Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Pyramid or Arena first?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 2 pages long.
Go to page 1 2
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

5843 days, 17 hours, 26 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 at 05:28 (GMT -5)

For Garth training, at least for CH I suspect that there's more than just a high cost problem. Garth training is said to be done for the current stat level but with CH 12 and paying 4 times the price in the guidebook I got nothing.

Too bad I'd really enjoy get a higher CH for the pets.
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4890 days, 17 hours, 16 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 at 17:12 (GMT -5)

There is a way, just drink your cursed potion of
exchange. It will swap around 5 of your stats (if
memory serves), and thus give a high probability
of increasing your CH. The downside of this, is
that your CH and AP scores, will be transfered
to other stats.

If your ST went to 12, you could be crushed by
the wieght of your inventory. With preparation
though, that's not a problem. ST, WI, TO, DE, and
MA, are all easily trained, so it shouldn't take
too long to get those stats high again. LE is a
different matter. You do have an extra PoE, in
case things don't look nice with just the one.

Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 at 19:08 (GMT -5)

I have thinking to try exchange but I'm not sure now my stats are higher so tougher to rise. You forgot I already have corruptions. In fact my base stats are :
ST 30/30 - LE 23/26 - WI 24/26 - DX 26/29 - TO 39/40
CH 24/28 - AP 25/31 - MA 31/35 - PE 26/26

So LE can't be lower so eventually it's a point in favor to exchange. For TO I can't expect it as high than its current value, but it's an exchange that put it to this value and I'm not sure if I need something that high currently.

What I don't like is the random value, in fact why use it blessed to exchange only 2 stats when it's random anyway?

The bigger problem is that it will take some time to get back to more normal value after some exchange. Also unlike you believe there isn't so much chance I rise CH.

EDIT : I checked the guidebook and cursed exchange 6 stats. So yes to raise CH it's the best chance and at worse I lower CH to 1.

The bad thing I can get is to rise WI as I'll continue eat corpse to raise MA/PP and lower WI but will lost WI points until it's lower to 25 with sick. Then only with herbs I won't really lost WI points with corpse eating.

What's your though for those base values?

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/26/2008 at 19:28 (GMT -5) by Doalag]
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 at 19:31 (GMT -5)

You tempt me evil Gut! :-D I don't like attempt stupid chance like that but. The more wrong that can happen with exchange is that I get a too high WI.

If this happen I could attempt cancel it with 5 PoE whooo it's a little complicate to compute the chances. :-)
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 at 19:45 (GMT -5)

6/9 chance the WI stats is involved in the exchange, so 2/3 chance this happen. If this happen there's 3 stats with 30 or more I won't like for WI. Let say this means there's 3/8 chance WI gets a +30 stats (not sure this shortcut is right!) So there's 2/3 * 3/8 chance that I get the wrong thing. Ie 6/24 chance so 1/4 chance it happens, 25% that's a lot.

Well now even more tougher, it happens and now I have 5 more PoE that I curse. The chance it doesn't get back to a value lower than 30 is :
6/9 * 2/8 ie 6/36 ie 1/6 but 5 times so 1/7776

So finally the whole chance I attempt an exchange and stop if WI isn't 30 or more but stick to a higher value up to the end is : 1/4 * 1/7776 so 1/31104.

Well it seems low if my computing are right. Now what chance I get during the operation a significantly higher CH ie 30 or more? Well too complicate!!!

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/26/2008 at 20:13 (GMT -5) by Doalag]
Sulangatori
Registered user
Tourist

Last page view:

1434 days, 20 hours, 24 minutes and 6 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 at 19:59 (GMT -5)

You forgot a zero there.
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 at 20:12 (GMT -5)

You think it's right with an error of range zero? :-p

Go on fire the right numbers, anyway I'm not sure of my shortcut at the beginning and feel to lazy to think too hard about that!

About getting the CH to 30+ it's like above if this is right so 25% but if at same time WI get 30+ the logic starts to be different it's to get WI lower than 30 but when trying that CH could do the same.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/26/2008 at 20:14 (GMT -5) by Doalag]
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 at 20:41 (GMT -5)

You know what? I couldn't resist to attempt my chance and drinked the curse PoE. And yes I got exactly what I din't want to get! Ie CH didn't changed and WI got the max value!!!

Ha well now I have only hope I can cancel this crap!

EDIT When look at it closely it's complicate, I got also a second not that good thing, LE didn't changed. But I got drop down of ST and TO. Current values are 18 and 16, With sick+strained+herbs perhaps I could rise them and then again more ogres corpse for ST. I still regret to have attempt this.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/26/2008 at 20:48 (GMT -5) by Doalag]
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 at 20:52 (GMT -5)

Ok I'll suffer with this, will rise ST+TO a bit and won't eat anything that drop down WI (which is now very high, 43) and then only I'll attempt more PoE to get WI lower. Eventually at least I'll get more positive from those penalties from corruptions.

New current stats (Current Base/Potential):
ST 18 (24/28) - LE 29 (23/36) - WI 43 (39/40) - DX 30 (26/29)
TO 16 (25/31) - CH 24 (24/28) - AP 12 (30/30) - MA 26 (26/26)
PE 37 (31/35)

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/26/2008 at 21:03 (GMT -5) by Doalag]
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

5843 days, 17 hours, 26 minutes and 6 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 at 21:13 (GMT -5)

I forgot, I also followed another of your advices Gut, read most of those spell books. Well LE didn't changed from a single point!

I quote a strange thing : For about 80% of the spell the first book I read last a long time then all further books last a lot less, and often I got series of books that disappear at first reading. There's perhaps something there and not a good idea to read many books in a row. Ok I'll find more anyway and for most learned a nice number, it didn't work but well nothing really nasty.

Ok so Gut have you more advices to make me lost the game? :-p
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4061 days, 15 hours, 41 minutes and 29 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 at 21:22 (GMT -5)

The reason why the first book in a group lasts a lot longer is because it isn't actually always the same book. Every time you read a book, it enters your inventory at the lowest entry for that particular book type. So essentially you've been reading all the books one at a time, and so they all run out of readings at the same time.

This phenomenon becomes more obvious if you have several books of the same spell with different blessed/uncursed/cursed status.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4890 days, 17 hours, 16 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 at 21:33 (GMT -5)

> You know what? I couldn't resist to
> attempt my chance and drinked the
> curse PoE. And yes I got exactly what
> I din't want to get!

Well, you picked a fine time to stop
save-scumming! : ) Seriously though,
sorry things didn't swap too nicely
there, but TO is pretty easy to train
back up. ST and DX would require some
starvation, plus corpses and moss.

> I forgot, I also followed another of
> your advices Gut, read most of those
> spell books. Well LE didn't changed
> from a single point!

Reading books does train the LE stat.
With LE at 29, it would take quite a
lot of training to raise it. Still,
with all those books you had, I really
did expect a raise.

> Ok so Gut have you more advices to
> make me lost the game? :-p

Well, not just now, but maybe later...

High WI isn't so bad, it will make your
spells more powerful, and I don't think
any monster will be capable of confusing
you now. Your bolt spells will have
a longer range though, so be cautious
with devine wrath and minor punishment
bolts, they can bounce back and get
you. I have had many of my spellcasters
killed with their own bouncing bolts.
Combined with the farsight spell, high
willpower (long bolt spells) can be
very useful.
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 at 21:58 (GMT -5)

It's not really that I stopped scummy but, I do long session without to save any backup and I use scummy only for my char death, and for testing sometimes some stuff. I even stopped it because of a pet death.

Ton of books disappeared after first reading, so I probably read less than you are thinking, well it took me a very long time anyway, a little boring, ha well that's done, at a point I was almost happy each time a book was disappearing. :-)

Ok I got your next clue, use bolts a lot to crash my char and kill all my pets!

Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 at 22:03 (GMT -5)

Silfir : Ok you are right, that should be that, next time I'll always read the last in the list so I get a better evaluation of what I'm using.
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 at 09:42 (GMT -5)

Some feedbacks about the various advices I got for this char :
- Using 2 shields + use more armors with PV instead of DV : Most often pets do the fights plus I always have spells. And shield skill rise much more fast. I also found it cool to use when there's dark around to avoid hurt pets.

- Herbs training : Really working fine to train TO/DEX to 25 with sick, I got some good herbs configuration so despite no gardening skill, I could use it nicely. I got a strange thing, I was training TO with herbs but was using more herbs than I should and level up and got the +1 to TO but also a +1 to WI... from 43 to 44!

- Mixing garth training and level up. Despite pets use, it's not easy at all to manage that, I never succeed a this point. In fact I'm really negative about garth training it seems a crap, I almost suspect a bug.

- Cursed potion(s) of exchange : Potentially it's really powerful to develop the stats of the char but a TO strong drop down aren't easy to manage, I tend forget Hits are again that low after an exchange or sick use. So I died 3 times partially because of that. With exchanges and stats training I finally get a powerful char and at least with CH 41 but it died few after when sick to train some stats! :-)

- Starvation and some corpse, I didn't get a lot of luck with that, for example I eat 8 ogre corpses with starved ST 12/13 and didn't get a single increase to ST. Too much thing to manage, right corpse too rare, necessity to have a shop around is a big limit, whole procedure too boring, I don't think I'll attempt that anymore if I don't have cooking/food preservation, except for the ogres cave.

- Ring of ice and fire. At level 13 I started met many more white baby dragons, so I'm happy to have keep the ring of fire. I also got multiple time the protection message for the ring of ice.

- Hooded cloak : I continue keep it but also noticed rust for wear stuff because of water trap or rust monster. I plan try not use it anymore as I have a waterproof blanket, eventually keep it in backpack.

- Weapons : I carry much more close range weapons, some axes and a set of knife/daggers. I also used them more but level up to 13 is fast anyway.

- Missiles : I carry now a set of constructs slaying and a set of thunder, but never used them at this point.

- Griff before Pyramid, I tried and that shouldn't be a problem if I hadn't troublesome with low TO that I forget. Clearly pets level 26/27 (didn't attempt with borys) could easily do the job but not against Griff. The numerous traps has been tough to manage with pets despite nice skills for traps. I had to retame a pet I had left behind, another that left after to be teleported by a trap and finally had one pet teleported somewhere in the level and that had left (but possible retame) and lost another pet against Griff before my char died too. I lost this pet but I could easily avoid it.

Clearly I should better do the underground level of the Griff quest with no pets or eventually only Borys because I think it never left (to be confirmed), something that can help a lot to manage it. The problem isn't really Griff but the combination of traps and mini boss like Griff.

I lost a char with no save backup since a long time so I didn't progress much further and at this point still not have attempt to do the pyramid. :-)

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/30/2008 at 09:44 (GMT -5) by Doalag]
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 at 16:52 (GMT -5)

Ok I did the Griff quest and the pyramid. For Griff quest only at my second attempt but pyramid at first. The point is I get focused by attributes improvement for my char but after a first death in the griff quest I avoid it and the pyramid. So during this character training I didn't progress but ends in pets level 32/33.

They goes to level 34 during Griff quest and I did the pyramid with 3 level 34 pets. Ok I spoiled a little the fun because they was too strong at this point. Still imagine tension and totally enjoyed those 2 quests. I'm not sure how strong pets should be to be ok but not too easy. Griff is probably the more dangerous for pets and pets level 26/27 had hard time to ever hit him. But with pets level 33 plus I setup an ambush for Griff with 3 pets and me on him, Griff didn't cause any trouble.

For Nonnak it was even easier, a funny fight with the 3 pets, large area are the best base. The pyramid caused even less trouble with the 3 pets level 34. I suspect pets level 27/28 could do the job but only if the character take care of Griff.

For both intensive detect traps and disarm traps plus close control of pets did the job fine. I got few pet teleported because of some errors but nothing get wrong from this. I have now CH 40+ and I suspect that at this point pet don't leave you anymore (this need tougher testing and confirmation). Anyway the problem is more to not have them killed when teleported elsewhere, if they left you could find them and tame them again. Eventually this could even be better because they'll certainly be engaged in less fights if they left you.
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5657 days, 9 hours, 53 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 at 10:46 (GMT -5)

If you can manage to slip by Griff before Nonnak summons the place full of undead, you can kill him really easily, by pouring holy water on his grave. That also gives you quite a lawful alignment boost IIRC.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4890 days, 17 hours, 16 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 at 10:48 (GMT -5)

If memory serves, it also results in more PoEH
from Thrundarr.
Go to page 1 2

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: