Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / trap in open door?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Rabid Sheep
Registered user
foorget 'w' just hold '4'

Last page view:

5501 days, 12 hours, 56 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 at 12:05 (GMT -5)

hi everyone!

I've been lurking on these forums for a while now, this is my first post though.

Anyway, had this weird thing happen to me just now, I was chased by a dark elven wizard on id6, poisoned low on hp, I got to a door and started to play this open/close game with him to heal up a bit. At some point after I close the door there are a few rounds when nothing happens, and then I get the standard out of LOS message of monster triggering fireball trap (you hear a click, boom, etc..) and get some 150+ exp. I decided to wait a bit longer, but then I was curious as to what happened so I open the door and.. it's locked!! first time I see a once open door being closed not by me.. after I kick it down (I'm still low on hp but now VERY eager to find out what happened) the coridor is empty, no spiders, no wizard, no webs..

ok, the wizard (or one of the spiders) couldnt've wondered too far because I just waited like 4-5 rounds before the explosion happened, the corridor behind door was pretty long and clean of traps (passed it twice allready, once when exploring, once when running back).

everything seems to imply that somehow the door got locked (I didnt even have any keys/lockpicks yet) after I closed it, and trapped (didnt have a trap before, but I cant remember if it was closed on my way in), and the wizard trigered the trap when trying to open the door, killing him & any spiders left in the corridor. what's against this theory is that I was standing right next to the door on the ther side & didnt take any dmg/equipement loss (at least nothing I've noticed, and I dont think I have any fire resistance)..

anything similar happened to you? any idea what might have happened?

I am paper, nerf scissors, rock is fine..
Subconscious
Registered user
Adventurer of the Human Mind

Last page view:

5391 days, 31 minutes and 19 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 at 12:13 (GMT -5)

Hmmm.
I can't understand how the door went to locked state but Im guite sure that the trap wasn't in the door since fireball traps have around 2-3 radius and so you should have seen the explosion. For me it seems that there was fireball trap in the room with only few charges, dunno how thats possible if it was untriggered before this but I dont find anything else what could be possible.
:/
"The white baby dragon equips the small shield." WTF :D
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4897 days, 3 hours, 34 minutes and 29 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 at 23:45 (GMT -5)

Are you sure that the door was locked, and not
just stuck. I know that doors often stick after
shutting them, but I don't think one has ever
locked on me before.

It is quite possible that your PC just didn't
trigger a trap in the corridor, when walking over
it. If your PC has the alertness skill, it is
even more likely.

Sometimes a vortex can be generated as non-hostile
to the PC. It is possible, that a 'friendly'
vortex whirled throught the corridor and became
hostile toward the spiders. A vortex explosion
would have been powerful enough to kill spiders,
but I don't think it could have gotten all of
them.

Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!
Rabid Sheep
Registered user
foorget 'w' just hold '4'

Last page view:

5501 days, 12 hours, 56 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 at 10:33 (GMT -5)

I'm sure the door wasnt stuck, although it would explain a lot and about the vortex, it wouldnt produce the "you hear something in your vicinity click.." message.

I didnt know one could evade a trap without discovering it, I pretty much always play characters with alertness and I dont recall anything similar happening to me..
I am paper, nerf scissors, rock is fine..
EmptyOne
Registered user

Last page view:

5410 days, 2 hours, 14 minutes and 17 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 at 15:13 (GMT -5)

I have walked over a trap without triggering or detecting it before.

I had come up from the cavern level of Puppy Cave low on HP. I was head down a long corridor I come down previously. Met a Goblin and was doing the shoot/backstep thing when he stepped on a fireball trap and blew me to bits. I knew I was dead as soon as I saw the 'Goblin steps on a loose rock' message.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: