Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Keeping a Character Alive

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

LostInPlace
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 at 20:35 (GMT -5)

Having played ADOM for roughly 1.5 years, and read this forum for most of that time, I've wondered for a while how to keep a character alive past the early game. What is 'strong enough?' More specifically...

1)What level (or stat level) should the average fighter-type non-troll character be before attempting things like the Animated Forest or Rehetep's revenge?

(I tend to head down to the forest anywhere from level 12 to 16, though normally that's while wearing a ring of invisibility or the like, but my characters seem to always run into an OOD monster immediately after [or I make the mistake of walking down a long hallway on DH2]).

2)If I should be waiting longer, where is a good place to level up (in this case, for a LV13 Drakeling monk)?

3)In the same vein, when is a good time to go to TotHK, ToEF, etc. (besides at the point of having all the necessary equipment)?

Thanks in advance.
liptick
Registered user
The elf lover

Last page view:

5245 days, 13 hours, 8 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 at 21:21 (GMT -5)

I'm no pro but i think i could give some advice.
In my experiences at the lvl you describe i have no problems with either the animated forest or the pyramid. The animated forest however is kind of an iffy place, at those lvls some of my characters use the trees to lvl up because i can easilly take a few of them in melee, rarely suffering a critical hit. on the other hand ive also been trapped with invisibility and high sneaking. For me the pyramid tends to be a matter of preperation more than anything. I've never had difficulty with rehetep, but the traps can cause some grief if you dont have teleport, high dex, or trap detection or some sort. Invisibility or fire help a lot with the top lvl of the pyramid.
As for the dwarven halls, i tend to avoid them if i find the stairs arent spawned close to each other, I've seen monsters there that i havent found any other place as far as ive made it (living walls). on the other hand with bolt spells, distance skills, or teleport and control they might not be so bad. I like to lvl up in the tower of eternal flames, altho if your not prepared to go there theres no use in that. another place is the darkforge, even if you can only deal with one steel golem at a time there are enough there (plus other random spawns) to help with at least one lvl up until around lvl 20.

I've never found the boss in the TotHK to be difficult, but ive only fought him a few times as i tend not to find any way of crossing the pyranas.
the tower of eternal flames, even if you are equiped properly, can be hard just because of the strength of the monsters. if you dont have ice spells the temple room can be quite difficult withought decent stats. unfortunately i have a lot of problems with that place 75% of the time so i really dont know when its safe to tackle it, i imagine its never truely safe.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/15/2008 at 21:22 (GMT -5) by liptick]
Narcolepcy
Registered user

Last page view:

4806 days, 8 hours, 10 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 at 21:51 (GMT -5)

The main initial challenge with this game is knowing when you are strong enough to defeat the opponents that you encounter, which is made slightly more challenging due to the various ways that different classes play. You also need to know where to go, and when. If you haven't already read this http://www.andywlms.com/adom/adomgb-toc.html as it will answer all your questions. For the animated forest I typically have 70 dv or more. General order of operations for the early game,
Smc to level 5
VD
PC
UD
COC
LostInPlace
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 at 22:11 (GMT -5)

I've heard others say similar things about the tower, so I suppose you're right.

Darkforge seems a little risky for a monk of that level, except perhaps for a Troll. I hadn't thought of the tower for leveling. Maybe I'll try it with my next character (the one I mentioned got paralyzed by a Dark Elven Priestess, and that was that).

Note to self: Priestesses corrupt AND paralyze.

Thanks again for your help.
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4068 days, 7 hours, 43 minutes and 27 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 at 07:34 (GMT -5)

Equipment is pretty important, especially a high PV (around 15, the higher the better). Max HP is also important, as is high DV (40 on normal is good, the higher the better). That's at least for early game dungeons. It's also important to have an efficient way of damaging your enemies. A well-trained higher metal weapon, for instance, is okay, as is beastfighter or monk unarmed combat. Slaying ammunition compatible with your dangerous enemy is best. Darkforge is something I wouldn't try until level 17 or so, and then only with ammunition of construct slaying.

Bottom line: Always pick up arrow and quarrel stacks, quarrel stacks especially if you've noticed them to be brown. Slaying ammunition makes the game so much easier it's not even funny.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4239 days, 7 hours, 1 minute and 17 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 at 08:13 (GMT -5)

Well, my own personal opinion on requirements:

Early VD/DD
- Any

Deep VD/DD, puppy cave, early CoC
- Level 6, 5 PV (preferably higher)

UD, below dwarftown
- Level 10, 8 PV, decent weapon and shield

Beyond Animated Forest
- Level 14, 14 PV, well-trained shield, selection of good weapons

Pyramid
- Level 16 (the max you can be), wand of fireballs from dwarf quest, detect traps, potions of invisibility

Dwarven Graveyard
- Level 16, good weapon (blessed), offensive wands, cold resistance, healing potions

High Kings Dungeon
- Level 18, 20 PV, some herb training to get HP up to 150. Undead slaying ammo, wand of cold, normal DV over 60. On demand teleportation in case of emergency (eg doppelganger king).

DarkForge
- Same as high kings, with the addition of fire resistance for self and equipment. Construct slaying ammo or a penetrating weapon or a very high damage weapon essential.

Tower
- Level 22, 25 PV, 80 normal DV (preferably higher to deal with grues), 250 HP, high damage weapon (artifact preferred, especially humanoid or demon slayers). Dragon slaying or generic slaying ammo comes in very handy. Wands of acid and potions of confusion are a plus too.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: