Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Stupid Librarian!

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
GiantFrog
Registered user
another gray elven wizard

Last page view:

5425 days, 13 hours, 24 minutes and 35 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 at 19:41 (GMT -5)

This has happened to me twice now: I get to the library and check the number of game turns while still standing on the up staircase. My stealth skill is at 100. I kill the monsters, collect all the books, and then read until the turn counter is 2,000 turns beyond where it was when I got there. I approach the librarian and chat with him, and he says, "Psst!".

What the heck? I was wearing 7LBs both times, does that mean that my turns were too short in duration to count? Is the guidebook wrong about the 2,000 turn requirement? I definitely didn't chat that entire time, until addressing the librarian.
You pick up the worn boots.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4229 days, 18 hours, 14 minutes and 13 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 at 20:34 (GMT -5)

Strange... Wait again for 3000 turns and see if he'll let you have the tome.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Worst Player... ever
Registered user

Last page view:

4682 days, 18 hours, 6 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 at 22:01 (GMT -5)

That recently happened to me, too!

One thing that was different is that he'd moved a few squares and was slightly injured. So he was probably attacked by a random monster, killed it, but it screwed up the turn counter.
Portrait
GiantFrog
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 at 22:07 (GMT -5)

In my case, he was still standing in the corner. I didn't think to check his wound status, so maybe if he gets in a fight, the turn counter resets. It's too late for my current character, but next time I'm going to try locking both of the doors so no errant kobold comes along and scratches him.
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5654 days, 13 hours, 8 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 at 09:06 (GMT -5)

It might be that the turn counter thing is something like 40d100, which averages to 2000, so that sometimes you have to wait a little longer. I don't know.

Also, stealth is a skill marked with a [+] in the manual, so with stealth 100 you get three attempts at a skill check and the best one is chosen, but there might still be a small chance to screw it up, so maybe the book just isn't always guaranteed after 2000 turns if you get unlucky and fail a stealth check somewhere or something.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Some guy
Registered user
I'm baaaack.

Last page view:

5593 days, 16 hours and 46 minutes ago.
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 at 15:20 (GMT -5)

I've never had this problem - usually when I can't get the tome, it's definitely my fault for some reason or other.

If you think that the turn counter is reset by wounding, you could always build a wall of locked doors around him. I haven't tried this before but it seems like a good idea.
The following is a real Adom message:

The homunculus hits you. You suddenly fall asleep! Do you want to continue to read the spellbook of Calm Monster? [y/N]
Portrait
GiantFrog
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 at 17:46 (GMT -5)

That's a good idea. It seems that the "wandering monsters" in the library are fairly basic types, so there probably wouldn't be much chance of the doors getting smashed by an ancient dragon or something.
Timpen
Registered user
za za zaa za zaa

Last page view:

5761 days, 19 hours, 53 minutes and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 at 05:00 (GMT -5)

I've noticed the same thing. I waited for 3500 turns (read some spellbooks) and he just told me "psst!" when we chatted to after that. So I got pissed and skipped the book.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4058 days, 18 hours, 56 minutes and 23 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 at 09:01 (GMT -5)

Happened to me too. Annoyed the hell out of me, especially after I went through excruciating effort to train Stealth to 100 in the Rift Dungeon before I entered the Library.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Timpen
Registered user
za za zaa za zaa

Last page view:

5761 days, 19 hours, 53 minutes and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 at 09:21 (GMT -5)

I trained stealth and climbing to 100 before entering the rift at all because my initial purpose of the whole trip was getting some socr. Sometimes adom just do things that can't be explained. That same char pacified big room but the herbs _never_ changed life cycle. They just stood there in T-shape not doing anything.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Portrait
GiantFrog
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 at 14:12 (GMT -5)

J. said:

"...with stealth 100 you get three attempts at a skill check and the best one is chosen, but there might still be a small chance to screw it up..."

This sounds to me like the most plausible, if maddening, explanation. If true, you'd never know for sure when or if you've qualified.
hilter
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 at 04:33 (GMT -5)

Maybe you just have to īcīhat with him again. Sometimes you have to do it several times.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: