Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Food shop emptied

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

5843 days, 23 hours, 21 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 at 15:56 (GMT -5)

I'm at the beginning of the game, only saved puppy and was trying the elder quest at level 6/7 of the cave.

Alas now I have emptied the food shop, don't have any food or just one iron food, don't have much gold to pay stupid prices of the thieve shop for some food.

Is my game dead? Can't I force a restock of the food shop? Pray god to get some food? Anything? I don't have wilderness, can cook but doesn't have the tools.
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 at 16:11 (GMT -5)

Well eventually it seems I found a solution, a little boring but at least I'll probably survive. The little girl seems to have an infinite stock of candies so I'll stock enough of them to continue the game. :-)
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 at 16:21 (GMT -5)

Well... died of starvation in a food shop... Can I say sometimes I hate this game?
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4232 days, 20 hours, 54 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 at 17:21 (GMT -5)

Very rare to do this, but it can happen. Munxip will restock after a while, but it can be a long time. Still, normally you can collect enough food in the early game dungeons for it not to be an issue. Why didn't you just hunt in the puppy cave cavern or somewhere else for rations and corpses?

Normally by the time Munxip would run out of food you'd have already advanced beyond the early dungeons and onto the Caverns of Chaos, where you can soon find cooked lizards as a great source of food. Perhaps in future you should not let your characters hang around the early areas too much.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
noob
Registered user

Last page view:

5922 days, 6 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 at 18:15 (GMT -5)

Why didn't you just eat your pets? ;)
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 at 20:01 (GMT -5)

Yep I tried eat all people of the village then all pets but I just got few bones, the logic isn't clear, I killed ton of stuff and couldn't get anything from it to eat and avoid starvation? Stupid.

I didn't let this character hung around, it's the reverse I never played that fast the beginning, puppy dungeon then the cave village. The point is I never collected so few stuff to eat so gradually eat merchant stock. I also admit the lack of food preservation was a pain I didn't manage that well. I tried eat any stuff asap after take it but sometimes forget do it and 3 steps after lost it.
EmptyOne
Registered user

Last page view:

5403 days, 21 hours, 51 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 at 20:35 (GMT -5)

When Munxip gets low on food, walk over to the CoC, head down to the arena and buy from one of the ratlings. Lizards are the best thing to buy.
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 at 14:42 (GMT -5)

Yes that's what I should have anticipate and done. In fact I think this will even be my plan for my next character. 1 puppy, 2 cookies, 3 small cave, 4 village cave.

I took back a savegame when I still have few foods, not enough to go to the arena level but I attempt the Darren suggestion to use Puppy caves. It's true that at level 5 there's a steady flow of monsters. But currently if I didn't die yet I haven't either succeed to build a food stock.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/31/2008 at 14:45 (GMT -5) by Doalag]
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 at 16:11 (GMT -5)

The point is that this char is a dwarf with no food preservation skill and no tool for cooking, a deadly combination, deadly for the char itself. The inability to eat orc except when starved plus no ability to keep any corpse is just killing.
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 at 16:58 (GMT -5)

Ok so here how it finished. I tried apply the Darren suggestion. It didn't worked in order to make a food stock, but I get few more money by wandering puppy cave level 5, plus many through a large area unexplored of level 6.

At this point I decided that with the money, despite high price of bandit shop, I could buy enough food here to travel to cookies paradise.

At village I stocked bounties guarded by a pet (thanks I didn't follow noob advice to eat them) and before going to bandit shop I try gave a look at village shop... full of foods, saved!

I'll be able to prepare carefully cookies expedition, I don't think I'll have more food problems in this game, thanks all for the advices, that game put me in a dark humor and you help save me from it! :-D

I was wondering why in all recent games I had food problems even if not critical, all my last games was with dwarf, that's certainly the point.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/31/2008 at 17:00 (GMT -5) by Doalag]
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5135 days, 2 hours, 48 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 at 19:30 (GMT -5)

Food preservation also makes more corpses appear, you know.

Dwarves are so tough, you might as well head right over to the Main-cavern, and look for some helpful ratlings to buy food from...
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

4592 days, 10 hours, 59 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 at 21:16 (GMT -5)

I just sell lots of junk to the black market in Lawenilothel, that's usually good for a few hundred gold if I'm desperate for ration money.

I have never, in about 500+ games, had Munxips food shop run out. If I knew it were about to, I'd grab up the last remaining rations and head to the COC for cooked lizards, rather than waiting for the shop to restock.
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

"Be sure to keep your distance if you don't have resistance." -DG
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4890 days, 23 hours, 11 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 at 23:19 (GMT -5)

Another suggestion for gathering food safely
in the early game, is to use the infinite
dungeon. It's the tan asterisk, a bit below
the village dungeon. Just repeatedly climb
the staircase between levels one and two,
and you will generate plenty of food. While
your in the dungeon, eat the heavy stuff,
like large and iron rations. Save the light
food (like melons, dwarven sausages, fresh
meat and so on), for later.
Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!
vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

4950 days, 4 hours, 25 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 at 02:44 (GMT -5)

I've had games in the past when I had an early altar near Terinyo in at not quite dangerous enough dungeoun and I tried for a precrown. Sacking all the monsters means no food droops, then I would empty Munxips shop fairly quickly. Sometimes waiting for it to re-stock can be a bit tense if your are feeling hungry, but as last resort, as gut says, the ID is full of flavour.

These days, if my PC starts off reasonably deadly (eg a high Le Ma wizard, or a high St To fighter guy, or any archer), I have found skipping all of Terinyo, swimming the river, and heading straight for the Arena actually has a certain simplistic charm about it. I would love to close the gate before Day 90 one day, rather than Year 3 <sigh>.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 2/1/2008 at 02:45 (GMT -5) by vogonpoet]
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4061 days, 21 hours, 36 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 at 04:44 (GMT -5)

You can do that in a normal game, if you don't scum too much, hang about in the wilderness too much and find seven leagues relatively early.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 at 05:08 (GMT -5)

I have troubles in the mid game I guess - when everything works well, I get my healing/herbalism, pickpockets and detect traps, kill Kranach, kill Hotyz, and probably find a dead puppy, and leave Terinyo before Day 10. Which feels like an ok pace.

Getting ready for the Tower takes me ages though.
And I don't normally find 7LBs until sometime after Griff, Skeletal King, and Darkforge dealt with.
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 at 08:01 (GMT -5)

What do you do to get ready for the tower?
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 at 08:21 (GMT -5)

Well search for some fire resistances obviously, get my HP above 200, find a second fireproof blanket, find some way of slaying worm. Become hard as nails.

I guess its entirely possible my tower paranoia is a problem - I like to be up around level 23-25 by the time I take on the tower, unless a Troll.

I also tend to want the water orb before taking on the tower, which means saving the damn sage. At what point in a game should I give up on him anyway? I tend to find day 90 passing before I find my AoLS. Stupid pools.
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 at 16:06 (GMT -5)

Well, that all sounds reasonable to me! As long as I have the resistances and the HP and the way of dealing with the wyrm, I don't care about level, though.

I usually give up on the sage once I've nearly played through all the other dungeons, cleared all pools in Darkforge or elsewhere and checked out the Water Dragon's loot. If I'm not lucky enough to have gotten a wish or an AoLS at that point, I just know there's a wand of wishing waiting for me on D:17.
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4890 days, 23 hours, 11 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 at 23:18 (GMT -5)

I usually give up on the sage as soon as I set
eyes on him! I'm sure Khelly hates to see me
coming... "NO, stay away! Don't chat with me
you moron! I can keep on living for months on
these stairs, as long as you don't chat with me!
Go away! The water orb isn't that great anyway.
10 points of willpower for my life!? How cruel
are you!? C'mon just go look for the necklace a
little while eh? I'll give you a nice spellbook
of teleport, I'll give you an eternium dagger.
I'll give anything! Just STAY AWAY! NOOOOOO!"
Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 at 04:35 (GMT -5)

That fool should've mentioned the six scrolls of chaos resistance, eh?
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

4592 days, 10 hours, 59 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 at 21:05 (GMT -5)

Blessed, no less. Maybe if he used them he wouldn't have been in that predicament.

I always wonder. I hear from people who've attacked him in Terinyo after saving him, that he is very powerful. So what kind of monster brought him to within an inch of his life? It can't have been those pathetic chaos servants.
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

"Be sure to keep your distance if you don't have resistance." -DG
SirMason
Registered user
Paladin of the Shining Citadel

Last page view:

4738 days, 16 hours, 25 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 at 21:36 (GMT -5)

Easy. He stepped on an explosion trap and spent the majority of his life force killing off a disgruntled companion.
You pick up the Wand of Do Nothing.
'z'...
Nothing happens.
't'...
The Wand of Do Nothing misses the kestral. Come on, it's a Wand of Do Nothing!
Lost_one
Registered user
unregistered user

Last page view:

5914 days, 20 hours, 58 minutes and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 at 23:03 (GMT -5)

and THAT is the reason why I gave up taming stuff in the claw bug temple...
"I have opinions -STRONG opinions- that sometimes, I don't agree with"

---Prez. George W. Bush
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

4690 days, 15 hours, 16 minutes and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 at 09:29 (GMT -5)

Getting back to food:

When I first arrive in Terinyo, I always pile all the shop's food into one corner. I do not know if this encourages restocking, but everytime I return, more food has arrived (which I then pile in the corner again)

I have never run out.
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 at 14:09 (GMT -5)

Interesting, I'll try that at my new game, there's no guaranty that this work as I had put the shop to a very low stock then to zero and didn't get a restock until some time, but it could rise the chance to get a restock.

One point that I didn't applied always when I should, it was to eat immediately any corpse I can if not already satiated.

About food preservation, even without the skill, I won't be surprised if a char improves this as time and experience pass.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 2/5/2008 at 14:12 (GMT -5) by Doalag]

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: