Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Maximum Precrownings

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 3 pages long.
Go to page 1 2 3
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4232 days, 14 hours, 29 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 at 00:29 (GMT -5)

I've long thought about this, and over the last few weeks I've been trying to achieve it. Imagine getting to level 50 without generating any artifacts, then getting enough piety to pray for 15 precrownings. After that you could proceed normally through the game, wiping your arse with everything you come across. Would be kinda cool, eh?

My plan was this: use dragon doubling to get enough gold for piety (scummy yes, but better than piety loop abuse in my eyes, and not without its risks) and then find a GM threat room in the ID to gain the necessary xp. Sac and pray^15.

My first attempts were with Cup-born gnomish merchants, to minimise the xp necessary. Plus... well, I liked the idea of them. It just seemed right. Especially the thought of a greedy merchant after every artifact he can get... First attempt went surprisingly well. Gold-throwing got him through the early levels, and after a while he was running fine. Got to level 20-something from VD, PC, UD, early CoC and early High King's levels. Had one surge of power, but that was okay. Unfortunately died to an accident with some gold (tried picking up 8 million pieces with the wrong girdle on - told ya this method had its risks).

Second attempt got further - got the necessary gold, got Purifier from an early precrown, and at level 26 dived down to the depths of infinity in the hunt for GMs. Unfortunately ran into a great white wyrm, and forgot to equip his ring of cold resistance - stupid death. Third attempt didn't get anywhere near so far - death to a master mimic in the high kings dungeon.

And now I'm on my fourth attempt... and with this one I've been a bit stupid. See, some masochistic part of me thought it doesn't really matter what race/class combo I use, since when you get a threat room of GMs it'll take almost any character to level 50. And so, for a laugh, I decided to fire up a trollish merchant...

Well, I soon ran into xp problems. After clearing all the usual areas I was only level 16. I had to clear the top level of the ToEF (not the wyrm of course) just to get enoguh xp to enter the Rift. In there I managed to scrape up another level, and then decided to head off to infinity. Pickpocketed BoW on the way out (I'll not lose sleep over that!), and along with early precrowns I'd claimed (Preserver, RoR, Ironfist, Wyrmlance) I felt ready to go for the dive. At this stage I had high enough stats to take on D50 I reckon... I had the 2 billion gold I needed for saccing safely stowed in Yergius's old house in seperate piles to come back to once I was high enough level to use it.

Well, after killing a few GMs I began to see the real folly of trolls. This guy needs 50m xp to get to level 50. The gnomes only needed around 11m. I got lucky and found a threat room of GMs, and after some slow and careful killing (luring them out 1 by 1 in case of moloch armour drops and gradually hacking at them with my sword of sharpness till they died) I had gotten up to level 30. That room would have gotten a gnome well past level 50...

So, well, I've spent a bit more time in the depths of infinity (hopping up and down the stairs between I41 and 42), and a phase dagger and SLBs I've found are making killing GMs easier. When I can find them. I'm now level 34 with 20m xp. Just another 30m to go. That'd take about 60 greater molochs (on top of the 28 I've already killed). Having just found a RoDS I'm considering my options... yeah, you know what I'm thinking.

I've only done the wish for emperor moloch with a super powered character, and I'm not sure I want to risk it with this fellow. I have very few slaying arrows, so my phase dagger is the only way to take them out. Hulking armours would be a considerable worry, though with strength of atlas I could make sure they don't get near them. Most importantly I have no on demand teleport (I have the mana battery corruption, and only 2 PoCC and 1 SoCR).

Spending more time in the ID isn't good though. I have 9 corruptions already, including the annoying mana battery, unholy aura and ape corruption (none are important enough to spend my precious PoCC on though). The hope of finding more threat rooms of GMs is slim. If I return to the surface then with the level I'm at now I could claim another 4 precrowns - with some luck I could get a demon/humanoid slayer to help.

So, for those who use the emperor moloch wish more regularly, what are the best ways to do it? What's the best location, and how do you keep them under control? Any other tips in case I decide to try this out? How many GMs do you actually get? I'm kinda worried one wish won't even be enough...

Another thought - corruption-wise, I'm high enough level to get the white unicorn quest if I need to. Hopefully that won't be necessary though.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

4949 days, 22 hours and 18 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 at 02:23 (GMT -5)

Wow you must be pretty damn patient, I am impressed. My one half decent troll (also a merchant) never made it higher than Level 39, and that was after clearing all the balors on D50. To get to 34 in the ID must have taken ages and ages...

Sadly never wished for the EM, although someone suggested labyrinths as being good - top level of minotaur maze perhaps? Except you have no access without teleporting now right? Hmm.

Without teleporting, taking them all on hand to hand sounds pretty dangerous to be honest.

Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4890 days, 16 hours, 46 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 at 02:32 (GMT -5)

I would highly recommend on demand teleport, before
wishing for the emperor moloch. Even SLB's aren't
the same. If the teleport spell isn't an option,
then I would say clear the 'mana battery' corruption,
and get the teleport wand from the VDDL. Actually,
it MIGHT be safe enough, even if you have only a
single scroll. If done carefully. The one teleport
is essential though, due to the GM's all being
summoned close to you upon wishing.

If you make your wish in the far right hand side
of the old barbarians glade, the GM's should all
be generated on the right hand side of the water.
Teleport to the other side of the water and bling
them... I mean shoot them to death with missiles.
Alternatively, you can temporarily leave your water
fortress, and lure them one by one, into your death
trap, via the narrow opening in the water to the
left.

I'm pretty sure that 1 wish for emperor moloch,
should get you close to exp. level 50. If memory
serves, each moloch gives about 1 million exp.
points, and each wish generates about 36 GM's.
Of coarse, that is not universal. Each PC will
benefit more or less, maybe extremely more or
less. Also each GM may give drastically different
amounts of exp. points, and there is also the
speed of the PC to consider, as well as how
many GM's you have killed so far. So you could
come up many levels short.

In your ID dive, were you stair climbing and then
listening for a *THUMB*, or waiting for a threat
room? In my experience, listening for the *THUMB*
yields better results. The threat room could be
anything, but the *THUMB* is always good. Well
maybe not molochs, but the rest are good. I think
greater titans are the most exp. point rich
monster that you can find that way.

Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4061 days, 15 hours, 11 minutes and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 at 04:30 (GMT -5)

Molochs don't *THUMB*. Only greater molochs, titans and greater titans do.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 at 01:37 (GMT -5)

I've been looking for THUMBs, threat and tension rooms. About half the mixed tension rooms have included a GM. The problem with listening for THUMBs though is that if they're in a threat room they won't move, and so won't make that sound.

Both GMs and greater titans give me 500k xp at the moment. 36 GMs wouldn't really be enough, though it'd obviously help. Very little slaying ammo though, and no teleport (I don't have enough corruption removing stuff to get rid of mana battery, nor do I have any teleport scrolls) so I guess it's out of the question anyway. Will carry on with my ID scumming till I'm corrupted enough to need the white unicorn's services...
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 at 05:39 (GMT -5)

Bwahahaha! It is done! Took a bloody long time, but I got there in the end. Eventually found spellbooks of Slow Monster and Teleport - the former helped immensely with xp, whilst the latter helped with corruption. GMs didn't help much in the end - they were only worth 250k xp, and a tad rare. Threat rooms of all types were what got me the necessary experience. Titans and greater elementals especially.

I got back to the surface after my long lurkage underground, and picked up my stash of 2 billion gold. A bit of saccing and praying got me Soaker, Protector, Staff of the Archmagi, Whirlwind, Serpent's Bite, Skullcrusher, Black Tome, Hammerhead, Executor and Crown of Leadership. Tasty... Only took 190 million gold overall. Not sure which weapon I'll choose - probably Executor, as it has a special place in my heart.

Strength is now 98 thanks to a ring of weakness I found and numerous giant tension rooms, and most other stats are pretty decent. Have 14 corruptions, including some annoying ones, but might keep them for now since I have one of the quickling tree requirements. I intend to generate every artifact I possibly can now, and get a general max artifacts character. Not sure where to start really though... Have 2 RoDS from my travels too. Will save one for Khelly, and might spend the other on SLBs (my others got destroyed).

Corruption will be a big issue for the rest of this game, but it's something I'll have to worry about later.
vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 at 07:12 (GMT -5)

So, no pyramid, and possibly no minotaur maze - I can't remember if the stone block covers the stairs or just the entrance to the maze - maybe it is possible to teleport in???

Should be fun screaming through the mid-late game with your PC, all should crumble in your path...

You will have to give 6 artifacts to the stupid ratling in order to gain access to just two more? how does that fit in with your plans???

Some sort of ultra ending is presumably on the cards, I would be really tempted to kill Thrundarr for claiming I need to improve my combat skills in the Arena as a level 50 PC if I were you.

EDIT:
One last question: what day you on?

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 2/25/2008 at 07:13 (GMT -5) by vogonpoet]
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3110 days, 9 hours, 58 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 at 07:24 (GMT -5)

No minotaur maze, you get the stone block cover when descending the stairs.
Also, be sure to get Rolf's Sucky Duo ;)
A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
Portrait
Ancient_pink_dragon
Registered user
So I was talking to a dark elf

Last page view:

5701 days, 6 hours and 47 minutes ago.
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 at 09:51 (GMT -5)

Jesus your character generated that many monsters in a ID dive? I gotta try doing that.
You attack the Ancient pink dragon with all of your force, but do not mange to harm it! The Ancient Pink Dragon breaths a deathray, poision, fire, acid, ice, lightning, water, corruption, missle, petrefication, and stun breath at you. All of your equipment is torn apart! You die...
#######################################
..-------------------------------D%$[(%
#######################################

Robojesus_gintfrg St99 Le99 Wi99 Dx99 To99 Ch99 A99 Ma99 Pe99 L++ Dv/Pv 1500/1500 H -5843(18857) P 99999 (99999) Exp50/48320283474958492 ID:48374 Spd:5833 Blessed Invisible Bloated
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 at 13:22 (GMT -5)

I got Rolf's axe, but didn't receive the shield (it's random whether you get it or not). Ratling will indeed be fed - I don't care about owning the artifacts, generating them is enough. Don't think I'll bother with ultra though - been there, done that. Will be killing Thrundaar later to get the raw steel equipment. I might end up killing everyone in the game. At least all shopkeepers must die - can't put up with competition...

Visited the water dragon and got her trident, did the dwarven quests, got the RotHK and claimed the fire orb. Will go back to mommy water dragon later since she has a RoDS and the ring of immunity. Cleared the quickling tree and bug temple, and did the white unicorn quest to get myself cleaned up. Will have to return to the library later for the tome, and then plough through the caverns of chaos. Hunger rate is quite ridiculous at the moment wearing all these artifacts, but I have plenty of stoma.

Did a load of extra Arena challenges for the fun of it - was quite interesting actually. All the monsters had way more HP than usual, and gave big amounts of xp. One grey ooze I fought gave 270k! (and that was with my speed at 180) I'd recommend any trollish character to come back to the arena at high level to get some badly needed xp. Boosted learning before training with Bart and thankfully got Tactics started at 100 (at level 50 skill increases are obviously spartan).

Found some new SLBs, so I'll have three wishes to spare soon. Will try raw chaos dipping to get the amulet for Khelly, but if that doesn't work then I'll use a RoDS to get one. Not sure what to use the other wishes on... Certainly have no equipment needs. Will save one in case of dire corruption later.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 2/25/2008 at 13:23 (GMT -5) by Darren Grey]
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 at 13:34 (GMT -5)

Just after posting I dug a grave in the dwarven graveyard and got Far Slayer. This guy is having some nice luck with random artifacts so far...
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 at 14:12 (GMT -5)

And, alas, I pay the price for posting here about my achievements. I suppose it was inevitable that something would go horribly wrong.

Signal 11 error after giving Khelly his amulet. Unrecoverable crash. And no, I never backup (too tempting to restore if I do something stupid, and this is only the second serious crash I've ever had).

Think I'll take a break from this challenge for a while. Next time I'm sure as hell not going to go near a troll...
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3110 days, 9 hours, 58 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 at 14:50 (GMT -5)

You mean you don't always fight in the arena untill they say you're invincible and won't let you fight?

I always do that...
A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 at 20:01 (GMT -5)

I have had 3 'Khelly crashes' in the last ~4
months. Strangely enough, I have never had the
game crash there when I kill him, only saving.
Now I cringe, every game that I actually get to
give him an AoLS. Is it my imagination, or does
it happen more often when hitting the enter key,
instead of the spacebar after talking to him.

I have tried MANY times, getting to exp. level
50, only in the ID. I wasn't trying for maximum
artifacts, I just wanted to get the levels. I
tried many different race/class combos, and one
that seemed to work well for me, was a gray elven
druid. They had a hard time getting offensive
spells, but with stairclimbing, they would come
eventually.

Druids and priests seem to find a lot of utility
spells. Once you have a good assortment of those,
you can make a very deep descent, even at low
levels. Darkness/invis alone can protect you
against most tough monsters. All you need, to
take out some GM's, is the acid bolt and teleport
spells. Also, the druid's animal friendliness,
helps a bit for the early levels.

Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 at 20:16 (GMT -5)

Maelstrom: I usually do early in the game, for the money. But evidently there's an advantage to leaving it off until you're character is high level and struggling for experience points.

gut: I have heard before about Khelly crashes being reasonably common. I guess I'm lucky it hasn't happened to me before. From now on I'll be cringing... I didn't press enter to skip his text though - to be honest I normally do, but this time I felt like having a proper read of it again. I want to do the challenge with merchants again. I just like the idea, dunno why. I'll stick with gnomes next time though...
vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 at 03:17 (GMT -5)

Damn these crashes suck.
I think I am going to have to start backing up my games again. Its all just too painful. And I never seem to have any PC's available for doing testing either, which is a bit of a shame...
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5134 days, 20 hours, 23 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 at 17:49 (GMT -5)

Well done, Darren. Not on the crash, but that other thing. I thought you were crazy when you said you played a TROLL, but I guess proving that it can be done that way sure makes for an interesting game-variant. That many precrowns almost guarantees a great game-winning artifact.

Sort of an ironman-inspired playstyle - go into ID, and stay till you have level 50. Then go get precrowned. Must...try....
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 at 13:19 (GMT -5)

Well, now my stubbornness has stopped me from beating this challenge. Got a gnomish merchant to level 23 and used dragons for the necessary gold. Decided to get all the immediate artifacts I could, but upon saccing and getting to extremely close each time I found I couldn't get the last one. I had missed an artifact. I already had the black tome generated in a shop, and the thought of another reduction in the number of precrowns I could get was too much. I quitted, and it turned out to be Serpent's Bite - there's no way I should have missed that.

The game had become boring anyway. The char had poor luck with equipment, and even going through the tower with Executor was no fun since I had to rely on spense to survive. I tihnk next time I might try a thief - been meaning to win the game with one of those anyway, and the heir gift is mighty tasty.
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 at 16:18 (GMT -5)

It is possible to pick pocket artifacts, that
would again limit precrown possibilities. I don't
play thieves a lot, but aren't they more likely
to get artifacts than other classes. Should be
safe enough early though. Seems the safest way
to avoid generating artifacts would be to only
use the ID. Lack of herbs does hurt though.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 at 19:10 (GMT -5)

I had considered just using the ID, but it would be very difficult to build up the necessary equipment for the deep levels (since items are limited to 1/3rd the danger level). It's very handy to use the early dungeons for altars and get some of the initial precrowns before descending to the depths of infinity.
Sulangatori
Registered user
Tourist

Last page view:

1434 days, 19 hours, 54 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 at 07:50 (GMT -5)

A grey ooze gave you 270k xp in the arena? How does that work?
vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 at 07:55 (GMT -5)

By doing the 20? extra fights there you can get after receiving the gladius, before the arena master doesn't want to play anymore, and because those extra 20 fights are always random, and generate monsters which reflect the power of the PC at the time, a bit like the black druid - if you generated the black druid at Level 50, he would be an interesting fight.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 at 08:14 (GMT -5)

I've heard the black druid is of similar power to Nuurg-Vaarn at level 50, though thankfully without death ray.
Narcolepcy
Registered user

Last page view:

4799 days, 15 hours, 39 minutes and 10 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 at 20:25 (GMT -5)

I'd bet whoever does this will use a wish engine.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 at 14:52 (GMT -5)

Why? It's quite achievable without. And getting a wish engine set up would require the right shops in the early dungeons (you wouldn't have enough PoEx otherwise). I actually think dragon gold-doubling and stair-hopping the lower ID is both easier and less tedious than gathering the ingredients for a wish engine. (Though which is the scummier method? Hard to say...)
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 at 19:16 (GMT -5)

Been doing a little research and the most artifacts anyone in the hall of fame has generated is 49 (a UNE in gamma 16). I can easily beat that: 15 precrowns, 1 crown, 1 uselessness, 5 orbs, 3 trinity, 2 twin daggers, 2 Rolfs, elemental gauntlets, nonnak's sword, RotMC, RoI, big punch, gladius, weird tome, crown of science, phial, quickling boots, black torc, 2 raw steel, moon sickle and si. That's 46. Would take 4 random other artifacts to beat the previous record. What's interesting me more now actually is what happens if all 23 random artifacts are generated and you then try for a uselessness gift...? Game crash most likely, so if I ever get in that situation I'll be sure to back up.

Anyway, got a dark elven thief going smoothly at the mo. Level 20, got 5 precrowns, and am now considering an ID dive. Would normally go to the Tower for some extra levels at this point, but the crown of fire I had has been destroyed and I don't think I'll fare too well in there otherwise. Main problems are low strength and poor offense (the dagger of penetration slowly whittles anything down, but the emphasis is on slowly - find weakness doesn't seem to help a great deal). Other than Skullcrusher the precrowns were fairly poor. Already done the Rift and most of the HK dungeon, so there's nowhere else to get xp and items. Permit me a little character dump:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                 Screenshot

#######
                                                         #...[$#
             #########                                   #...@.#####
             #.......#                                   #....//...#
 #########   #.......################################### #########.###########
 #.......#   #.....*/#...../.........../..%..../.......#     ### #.#.........#
 #.......#   #......(..########.################.......#######.###.#.........#
 #.......#   #......./.#     #................./................./...........#
 #.......#####################.#################.......#########.###.........#
 #......./...................................../......./...#   ### #.........#
 #####.#######################.###########################.####### #/#########
     #.#               #.......#           #.............../.....# #.#
     #/######### #######.#######     #######.###############.....# #/#####
     #.........# #.......#           #..^(.#.#             #.....# #.....#
     #.........###.#######           #*^(.^#.#######################...>.#
     #........./...#                 #^..^./.............................#
     ###############                 #####################################

Lupin         St:21  Le:18  Wi:24  Dx:27  To:25  Ch: 9  Ap:14  Ma:24  Pe:19 L
DV/PV: 75/32   H: 218(218)    P: 130(130)    Exp: 20/781575     PC: 1 LE: 1238
Coward

> That's young Lupin standing next to a pile of 800m gold and a blessed girdle
> of greed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Background Information

Name: Lupin               Race: male Dark Elf       Class: Thief
Eye color: blue           Hair color: white         Complexion: black
Height: 5'11"             Weight: 132 pounds
Age: 161 (grown-up, 25 years of unnatural aging added in)
Star sign: Candle         Birthday: 2/Candle (day 272 of the year)

> Chosen candle so I can ignore the healer quest in favour of the black torc
> later.  Extra talent is also handy.

Weapon Skills

Melee weapon           Lvl   Hit   Dam   DV   Level          Required marks
---------------------  ---   ---   ---   --   -------------  --------------
Daggers & knives        10   +10    +6   +3   excellent            197

> I've used practically nothing else.

Missile weapon         Lvl   Hit   Dam   Ra   Level          Required marks
---------------------  ---   ---   ---   --   -------------  --------------
Bows                     5   +10    +7   +1   skilled              72
Crossbows                4    +8    +6   +1   skilled              46

> Might train these more with hydras before descending.

Shields                Lvl   DV               Level          Required marks
---------------------  ---   ---              -------------  --------------
Shields                  9   +18              excellent            411

Damage caused with your melee weapons:
--------------------------------------
Right hand: +15 bonus to hit, 3d6+7 damage

> This honestly doesn't get much better on Very Aggressive.

Damage caused with your missile weapons:
----------------------------------------
Ammunition: 9, base range: 11, +27 bonus to hit, 2d6+10 damage

Spells

Fireball     :     2,  39pp     (Effectivity: +0)
   Frost Bolt   :     5,  23pp     (Effectivity: +0)
   Invisibility :     8,  19pp     (Effectivity: +0)
   Knock        :     3,  23pp     (Effectivity: +0)
   Light        :   292,   3pp     (Effectivity: +0)
   Magic Missile:     3,  15pp     (Effectivity: +0)
   Slow Poison  :     7,  11pp     (Effectivity: +0)
   Stun Ray     :     5,  15pp     (Effectivity: +0)
   Teleportation:     3,  43pp     (Effectivity: +0)
   Web          :     8,  23pp     (Effectivity: +0)

> I have a slow monster spellbook but haven't successfully read it yet.

Skills

Alertness ............100    (superb)       [+1d5]
  Appraising ........... 75    (great)        [+1d3]
  Backstabbing .........100    (superb)       [+3d3]
  Climbing .............100    (superb)       [+2d4]
  Detect traps .........100    (superb)       [+2d4]
> Very handy when you search on every step.  With this and Alertness I've
> never been hit by a trap.
  Disarm traps ......... 86    (great)        [+3d4]
> And this makes me immune to door traps too.
  Find weakness ........ 95    (superb)       [+1d3]
  First aid ............ 54    (good)         [+2d4]
  Haggling ............. 38    (fair)         [+4d5]
  Listening ............100    (superb)       [+2d4]
  Literacy ............. 62    (good)         [+1d3]
  Pick locks ........... 69    (good)         [+3d5]
> Who needs keys?
  Pick pockets .........100    (superb)       [+2d4]
  Stealth ..............100    (superb)       [+2d4]
  Swimming ............. 14    (mediocre)     [+3d5]

Effects of Corruption

You have grown thorns (3d3 melee damage, Dx: -2, Ap: -3).

Inventory
Total weight: 2659 stones                Carrying capacity: 5128 stones

He: blessed rusty metal cap [+0, +2]                                  [50s]
Ne: uncursed amulet of protection +2                                   [3s]
Bo: uncursed green eternium plate mail (-1, -2) [-1, +13]            [240s]
Gi: blessed girdle of carrying [+0, +0]                               [15s]
Cl: uncursed cloak of protection [+0, +3]                             [20s]
RH: blessed rune-covered club "Skullcrusher" (+12, 3d6+2) [-3, +0] {St+4}
LH: uncursed large eternium shield (-1) [+11, +5]                     [54s]
RR: blessed ring of damage                                             [1s]
LR: blessed ring of damage                                             [1s]
Br: -
Ga: uncursed gloves of carrying [+2, +2]                               [6s]
Bo: blessed boots of speed [+2, +2] (+8 spd)                          [20s]
MW: blessed heavy crossbow (+3, +3)                                  [140s]
Mi: bundle of 9 blessed balanced quarrels (+5, 2d6)                   [18s]
Tl: -

> Overall fairly poor, and I hate relying on that girdle of carrying.  The
> armour was dropped by a Rifty chaos knight.

Stuff

Total weight: 1971 stones   Carrying capacity: 5128 stones

<most stuff snipped>

Girdles ('[')
   uncursed adamantium girdle [+0, +5]                                [18s]
Boots ('[')
   blessed eternium boots [+0, +5]                                    [55s]
One-handed weapons ('(')
   blessed adamantium dagger of penetration (+5, 1d4+6)                [7s]
   uncursed whip (-4, 1d3)                                            [15s]
   uncursed dwarven pick axe "Hammerhead" (+2, 2d10+4) [+2, +2] {To+3}[90s]
   blessed eternium dagger (+2, 2d4+7)                                 [5s]
   uncursed mace of destruction (+5, 5d6+6)                          [120s]
Two-handed weapons ('(')
   uncursed rune-covered halberd "Wyrmlance" (+15, 4d8+10) [-2, +0]   [50s]

> 1st precrown was Staff of the Archmagi, second was Wyrmlance, third was
> Thunderstroke, fourth was Hammerhead and fifth was Skullcrusher.  Pretty
> poor selection I must say.

Missiles ('/')
   bundle of 7 uncursed quarrels of humanoid slaying (+0, 2d6+3)      [28s]
   bundle of 12 uncursed penetrating quarrels (+1, 2d6)               [24s]
> My only decent missiles to be honest.

Scrolls ('?')
   uncursed scroll of chaos resistance                                 [2s]
> The only corruption removal I have.  Very low on holy water too, which is
> surprisingly with the amount I've been pickpocketing.

Killed Monsters

2417 monsters perished under his attacks.

The following monsters were vanquished:
      1 diamond golem
      1 doppleganger king
> These guys were a bit scary in the Rift, but the dagger of penetration
> took care of them in the end.
      1 gorgon
> Very scary with petrification resistance - had to leave the high kings
> dungeon alone for a while because of one of these.
      1 master mimic
> Surprisingly tough - had to use darkness on him.
      1 oracle
> 
      1 stone ooze

Achievements

He survived for 0 years, 179 days, 1 hour, 6 minutes and 8 seconds (50363
turns).
> That's actually extremely high for so few turns.  No 7LBs hurts.
Lupin visited 49 places.
His strength score was modified by +4 during his career.
His learning score was modified by +7 during his career.
His willpower score was modified by +9 during his career.
His dexterity score was modified by +9 during his career.
His toughness score was modified by +10 during his career.
His charisma score was modified by +2 during his career.
His appearance score was modified by +1 during his career.
His mana score was modified by +6 during his career.
His perception score was modified by +2 during his career.
He was unnaturally aged by 25 years.
He was a member of the thieves guild.

Level 50 requires 20 mil xp. Okay, ouch, that's almost double my old gnomish merchants... Well, hopefully it won't take too long, but I know from experience it likely will... And hopefully he doesn't die to a GM like the last guy I sent into infinity (miscalculated step times).

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 4/30/2008 at 19:22 (GMT -5) by Darren Grey]
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 at 21:57 (GMT -5)

> nonnak's sword, RotMC, RoI, big punch

RoI means RotHK's?

There is also the literacy potion from Thrundarr.
You won't want to play a troll again to get it
though! Maybe play some non-elf fighter type.

There is also the AotME. You could try for that
after gaining a few exp. levels. You would pick
up a few corruptions though, having to walk the
levels.

I think the ID is a good choice for this PC right
now. You will definitely improve some of your
gear in there. Just remember to exit before
reaching exp. level 27 (28?), if you want to get
the cow axe.

Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 at 22:14 (GMT -5)

Yes I did mean RotHK - silly me. As for literacy potion, are you suggesting getting to L50 without literacy? It is possible actually - been done before by Alex (the guy who also did a L1 OCG) - but I'm sure as hell not going to bother. No scrolls of ID in the whole game is sheer masochism. The other possible artifact I'm ignoring is the platinum girdle of course - but that's another thing I can't be arsed with (though some day I'll try and get it - preferably with a mindcrafter). Theoretically the most artifacts would be generated by someone who attained PoLit, PG and got to level 50 inside the pyramid. Needs a wish engine though, and I can't be arsed with that either (well, I suppose it's theoretically easier than what I'm doing with the right shops, but it feels too much like cheating - not that I ain't cheating using dragon gold, but I'm at least keeping the game difficult and not spending the gold on Garth training).

I have zero interest in the bovine meatcleaver. I'd rather be able to get the full 15 precrowns (I've generated no random artifacts so that's quite achievable).

I really would like to take a trip into the fire temple for some extra levels (getting to 23 would be nice for an extra precrown) with the hope that I find a corpse before I incinerate. But I've only one fireproof blanket and about 5 fireproof items I could wear... so maybe not... ID might get troublesome though, and it's actually quite awful for equipment I find (though good for little items like holy water and blankets).
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 01:57 (GMT -5)

> As for literacy potion, are you suggesting
> getting to L50 without literacy?

You can get literacy from a dark sage corpse.
Even PC's without food preservation should
get a corpse soon enough. A PC that has the
food preservation skill should get a DS corpse
long before even hitting dwarftown.

> The other possible artifact I'm ignoring is
> the platinum girdle

I can second that! I think that's one challenge
I will never try. It seems all too likely that
I would put a zillion hours of play time in,
only to zap some out of sight blink dog or
something.

> Needs a wish engine though, and I can't be
> arsed with that either

Unlimited wishes = boring to me. I think a
challenge game should still FEEL like an ADOM
game, just harder. A game with unlimited
wishes seems like it would 'feel' different.
Like one of the games I used to play, wearing
two RotMC's.

> ID might get troublesome though, and it's
> actually quite awful for equipment I find

The good stuff isn't found on the ground, it's
dropped by monsters. I think the item danger
levels work differently for items dropped by
monsters. I'm of course not 100% sure though.

A chaos knight killed on ID level 9 will just
drop a pick axe, but kill one on level 30 and
you have a great shot at eternium helmets,
medium shields, long swords (very nice with the
right prefix), armor, and thick gauntlets.

Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 02:46 (GMT -5)

>A PC that has the
>food preservation skill should get a DS corpse
>long before even hitting dwarftown.

Uh, really? I see a corpse maybe once in a year at most. Dark sages are fairly rare as is - their corpses even rarer. But you raise a fair point, literacy is certainly possible - one could scum ID for a dark sage even. Hmm, damn... If this guy dies I've totally got to try that next. Can't let that artifact slip me by!

Actually, wait, haha, what am I thinking... If I get literacy before the dwarven quest I miss out on that artifact. And like I said, I'm not getting to level 50 in the ID without scrolls. So that option's completely out.

>I can second that! I think that's one challenge
>I will never try.

I imagine it would be rather easy actually. Only problem is getting TCtrl (you could get a friendly blink dog to summon on a hostile and hope for a corpse - I actually got one that way with a lawful once... not sure if eating a blink dog corpse is unlawful though). You'd have to treat all dwarves, blink dogs and unicorns like cats, which is only really a problem when they're hostile (such as dwarves in the arena, or hostile threat rooms). It conflicts with this challenge though since several artifacts require chaotic deeds. I'm also not playing a bloody thief without pickpocketing immensely and stealing from every shop in the game. I've an idea to do a "Rolf challenge" some time though - play a dwarven paladin called Rolf, get his two artifacts, complete all lawful quests, and get the platinum girdle. Been fairly boring each time I've tried it though.

>Unlimited wishes = boring to me. I think a
>challenge game should still FEEL like an ADOM
>game, just harder.

Yup! I'd only do it for testing purposes, or maybe going for archmage after I've already finished most of the game (and maybe trying for a Gozer-like score). Otherwise, well, what's the point really? Might as well play some action game with blood-filled graphics to get your kicks - would certainly require much less initial effort.

>A chaos knight killed on ID level 9 will just
>drop a pick axe, but kill one on level 30 and
>you have a great shot at eternium helmets,
>medium shields, long swords (very nice with the
>right prefix), armor, and thick gauntlets.

Nope, nope, nope. A dwarven chaos knight will likely drop a pick axe or a wand of digging. They never drop eternium gear (except out of luck). A real chaos knight will likely drop eternium gear wherever he is. Seen it happen on ID20 (threat rooms of them are actually quite likely round there I've found with Iron Man attempts, though I've never scummed for them) and seen it happen in the Wilderness (which is DL 5). Eternium plate mail is DL 36 I'll point out. In general a monster with guaranteed drops will make them anywhere, but regular drops in the ID correspond to the 1/3rd danger level rule. The troll I had that spent so much time in the ID? Never found anything eternium. Anything. And that was after slaughtering thousands of bloody creatures on I43/44, including many greater dragons and wyrms. Best thing he ever found was a pair of SLBs (that got destroyed) - everything else was mostly junk.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 5/1/2008 at 03:02 (GMT -5) by Darren Grey]
Go to page 1 2 3

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: