Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Backing up initial save

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

FantomFang
Registered user

Last page view:

5788 days, 23 hours, 32 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 at 00:05 (GMT -5)

Do you believe that it is scumming to create a character and then back up the initial savefile of the character, so you don't have to deal with the generation of the Starsign you want over and over again? (For example)

Just wondering what people's opinion on this is, considering I don't plan on using it for anything beyond that (not gonna scum for stats a character with stats divisable by 7, MA18+, and the perfect starsign and otw awesome starting stats). I just don't wanna deal with trying to get the damn starsign i want for a character, and with the amount of early game deaths i have, it is (IMO) the most annoying part of the game for me >.<
Going for 2nd win
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5131 days, 18 hours, 56 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 at 04:50 (GMT -5)

Only if I were to play some very special challenge (brimstone man..? Ironman?), or for testing. As a multiple winner, I handicap myself by taking whatever starsign I get.
Narcolepcy
Registered user

Last page view:

4796 days, 14 hours, 11 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 at 05:19 (GMT -5)

Unless the character was made on a special day like new years eve, I'd say thats about equal to starsign scumming. Up to you what you think is fun though, and don't let anyone tell u different.
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4058 days, 13 hours, 44 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 at 06:18 (GMT -5)

I usually just play with the starsign I get as well. I groan and immediately quit if I get Candle and randomly roll an orcish barbarian or archer of any race, because I've been there, done that, and it's way too easy.

Apart from that, you are playing the same character over and over, which is savescumming in my eyes. In startup, quite a number of things are decided, after all, not only the starsign. I mean, it's probably the tamest form of savescumming there is, but it is.

My way to deal with starsigns for a long time was just to play a class that was suited to the randomly generated starsign.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/28/2008 at 06:22 (GMT -5) by Silfir]
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4887 days, 15 hours, 18 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 at 10:16 (GMT -5)

> Do you believe that it is scumming to create a
> character and then back up the initial savefile
> of the character,

I think every PC should get only one death. Unless
of course, you aren't being too serious about the
PC. If you know that character is just for fun,
that's fine in my eyes. I don't think it's for
the HoF though.

> Only if I were to play some very special
> challenge (brimstone man..?

To me, starting new PC's is part of the challenge.
Having infinite tries with a great starting PC,
would kind of undermine the challenge. I think
the only form of resurection, should be within
the game : )

Having said all that mess, there are a few things
you can do to speed things up a bit, as far as PC
generation is concerned. You have to edit the
.cfg file, but you should be doing that anyway : )

Here is an example of how my .cfg file is edited,
when I'm tortur-I mean, trying for a 24000 turn win:

Questioned_Attributes = false
sex = female
class = wizard
race = Gray Elf
name = yy

This cuts down on a number of key presses. When
I'm done, I just go back and put #'s before the
ones I don't need anymore.

Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!
FantomFang
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 at 17:53 (GMT -5)

Yea, I'd done some of that, and used your advice to help generate a lot of characters quickly, without having to go through all of the menus. Thanks =).

Quick unrelated question: What's your methodology on the first kill? I know it's pretty easy if you do a normal ending, but lets say I wanted to have the option to try an ultra later on, what should i think about making my first kill, while leaving courage open to get? And what other early game decisions would you need to make to get the ultra (like not Crowning, and such)?
Going for 2nd win
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 at 18:06 (GMT -5)

If you want both Courage and an ultra ending, you need to make your first kill something that's available somehow to kill twenty times, but also controllable so you don't have to kill it 1056 times. A bandit in Lawenilothehl is a nice choice, since you can hunt for bandit random encounters later. Also okay is hunting for large dog or big dog encounters, as they are pretty rare in dungeons.

Apart from that, yes, you have to wait with your crowning, and I guess you also have to choose some of the more scummy tactics, maybe bit the bullet and gremlin bomb or something. I think playing an archer is a good idea for an ultra, as they become the most powerful users of slaying ammo (perfect method to kill all the powerful monster that would waste you otherwise). Having the luck to find a wand of wishing at some point makes it a whole lot easier to finish the Gaab'Baay quests.

If you do an ultra, it's pretty much a requirement to eat lots of killer bugs and quicklings, as the extra speed is VERY helpful against Andor Drakon.

My methodology? I kill the first thing I see, since I haven't yet begun to really aim for ultras.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/28/2008 at 18:07 (GMT -5) by Silfir]
FantomFang
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 at 18:13 (GMT -5)

heh, i see what you mean. But yeah, funny thing is, between originally playing this game at school, and playing several characters on different versions, i've easily had over 100 characters die, but only 20 or so on the version i've now come to love, ADOM Sage! yay for colored writing. Maybe I could scum to enter the bug temple =p (I can see my high score list now, with 80 characters with names along the line of Jk, slkj, skl, e, i, and such, lol)

EDIT: Trying to get a character off the ground atm, and after trying a few, I noticed an odd coincidence: if its not a bard, it always dies to a monster. If its a bard (of which ive made several), it ALWAYS dies of a stone block trap...either right away or about lvl6-7, as I'm getting ready to leave the ID. I just know the RNG is laughing at me.
Going for 2nd win

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/28/2008 at 18:50 (GMT -5) by FantomFang]
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 at 18:55 (GMT -5)

You know, when I started playing, I wasted so many characters entering the bug temple was possible long before I even knew it existed. And somewhere among the 100 entries in my high score list, I think I've still got characters as old as 2003, when I bought my current PC (ADOM 1.1.1 was pretty new back then! I first came to know the awesomeness of ADOM in the 1.0.0 version, having discovered it on one of the freeware sites I used to browse for gaming food. Of all the games I've discovered on those sites, ADOM has got to be the most miraculous find. I must have sunk about 3000 hours into this drug of a game. Not even the Diablo 2 + MP3 collection combo was this effective at killing my time.)

Forgive me the nostalgy and the off-topicness :) I don't want to change to ADOM sage mainly because I'd probably lose my high score list, and all those ancient characters that still somehow manage to stay in it, and because the DOS version runs stable on my machines. If it ain't broken, don't fix it!
FantomFang
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 at 19:00 (GMT -5)

Yeah, it wasn't so bad for me because i had so few characters, and none of them particular noteworthy. The topic is basically answered and done with, IMO, i just hate creating another topic in so short of time, when i can hijack my own perfectly good thread from earlier =p

again, boo stone block traps! You are my bane!
Going for 2nd win
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4887 days, 15 hours, 18 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 at 20:33 (GMT -5)

And the bane of all elves. I have had an exp.
level 14 elf die to a stone block trap.
Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 at 22:02 (GMT -5)

I've had a level 14 wizard die to a pit. Okay, to an array of traps, closing with a pit. I know the use of Detect traps in the Pyramid since that rueful day.
FantomFang
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 at 23:50 (GMT -5)

hehe, yea...its just frustrating to think that "hey, i finally got a character going!" only to die 10-20 steps from the exit of the ID, dropping to exactly 0 hp
Going for 2nd win
Narcolepcy
Registered user

Last page view:

4796 days, 14 hours, 11 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 at 04:28 (GMT -5)

All my bards die playing music surrounded by rats and wererats, wich doesn't seem to work well enough early game. For first kill I recomend a Beggar.
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

5840 days, 15 hours, 28 minutes and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 at 10:02 (GMT -5)

That's weird, I played some bards, probably the class I played the most at this point, and I don't remember this ever happened to me.

You should have already one pet or two with you when you met wererat. At this point the best option is to order one pet to kill the wererat, bu that's not alway possible. So the best is to already take care to have one pet close to you, switch sometimes with it in order to let it kills other stuff in your back, follow it if it escape and then switch to force it back into the melee. One best position is (H is a pet) :
rrr
rHr
r@r
###

Finally if your pet isn't close to you, use order to try get back a better position. During the time the pet(s) is killing you play music. And if you have 2 or 3 pets, you could even just play music and let pets do the job. Eventually if a pet is close to the wererat then order this pet to slay it.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/29/2008 at 10:04 (GMT -5) by Doalag]
FantomFang
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 at 00:02 (GMT -5)

Yea, but im of the school of "screw pets" =p
sorry, but i just don't enjoy using them in ADOM, just not my cup of tea I guess. The main reason i was playing a bard is for the nice class powers, heir gift, and random skillset.
Going for 2nd win
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

5840 days, 15 hours, 28 minutes and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 at 02:03 (GMT -5)

I don't say a pet you carry everywhere and protect at any price, but just some you tame once you met one or when one died. It's only for the beginning to avoid... dying against a poor wererat. :-p

But ok I see what you mean.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: