Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Opinion about Monks

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Sardaukar
Registered user

Last page view:

5629 days, 13 hours, 2 minutes and 3 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 at 03:40 (GMT -5)

I have horrible time keeping unarmed Monks alive, I usually play them heavily armed and armoured. In that sense they are lot more akin to Paladins than ADOM Paladins..nicer skillset too...:P

I have quite promising character going, Drakeling Monk, having elven chain mail, +10,+2 crystal shield etc. He had some dicey moments versus Keethrax but finally survived..lost some perception in process. I was lucky to find altar next to PC cavernous level..it is really easy to lure bunch of victims up to be sacced by standing on stairs. Had to wait until lvl 13 since I had already generated sucky Black Torc to get precrowning. Got impatient and sacced it too, which helped immensely with time..:D

Since I use ToGu patch (since I hate uberjackals almost as much as uberspiders), that randomizes precrowning stuff etc, I was precrowned with Boots of Divine Messenger, drats, I already have Teleport Control, though no 7LB yet and it gives nice resistances and bonus to Dex. Then I was crowned with acid immunity and Ring of Immunity. Now, that is *nice*.

Downside is that I have only found one spellbook so far, Magic Lock..really useful..:P Well, I'll see how this goes...

What I like Drakeling Monks is that they really only lack Herbalism. And that can be aquired, even though creating Black Torc makes possible precrowning to take 3 levels more. Alertness, Athletics, Concentration, Dodge, Find Weakness, Food Preservation, Music (for the pesky cats, found glockenspiel), Swimming etc. Even when losing DV bonus using shield (which makes it up nicely) or unarmed damage by being burdened, those skills make Armed and Armoured monk quite a killing machine and respectable spellcaster too. And Drakeling has that acid spit, very nice to use against karmic lizards etc. and to lower satiation when you just got that nice blessed ogre corpse. To add, Monks do not need as much food as other classes either.

Somehow I just cannot keep my Monks alive when I play them like..well Monks. But they tend to do very well when I play them as Paladins..go figure..:P
EmptyOne
Registered user

Last page view:

5409 days, 9 hours, 36 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 at 09:56 (GMT -5)

I like Drakling Monks too.

I primarily play them as true monks (bare-fist, light armor & unencumbered), but I make sure I train with a 1-handed weapon & shield and with bow/crossbow. There are some things you just don't want to touch.

Keethrax is seldom a problem for me as long as I have a glass amulet.

The skill set is great. My last DM was able to do the Bug temple at 20th level thanks to the Music skill and a blessed Glock. Just have the bugs kill each other.

Some guy
Registered user
I'm baaaack.

Last page view:

5602 days, 7 hours, 11 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 at 11:43 (GMT -5)

Ah, drakeling monks - good choice. I've won with a drakeling monk, and played him as a true monk for the entire duration, ultimately getting grand mastery in unarmed combat. I only had a handful of marks in other skills, which I got purely by accident.

Here are some things I would suggest for playing as a true monk:
1. As you're already more-or-less unarmored in the early game, take that one step further, and go true berserking. This is actually a very useful tactic for all weak starting classes. Even wizards can kill every early monster in one hit if you take their robe off and hit F1. This sounds dangerous but it's life-saving, trust me.
2. Training other melee weapon skills is unnecessary - my monk was immensely powerful barehanded. Missile skills, however, are crucial. Make an effort to train bows and crossbows with all your spare ammo. Hopefully you'll also find some offensive magic that you can use for backup. The more versatile that any character is, the better.
3. Even though you won't be wearing heavy armour, and even though you don't have the mining skill, buy smithing from Glod. Why? Because later, you can kick walls down in one hit, which gives you ore. This is better than 100 mining and Hammerhead. Take advantage of this, and make some great helmets, bracers, etc.
4. Take advantage of rings of weakness if you can. Drakeling acid makes this extremely easy to do.

Oh, and the black torc isn't as bad as people think it is. "Cursed" is a pretty mild effect, and I'd say that the torc's other effects make up for it in the early game. Also, if only one artifact has been generated, you can be precrowned at 11.
The following is a real Adom message:

The homunculus hits you. You suddenly fall asleep! Do you want to continue to read the spellbook of Calm Monster? [y/N]

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 4/9/2008 at 11:44 (GMT -5) by Some guy]
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5663 days, 3 hours, 33 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 at 12:30 (GMT -5)

Good tips otherwise but... monks don't get true berserking bonus :) Try it out, start one, then look at your to-hit and damage while berserk when you wear those +0, +0 sandals and barefooted.

Oh and take off that robe too.

Also, don't quote me on this, but I think that the black torc is only generated when you actually kill the keethrax guy... So if you want to get precrowned at lvl 8 don't kill him before that. Which means, clear the PC or stuff like that beforehand. You might want to visit DD:7 to generate the level and Keethrax, as supposedly he's more powerful if you generate the level with a higher level char. So do the same thing you do with the small cave and a lvl 1 char.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 4/9/2008 at 12:34 (GMT -5) by J.]
Sulangatori
Registered user
Tourist

Last page view:

1440 days, 14 hours, 4 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 at 12:44 (GMT -5)

I'm not sure if monks' kicking ability at lvl 13 is better than mining at 100. Still useful, though.

Monks' lvl 32 ability is reason enough to play a monk. The message you get after thwacking someone makes up for any hard work you've had reaching lvl 32.
Some guy
Registered user
I'm baaaack.

Last page view:

5602 days, 7 hours, 11 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 at 17:18 (GMT -5)

The kicking ability gets better as you level. In the upper levels it's phenomenal, and it might take that long to train smithing to 100 anyway.
The following is a real Adom message:

The homunculus hits you. You suddenly fall asleep! Do you want to continue to read the spellbook of Calm Monster? [y/N]
MrChaosMonk
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 at 17:26 (GMT -5)

I love monks, and have never used them with weapons - only their fists (of course, my monks are the ones that find the wicked foo's of devastation...)
I usually play human monks, although orchish monks are ok because you can sacc all those cool weapons that your god favours...
Portrait
GiantFrog
Registered user
another gray elven wizard

Last page view:

5434 days, 3 hours, 49 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 at 18:00 (GMT -5)

Hey, don't pooh-pooh Magic Lock! It has many awesome uses -

Lock kitty in the closet
Get some peace and quiet to read/regenerate
Creat a secure storage locker in Dwarfton

And so much more! Order now!
You pick up the worn boots.
Sardaukar
Registered user

Last page view:

5629 days, 13 hours, 2 minutes and 3 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 at 04:08 (GMT -5)

"Lock kitty in the closet
Get some peace and quiet to read/regenerate
Creat a secure storage locker in Dwarfton"

Well, no need to lock kitties...having decent Music and glockenspiel. :)

You do have a good points in other 2, tho :)
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4896 days, 10 hours, 56 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 at 06:07 (GMT -5)

After teleporting into the weapon room in
Darkforge, it is a great idea to magic lock the
door. The steel golem will often open the
door and ruin your raiding. Chances are, that
you would not have the proper key at that point
in the game. Triangle, I think.

Also, sometimes magic lock is useful when
pacifying the big room of the CoC.

It can also save your life, if you are running
for your life from a monster. Sometimes you
will pass a door, and begin the 'open and shut'
game with the monster. Hoping the monster will
not open the door on the turn it was shut,
thus gaining you an extra step. Well, with
the magic lock spell, you not only gain a
step, you gain complete safety. I have done
that with revenants twice.

Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4067 days, 9 hours, 21 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 at 10:17 (GMT -5)

Damn, that reminds me of my Druid guide... Still have to finish the section on spells...
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: