonally. Sigh.)
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 at 13:33 (GMT -5)

Speed is accesible in another way, energy cost is not.

A realist sees a train.
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 at 20:24 (GMT -5)

Yes it is. From memory, and from logic (always 1000 energy points for an action except otherwise stated for certain actions, like movement or attacks). For most things at least. The current energy cost used in missile or melee attacks is of course a bitch to find out in ways other than doing one attack and checking the dynamic display. I still prefer speed in my display most of the time, along with all my stats, because it is also a stat, a pretty important one at that.

If one were to heavily calculate his battles, to the very last energy point used or saved, he would of course need the energy points display. I'm probably not that good at tactics, and I definitely don't have the patience to learn using the energy points display for Xtreme battle prowess. I can estimate how often I get to attack before my foe, and that's usually enough.

@ Maelstrom: The verbal component of the spell may just be very, very low in noise so that neither Rehetep nor monsters of any sort will hear it, but it is there. Otherwise, you could cast spells while mute!

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/27/2008 at 20:26 (GMT -5) by Silfir]
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 at 03:27 (GMT -5)

Mute is a condition which prevents spellcasting and talking. That does not mean that spells have a sound-making component.
Logic has no place in the game world and thus the spells don't make a sound unless proven otherwise :P
A realist sees a train.
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 at 04:40 (GMT -5)

It *is* proven otherwise. If you're mute, you can't cast a spell. Thus any spell must have some sort of verbal component that makes a sound, otherwise mute couldn't prevent you from casting it.

I'm starting to think you're disagreeing with me just for the fun of it :)
Jules
Registered user

Last page view:

4742 days, 17 hours, 12 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 at 05:01 (GMT -5)

Spell casting does have a verbal component, Mute stops casting. However as I play DE Wizards as standard, I always do the library.
Every time I enter the libaray, I manage to get the quest first attempt. I cast as many spells as I feel I need to, but do not engage in any fighting.

Basically the equation for a wizard is simple, note down the number of turns when you enter, I rename my character to that value. Then obliterate everything on the level with whatever spells seem most apropriate. I prefer burning hands, powerful, doesnt bounce, doesnt destroy whats on the floor.
Once you have got all the spellbooks, if 2000 turns have passed, talk to the librarian and leave.
Never fails for me, even if I have just cast a spell the moment prior to talking to the ghost.
I cant vouch for archery or fighting though, I avoid both in the libaray.
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3870 days, 5 hours, 7 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 at 12:45 (GMT -5)

Spellcasting or melee/ranged combat, does *not* prevent you from getting the tome.
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 at 13:19 (GMT -5)

I find it kinda silly that experienced players are still overcareful in the library, when it's been generally known for a long time that chatting is the only thing you can't do in the library. A long time ago people used to think that maybe you had to lure the librarian off the level with a pet and eat a harpy corpse to get the mute intrinsic for x amount of turns, and not set off any traps or do anything that could cause noise, etc - lots of silly things. I thought by now all the fluff had been cut out and people were clear on the simple library rule - no chatting.

Regarding speed vs energy cost on the dynamic display, I do normally find speed is better in the early game, but energy cost is very handy to see in the mid to late game, especially if switching weapons a lot. I'm not going to look up my weapon skill levels and check out the manual every time I want to know my energy cost. And similarly it's actually quite a nuisance to change the dynamic display to see the energy cost, and then change it back to speed again. In contrast you can see both your current speed and modifiers with a simple press of @. Of course this is just what I prefer - I can understand wanting to have speed on display most of the time.
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4869 days, 9 hours, 8 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 at 16:34 (GMT -5)

Darren:
Are you sure that the no chatting rule
has always held true. It may have been
different in previous versions. I seem
to remember trying to get the tome,
without first leading the librarian out
of the library, in version (I don't know
exactly, but I would say probably gamma
15). I tried SOOO many times, and could
only get it by the luring method. It may
have been due to stealth reasons, of
coarse, as I don't recall taking that
into account back then.
Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!
THC842
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 at 19:13 (GMT -5)

Well, i did get the tome. The only thing i did different was clearing the level and THEN waiting the 2000 turns, i wonder if reading is a requirement while you wait for the tome. It does seem to be a bit of a mystery to most players. Just look at this thread and you can tell no one is really absolutly sure. Frick it!!!
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 at 19:29 (GMT -5)

Reading is not a requirement, most of the chars I get the tome with can't even read a spellbook of light :P I usually give all the books i find in the liberary to the ghost. For RP reasons ;)
A realist sees a train.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/28/2008 at 19:30 (GMT -5) by Maelstrom]
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 at 20:32 (GMT -5)

gut: I've spent a little while looking back over the records, and there is an example of the weird tome being received in the library without using mute in g16p2. ToGu was the first to get the tome legitimately, back in g15, and for a long time everyone followed his technique of using teleportation or pets to lure the librarian out (Raymond Martineau's Spoiler FAQ back then cited this as the only way to get the tome). I think perhaps it was just general confusion about this that caused people to not try simpler methods (in particular the turn requirement and the stealth requirement were completely unknown). It wasn't actually until 1.0.0 that it became more widely known (through accident in fact) that the requirements weren't so strict. Perhaps it could be tested with an old ADOM, but I feel fairly confident that the current conditions are the same as before.
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 at 21:06 (GMT -5)

I've had problems with getting the tome when I entered the Library with Stealth not yet at 100. I increased it to 100 later, but I simply didn't manage to get that tome. Because I was too stupid to change the dynamic display to turns passed, I calculated by stomafillia intake, and I think I forgot to take artifact food consumption into account...

I'm probably going to modify my skill description of Stealth for the Druid guide.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 at 21:18 (GMT -5)

Um... wow. Didn't you consider just looking at the game time passed? Calculating the consumption rates plus satiation levels etc must have been quite tricky...
vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

4928 days, 14 hours, 22 minutes and 27 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 at 02:36 (GMT -5)

Stealth 100, no 'C'hatting, watch 2000 turns pass on the turn counter has always worked for me. I never got to the library unspoiled, so thats the only technique I ever used.

Do ancient dragon types see invis? (for the stupid acid breathers)
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 at 05:10 (GMT -5)

I'm prone to idiocy in my ADOM games. Thankfully, these cases of idiocy have gotten less critical thanks to experience.

My second winning character got his inventory turned to dust three times trying to convert an alter - and it was always his *complete* inventory, as I was too stupid to only wear artifacts even after the first time it happened. Also, I used the mana orb by accident. With a fighter. Two and a half completely unnecessary corruptions.

Note that he still won :)
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5636 days, 1 hour, 46 minutes and 3 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 at 05:19 (GMT -5)

Yep, ancient dragons see invisible.

No talking in the library. Swords and axes clashing into monsters' flesh making them scream in agony, and shouting spells of exploding fireballs is concidered silent behaviour and acceptable though.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: