Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Help - Detect Item Status

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

FantomFang
Registered user

Last page view:

5796 days, 2 hours, 47 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 at 01:16 (GMT -5)

Given that I don't have much experience, I can't seem to play a character successfully (as in make it past a few lvls it seems) unless i have Detect Item Status, simply because i don't know when i will find an altar and i usually need to equip stuff to survive. Maybe i just have luck, but approx. 2/3rds of the stuff i equip is cursed and thereby is hard for my starting char to remove. Are there certain items i should stay away from equipping early on, and only try to get a good shield or body armor or something, taking the risk? or is there something im just missing?

I guess what im asking is simply this: Concerning items, what are your strategies for choosing what to equip and not when you don't know the B/U/C status of the item?

I'm just sick and tired of starting a character that immediately gets bogged down with so many cursed items w/out a handy decursing means...makes it hard to get the DV/PV up when your levels jump so much at the beginning, and accordingly so does the monsters.
Going for 2nd win
Narcolepcy
Registered user

Last page view:

4803 days, 17 hours and 27 minutes ago.
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 at 02:43 (GMT -5)

Generally you should only equip something if you know it is better, either by shop psuedo identifying or by simple common knowledge, ie a crude spear is better than a spear, or a metal hat is better than no hat. Say you are wearing leather armour, do not equip any leather armours, just keep the one you got. I like to go through the vd and get all the crap in it and after I get healing go to holeinthwall and equip whatever items the shopkeeper offers me the most gold for. They will either be cursed and significantly more powerful, or uncursed. Also if you get stuck with some truly horendous cursed crap you can always remove anything with a quick trip to the tower of eternal flames, usually a round or two and anything you got on is toast. Just leave your good stuff in the barbarians glade and dont starve or get ambushed (if your decently fast theres little risk). If you just want a suggestion on a good class with detect items, try drakeling priests, they have great regens, especially for a semi hybrid char and they are very hard to kill in the begining.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/10/2008 at 02:47 (GMT -5) by Narcolepcy]
FantomFang
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 at 17:32 (GMT -5)

Thanks for the advice, I'll try and follow it. Just thought I'd comment on the fact that I just started a Gray Elf Wizard, started with Acid Bolt and Teleportation, then went into the Small Cave and found a second book of teleportation next to the stairs. wow.
Going for 2nd win
FantomFang
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 at 18:30 (GMT -5)

hopefully i don't jinx myself, but i also got 3 bolt spells and a ball spell, my first ever, right off the bat. Nice. Along with starting with a [+0, +4] robe that i promptly made [+2,+4].
Going for 2nd win
Worst Player... ever
Registered user

Last page view:

4689 days, 16 hours and 10 minutes ago.
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 at 21:34 (GMT -5)

"Also if you get stuck with some truly horendous cursed crap you can always remove anything with a quick trip to the tower of eternal flames, usually a round or two and anything you got on is toast."

The one time I tried that, a fire giant was generated right next to the staircase and I had no means of evading him (since I'd dropped all my stuff). But I did have the cursed item burned away before I died! :-)

So that does have its risks IMO. If I tried it again, I'd bring a fireproof blanket and a potion of invisibility just in case.
Narcolepcy
Registered user

Last page view:

4803 days, 17 hours and 27 minutes ago.
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 at 21:51 (GMT -5)

Ya that can happen but id say your more likely to be ambushed in the wilderness. Always better than quitting in any case.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: