Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Roman Republic Game

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 15 pages long.
Go to page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4067 days, 8 hours, 49 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 at 17:35 (GMT -5)

I just had an idea I'd like to share. I titled it "Roman Republic Game" because it kind of resembles the way the Roman consules shared their power when commanding the army. Every day they would shift it between them, one day consul A was commander, the other consul B was. It's really the closest way to describe my idea with a "Government type" I can find.

I had trouble getting into the Democracy game of Soirana (Ireth Oronar, you may remember); mainly because I didn't really feel like I had much influence on how that character went. Let's be frank, it was mainly Soirana's awesome skillz that got her going all the way.

I'd like to see if we can do this in a more ambitious way. We'll generate a character, and *everyone* may play it for a preset number of turns, let's say 1000 turns. The turn counter in the tactical display would provide a perfect way to gauge this. Once the last of the 1000 turns has passed (1000, 2000, 3000), he must save the character and send it to the next in line, who will continue to play from that exact point (If someone plays a turn too much by accident, no biggie, but ideally the game should be saved after the 1000th one).

It would be a community effort in the very sense of the word. If the character ascends to a victory, everyone who has played a segment of the character will feel like he had a part in that. If the character dies, everyone will feel this immense feeling of loss and despair that we all love and hate so much at the same time (maybe not to the same extent).

Everyone will detail his adventures with the community character, and the one who is unlucky enough to have him die on him (I trust that there is no one enough of a jerk to endanger the life of the community character on purpose) will write a fitting recount of the heroism the character showed even when confronted with undefeatable odds.

There will be a lot of discussion about what the character should do, but everyone will get his or her (Am I fooling myself thinking there are women posting on this forum?) shot and may perform his turns as *he* or she chooses.

One would have to moderate such a kind of game, creating the character and determining the order in which players get to do their turns. I think I'd feel up to it, if you like the idea and would like to participate.

We could start the discussion with determining which starting talents should be gotten :)
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4148 days, 13 hours, 23 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 at 18:04 (GMT -5)

very nice idea.

But i think talent discusion should be done after choosing race and class.
IMO, gnomish bard would pick other talents than orc assassin.

and 1k turn limit... we won't go for herb farming, right?
A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Narcolepcy
Registered user

Last page view:

4805 days, 9 hours, 16 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 at 18:20 (GMT -5)

This is a much improved idea, good thinking. One thousand turn limit sounds fine and the varied writing styles will hopefully keep my intrest. I will personally spend my entire turn farming herbs. This will probably play much different than a normal game for me, since I don't mind taking risks, but I sure as hell am not going to kill a community char.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/7/2008 at 18:22 (GMT -5) by Narcolepcy]
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 at 19:05 (GMT -5)

Hmm, will we choose race and class? Personally, I'd say we do a random character. I could generate the race/class combo randomly, then we could argue about the talents to choose, and I'll choose the combo and the talents on the next startup, which will also determine the starsign we're going to be stuck with.

I think the arguments will essentially boil down to whether we'll take Alert or not. Long-lived, Strong of Will (for Melee Weapon Master) and Heir are on the table as well, depending on race and class. For starting talents beyond that point, I guess that the first player would get to choose them, just like the player to receive a talent from levelup in his 1000 turns would get to choose the next talent. Anyone could be first, though he would also receive the noble task of generating the character in question, according to the decision we're going to make.

About herb farming: Everyone playing will have two hearts beating in their chests. On one side, they, as Narcolepcy aptly put it, sure as hell aren't going to kill a community char. On the other side, they might want to do more than just stand around farming herbs for 1000 turns. It's going to be interesting who chooses to do what. I think herb farming is a necessity to some extent, but in the end our community character won't overdo it - sooner or later someone will say "Well, that's enough herbs, let's go kick some ass". I can already picture that someone to be me.

Then again, it's very hard to picture where this game is going to go. Everyone who takes part will have an impact on that, and there are enough playing styles out there that this will be very unpredictable indeed.

This is going to be the thread for general discussion. We're going to need another thread for the reports of every segment, and another one where people say they want to play and where I'll post the order of the already assigned segments. In fact, I'm going to create that one right away. Once we're clear on the procedure, the community character will be generated and the first one in the list will start playing.

Remember, for the first round, it's whoever comes first gets his shot first! I'll give you a 24 hour head start :)
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/7/2008 at 19:25 (GMT -5) by Silfir]
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 at 19:26 (GMT -5)

Here the poll for an important question.

Should we let fate decide?
Yes  No
Check results

Sulangatori
Registered user
Tourist

Last page view:

1440 days, 13 hours, 31 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 at 19:34 (GMT -5)

Quirky idea. i like it. Had I been able to I would have very much loved to play a 'segment'. However, I'm on mac and I have yet to find any files related to ADOM, except for the main icon. I will follow the progress, though. Most interesting now would be the name.
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 at 03:56 (GMT -5)

What, do macs have no filemanaging system or something? Someone help this guy take part! :(

Maybe you have access to a PC somewhere? Installing ADOM winbeta or the DOS version shouldn't be much trouble.

One thing that must be clear to everyone is that if you've played a segment, you should make your report as complete as possible.

ESPECIALLY important is that you tell people about dangerous monsters you had to flee from, or you are in the process of fighting against but are currently off-screen. If you've met a lightning vortex on VD:5 and managed to escape with your life to VD:4, you have to state this in the report, or the next guy in line goes down to VD:5, dies to the vortex and the blood of the community char is on YOUR hands. If you did write about the vortex in the report, closing the thing with "DON'T GO DOWN THE STAIRS" and the next guy in line doesn't read your report and dies, HE is the one who killed the community char.

Which brings us to the next rule: READ the reports, at least a couple of the last ones, before playing your segment, or at least ask the others in the general discussion thread about what's transpired lately and what you have to be careful about.

Apart from that, the report should include things like dungeon features like shops, herbs or pools for every level, like "I explored level 2 and 3 of the Caverns of Chaos, and I found herbs on the second level. I picked some, but we don't have Herbalism high enough yet, so I don't know what kind of herbs they are. Also, I had to kill a cat".

And, of course, the person who starts the game bloody well has to include the first kill!

Regarding items, I think you don't have to mention which ones you used and which ones you found unless you want to (I know I'll want to boast when I find our first pair of seven league boots, not tiring to tell all the people that those are my seven league boots they're currently wearing, where they would be without my seven league boots, that we won just thanks to my seven league boots etc. pp.!). Every player can, at the beginning of his segment, take the time to examine his items and corruptions, so he doesn't need to be warned about them... though it might be safer.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/8/2008 at 03:58 (GMT -5) by Silfir]
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4896 days, 10 hours, 23 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 at 05:45 (GMT -5)

Very cool idea, I'm in for a few rounds at least.
Don't worry, I'll stay out of the BUGWIL... Unless
everyone says it's OK of coarse ; )

I like 'community character' better than 'Roman
Republic', but I like them both. Seeing as how
the threads are already named RR, that kind of
makes more sense.

I didn't know if I should put this here or the
other thread, but here goes. I've got a question
about how the situation of 'passing' on turns
should be handled. What happens, if a player
doesn't feel confident about playing at certain
parts in the game? It's bound to come up, who
wants to be the player that fights the ACW, or
jumps down the Rift. Or deals with the Archmage?!

Someone is going to want to pass eventually.
Should they be bumped a single notch, bumped a
full round, or just HEAVILY encouraged to play
their turn. Regardless of where it falls. I'll
use myself for an example: The player just before
me jumps down the rift, climbs a few levels, and
sends the game over to me. Well... I haven't been
to the Rift in YEARS, so we're likely dead.
Still yet, I'm heavily in favor of everyone trying
their best, to play their turn, regardless. Which
leads me to another question.

I'm a bit curious to see what situations we will
eventually start putting each other in. Should
we make a 'no screwing the next guy' rule. One
of us is bound to get a case of the giggles, and
manage to get in a predicament on thier 999th
turn. Surrounded by cats comes to mind.
That's about all for now.

> Am I fooling myself thinking there are women
> posting on this forum?)

Well, I'm, confident that Iridia is a woman, and I
think that there are at least two more.
Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 at 06:30 (GMT -5)

This is the thread for discussing the Roman Republic game in general. The other thread is only for applying, and the to-be-created thread will be only for the reports. This is the right place to discuss this!

Remember, if it's your turn, it's your call what the community PC does. If you want to ask the others about their opinion, that's noble, but as long as you bring back the PC alive, no one will be allowed to complain.

If someone isn't sure what to do when his turn comes, he can ask for instructions here. I don't think we should allow him to "chicken out", though. It's much better if he is forced to see it through, especially for him. He's going to learn a lot that way, and feel all the better when his turns are over and he has managed to not kill the PC or leave him in a hopeless situation.

I already know the precise turns that the RNG is going to screw us over: 999, 1999, 2999... :) In that case, no sweat. Describe the current predicament in your report, try to give him every piece of information you can get, and send the game over anyway.
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 at 07:07 (GMT -5)

Your post makes it seem as though my thinking, is
much less chaotic than it really is! I wasn't
implying that it would be the RNG screwing the
next player... Was just joking though : )

Glad to hear that about no chickening out. I don't
think it will discourage anyone from playing.
Everyone can just choose to participate for as
long as they feel comfortable.

EDIT: Oh yes, one more thing. I have noticed that
many (if not most) of the registered posters on
the forum, do not show email addresses in their
profiles. I know there are many different reasons
for this. Paranoia, lack of experience, or just
good old fashioned laziness.

I am a bit new to the posting and email stuff
myself, and I found the learning curve to be
smaller (actually non-existant) for posting files
on a file hosting site. I made an email account
just for the game, and it wasn't hard or time
consuming. However, I wonder if there might be
more participation, if posting a save file to a
place like hyperfileshare were an option.

Also, it wouldn't be a bad idea, to keep a copy
of the save file on our HD's, a few turns after
we pass them on. Just in case.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/8/2008 at 07:25 (GMT -5) by gut]
Jhonka
Registered user
Kickass player

Last page view:

5355 days, 8 hours, 6 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 at 07:21 (GMT -5)

is it up to the player or do we decide beforehand the order the game should be played? For examble, do we go for early rune trident(tele+tele control+raven), überspeed(100 food pres + tele +wands/arrows +bugwil..), early super equipment(tele +tele control +darkforge) etc.
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 at 08:21 (GMT -5)

It's entirely up to the player. This is not a Democracy game, after all, it's a Roman Republic Game. Everyone gets their turn, and he does what he thinks is best, and the others can state their opinion. That is all.

Regardless of whether we'll let fate decide or not (looks like it currently), we're not going to scum for a starsign. If we get Raven, then getting the rune-covered trident is definitely on the table. Whether you are going to go get it or someone else doesn't matter.

Stuff like raiding Darkforge is something that a player can do within his 1000 turns. If he feels up to risking it, why not? He will have to answer if it goes wrong, though. If all goes well and our community character now has an eternium two-handed sword of penetration and a red dragon scale mail of life, the daring player has earned a fair share of glory!

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/8/2008 at 08:31 (GMT -5) by Silfir]
FantomFang
Registered user

Last page view:

5797 days, 18 hours, 37 minutes and 17 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 at 08:48 (GMT -5)

Heh, that sounds like it will be a lot of fun, i will definitely be watching the progress of this. I'd love to do it, but i would not be surprised if i would be the one to cause character death =p despite being spoiled, i don't have any mid/late game experience, so maybe if i can get a char there sometime (if this is ever done in the future though, when ive - hopefully - reached late game, i would love to join)
Going for 2nd win
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 at 09:06 (GMT -5)

You can try out for one segment. As of yet, the probability is pretty high that it's still an early game one.
FantomFang
Registered user

Last page view:

5797 days, 18 hours, 37 minutes and 17 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 at 09:38 (GMT -5)

True, but i still think ill sit this one out. Better safe, than sorry =p
Going for 2nd win
Sulangatori
Registered user
Tourist

Last page view:

1440 days, 13 hours, 31 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 at 10:30 (GMT -5)

Alright, I will have to find some sort of computer that allows me to play this very interesting game. I would not like to miss this. I wonder, will a 1000 turns be sufficient? I seems a bit short.
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 at 10:58 (GMT -5)

You think so too? We could expand it to 2000. It's hard to find the right balance in any case.
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 at 12:09 (GMT -5)

I don't know what is the average number of game
turns for a victory, bug I expect us to exceed
that by a fair clip. If it takes us 60000 turns
to achieve victory (will it be a regular win?),
that would mean 60 file transfers. Everyone
would get lots of turns to play, quite nice in
that way, but one has to take work/sleep scheduals
into account.

Many players are from drastically different
time zones. 1000 turns go by pretty fast, maybe
15 miniuts of playing time. If players 1 and
2 have compatable playing times, things would
go quickly enough. If players 2 and 3 have
uncompatable play times, there could be something
like an 8 hour period, before the game is
recieved, played and passed on. Multiply that
by 60, and that's a lot of possible wait time
for everyone, multiply by 30 however, seems a
little quicker. 2000 turns per go sounds OK to me.
Worst Player... ever
Registered user

Last page view:

4691 days, 7 hours, 59 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 at 12:34 (GMT -5)

I agree with the 2000 turn period... there's certain areas of the game where you're just wandering around looking for stuff and this can eat up a lot of turns.

If you're looking to do an ultra ending, though, I might have to bow out. I'm pretty sure I can explore the upper levels of the Puppy Cave or the Village Dungeon without getting killed, but having comparitively weak players leading off the game might screw up some of your ultra ending or uBeR possibilities.

If we're not insisting on an ultra, then Fantom, they're allowing a guy named "Worst Player Ever" to take a shot at controlling this character. I think you're more than qualified to participate in this :)

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/8/2008 at 12:48 (GMT -5) by Worst Player... ever]
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 at 12:34 (GMT -5)

honestly i think game won't last 60k turns.

but taking 2k bits sounds good.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4238 days, 8 hours, 7 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 at 12:52 (GMT -5)

Interesting idea, and one that we can repeat a few times if we have trouble getting things started. I'd agree on 2000 turns personally - there's very little you can achieve in 1000, and a higher turn count will keep the character moving and give the game more momentum.

One thing that must be clearly addressed though: what ADOM version are we using? Obviously we'll go for 1.1.1, but are we using the Winbeta? The DOS version? ADOM Sage? The save files aren't compatible, so we need some consensus on this straight away, and everyone playing must get the decided version if they don't have it already. Personally I'm a huge lover of ADOM Sage, but I'm guessing most people will have the Winbeta version.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 at 12:59 (GMT -5)

winbeta.

either i can force dos version via dosbox, cause direct running is damn unstable.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 at 13:34 (GMT -5)

I play the DOS version without Dosbox and have experienced very few crashes as of yet. I don't like winbeta much because of the apparent lack of fullscreen, but it's probably the most popular version, so I say winbeta.

EDIT: The poll leans heavily towards fate decide. Unless that changes, I'll create our gender and r/c combo tomorrow at 12 o'clock here, which is 11 GMT.

We'll then decide on the starting talents for our r/c combo, if we want any. If we don't come to a consensus, Worst player... ever will decide, as he is the first one in the list. He is allowed to create the character with the set gender and race/class combo, generating the starsign randomly, and assigning the talents, starting from precisely 12:00 PM GMT.

PS: Worst player... ever, if you don't want to be the FIRST player, you have until 12:00 AM GMT tomorrow to say so :)

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/8/2008 at 13:55 (GMT -5) by Silfir]
Worst Player... ever
Registered user

Last page view:

4691 days, 7 hours, 59 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 at 15:10 (GMT -5)

I'm fine with leading off... wandering into Terinyo to get quests, then clearing 2-3 levels of the Village Dungeon. I usually don't get killed doing that... how bad can it be, right? :)

I use DOS too, but I just downloaded Winbeta4 so that's what I'll be on.

FYI, If I end up getting left to my own devices for talents, I am a Treasure Hunter guy and go for that as early as I can. But with this character (to help ensure early survival) I'll still pick Alert #1, but add some type of speed talent if possible... long stride or quick.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 at 15:45 (GMT -5)

Long Stride is usually very helpful early on for weak characters, and Healthy can be handy if there's no Healing. Of course talent choice will depend on r/c combo - trolls won't need so much help. Don't forget the druid option for characters that start with Healing.

As for worst that can happen... stone block trap followed by viper pit? Amushed by blink dogs? Killed by assassin in bandit town before you can even start properly? There's lots of nasty things that could quickly end this game - good luck avoiding them :)
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 at 17:39 (GMT -5)

Worst Player...ever:
> If you're looking to do an ultra ending,
> though, I might have to bow out

I would like to cast my vote... oh yeah, I don't
get a vote. Um, what I mean is, I would like
to humbly suggest that we strive for a non-ultra
victory. Just close the gate, at least for the
first RR game. Maybe later we could try for an
ultra.

Soirana:
> honestly i think game won't last 60k turns.

Are you thinking early death, or early victory?

Darren:
> I'd agree on 2000 turns personally - there's
> very little you can achieve in 1000,

Careful, I may take that as a challenge : )

As far as starting talents go, I'm fine with
anything myself. As long as we take 'alert' to
open the possibility of 'treasure hunter' I'm
happy.

Shall we allow a default name? We could just
each name the PC to whatever suits us, but a
stable name would be more...endearing.

Another thing, how shall we handle 'game breaking'
tactics? I know it is way early to be thinking
about this, but I am anyway. One character
recieves the PC at exp. level 22, and promptly
finds a RoDS. One wish for emperor moloch, in
the barbarian's glade later (combined with some
luck and skill), and the PC is exp. level 47.
This seems game breaking to me, so I wouldn't
want it. Also, killing multiple incarnations of
the EG to the same end, should be avoided. Dragon
gold doubling? I won't be using it, but I would
like to allow it (with limits) for those who
like it. Casino gold?

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/8/2008 at 18:00 (GMT -5) by gut]
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 at 17:51 (GMT -5)

We could call the community char Gygax.
Narcolepcy
Registered user

Last page view:

4805 days, 9 hours, 16 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 at 18:03 (GMT -5)

Would casting slow monster on yourself while your clearing a greater vault be a game breaking tactic? Easy way to go from 20-50.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 at 18:20 (GMT -5)

Uh, I'm not sure I'd be too comfortable playing a char named Gygax. I know it's honorific and all, but it feels weird playing a char named after a guy who died just a few days ago. As an alternative, how about the aforementioned Caligula? Insane and short-lived, much as our schizophrenic character will likely be.

As for game-breaking tactics, I think it should be clear we shouldn't do anything extreme. Most tactics are fine in moderation, but giving millions of gold to Garth, gremlin bombing, gaining levels too early and piety abuse are all out of the question. They would unbalance the character and ruin the game for everyone else. Also some of these tactics can be quite risky, and I'd rather hope no one would be taking such unnecessary risks for the sake of some scummy gains.

gut: See how far you can infinity dive in 1k turns with a fresh char then :P I've gotten to I20 in 3k turns before, according to my high score list.
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 at 18:57 (GMT -5)

I agree with Darren Grey - try to keep it in moderation. There's nothing wrong with being careful and using ways to buff up the community char, but don't overdo it. The others want to play, too!
Go to page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: