Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / What I learned about pets

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 2 pages long.
Go to page 1 2
vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

4956 days, 1 hour, 41 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 at 03:57 (GMT -5)

You could try surrounding the stairs with doors wandwise, then digging around the top of the forest, if you have enough pickaxes. Trees will still spawn in your corridor, but you or your pets will only have to face them one at a time...

...No doubt about it though, the forest is a pain in the ass.

If you do try the other path, my tip - if you get any interesting messages after you have gone down the stairs, just get out of there.
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

5849 days, 20 hours, 37 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 at 14:46 (GMT -5)

Thanks for the advices. I haven't yet enough doors to build a path to north. Ok for the other path, leave it if it is interesting! :-)
Portrait
Ancient_pink_dragon
Registered user
So I was talking to a dark elf

Last page view:

5707 days, 10 hours, 28 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 at 18:57 (GMT -5)

Hur. You know the tree place is a pretty good area to train strong pets, e.g Lichs, Dragons, (fire ones are good) golems etc etc. Though watch out, I once had an extremely experienced Animated Tree spawn in the corner, I died.

|                   |
        |Great treasures are|
        |    Buried Here.   | 

You attack the Ancient pink dragon with all of your force, but do not mange to harm it! The Ancient Pink Dragon breaths a deathray, poision, fire, acid, ice, lightning, water, corruption, missle, petrefication, and stun breath at you. All of your equipment is torn apart! You die...
#######################################
..-------------------------------D%$[(%

Robojesus_gintfrg St99 Le99 Wi99 Dx99 To99 Ch99 A99 Ma99 Pe99 L++ Dv/Pv 1500/1500 H -5843(18857) P 99999 (99999) Exp50/48320283474958492 ID:48374 Spd:5833 Blessed Invisible Bloated
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 at 15:51 (GMT -5)

It's not cool to get stronger monsters that look the same to other weaker in same room. How strong are those pets (lich/dragons) in comparison with the greater claw bug or killer bug? Per curiosity do you have their stats?

About pet leaving you, I'm playing a farmer and it behaves on this point like a bard, no pet leaving. That said despite it's a drakeling with music skill I haven't yet found any music instrument so this is with the original pet and with pets tamed with food.
Portrait
Ancient_pink_dragon
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 at 17:48 (GMT -5)

Let me think. If I remeber correctly my dragon was at level 21 had DV of 39, and PV of 20 or so. It's max HP was 367 attacked 3-4 times, could do 56-98 damage, and had a speed of 107. Though he had no resistance to death rays.
You attack the Ancient pink dragon with all of your force, but do not mange to harm it! The Ancient Pink Dragon breaths a deathray, poision, fire, acid, ice, lightning, water, corruption, missle, petrefication, and stun breath at you. All of your equipment is torn apart! You die...

Robojesus_gintfrg St99 Le99 Wi99 Dx99 To99 Ch99 A99 Ma99 Pe99 L++ Dv/Pv 1500/1500 H -5843(18857) P 99999 (99999) Exp50/48320283474958492 ID:48374 Spd:5833 Blessed Invisible Bloated
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 at 06:00 (GMT -5)

Thanks, that means at level 1 your dragon had :
DV 25 PV 16 Hits ~287 attacks 1 or 2 Damages 50-92

Interesting to compare with bugs:
greater claw bug level 21:
DV 44 PV 16, Hits ~76 Attacks 10 Dmg 13-16 Spd ~120

killer bug Level 21:
DV 64 PV 28 Hits ~118 Attacks 10 Damages 19-25 Spd ~150

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 2/16/2008 at 06:17 (GMT -5) by Doalag]
Portrait
Ancient_pink_dragon
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 at 15:37 (GMT -5)

Ah! If only he stayed tame, oh well! I had it as a companion for my High Elven Wizard, (the one I am currently playing, and have gotten to COC D:45 to). To clarify things.

I also have a blessed scroll of familiar summoning, think I should try, and use it right now or if I mange to close the ChAoS gate?

Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 at 17:01 (GMT -5)

Yes your karmic dragon was a cool pet. I don't think there's any solution to avoid them left one day or another. If they are tamed pet they can be tamed again, eventually (I lost one but tame again more than 10 that had left).

With one of my previous char I had such a scroll but I didn't tried it, as few statues including one that was really heavy, 4000s, but I forgot try all that and now I want try them, no statues, no scrolls, nothing. Ha well, I like my current zoo but I don't see yet how I'll manage the forest with this new char and his zoo.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 2/16/2008 at 17:02 (GMT -5) by Doalag]
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3116 days, 13 hours, 40 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 at 17:06 (GMT -5)

Statues don't turn into creatures, they might leave wands if kicked down.
It's Figurines of Wonderous Power which turn into creatures.
A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
Portrait
Ancient_pink_dragon
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 at 01:10 (GMT -5)

I've never seen a figurine of a wonderous rat. Has anyone else?

Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 at 01:19 (GMT -5)

They don't seem to drop, but shops of them are generated.
It's frustrating, especiacially when you get a figurine shop at early levels.
A realist sees a train.
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4896 days, 20 hours, 27 minutes and 51 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 at 02:38 (GMT -5)

Just for kicks, I once used pasted commands with
a hacked PC, and wished for over 2000 figurines
of wondrous power. Rat figurines were one of
the most common, and were able to be generated
in low danger level areas. More dangerous
figurines only seemed to be generated in high
danger areas. I didn't do extensive testing on
that, but I did do some.

I went to the SMC at exp. level 50, and pacified
it by means of locking white worms in a large
area. I read about 300 scrolls of danger, then
did the wishing. It resulted in many figurines
of high power, like dragons, doppleganger kings
and such. I actually still have that save file.
I was thinking about wishing up some hostile
monsters, and pitting them against my figurine
pets (arena style), just to see who the baddest
monsters really are.
Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!
Portrait
Ancient_pink_dragon
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 at 13:31 (GMT -5)

You should definetly try that. Than you can post what happened for kicks. Btw I've never found any figurines, someone mind telling me what happens when you use them?

Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 at 13:49 (GMT -5)

A monster is created - a hostile one if the figurine is cursed, a neutral one if it's uncursed of a tamed one if it's Blessed.
A realist sees a train.
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 at 19:45 (GMT -5)

And the scroll of familiar summoning? Or the scroll of summon monster?

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 2/17/2008 at 19:45 (GMT -5) by Doalag]
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4067 days, 18 hours, 53 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 at 20:31 (GMT -5)

I believe the scroll of familiar summoning behaves similar to figurines. Hostile monster if cursed, tame or friendly one if blessed. Not sure about uncursed scroll.

What is a scroll of Summon Monster? :) There is a wand of monster creation, and it always creates hostile monsters, just like the Summon Monsters spell does.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 at 14:24 (GMT -5)

Ok thanks, I can't find some save backup with scrolls I had in mind, anyway you're certainly right about the monster summon.
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 at 16:49 (GMT -5)

I have made a lot of updates to some sections among those at the beginning of this thread :

Few days ago, I fully rewrite the section 2 - Pets level up:
* I correct a lot of things and rewrite the section 2.1 - Values get from the stethoscope.
* I added the section 2.3 - Pets bug influence on level up.

Today I also made some big updates:
- I added the section 2.2 - Pets not generated at experience level 1.
- I totally rewrite the section 3 - Best pets in the game beginning. Now its contents is mainly a table with the stats for most of the best pets available during the game beginning.
- I totally change the section 4 and even renamed it to : 4 - Comments about the pets in the beginning. Now it includes various comments about each pets in the table of the previous section.

CAUTION : Most sections of the beginning of this thread was written only with bard in mind and need rewriting from a more global perspective. The point is that bards (and probably farmers) have a special behavior for pets:
* Once tamed they never left apart if you attack them or sometimes if you trigger an explosion trap that hurts them. With other classes a pet can quit, that's rare but can happen and the conditions of this aren't fully clear. If this happen you can tame again the pet but sometimes the condition to retame it aren't good.
* Also bards (and probably farmers) cannot hurt a pet when they are in the dark, they only push the pet. For other classes, moving in dark with pet around is dangerous, if they move on the place of a pet they attack it so untamed it. I haven't tried to tame again with music still in the dark, it could works and be a way to repair the problem, but the safer is to take care to light the area.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 2/29/2008 at 17:06 (GMT -5) by Doalag]
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 at 17:45 (GMT -5)

To complete a little this topic :
Ancient_pink_dragon wrote :
...once had a karmic dragon for a pet.
It betrayed me while I was leveling it up
in the animated forest....
I got the message.
 The Karmic Dragon stands still for a few seconds

I got this message too once. Usually when a pet leave you you got this message :
"You feel a change of mind in a being close to you". I suspect you get the rare message above when you see the pet, but the pet doesn't see you to leave you, eventually your sight range is higher. But strangely I got this sentence for a karmic lizard, so it could be a sentence for karmic pets but I'm almost sure to have karmic lizard the left me, not in sight and got the "change of mind" sentence.

About pet leaving you, I have some hypothesis that need more testing to be confirmed :

- Pets never left Bards and Farmers except when when they are attacked by the character or sometimes (not always) when a character trigger an explosive trap. (need a confirmation for Farmers and it's possible that other classes or even some races get this pet bonus too).

- With CH above 20 I suspect a pet won't leave you anymore if you trigger an explosive trap that hits the pet. (Need a confirmation, I quoted it few times and never quote a pet leaving with CH above 20 when hurts by an explosive trap. But I got only few cases, I never trigger door traps but only sometimes some ground traps).

- With any CH level, if a pet trigger an explosive trap that hurts another pet, none with left you. (Confirmed : I clearly quoted this multiple times with CH 12 and more, with various classes (Bards, Priests, Farmers).

- If you aren't a Bard or a Farmer when a pet don't see you anymore there's some probabilities that it will left you. It's rare but with bad luck this can happen even if it doesn't see you only during a short time. The chance this happen seems dependent of the CH, the higher is the CH the lower is the chance the pet left you. (Almost confirmed : I got multiple pet leaving, I had sometimes some big change in CH level and clearly quoted the difference.

EDIT : Some changes above:
- I removed a rule about CH 40+, I did more testing on that and it shows pet can leave you when they don't see your char and your class isn't bard or farmer. It's just that the higher CH lower the chance this happen.
- I removed a rule about pets in wait mode that lower the chance they leave. That's what I felt when I played but deliberate testing shows there's nothing obvious. Plenty test should be done to get high numbers and more exact stats

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 4/2/2008 at 19:27 (GMT -5) by Doalag]
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 at 18:33 (GMT -5)

Still to complete a little this topic, one more section, about potions :

7 - Pets and potions
You can use a potion on a pet by putting a potion in missile slot and empty the long-range weapon slot. The throw the potion to the pet.

The main use of this is to throw a healing potion to heal the pet.

But some potions have some other interesting effects, more investigation should be done about this but here are the first results I got :

All potions I tested don't hurt the pet but make it aggressive so you have to tame it again. The only exception I quoted are the healing potions, they heal and didn't make the pet wild.
Blessed potion of raw mana:
 Effect: Makes the pet invisible during a limited time.

Blessed potion of troll blood:
 Effect: The pet gets definitive +5 To Hits maximum.
    I tried test healing rate and it seems that this isn't changed.

Blessed potion of gain attribute:
 Effect: The pet gets definitive +5 To Hits maximum.

Blessed potion of potential TO or ST:
 Effect: The pet gets definitive +20 To Hits maximum,
    only +10 if the potion isn't blessed.

Blessed potion TO or ST:
 Effect: The pet gets definitive +20 To Hits maximum,
    only +10 if the potion isn't blessed.

Blessed potion of uselessness:
 Effect: None quoted

Blessed potion of potential DX and potion of DX:

Blessed potion of potential LE and potion of LE:

Blessed potion of potential Beauty and potion of Beauty:

Blessed potion of potential CH and potion of CH:

Blessed potion of potential WI and potion of WI:

Blessed potion of potential WI and potion of WI:

Blessed potion of training:

Blessed potion of carrot juice:

Blessed potion of booze:

Blessed potion of holy water:

Blessed potion of wonder:
 Effect: The pet is confused during a limited time.

Blessed potion of balance:
 Effect: The pet is calm down but still aggressive.
    Needs to be tested on a pet not already wild.

Blessed potion of exchange:
 Effect: The pet is changed to an untamed monster (animal only?).

Potion of healing (base, extra, ultra):
 Effect: The pet is healed and is still non aggressive and tamed.
    I never quote any increase of the maximum Hits but didn't test so many times.

It's fun to quote that the game author take care of details about that. The result aren't uninteresting:
- For Trolls, this can be a good use of potions of troll blood that they can't drink. Eventually for some class, the troll corpses could be keep for the character and the potions of troll blood for a pet.
- But I feel it interesting too for potions of potential for ST and TO. The pet hits level increase isn't bad and I don't see those potions that precious, at least for some classes.
- For a character with no healing spells, the healing potion can be a little help but well it's certainly better to keep them for the character.
- For some potions I couldn't quote any effect by looking the pet details of with the stethoscope but perhaps there are some hidden bonus for some potions.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 4/1/2008 at 18:35 (GMT -5) by Doalag]
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4067 days, 18 hours, 53 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 at 11:25 (GMT -5)

Strength and toughness potions ARE pretty valuable, so I wouldn't waste them on a pet. Potions of potential strength and toughness on the other hand...
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 at 19:01 (GMT -5)

Yes I agree. Anyway if you look at it closely in a pure term of efficiency, pets worth nothing. They don't worth the lost of time, they don't worth the lost of experience, they don't worth the various troubles. So the same goes for potions for pets, it's not efficient to use potions for them.

That said efficiency is just one point. In fact with my priest I used PoP ST and TO on one pet but I also used the potions of troll blood. Anyway for the very slow game I'm playing I think it doesn't matter, heal reg worth nothing in comparison to healing spells.

I regret the potion of pot dex seems to give nothing, I was hoping speed increase or something. I'll do more test if I find more potions, cumulation could change something. Also the test I did was very basic, the best would be to take two pets, level up them a bit to ensure they are tougher and then use some sort of potions on one but not the other. Also the carrot potions worth a try in a carrot room.

I doubt there's any other effects that those immediate and observed with a stethoscope but you could imagine many thing, for example the "looks harden" message for potions of WI is intriguing.

About the message above about pet leaving, I made few more testing and CH 40+ doesn't ensure no pet leaving. It probably only reduce the chance this happen at each turn a pet doesn't see you. Test on big numbers should be done to get more precision but if testing it is easy it's also long and tedious.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 4/2/2008 at 19:30 (GMT -5) by Doalag]
Go to page 1 2

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: