Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / How can I cast Wish?!

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

liptick
Registered user
The elf lover

Last page view:

5238 days, 6 hours, 50 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 at 05:49 (GMT -5)

I drank a potion of wonder, got wish, was smart enough not try try and cast it when it cost 5580 PP (my max is just over 200 PP).

I also happend to have an amulet of life saving and thought i could cast it sort of in limbo withought a body or mouth or hands.... sigh....

so now im staring at this wish thinking that at lvl 50 ill still need to get my mana attribute quite high, but i cant seem to get the max up easily, does anyone know if this spell is just a cruel joke, or if its intended for near end game?
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5758 days, 6 hours, 18 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 at 06:11 (GMT -5)

Most victorious characters never cast Wish, but if you really want to, here are a few tips which may make it easier:

* If you learn it from the book (difficult, I know) the cost will go down to 3000 PP.
* What's your alignment? If you are lawful, wait for Silvernight and the cost of casting any spell will be halved. If you are chaotic, wait for Darknight instead. If you are neutral, then sorry, this tip won't help.
* Drink a bunch of blessed potions of boost mana to increase your PP temporarily, and also boost toughness for HP (1 HP = 2 PP when casting a spell from HP).
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5134 days, 6 hours, 38 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 at 06:13 (GMT -5)

I once cast it successfully with a level 28 wizard, in order to obtain a certain amulet of life saving.

Remember the following:
- Certain classes get discount from casting spells. Priest 50% and wizards 40%.
- At silvernight/darknight those of corresponging alignment pay half casting cost.
- If you get more "casting" (i.e. if you actually read the book) then casting cost is lower
- Certain room effects lower the casting cost

Also:
- You can use HPs to help cast a spell. And HPs actually count double. 100 HP and 200 MP means you can cast a 100*2 + 200 = 400 mana spell (or 399, not sure)

So:
By carefully choosing time and place you can lower the cost significantly, and spend some HP too (negative effect should be outweighed by casting the wish)

Ways to increase mana and HP are many.
HP:
- Advance in level
- Quaff blessed healing potions (all kinds)
- Wear armor of life (+20%)
- Increase stats. ST, WI and foremost TO increase HP. Permanently or just by eq.
MP:
- Advance in level
- Increase stats. WI and MA give power points.
- Handle wands while having "mana battery" corruption
- Wear armor of power (+20%)

It takes a bit of time and effort to do it by mid-game, but it is possible. And only reason should be to find something super-rare (and which you didn't find while collecting all those 100dreds of wands)
liptick
Registered user
The elf lover

Last page view:

5238 days, 6 hours, 50 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 at 06:34 (GMT -5)

I'm a L+ human wizard. thanks for the info, judging by what you've said and parts of what I allready knew, if im going to use it its going to eat up time or require some luck with the rng and item generation.

I've never made it past the wall of flames without scumming, so i'm curious to know if you guys spend a lot of time planning later points in the game, or which methods of advancing your character you are going to use? it seems to me while having decent knowledge on monsters and strategy, i might have better luck with hopeing for certain benefits
and planning for them rather than basically playing the game the same way regardless of class and race out of necesity with the options that present themselves.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4232 days, 43 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 at 11:22 (GMT -5)

What everyone else has forgotten to mention is that casting wish by any means will drain you of 10 point of a random stat. Under normal circumstances this is most certainly not worth doing, as wishable items are worth 10 of a stat. There are advanced tactics to keep casting Wish infinitely if you get enough PP to still be able to cast it whilst all stats are zero, but this is something far beyond your current level of play. Forget about the spell for now - it may as well be a cruel joke on your character.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5134 days, 6 hours, 38 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 at 11:51 (GMT -5)

"There are advanced tactics to keep casting Wish infinitely if you get enough PP to still be able to cast it whilst all stats are zero"

- and of course, to cast it indefinately you need to book-cast it as well (costs more PP...)

If you have a properly prepared character then you do not need to scum to get past wall of flames. Because you will not die.

- Have enough HPs. Toughness must be close to 30. And you need to be high enough level to have HPs. 300 should be enough, 400 is attainable

- Have enough healing. HIGH healing, that is. Water orb can do this job, if you are wearing eternal gauntlets you will not be TOO corrupted. Use healing when hurt over 100 HP.

- Have decent speed. 110 or better is fine.

- Have high enough willpower to not be confused. Water orb in tool slot + having 30 natural Willpower is enough. Go for it!

- You need to kill the wyrm. That sounds like a joke but isn't. You need a high-powered Hand-to-Hand attack, or a good spell or blessed dragon slaying ammo. Best way for a new character is - ball spell. Go to coward mode, stand next to the wyrm and ball away. He will not hit much in melee, he will rarely cast the dreaded energy bolt. So take it like a man, and ball him to death. If he flees, he will still be in ball-range after moving once, so you should be able to finish him off.
If playing a melee character, you might have the wyrmlance which is excellent against him. Otherwise go for the highest damage you can. If you wear a ring of fire protection in the tower, swap it for a ring of damage/slaying for this fight, you will take damage anyhow. Hit, hit, heal, hit, heal etc till it is dead.

- There are plenty of cheap, effective, smart ways to help the fight. Wands of webbing, paralysis, potions of blindness, confusion, quaffing potions of boost (useful stat), boost speed, scroll of familiar summoning... Do not SAVE anything when fighting, you will surely find better stuff when proceeding further in the game.

- Yes, I am known to over-prepare. Play some more and you get a feel for it. Main part is enough HPs and dependable healing. Really.
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

4689 days, 19 hours, 5 minutes and 19 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 at 13:00 (GMT -5)

I've never cast wish, but . . .

Keep an eye out for rooms with a "Rich Flavor" and remember where they are. Your satiation rate does not go down in such rooms, so you should be able to read any book.

Keep an eye out for rooms that are magically charged or that make you skin tingle and remember where they are. I believe that they lower the cost of spells.

Hmmm, how many mana points do you get from a blessed potion of Mana (Raw Mana?) How many can I get from a wish? Is it possible to keep wishing until you have hundreds (drinking them whenever your mana drops from the wish) and thus have infinite wishes?
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4061 days, 1 hour, 25 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 at 13:09 (GMT -5)

A blessed potion of raw mana doesn't give you any mana, but increases mana regeneration. A blessed potion of mana gives two points. You can get two of these from a wish for a grand total of four points. So it really isn't a feasible method for stat-increasing, you lose far more stats due to casting wish than you can regain. If you can cast wish with 1 mana, that's where the fun begins.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

4689 days, 19 hours, 5 minutes and 19 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 at 18:18 (GMT -5)

How could you ever have enough power points to cast wish if your mana is 1?
Narcolepcy
Registered user

Last page view:

4799 days, 1 hour, 53 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 at 18:31 (GMT -5)

Am I correct in assuming priests get no benifit from silvernight?
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4061 days, 1 hour, 25 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 at 19:07 (GMT -5)

Why would priests not get a bonus? If they're lawful at least?

You might be referring to the spell cost reduction cap of 50% that priests get anyway... In that case, yeah, Silver- or Darknight won't help.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Narcolepcy
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 at 19:59 (GMT -5)

Ya thats what I meant, sorry for the lack of clarity.
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4890 days, 3 hours and 35 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 at 22:34 (GMT -5)

> How could you ever have enough power points to
> cast wish if your mana is 1?

Draining wands by means of the 'mana battery'
corruption, adds a few PP's per drain.
Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4232 days, 43 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 at 12:27 (GMT -5)

Eating kobold shaman corpses can give a permanent boost to PP. Using the mana orb does too, though at the cost of corruption.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Narcolepcy
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 at 12:35 (GMT -5)

Find and wear some armour of power for 20 % pp increase (ie 1000 pp becomes 1200), find and wield a staff of the magi or the staff of the archmagi for +6 and +10 mana respectively.
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4142 days, 6 hours and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 at 12:35 (GMT -5)

>Eating kobold shaman

any spellcasting monster. iirc.
A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Timpen
Registered user
za za zaa za zaa

Last page view:

5764 days, 2 hours, 22 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 at 22:05 (GMT -5)

I remember someone from this forum using mana battery to get enough pp to be able to bookcast wish somewhen around 2004. Maybe you could get some more help if you managed to get in touch with that person.

Anyway, it is much easier scumming ID(gremlin cave or w/e your preference is) for wishes than actually throw it via charges/book.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: