Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / YASD YASD YASD!

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

SirMason
Registered user
Paladin of the Shining Citadel

Last page view:

4716 days, 21 hours, 5 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 at 21:27 (GMT -5)

Arrg...level 15 orcish assassin...no special equipment except for an orcish knife of might. Went after the greater daemon...great start, had him poisoned, he kept healing himself but he couldn't have kept it up for long.
I had a blessed ring of ice and a fireproof blanket..
Too bad I didn't have fire resistance.
I was chasing him around just to make sure he didn't do anything stupid...and then he torched me.

Blast! I was just about to take on the pyramid. This is the farthest I've ever gotten without save-scumming.
You pick up the Wand of Do Nothing.
'z'...
Nothing happens.
't'...
The Wand of Do Nothing misses the kestral. Come on, it's a Wand of Do Nothing!
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4040 days, 2 hours, 16 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 at 08:46 (GMT -5)

Fighting the greater daemon with a level 15 PC, without fire resistance to boot, was a very brave and ultimately stupid thing to do. But that which kills you teaches you a lesson...
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
MrNiceguy
Registered user

Last page view:

5516 days, 19 hours, 23 minutes and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 at 17:57 (GMT -5)

Since you're referring to him as *the* Greater Daemon, I assume you're referring to the one in Dwarftown? I agree that level 15 is definitely early to be taking him on. That said, unless your character is still chaotic, you can sacrifice him and receive credit for the kill.

Granted, he may wipe out quite a few dwarves on the way to the church, but that's not your problem. (You might even get a couple of pickaxes in the process.) I usually try to get the Greater Daemon to kill the smith for me, unless I've found a forge in some other handy location.
Redundancy is good.
And also good.
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5113 days, 7 hours, 28 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 at 03:03 (GMT -5)

If I use the Daemon to take out the smith, it is usually for the anvil, as I usually find a forge in UD down to HMV anyway. But having the forge there in town is useful too.

If you don't have mining skill or artifact pickaxe or wall-kicking then you might want to do a bit of mining first and getting him to repair pickaxes before he is slain.
SirMason
Registered user
Paladin of the Shining Citadel

Last page view:

4716 days, 21 hours, 5 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 at 11:57 (GMT -5)

Ugh...happened again. Level 12 human paladin with spear of devastation, bracers of resistance, lucky (from sacrificing gold)...died at the hands of Hotzenplotz. Lesson learned: don't try to melee the guy.

But...that's Adom, ya know? Very unforgiving.
You pick up the Wand of Do Nothing.
'z'...
Nothing happens.
't'...
The Wand of Do Nothing misses the kestral. Come on, it's a Wand of Do Nothing!
Subconscious
Registered user
Adventurer of the Human Mind

Last page view:

5363 days, 48 minutes and 16 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 at 12:10 (GMT -5)

Hotzenplotz is ridiculous enemy, hes very hard in melee but can be killed with lvl 1 wizard with fire bolt or something equal. I was shocked when I lost guite good drakish monk lvl 15, and monks should be the masters of melee fighting uhm ehm.
"The white baby dragon equips the small shield." WTF :D
Worst Player... ever
Registered user

Last page view:

4664 days, 1 hour, 27 minutes and 6 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 at 13:12 (GMT -5)

I only ever fought Hotzenplotz once in melee, and he beat me in such a one-sided fashion that I never tried it again. I don't think I'd take him on in melee again with *anyone* below level 20, unless I could both cure poison and had some manner of getting away from him if I was losing.

Same with Swamp Hydras. I tried taking a level 10 monk against one once, and it utterly destroyed me in one melee round. I've never taken one on again. They're probably not as hard as all that, but I've never felt the need to risk a good character against one since.

It's never even occured to me to try and trade shots with the Greater Daemon as it sounds like suicide, but having him kill Glod is a great idea. Only thing is, how do you avoid getting cornered when you use it for that? I don't want that thing next to me for even one round unless I'm sacrificing it.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/4/2008 at 13:17 (GMT -5) by Worst Player... ever]
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 at 14:48 (GMT -5)

You have to dance about a bit while waiting for the daemon to be attacked by (or attacking) the smith. Staying in coward with the usual decent equipment you SHOULD have at this time will be enough to live. If you totally lack fire protection (can't imagine how, what with other dwarf gifts) that can be a problem without other healing. Also, you should expect to get stat-drained - not by him hitting you but by that non-resistable spell he can use. As soon as the smith is engaging him you can safely toddle off to the altar, he will last a few rounds.
vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

4928 days, 9 hours, 5 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 at 04:45 (GMT -5)

Damned cowardly Smith. Sometimes takes ages for him to decide to help out my poor PC. Can be pretty annoying walking circles round the guy getting beat up for 40 turns loosing stats all the time whilst he just dances around you. Still, at least he will attack eventually.
Narcolepcy
Registered user

Last page view:

4778 days, 2 hours, 44 minutes and 6 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 at 07:41 (GMT -5)

Or you could just lure the smith to a staircase and take him to another level, He will even still repair pickaxes for you if you do so, and you can use his forge for no charge whenever you want.
vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 at 08:25 (GMT -5)

Yeah with my 100 anvils I have spare
Narcolepcy
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 at 16:02 (GMT -5)

Just get one at darkforge.
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 at 17:11 (GMT -5)

<Just get one at darkforge. >
In my later games I've been doing this, but it is kinda an advanced tactic. One single mistake can easily kill you.
Narcolepcy
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 at 18:53 (GMT -5)

Ya thats how my last priest with skullcrusher died. Kerhab hurts when he crits you three times in a row.
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4869 days, 3 hours, 51 minutes and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 at 23:30 (GMT -5)

If the water squares in the 'pool room' are
arranged nicely, you can sometimes use them as
'water shields', to keep Kherab at bay. He regens
pretty quickly though, and shrugs off a lot of
bolt spells, so it's still not a guaranteed
method.

Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!
Narcolepcy
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 at 08:11 (GMT -5)

Never thought of that, thanks for the advice will definatley try it.
MrNiceguy
Registered user

Last page view:

5516 days, 19 hours, 23 minutes and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 at 17:06 (GMT -5)

Regarding Hotzenplotz, I usually get the quest as soon as it's available, but wait to complete it till fairly late. If I'm going for an Ultra Ending (never made one yet) I wait till after the "You must be chaotic" point and use Hotz as my first step away from the dark side. Attacking him unprovoked is a chaotic act, but killing him and reporting the kill gives a nice lawful boost.

As I see it, there's no reason not to wait, unless you aren't planning on an Ultra, and you want the amulet for an early lawful crowning.
Redundancy is good.
And also good.
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 at 03:12 (GMT -5)

Killing Hotz and helpers will yield ~4000 gold.
Combining this with the 50% discount at the
black market, for killing Yergius, makes many
black market items affordable. A PC can usually
count on picking up a few points of PV. Also,
the market may have potions of healing/cure
poison, which can save your PC's life in the
early game.

The marble amulet is handy for changing and
maintaining your alignment as you please. A
lawful PC may get cornered by blink dogs, and
that can be bothersome without the amulet.
B_C_
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 at 03:30 (GMT -5)

awesome gnome wizard. decided to mess around at DH after getting through the animated forest (don't play this game after 2 AM!). hear *thump* - farsight, telecontrol: see a greater titan - thinking no problem I got dex 20 (herbs), some bow training and 10 arrows of giant slaying and invis. shoot 2 arrows and miss - about to teleport away - (forgot he sees invis) "greater titan shoots quarrel at you, you are hit, you are wounded, you die..." (155 to -20 instantly)...damn
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 at 03:40 (GMT -5)

Well, that's delusion of grandeur for you. If you had ever met a greater titan before, you certainly wouldn't have tried this with only 155 HP... Well, now you certainly won't anymore :)
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 at 04:46 (GMT -5)

Darkness on the other hand is much safer. The
greater titan would cheerfully stand still, in
the darkness, and let you bash him to severely
wounded. He would then panic and flee for his
life though, and finishing him off is extremely
dangerous. The only reasonable way that I know
of, for a low exp. level PC to kill one, is with
long range magic missiles.

Still, that's a tough way to go. They don't always
take THAT many HP's with one shot, but it isn't
rare either. The roll just went against you this
time.
vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 at 11:03 (GMT -5)

Said it once, will say it again - for a low level PC (no Orbs in back pack), a THUMB! in the DH is a message to run away, NOT attack.

Even for a mid level PC (2 Orbs in back pack), a THUMB! in the DH is a message to run away, NOT attack.

Cos you know, I kinda vaguely recall the whole point of the DH is that they're bloody dangerous.
FantomFang
Registered user

Last page view:

5770 days, 12 hours, 4 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 at 12:18 (GMT -5)

Yeah, I'd have to agree. Even with my L50 character, if I go into a lvl and i see THUMB!'s of any #, i usually avoid them. Especially when you see that there was a whole tension room full of titans. Ouch.
Going for 2nd win
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 at 12:54 (GMT -5)

I don't know. You could probably have beaten those titans, at least I think I could have with most of my winners. Level 50 characters tend to kick ass that way :)
FantomFang
Registered user

Last page view:

5770 days, 12 hours, 4 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 at 13:08 (GMT -5)

yeah, maybe so...but i was taking every precaution at this point. I didn't wanna die so close to that first win :)
Going for 2nd win
Chambza
Registered user

Last page view:

5684 days, 23 hours, 2 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 at 15:31 (GMT -5)

Uff. After a long break without ADOM, I decided to try something quite easy to start with, a High Elven Paladin born under the Raven sign. Corellius blesses me with good stats to begin with.

First kill is my usual choice: a Giant Frog. Fairly easy to catch, easy to kill a score of them, but not too common and very easy to avoid.

After wasting the Raider Lord, I went to look for Keethrax. Got poison resistance from some spider, but had to get the hell outta dodge after seeing a giant slug. Time to fetch the cute dog corpse, and naturally leave that dungeon with acid resistance. Back to the slug, and the final touch with an arrow of hunting - acid immunity! Yay! Keethrax wasn't too much trouble, got rid of him with a single arrow of slaying. Annoying to pick up all them arrows, but sure worth it at times.

Then, at lvl 10, to the SMC. And how lucky, the stairway down is in the next room! Now the difficult part is surely over, and I'm off to a great start!

A couple levels down I meet another pleasant surprise, an altar! Neutral, though, but that won't be a problem for long. The next monster I see is a swordsman. I vaguely remember it's generally a bad idea to sac critters of the same alignment as the altar, but do it anyway, what's the worse that can happen right? Wait, what the hell, the neutral altar turned chaotic when a lawful PC sacced a neutral critter? Where's the logic in that?

Oh well, no harm done, not even visible alignment change. Just gotta sac twice now, preferably some bigger critters. And exactly as ordered, a Minotaur arrives, how nice of him!

So I lead him to the altar, but whoopsie, a little slip of the hand in a hurry, and there I am, standing on the freshly converted chaotic altar. The rest is history, as am I...

It doesn't suck quite as much as the time I accidentally [Q]uit the game when attempting to save, but it's pretty darn close. Oh, the stupidity.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 6/23/2008 at 15:31 (GMT -5) by Chambza]
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 at 20:28 (GMT -5)

Do you really want to Quit? Y
That's the worst part... saying yes.
I am ashamed to say, I have done that also : )
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 at 09:24 (GMT -5)

I had a very promising character recently. He had gotten four SoCR from the mystic and had even found an early scroll of danger.

With these items in my pack, I venture into the Tomb of the High Kings...

After losing three of four SoCR and the scroll of danger to vortices and breathing monsters, I QUIT. Intentionally. And I'd totally do it again, because if I'm this stupid, I don't deserve to have a living character.
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 at 18:20 (GMT -5)

A few days ago, I was trying the 'fling the bling' challenge
again. It took a long time, but I finally got a good dark
elf PC going. I had my stats inflated nicely, by using herbs
and crystals, and went to Leggot's shop to get some $ (stupid
Waldenbrooke).

For some reason, I decide to chat with the old crone. This
was pretty stupid, as I had no intention of doing an ultra,
and I never do it in any of my games. Well anyway, I decide
to 'starvation train' with moss before leaving the village.
Then I notice this 'chaos brother' sneaking up on me. I
quickly bling 'him', and find out that 'he' was actually
the old crone. Death by stupidity.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: