Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / beast fighters

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

liptick
Registered user
The elf lover

Last page view:

5243 days, 55 minutes and 27 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 at 21:28 (GMT -5)

Ive never really given this class any real attempts.
after randomly rolling a troll beastfighter, and reading about them being a good combination, ive decided id like to try it. the problem for me is i dont understand what they are, some sort of fighter sure enough, but whats the deal with them fighting melee? are there penalties for using weapons like a monk? what are there advantages and class powers?
Narcolepcy
Registered user

Last page view:

4803 days, 19 hours, 57 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 at 21:38 (GMT -5)

You have some backward assumptions there. Monks get no penalty for using weapons, it's beastfighters that get the penalties. As for class powers you can read them yourself in the manual, but basically they are good with ranged combat and unarmed combat.
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3114 days, 14 hours, 17 minutes and 23 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 at 09:10 (GMT -5)

Trolls aren't a good combination with anything. Especially not with a class who's damage output depends on their level.
Beastfighters are armoured beasts that tear up greater molochs with their bare hands. The unarmed damage starts out normal, but scales up to 1d36+ ~60 on level 50.
Treat them like tanks, stock up on heavy armour and let your feral fists do the job.

The best Beastfighters are dark elf, gnomish or orcish beastfighters.

Gnomes level up very fast, and in the early game you'll soon find that you're doing more damage then any other race/class combo (not counting very lucky precrowns).
Dark Elves are a little tough in the early game, but get past lvl 6 and you'll have high chances of winning.
Orcs are built for early survival, up to level 17-18 nothing should touch you.
A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/16/2008 at 09:26 (GMT -5) by Maelstrom]
Aragorn
Registered user

Last page view:

4856 days, 4 hours, 10 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 at 04:30 (GMT -5)

I love orcish beastfighters, recently closed the gate with one ...
You get great skills like Find Weakness, Athletics, Dodge

Orcs are very strong so early game is no problem.
This char killed ACW with just sling and rocks and ASB with bare hands. ASB could land only one hit on him, at other times it failed to hurt him.
In both the cases I didnt use the well advised strategy of Po blindness, wand of paralyzation, etc..

Some think that beastfighters are not great because they cannot wield a weapon and shield.
But they have awesome damage as well as dv. Dodge increases DV and Athletics increases speed.
You should pick the PV line of talents ending with Immune to Pain
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4065 days, 19 hours, 30 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 at 11:38 (GMT -5)

The PV line? I guess you run out of good talents for the Beastfighter at some point because you can't take any weapon talent that is not Brawler, but I've never felt that one to be quite worth it.

Dark elven beastfighters are a good choice if you want the perfect beastfighter skillset, because you get all the skills mentioned above plus Alertness and start out with a spider shell armor with 5 PV.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Sardaukar
Registered user

Last page view:

5627 days, 23 hours, 10 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 at 18:11 (GMT -5)

I also like Drakeling Beastfighters. Alertness is always nice and Music will lessen the need to kill cats=makes Cat Lord more kick-ass=bad. And that acid spit is nice to take out karmic beings etc. you don't want to melee.
Sardaukar
Registered user

Last page view:

5627 days, 23 hours, 10 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 at 18:12 (GMT -5)

To add, Beastfighter is IMHO *the* easiest class to keep alive in early game. Great for exploring the game for beginner.
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4065 days, 19 hours, 30 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 at 05:09 (GMT -5)

Orcish barbarians are practically toddler mode, if you ask me.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Sulangatori
Registered user
Tourist

Last page view:

1439 days, 12 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 at 10:27 (GMT -5)

Just rolled a trollish beastfighter. Stayed in PC until lvl10. Found a dark sage and identified my equipment: 7LB (leather boots) and AoLS (golden amulet). Got TC and a wand of teleportation, as well. Stairs in SMC were as close as possible and now the dwarf wants me to kill a large bat... It's actually no fun this way.

Only thing I can make of it all is that my first kill must have been a jackal.
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5139 days, 42 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 at 11:07 (GMT -5)

I just got a random Troll beastfighter too.

They are so powerful in the early game, that they..well, are powerful.

Try this: Do small village, bandit village (first kill + pickpocket) then SMC (clear it out) and descend UD. You got herbalism, and will surely find herbs. Also you will probably find an altar. Kill stuff, sacricife, get precrowned at level 8. And like me, be lucky enough to get ring of immunity.

Doing CoC now, and can get the SI and the artifact potions without problems since I no longer care about generated artifacts. Soon I'll get a pickaxe and dig out some juicy gems. Fire, Health, Light/Dark and Knowledge (to get more skills on levelup)

Weaker Beastfighters would have had to...do some other stuff before this. Hm. Oh. Right.

One of my all-time best characters was a gnome beastfighter. Decided to do an ultra with him, without properly working out how to finish the ElDeR ChAoS GoD while wielding a weapon. Should have had more bow training, and slaying ammo. RIP.

Beastfighters are very strong characters, good skills, powerful melee attack. And they get a energy-cost-reducing class power, which really is great.

You should sell all weapons without IDing them, that way you won't be disappointed by wicked eternium two-handed swords of devastation.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 4/3/2008 at 11:08 (GMT -5) by Molach]

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: