Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Best Yet

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

TommyDFunk
Registered user

Last page view:

5863 days, 23 hours, 40 minutes and 17 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 at 11:51 (GMT -5)

Well I have been playing ADOM for about 5 years and still have no win. I normally get cocky around CoC 35 or so and get myself killed. I have only managed to save Kelly twice.

I have a Dark Elven Wizard looking great. I started by Diving the UD and luckily got a pick axe while doing it. Went from there to the CoC where I precrowned in CoC ~ 6 and was given Hammerhead. Not the best but now I know I can dig in to the ToEF. I have been lucky with spell books, only level 14 and already have a couple of Ball spells, high in both lightning bolt and magic missle, Waldenbrook had Seven Leauge Boots. Thundararr asked me to kill a flesh golem. I went and killed the black druid, and found the dead puppy. Found and killed the Flesh Golem. While I did that I was constantly training stats with herbs. Now I have my TO up to 24 (started at 10) WI at 28 and MA 32 (Lots of Book casting - mostly Streangth of Atlas)

I am Doing well when the best thing yet happened. I went down to CoC 16 and saw poor ol Kelly sitting on the down stairs. Now I normally don't wait, I let the old man die and continue on. For some reason I run from the Chaos Servants and the orc I run into drops an ordinary ring. Now I have save Khelly, have intrinsic invisibility (pool drinking), Crown of Fire(That gives immunity to fire right?) and a great chance to go far.

So have a few comments/questions 1ST - Why in the hell is the Druid so attuned to cats. It seems almost every time I take the Druid quest I run into five or six cats on his level. I try to save them but I killed a couple in the dark. After I did that I killed several while taming the big room(only 2nd time I've done that) So how powerful will the cat lord be? I've killed about ten cats.

2nd - How much does book casting train MA? I have been book casting the Atlas Spell along with Cure Light Wound, Knock, and Remove Curse. I have a max MA of 42 - can I train it that high with book casting?

3rd - I have never been crowned before and was wondering if the 3 levels per artifact applies to crowning. I know it applies to pre and post but can I get crowned now? Not sure if I want to - I have lost a few good chars to corruptiona and getting crowned C- speeds up corruption right?

Anyways thanks for any help you can give me and I will keep you guys posted on the char.
THC842
Registered user

Last page view:

4479 days, 6 hours, 30 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 at 18:42 (GMT -5)

1- The catlord will be tough, either avoid him for awhile or start training your missle weapon skill, find wand o web, and humanoid slaying ammo. his speed will be around 135, dv/pv is around 60/5.

2- dont know.

3-The 3 levels per DOES NOT matter, just make sure you are L+, N=, or C- and absolutly close and you will get crowned.

if any of this is wrong, these guys will correct me, ive learned so much here
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3592 days, 9 hours, 17 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 at 18:51 (GMT -5)

Just get enough TO and speed to survive 4-5 hits from the Cat Lord and lead him to another level where you can teleport. Bolt him long enough and he/it? is dead.
Play in short amounts of time, btw, it will definitely increase your chances of survival. I've been playing for slightly over five years myself, and only won once: last year with a drakish thief after restraining myself to a couple of hours a day.
For the Horde!

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 2/7/2008 at 18:52 (GMT -5) by Mewto]
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4890 days, 9 hours, 11 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 at 19:19 (GMT -5)

> Crown of Fire(That gives immunity to fire right?

Crown of fire does give fire immunity, and it is smithable.
It is made of iron, but I've never known one to melt, so it
should work well for the ToEF.

> So how powerful will the cat lord be?

Even if you kill just one lonely cat, the Cat Lord can be a
DANGEROUS enemy. Rely on potions of blindness (cursed potions
of invisibility) or potions of confusion for your first attack
against him, as they are 100% effective. Wands of webbing,
paralyzation, and poison are a great follow-up.

> 2nd - How much does book casting train MA?

If there is an upper limit, as to how high you can naturally
train the Mana stat, I do not know it.

> was wondering if the 3 levels per artifact applies to crowning.

Nope. You can get crowned at any exp. level, regardless of
the number of artifacts generated. Getting pre-crowned does
increase the amount of stuff you need to sac, to get crowned.

> getting crowned C- speeds up corruption right?

So I have heard, although I havn't gotten crowned chaotic
in a loooong time, so I can't give you an idea of how
MUCH faster. Unless you are roleplaying, you might consider
switching alignment.

I know you didn't ask for advice on the tower, but as the
ACW can be dangerous, I'll mention a few things to keep
in mind.

The frost bolt spell is especially useful against the grues
and demons, but not the ACW. Use acid or lightning bolt
against him. Don't kill all of the grues and demons that
are between you and the ACW, use them as monster shields,
to keep the ACW from getting a clear shot at you. Use
potions of blindness (cursed PoI) or confusion to fling at
the ACW, if he gets near you. Don't be shy about drinking
your blessed PoEH, if the ACW hits you with his energy blast,
Remember that the Water orb, plus the Sword of Nonnak give
an extra 15 points of Willpower.

Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3592 days, 9 hours, 17 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 at 19:37 (GMT -5)

"Being crowned a champion of chaos will cause 2 - 3 immediate corruptions in addition to making further corruption faster."
~Teh Guidebook
For the Horde!
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4061 days, 7 hours, 37 minutes and 3 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 at 21:31 (GMT -5)

Getting crowned chaotic with a wizard? I say beat the game uncrowned! The immunity isn't worth it (especially since you already have that fire crown, taking care of the most important immunity), and while some of the artifacts are nice, they aren't that worth that extra corruption. I mean, you saved Khelly, so you can afford it, but I wouldn't risk it.

It's not that much trouble to get neutral again, is it? How deep did you get yourself into C-?

The damn cats are the main reason why I rarely do the Keethrax quest anymore, in fact I do it only if I have Healing and want Herbalism. The other reason is that you only get a crappy artifact and a spellbook plus wand. Okay, the spellbook can be worth it if you haven't found it before, and the artifact, albeit useful, seems to still be good enough for a ratling, but have mercy upon my poor soul! Screw Keethrax and his goddamn cats!

Jharod gives you potentially infinite potions of ultra healing. No one can beat that.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4890 days, 9 hours, 11 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 at 23:01 (GMT -5)

Wizards are quite likely to get the Staff
of the Archmagi as a crowning gift. Which
is a let down to say the least. It's a
two-handed weapon, so using it means no
shield (not to mention it's other down
sides).

As a wizard, or any other PC that starts
with the Herbalism skill, you don't need
to do the druid quest right away. You can
wait until you have a few 'cat protecting'
spells in your arsonal first. Teleport,
invisibility, calm monster, slow monster
and even the darkness spell can help you
evade those kitties. Wands and scrolls
work for non-spellcasters.

Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5657 days, 1 hour, 49 minutes and 13 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 at 05:39 (GMT -5)

Just a general hint: the effects of increased/decreased corruption for C-/L+, paladins, monks, etc aren't as big as it would seem at first glance, as background corruption is added in increments of 1-2. Plus/minus 10-30% doesn't have ANY effect here. These bonuses come into play when dealing with large amounts of added corruption at a time, like using orbs and eating corpses(emperor moloch level and ChAoS of course...). As a wizard you shouldn't get hit by corrupting monsters much either, so I'd say it's pretty safe to get crowned chaotic.

Crowning has plenty of upsides like permanent blessing and being able to wear more artifacts without increased foor consumption. You might want to go for it.

Also, come on, getting crowned chaotic is just plain cool&awesome. You know you've always wanted to...

Keethrax's level contains only animals, and lots of them, so yeah, the cats are a problem. Think about the upside, there's usually also a couple of giant slugs lurking about, so don't forget to bring your bows&arrows of hunting!

Here's the cHaOtIc EvIl CoDeDiVeD iMpRoVeD gUiDeBoOk InFo On CoRrUpTiOn, read at your own peril...

Spoiler
0.10.2.1 Background corruption
As mentioned above, the PC must eventually enter areas where background corruption occurs. Areas with no corruption flag set:

* Small Cave before day 90
* Uninteresting Dungeon
* Dusty Dungeon lvls 1-2
* Village Dungeon
* Druid Dungeon
* Puppy Cave
* Caverns of Chaos lvls 1-9
* Infinite Dungeon lvls 1-9
* Wilderness
* Gremlin Cave
* Dwarven graveyard
* Water dragon cave
* Greater White Unicorn Glade
* Terinyo
* Lawenilothehl
* High Mountain Village
* Old Barbarian's Glade
* Mad Minstrel's clearing

Otherwise, the corruption points (CP's) gained depend on a Danger Level (DL) in particular area. Refer to section 0.13.15 for the list of areas and their DL's.

Thanks to Vladimir Panteleev for the following information.

No other corruption occurs if:

* the current level has the NoCorruption flag set (see the list above)
* DL < 10
* the chaos gate is closed.

The background corruption is applied once every N turns. If the PC is doomed, that's TWICE every N turns:

if (TurnNumber mod N=0) or (Doomed and (TurnNumber mod N=1)) then

(this is how mathematicians/programmers say once normally and twice with doomed intristics per N turns)

N is calculated based on the DL the PC is on.

* ID: N=CorruptionSpeed[ Max(Min(90,CurrentIDLevel)-10,0)/20 ]
* ID 67: N=20
* Levels with Danger Level>40: N=CorruptionSpeed[ (DangerLevel-5)/10 ]
* Other N=CorruptionSpeed[ (DangerLevel-10)/10 ]

CorruptionSpeed is a 5-element array

* CorruptionSpeed[0]=20
* CorruptionSpeed[1]=15
* CorruptionSpeed[2]=10
* CorruptionSpeed[3]= 5
* CorruptionSpeed[4]= 2

Put in words, N can be 2, 5, 10, 15 or 20. The smaller N, the faster the corruption. In the Infinite dungeon, N is 20 for levels 10-29, 15 for levels 30-49, 10 for levels 50-69, 5 for levels 70-89, and 2 for levels 90 and above. The exception is level I: 67 (the special level with MaLaKaI) where N is 20. For other areas, N is 20 for DL 10-19, 15 for DL 20-29, 10 for DL 30-39, 5 for DL 40-44, and 2 for DL 45 and above.

If the background corruption is to be applied on this turn:

* 1 CP is always applied
* if the current level is in the CoC and DL > 45, +2 CP
* chaos plane: +1d100 CP's
* emperor moloch's level: +1d33 CP's

Now, there's a bug in the corrupting code. This is how it SHOULD have worked.

* +1 CP if it's beyond day 90.
* +2 CP if it's beyond day 180. (cumulative with previous)
* +3 CP if it's beyond day 270. (cumulative with previous)
* +4 CP if it's beyond day 360. (cumulative with previous)

However, only the first line is executed - the 90-day limit.

Being L+ decreases corruption by -30%, L or LN -10 %, C- enhances corruption by +30%, lawful Unicorn-borns -10%, L50 farmers and lawful paladins -30%, L50 monks and druids -10%.
(See, it's not getting crowned that makes you get corrupted faster, C- alignment alone is enough. Beware, DE Necromancers! Also, let's see: Unicorn born L+ L50 farmer, 10+30+30=70% resistance to corruption. Not bad. -J.)

Note that since background corruption is applied only by 1-2 points, the above do not affect its speed, but major corruptions, such as eating chaotic corpses etc. The "crowned as champion" status does not affect corruption speed. By the way, 1 corruption = 1000 CP's.

Note that a corrupting level can be made less so, or even completely noncorrupting, by reading scrolls of peace. These reduce the danger level, and thus the corruption rate of the current level. Bless the scrolls before reading them. The number of scrolls required depends on the level. If Dwarftown is generated on D: 10 or D: 11, for instance, reading two blessed scrolls of peace will probably stop corruption. On the other hand, if it is necessary to stop corruption on a particular level of the blue dragon caves, approximately nine scrolls of peace are required.

If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 2/8/2008 at 05:44 (GMT -5) by J.]
Lost_one
Registered user
unregistered user

Last page view:

5914 days, 6 hours, 58 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 at 11:34 (GMT -5)

this is a SPOILER DISCUSSION

remove that tag!
"I have opinions -STRONG opinions- that sometimes, I don't agree with"

---Prez. George W. Bush
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4232 days, 6 hours, 54 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 at 11:38 (GMT -5)

Regarding book-casting, it can train your Ma right up to 99. However the amount of training depends on the amount of PP used (actually it's generally considered that it's actually PP regen that trains the Mana, no the use of PP). This means that the higher the cost of the spell the more it will train your Mana. One book-casting of Create Item is better than 20 Cure Light Wounds. Concentrate your training on the more expensive spells like Revelation, Identify, Remove Curse (the latter two handy to use often anyway) and at higher levels Petrification, Death Ray and Create Item.

Also I think the spoiler tag should stay - it concerns code-dived stuff. Some of us are a little touchy about that...
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 2/8/2008 at 11:43 (GMT -5) by Darren Grey]
TommyDFunk
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 at 14:32 (GMT -5)

Well I am still doing alright. Not playing for too long does help my survival. As for changing alignment I just can't bring myself to play a non-chaotic dark elf (Unless it is Drizzt - the lawful DE Ranger :) Although I have decided not to get crowned. I have yet to find a fireproof blanket and naturally just minutes after starting today I hit a fireball trap and lost several SoCR so I put the rest in the old barbarians Glade for safekeeping I find it a very handy spot to gather items. I have also lost several of my spellbooks that I was bookcasting from.

So now I need to find that blanket - probably going to scum the ID - how deep should I have to go before one is likely to turn up? Not really very fond of the ID - I get bored quickly. Also I have been playing with drakish scuragi (found some nice returning ones) and love it, but I don't think there are any of the slaying types. Am I wrong? if not I probably will start training bows. Well I'm back to work. I hope to get past the ToEF this weekend, but still am taking it slow.

Thanks for the help
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

4690 days, 1 hour, 16 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 at 15:06 (GMT -5)

Hmmm, if Ma training is based on PP regeneration, then the vial of Caladriel combined with the Druid's island are great for Ma training.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4232 days, 6 hours, 54 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 at 20:34 (GMT -5)

The phial doesn't work, strangely. Nor does mindcraft, in my experience. It must be PP drained by spells. The general point was that number of spells cast doesn't matter - just amount of PP used up.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

4949 days, 14 hours, 25 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 at 03:42 (GMT -5)

Mindcrafters get kinda screwed by the PP and Mana stats really, in comparison to Wizards... seem to recall Gods won't regen a mindcrafters PP, you can't cast from HP, and you need potions/wands of wonder and a bit of luck to train your mana with bookcasting.

Wizards have it easy in comparison....

Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

4591 days, 21 hours and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 at 06:16 (GMT -5)

I think boomerangs are the only thrown weapon capable of having the "of slaying" suffix. Of course, scurgari of death are pretty damn good.

Problem is, scurgari are more of a novelty item. The amount of arrows & quarrels you find, combined with all the nice slaying ones, makes bows and crossbows the best missile weapons in the game. Running out of ammo sucks bigtime.
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

"Be sure to keep your distance if you don't have resistance." -DG
TommyDFunk
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 at 17:30 (GMT -5)

Well I figured I would update you guys on my sadly lost game. It was the best I have done. I was able to get all of the orbs and made it to D49. you may ask how I could die on D49. Well I was carrying everythinng I had found in a recent Fire Greater Vault with several named dragons and was out of PP from using the mana orb on D48. As I was 'w'aiting trying to recharge my PP my Streangth of Atlas spell expired and I didn't notice.

Having the best character I have played die so close and by being crushed by my equipment makes me feel so so so stupid. Well I learned a lot with this game and I feel confident I can take a wizard to a win fairly soon.

I think I will try a gnomish weaponsmith so that I can try the ventriliquism. I have never used it before. I really haven't used the smithing skill that much and would like to check them both out.
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4061 days, 7 hours, 37 minutes and 3 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 at 17:35 (GMT -5)

Oooh... That's harsh. Don't worry, we all have losses like that in our ADOM history. That which does not kill you makes you stronger, and that which does kill you makes you smarter.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: