Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / What i learned (YAVP)

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

THC842
Registered user

Last page view:

4457 days, 17 hours, 46 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 at 17:51 (GMT -5)

HE archers are one of the best!!! Found 3 RoDS and SLB early on. Found crown of fire RIGHT b4 trying the ToEF. Crowned w/ divine boots, found Natures companion nad got the Runce covered trident early cuz' of Raven birthsign. And i had lots of demon, humanoid, and regular slaying ammo. But, heres what i learned.....

1) slow monster exp. trick is the greatest, jumped up 300,000-400,000 exp. by killing ONE stone grue on d:48. It looks like slow monster increases exp. x10. Killed two greater titans in game, one was worth about 30,000, the other was 300,000 because of slow monster.

2) learning at 32 with literacy of 100 DOES NOT mean you can read books. Even w/ those stats (32 is good right?) many books exploded, blinded me, confused me, and so on. Is it inherently better w/ wizrds and such?

3) SLB are so very, very important. My first victory took about 190 days (maybe, not too sure) and this victory took about 88 days. I never really understood till i saw these numbers.

4) Smithing is nice, but for me, a waste of time.

that should cover it. thanks
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4210 days, 18 hours, 10 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 at 18:19 (GMT -5)

Well done! I rarely play archers seriously - partly because I'm too much of a pick pocket fanatic.

Slow Monster generally doubles xp gains in my own experience. It may be that the second greater titan you faced was simply a lot tougher.

Wizards are most definitely inherently better at learning spells. Though I'm still surprised you had trouble with Le 32 on a high elf - normally elven archers aren't too bad off for learning spells.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
THC842
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 at 21:03 (GMT -5)

I forgot....

5) potion of uselessness does not always yield an artifact. In 1st victory it yielded the amulet "preserver". In this last visit to :49 i got nothing, not even a message. Ithrew it on the floor, not the wall.
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5113 days, 4 minutes and 51 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 at 08:37 (GMT -5)

5) You need to throw it so that the PC moves. I threw wrong way once and got nothing either. That might be it.
2) Spell learning is (as the Manual states) very class-dependant. Still I would have though better for your archer, considering they have concentration. But that goes to show, archers probably have pretty low modifier, probably intended from the Creator - shoot arrows, not spells. Like Mindcrafters, they are smart, "magical", have concentration - but spellbooks are near impossible due to class-modifier. Intended for balance.
3) For an archer, I would very much agree. Combine with those fast-firing-missile talents and high missile skill and you have the fantasy world equivalent of the machine gun, fire then fall back & repeat.
1) Yes. Dependant on your regular speed of course, some mathematical calculation. However, 30000 and 300000 does not mean 10x increase, mabye the second one was higher level than the first. That stone grue on D:48 does give a lot more exp than his friends in the Earth temple, right? Might have something to do with it. Also you could put on boots of slow shuffle to give more exp, and become bloated and strained!. Very low speed possible then.
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5635 days, 13 hours, 4 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 at 14:07 (GMT -5)

If it's so hard for achers to learn spells, is there any reason to raise the conentration skill? Does it have any hidden abilities or is it just to increase MP regen? Fast MP regen seems pretty useless if you're unable to learn spells...

How about if you happen to learn the spell from a potion of wonder, then try to read the book to increase spell knowledge? Is it equally difficult?
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4039 days, 18 hours, 52 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 at 16:22 (GMT -5)

Yeah, I think it is, J.

Reasons for archers to increase the Concentration skill are twofold:

- Minor increases to to-hit with missile attacks.
- Archers *can* learn spells. Don't expect to be super-proficient with Acid Ball, or to be successful reading every time, but you'll get a good stock of castings for spells like Slow Monster, Teleportation, Farsight, Darkness or Cure Light Wounds. Of course, since you don't rely on spells in battle a lot, you won't need PP regeneration that much, but it's still a factor. I'll agree it is one of the lower priority skills to increase, but any PC runs out of useful skills to increase at some point.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4868 days, 20 hours, 27 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 at 23:09 (GMT -5)

If any non-spellcaster really wants to read
books (like teleport, if you save Khelly),
they should probably spend a bit of time
searching for a special room. The one that has
the message 'The walls of this room are made of
many small stones of uniform height', it can
really improve your chances of learning the
spell, and help avoid nasty side effects. If
you don't generate one of these rooms naturally,
you can stairclimb in the ID for a while. They
aren't common, but they aren't rare either.

Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4039 days, 18 hours, 52 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 at 04:35 (GMT -5)

Good thinking!
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Lost_one
Registered user
unregistered user

Last page view:

5892 days, 18 hours, 14 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 at 05:08 (GMT -5)

Concentration should also help you read.

Its kinda hard to concentrate on learning from a book if you can't concentrate to save your life :P
"I have opinions -STRONG opinions- that sometimes, I don't agree with"

---Prez. George W. Bush
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5113 days, 4 minutes and 51 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 at 19:17 (GMT -5)

I think spell knowledge from other source helps. I would, in fact, bet a sizable amount of money on it.

You can always book-cast a spell once learned. And PP regeneration from concentration makes it worthwhile to use this as at least a backup attack. Non-conc. classes should limit themselves to the occational utility spell. And still be amazed at slow PP regen.

But again, archers have little need for anything magical. Them bastards
THC842
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 at 19:29 (GMT -5)

well, i dont remember having concentration skill. If i had it, i maxed it early and forgot about it. As far as the uniform height room, i tried but it had almost no effect (teleportitis made it even more difficult) It was dissapointing to learn that, but now i know its more of a class thing. i will remember the uselessness trick (i have to move)
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 at 01:34 (GMT -5)

I think the birthmonth would have an effect
also. Being born in the month of the book
should help a lot, but I don't know about
the other 'magical' months. Maybe being
born in, say, the month of the sword, might
be a big drawback. Do you remember what
star sign your PC had?
THC842
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 at 18:41 (GMT -5)

Raven, i got rune covered trident at level sixteen
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 at 19:19 (GMT -5)

Oops. Guess I skimmed over that in the original
post. Raven, I suppose is not exactly a 'magical'
month. It might have had a small influence on
book reading. I am surprised that the 'book'
room didn't help much. I have, in the past, had
a lot of success with it.

THC842
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 at 16:30 (GMT -5)

yes, it was rather frustrating, but in hindsight i shouldnt have cared cuz archers w/ slaying ammo is as good as a few damage spells. THe only spell i really needed was slow monster and maybe revelation (i like to know whats going on)
Ashandarei
Registered user
Spearmaster

Last page view:

4909 days, 23 hours, 50 minutes and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 at 14:55 (GMT -5)

The grues on lvl 48 are 'orb altar guardians' and thus lot more experienced than 'ordinary' temple grues.

Are you sure that the 30K exp greater titan was not a regular titan? Greater titans are usually +600K exp depending on danger level creation, one of the toughest monsters in the game IMO, all elemental and acid immunities and their missile attacks HURT. Luckily archers can dodge their incoming missiles.
The rust monster touches your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster. Nothing happens. You laugh at the monster's pitiful attempt.
THC842
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 at 16:17 (GMT -5)

it was a greater titan for sure, i guess it was just on lower danger level

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: