Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Garth training

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 2 pages long.
Go to page 1 2
Narcolepcy
Registered user

Last page view:

4805 days, 15 hours, 23 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 at 06:04 (GMT -5)

You fail training checks over time, so 10k isnt the same as 20k. Stop arguing semantics, end topic, only further thing I could post is the exact training formula and thatd just piss people off.
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

5849 days, 16 hours, 41 minutes and 3 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 at 16:45 (GMT -5)

Well ok thank you all now it's quite clear:
- Garth training can fail just because there's a random chance it fails.
- The random chance that a garth training fails can be lowered by paying more than prices in the guidebook.
- Many game events can interfere with a garth training and make it fail, some special rooms, some eating related to the stat trained, some items wearing, overburden state, and so on.
- You can lower the risk of this happen by training close to a level up because a level up will involve a stat check. But that's not necessary a good idea to only train in this case.
- After 1000 turns and probably bellow if the stat didn't increase then it's probably because the training failed for some reasons.

For my case and current char, stats training close to 25 worked like a charm with herbs and sickness (or not) but I lost many gold in Garth training and failed for ST and LE. Since my first post here I finished herbs training and didn't get anything from garth. Garth training before for lower stats worked much better.

Now I have very few gold and will make garth training later. I'll definitely attempt doubling the price suggested in the guidebook. I'll also try some before my next level up.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/21/2008 at 16:46 (GMT -5) by Doalag]
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 at 12:32 (GMT -5)

Discouraging, still no success for training ST. I almost paid double the price for the current ST level with sickness. In fact before I also tried 150%. I didn't eat any ogres or special corpse. I just eat some kobolds/herbs to be sure to stay sick.

Current ST is only 20 with sick, base value is 28 and potential value 30. Is there something I didn't understand? Should I have trained for 29 instead of 21? I understood current value as the current total value but I realized the ingame table show Cur for what I name base value.

EDIT: Is there any time limit for training with garth?

Subsidiary question is there any torture command? I'd like apply some at this point.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/22/2008 at 12:38 (GMT -5) by Doalag]
Timpen
Registered user
za za zaa za zaa

Last page view:

5770 days, 15 hours, 53 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 at 12:43 (GMT -5)

You can torture yourself by 'u'seing a whip in the tool slot. It even gives a lawful boost :-)
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 at 13:11 (GMT -5)

Nope you didn't catch the trick, the game tortures me enough I don't need more but something onto apply the same tactic, it's a point of balance. :-)

If someone could answer the serious question I'd prefer!

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/22/2008 at 13:12 (GMT -5) by Doalag]
Timpen
Registered user
za za zaa za zaa

Last page view:

5770 days, 15 hours, 53 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 at 14:25 (GMT -5)

What do you mean by time limit? Time passed before the stats should have increased? I think that is 1000 turns or something around that, usually I hold 5 and then after like 30-40 seconds I get + in skills then 30-40 seconds more my stats go up.

Edit: Noticed you already know about the 1000 turns thing :P

Edit2: If your main question about which stat level adom uses its the stat that shows atm after sickness or w/e you are effected by. How would st training work with ring of weakness otherwise?
Si vis pacem, para bellum

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/22/2008 at 14:27 (GMT -5) by Timpen]
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 at 15:39 (GMT -5)

Time limit : For example, after 2 years of game time, garth is too old to train anymore.

For natural training like for ST, carry too heavy load, I know it's the current value, for Herbs I noticed it too. For garth training I was wondering.
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4896 days, 16 hours, 31 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 at 18:00 (GMT -5)

> Discouraging, still no success for training ST.
> I almost paid double the price for the current
> ST level with sickness

Paying more does increase the chance of a stat
raise, but to guarantee a stat raise, you must
pay a very large amount. The exact amount has
been discovered, but it was through code diving,
so I don't really want to post it. The gold that
you paid, would have given a respectable chance
to increase the stat. It sounds like the RNG just
gave some bad luck this time.

> Should I have trained for 29 instead of 21?

Paying more wouldn't hurt, of course, but the
idea of using the sickness exploit, is to lower
the training cost. I am wondering, do you know
your PC's status, as far as 'cursed', 'doomed',
'lucky', and 'fate smiles' intrinsics. Perhaps
they also have an effect.

If Garth training isn't working out, for your ST
stat, there are other ways. I consider starvation
to be more useful than sickness, when ST training.
To use starvation, you will need some corpses from
ogres, ettins, or hill giants. You can starve before
each one, or sell the corpses to a shop, and then
'starve train' all at one time.

The third dwarf quest opens the ogre cave in
dwarftown, and that place is full of good corpses.
If your PC does not have the Food Preservation
skill, they may rot on you, before you can use
them. I would reccomend selling them to the local
shop, as they are generated. Corpses will not rot,
once the shop owns them (for some reason?!), so
you can starve, buy, eat, and repeat.

Do keep an eye on your stats as they decrease,
when starving your PC. They will steadily decrease
by one point for every ~two game turns. When they
stop dropping, every ~two game turns, that means
you are getting close to staving to death. Once
your ST is below 17, you can eat a corpse, for a
good chance to raise ST.

> Is there any time limit for training with garth?

I have never heard of any.

Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!
Narcolepcy
Registered user

Last page view:

4805 days, 15 hours, 23 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 at 18:47 (GMT -5)

To max stat chances @20 is 22000, @28 is 1022501, just to give you an idea. Intrinsics have no effect on training.
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 at 22:03 (GMT -5)

Gut : I paid 14000 and then 18000 to get ST from 20 to 21, no success. Not to mention previous attempts for this same training. No more doom or curse but luck and smile fate. Thanks for the detailed hint for the ogres cave I think I'll try it even if it's not that easy. About this I thought I could bring some blessed water to bless corpse picked to preserve them longer.

Narcolepcy : Thanks, I wasn't far for the ST in my last try and finally I paid much much more for nothing. Those numbers are quite more than the double of those in the guidebook.
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 at 06:41 (GMT -5)

I got only 3 corpses from the ogre cave, ha well I cannot complain I also got quickly 2 other from the large area above the dwarf town. All five are safe in the shop that was quite close.

I also level up without to attempt a training just before! Ha well I hadn't the 22k
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 at 07:56 (GMT -5)

Lol I had in fact 4 ogre corpse (only 2 from ogre cave) got ST to 16 4 times, eat each time an ogre corpse, nothing! @&!$% this game, all this time and effort lost for nothing!

EDIT : Ok bored to be .... where are those black dragons again? :-D

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/23/2008 at 07:57 (GMT -5) by Doalag]
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3116 days, 9 hours, 43 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 at 11:16 (GMT -5)

Swamps, you need to be lvl 15 and over (I think it was lvl 15, maybe more - you encounter air elementals and dorn beasts in the plains, wild boars and fomorians in the woods, red dragons in the mountains.)
A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 at 13:19 (GMT -5)

Ok thanks is there anything that can be tamed in that? The wild boars? :-)

I attempted one more time with few more ogres (5) push starvation a little further, more ST 14 first then ST 15 and got the +2 to ST which is now at its maximum potential.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4238 days, 14 hours, 14 minutes and 16 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 at 14:56 (GMT -5)

Wild boars can be tamed. They're probably the best pets other than the residents of the bug temple - they're fast and hit damn hard. Can actually be troublesome for an early character to deal with.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 at 15:08 (GMT -5)

Ouaa dam cool, the last new pets I found up to now are the cave bears that I started find plenty at level 10 (or perhaps a bit before) and many in wilderness mountains. In fact after a series of lightning lizards in some UD levels I haven't see them anymore yet.

I don't think my character is early anymore, it is more middle now.
vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

4955 days, 21 hours and 45 minutes ago.
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 at 04:38 (GMT -5)

Can we get a screen shot Doalag? I reckon we are all pretty curious about your stats - not many people have chosen your path - there is Trinity at one extreme, and a fair few L50 bards who just seemed to use pets to kill cats at the other (Like Darren's Tarindil), but few seem to have tried to level up both their pets and themselves...
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 at 06:46 (GMT -5)

Yes I can make a screenshot and I will but what's special are the pets, how can you imagine I have something special, it's just a standard char with too much stuff because of pets training. Take care that it's a scumming game, I only try fake a standard game by long play session.

For cats, yes pets makes it easy... except that I recently stupidly failed it in the arena, damit I got a poor lion killed before I realize. I should have tamed it and then summon something and help this something with healing or something, damit! :-D

For pets it's just a wrong game option I find fun to play, it's not level up pets it's level up multiple time pets because they die and level up so they are at least double your level. Doable at beginning but after... Anyway I'll post the screenshot in another thread but you won't have in it pets detail.
vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 at 11:32 (GMT -5)

Well you know, once you have won with your scummed character (enjoy those SoFS moments) you can start trying to do it again without scumming - thats where the fun will really begin :).

As for your PC - as suspected, looks in pretty good shape for a level 12 priest - gotta love the spell list.

How on earth can you wander around without that battle axe of devastation? I know you aren't wanting to kill too many monsters, but dude, thats a nice axe.
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 at 12:13 (GMT -5)

SoFS moments? scroll of familiar summoning moments? What you mean? I didn't get any of those scrolls yet.

The eagle axe gives me +5 speed some more protection and better searching. Ok nothing major but yes the point if that I prefer do less damages. Still a stuff I could take for the pyramid or for special places. Yep I should have get it in the arena.
vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 at 05:14 (GMT -5)

You will find some of those scrolls eventually though, and I think they are the easiest way to get powerful pets on D50.
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4067 days, 14 hours, 56 minutes and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 at 06:36 (GMT -5)

The easiest? Didn't you mean to say "the only one besides wishing for friends"? :)
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/26/2008 at 06:37 (GMT -5) by Silfir]
vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 at 08:29 (GMT -5)

No figurines of wondrous power here?

Plus as a priest he ought to be able to summon monsters, although not necessarily very powerful ones
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 at 09:13 (GMT -5)

I still have to see those mythic figurines of wondrous power. :-) A Priest summon monster? How? And tamed?
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4067 days, 14 hours, 56 minutes and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 at 10:33 (GMT -5)

No, not tamed. You'd have to use music to tame the summoned monsters, and monsters you can tame are always animals, and all animals except killer bugs are weak (and even a killer bug, if untrained, might not survive on D:50 for long).

I totally forgot about the figurines, because they are so retardedly rare - ESPECIALLY the ones with powerful monsters. Which doesn't make my statement less false. I'm very sorry!
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Go to page 1 2

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: