Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / New person :P

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 2 pages long.
Go to page 1 2
Kingsdragon
Registered user
You smelt it you dealt it!

Last page view:

5769 days, 14 hours, 53 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 at 05:07 (GMT -5)

Hey I just signed up to this forum cause I'm a avid player of ADOM, I play i without cheating. I usually play as a Grey Elf Wizard, but I seem to die sooner or later (usually sooner)and wanted to know if anyone had any hints as to keeping him alive?
Atm I'm playing a Dwarf Beastfighter, lvl 21 (Man it's so hard to lvl up... next time I do beastfighter I think I'll play gnomish :|) with invisible intristic and control teleportation with a bunch of other stuff (pools are cool...) and was wondering if anyone knew the best armour for him?
Also I don't know any of the abbreviations people use here...
Behind every successful man is a woman, behind her is his wife XD
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4067 days, 8 hours, 55 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 at 06:19 (GMT -5)

First of all, welcome to this forum!

Best armour? Well, beastfighters can wear anything, so the best armor in theory is probably Nature's Companion because of the immunities and the speed... Let's get real, though.

Since you have the power of controlled teleportation at your side, provided the possession of some means of item detection or magic mapping it would be no problem for you to check out the nice stashes of armour over at Darkforge. Just get in, detect items or read the magic mapping scroll, and teleport yourself into the room with all the armour. There's a good chance of you finding dragon scale mail there. Oh, and if you find leather armor weighing exactly 120 stones, get it, greater identify it, love it!

Even without item detection or magic mapping, you should be capable of defeating the steel golems somehow... Beastfighters tend to be real powerful in melee. Be real careful though, they can hit hard. You should have 150 HP before you try to fight them.

Darkforge, in case you didn't already know, is the second level of the dungeon you get to by going through the "non-descript tunnel" south to the centor of the Drakalor chain. You know you've found the right one if you are attacked by a steel golem.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Kingsdragon
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 at 07:42 (GMT -5)

I have White dragon scale mail and 320HP I also have a wand of wishing 1 charge left (used the other three) Yea I just visited dark forge, got the Crown of Science and sacrificed it to my Deity just now, since I'm a champion of law i'm reluctant to do the quests the Dwarf in there assigns. I am wonder as to how I'm supposed to get into the stairs in the darkforge, they are blocked by some fire spirit of some kind.
I just found out by reading something that I need the Bridge Building manual to add points to the skill :S somewhere early in the game it got ruined by some water :S:S

Timpen
Registered user
za za zaa za zaa

Last page view:

5770 days, 9 hours, 52 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 at 08:22 (GMT -5)

You cannot get into the stairs there until you have gone up from the caverns of chaos to darkforge (a shortcut).

The bridge building skill is not really needed since you can create ice bridges with wands of cold, frost bolt or ice ball spell. Remember however that they can only hold 2000s of weight.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5140 days, 14 hours, 7 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 at 08:34 (GMT -5)

Your bridge building skill will also improve with use. If you have some sort of water near to some sort of logs, you can use a HATCHET (this is essential along with the logs) to try it out.

Trees can be gotten from the wilderness, or you can slay some tree-like creatures in the main cavern. With a skill of 10-20 you might fail 10 times without building a single bridge. But at least the skill will auto-improve after a while. Logs are heavy, so you can't carry 50 logs into the "bad place" where you need them, so best to train up somewhere else first.

Or use a wand of cold (beastfighter will probably never be able to use spells)

Grey elf wizard: Stay in the changing dungeon (SE of teinyo) until you have enough spells. You need a lot of attack spells, and several of the other spells. Start at level 1-2, then go down to 8-9 when you are able. If you survive this, you will be level 15, and have many options due to all the potentially useful spells.

(Teleport - escape, or teleport away monsters)
(Knock - never fear door traps again)
(Invisibility - escape, sneak past toughies, stay invis and use bolt-spells)
(Strength of atlas - carry all you want with you)
(Lightning ball - make short work of steel golems)

etc.

For attack spells:
Magic missile will work on anything, you should get 1-2 spellbooks of this, and keep training it.
Ball spells never get shrugged, although some monsters resist them.
Burning hands is a single-monster fire-attack, not shruggable although it can be resisted. Great vs. undead.

In general:
* Get 1-2 levels
* Get basic gear
* Get levels and spellbooks in the ID. Eating a blink dog corpse is also good
* Play the game. Find _herbs_
* Spend time harvesting and eating the all-important morgia root.
* When willpower and toughness are 25, proceed.
* Win the game.
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 at 09:11 (GMT -5)

Agree with Molach. If you must keep a gray elven wizard alive at all costs, heavily using the ID is the way to do it. Winning with a gray elven wizard without ever visiting the ID is probably a challange one should try when he's won the game.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
Kingsdragon
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 at 10:56 (GMT -5)

Yea, I know when I played with a Dark Elf that the ID is good for spell books, I heard not to go past lvl 5 though cause it's not corruption free?
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4896 days, 10 hours, 30 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 at 12:22 (GMT -5)

ID is corruption free, up until level 10.

I have actually written a wizard's guide. You
can probably find it with a google search.

About beastfighters, they have high speed, and
that hinders your exp. point gains. High speed
is a blessing and a curse, it is powerful, but
really hurts your level ups. I think being
invisible, halves the experience points you get
from killing other monsters. If so, you are
definitely going to have leveling problems later.

You can lower your speed a bit, by becoming
bloated and burdened. The invisibility can only
be permenantly removed by drinking from a pool,
so you might not want to do that. If you find
yourself in sore need of exp. points, later in
the game, do NOT wish for 'emperor moloch'. That
is a good way to get killed. Consider stairhopping
in the ID, try level ~30, and listen for threat
rooms to clear.

Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4238 days, 8 hours, 13 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 at 14:07 (GMT -5)

Welcome to the forums! I'd second gut's guide to wizards - you can find it in Silfir's sig (along with guides to a few other classes).

I don't think I've ever played beastfighters properly, so I can't give a huge amount of specific advice. But in general you should now be thinking of completing the Tower of Eternal Flames in the not too distant future. You certainly have enough HP for the task. How much fire resistance do you have though? And what's your offense like? Any fireproof blankets and rings of ice? And what about healing potions or spenseweed? Things to consider for the future if you're not prepared already.

But first of all you'll want to get the Ring of the High Kings from the the lake of chaos pirahnas. You need a wand of cold for that, and don't step on the ice if you are carrying more than 2000s (check the @ screen for your current carrying amount beforehand). The guardian there isn't too tough, but he can confuse - I recommend 'a'pplying first aid on coward tactics until it wears off if that happens.

Don't do the evil dwarf's quests - bad things will happen. They're only for chaotic people to take on (and most of them don't bother either - the rewards ain't spectacular unless you have a love of corruption). The stairs in DarkForge will be unblocked once you come up from the other side of them (and you need the high kings ring and the fire orb to get that far).

Have you been to Khelevaster or the Water Temple yet? If you've not seen or saved the dying sage yet then you'd be well-advised to spend a wish on an amulet of life-saving to give him. The Water Temple shouldn't be much trouble, but you might want to use Darkness on the Snake to be safe.

If there's an acronyms you don't understand then go ahead and ask - we do use a lot, I must admit.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
mozzyy
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 at 16:07 (GMT -5)

yeah weaker characters should go to the IDungeon. Stay there until you get a good main attack, a backup, and a large shield. if the puppy cave has a mixed monster vault in it then wait until you've got 30/10 dv/pv and a good heal spell. lightning lizzard really pack a punch. 25/5 is ok for starters, just make sure you equip a spear as soon as possible. make a trap with a wand if you have to and put tactics to coward then hit cntrl+t to trigger the trap.

magic missle will be one of your most usefull spells for clearing rooms, it won't destroy items ever. save frost bolt for the flaming tower in the west.

don't kill keethrax unless you have a good light source and burning hands or other ball spell. you can bolt him but it's harder.

look for 15s girdles, they're great for weak characters. always check the outlaw town to see if he has scrolls of identify there. if not, wait until you have 3 types of unid' scrolls in your backpack with the same name. then try the one with the least amount first. it will be either identify or uncursing the most common two types.
mozzyy
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 at 16:11 (GMT -5)

oh one more thing...when hyou're about to die. which is probably pretty often. just stop everything and look at your entire inventory. i can't tell you how many times i could've lived if i had just waited. no game turns pass from looking at and exiting your inventory.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 at 17:38 (GMT -5)

And when your about to die remember prayer - it's often the one thing I forget about. Teleportation, Darkness and Invisibility are often the other good get out of jail free cards, if available.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 at 22:03 (GMT -5)

> don't kill keethrax unless you have a good
> light source and burning hands

I thought Keethrax resisted fire.

Kingsdragon
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 06:48 (GMT -5)

Hey guys thanks for all the help, muchas gracias :)

Alright,
@Darren Grey
I'm reading your site now, looks hellaluva helpfull... I have fire resistance, no fire risistance rings though, but I'll go hunting for them.
I used my wand (wished for literacy) up so I'll go and get a wish from a pool, got a heap of them here :S risky I know, but I seem to have luck with pools, have so far anyway.
My attack is around 22 I think not sure.
Yes, I have saved him, used a wish for the life saving amulet, dropped a lot of cool stuff :) I may have to read one of the scrolls of remove corruption though for the wand thingy, cause I have that corruption "Living mana battery" and no I haven't been to the water temple. I think, I don't remember rightly, but I think there is another stair blocked by... a portal? something like that. I don't know how to get past it yet..

@Mozzyy

I have got a whole heap of shields but wearing a shield and being a beastfighter don't mix :)
And I have a girdle of giant strength ( thought "bulky girdle" was a eye opener...) And thanks for the tip :)
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 09:00 (GMT -5)

> I used my wand (wished for literacy)

Literacy is also obtainable from a dark
sage corpse, and completing the first
dwarven quest. If you haven't chatted
with the ancient dwarf about 'gate' and
'quest', then you should do so. Completing
the 'gate' quest opens the dwarven portal.

Kingsdragon
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 09:03 (GMT -5)

I think I done that, put holy water on a dwarfs grave or something, maybe it was another one that was blocked, eating a dark sage made it "It suddenly gets much harder to think" or something like that before so I haven't done it since.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 11:28 (GMT -5)

Hmm, I always say portal instead of gate... Ah well, chat with the old dwarf about gate or portal again and he'd open up the lower depths of the CoC for you. The water temple is on a level where you can only normally explore half the dungeon area, and you have to use digging to get into the other side.

Don't play around with pools unless you actually have something you want to wish for. You've had your luck already with a wand of wishing - don't push it :P
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 17:20 (GMT -5)

> Hmm, I always say portal instead of gate

I used to, but 'gate' has fewer letters than
'portal'. Of course, some may say that the time
you actually save, by typing the two fewer
letters is minimal. However, I think it is
worthwhile, to type in as few letters as is
possible, to accomplish any particular task.

Typing more letters than is needed, to get the
job done, can be a real waste of time. My
theory is, that if you can save the 0.4
seconds, by typing in two fewer letters, then
you definitely should save the 0.4 seconds by
typing in the two fewer letters. I mean, who
wants to type in more letters than they
absolutely have to type?

Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 18:13 (GMT -5)

Yes.
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 19:03 (GMT -5)

Are you kidding me? My guides are all about saying entirely too much to point out a very simple fact.

Like the Guide to being a Druid. I could write "Play a Priest instead" and be done with it. But noooo, I've written 219 kilobytes of inane drivel.

(Expect an update after I've gotten some sleep.)
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 23:34 (GMT -5)

> I've written 219 kilobytes of inane drivel.

That's not a guide, that's a novel!
I'm going to try typing up a few KB's on a
troll guide pretty soon. It will take a lot
of testing though, due to it being a 'race'
based guide, instead of a class based guide.
It won't be finished soon.

I also plan to zip through the game, once as
a melee troll, and once as a spellcasting
troll. That should refresh my memories a bit,
for each play style. I will probably write
the guide with two distinct sections, for
melee and spellcasters. It will be easier
(but maybe less informative) than giving
advice for each class respectively.

Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 at 05:49 (GMT -5)

Excellent. Maybe we'll actually manage to get more new stuff in 2008 than we had in 2007 :)
Kingsdragon
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 at 06:21 (GMT -5)

>I also plan to zip through the game, once as
a melee troll, and once as a spellcasting
troll.

Not only is leveling up going to be a horror for you but your spellcasting troll is gonna have a hellaluva of a hard time :S
Portrait
zv
Registered user

Last page view:

5659 days, 8 hours, 28 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 at 06:34 (GMT -5)

Guide to melee trolls : take the heaviest weapon you can find and carry and bash things with it.
Guide to spellcaster trolls : take the heaviest weapon you can find (Strength of Atlas!) and bash things with. You can also lighten up dark rooms.
Kingsdragon
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 at 06:41 (GMT -5)

I'm playing with the idea of a gnomish paladin/fighter.... I defenitly want to play a gnomish something as I haven't tried that race before.
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 at 08:10 (GMT -5)

zv: The fact that you can DARKEN rooms with a spellcaster troll should be seen as the crucial advantage!
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5663 days, 3 hours, 7 minutes and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 at 11:59 (GMT -5)

With the abbreviations, ! or ? or \ and such refer to the items, so they're potions, scrolls and wands..

SoCR, scrolls of chaos resistance(?oCR)
PoCC, potion of cure corruption(!oCC)
PoGA, potion of gain attributes
WoWi, wand of wishing("Wowwaweewa! Very nice! I like.")
WoD, wand of destruction
GoGS, girdle of giant strength
7lb, SLB, seven league boots
RDSM, red dragon scale mail
RoDS, ring of djinni summoning
RoHK/RotHK, ring of the high kings
AoLS, amulet of life saving

Maybe there's a more thorough list somewhere that I don't know about..

Did you use up all the charges from your wand of wishing? Did you try zapping it after it was empty, with 0 charges? Something might happen if you do that.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 at 12:17 (GMT -5)

There's a more thorough list in the guidebook, but that's most of the most important ones.
Kingsdragon
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 at 05:16 (GMT -5)

Argh, can't get past the stair blocked with fire *cross look*
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3116 days, 3 hours, 42 minutes and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 at 05:28 (GMT -5)

Get the fire orb.
Khelevaster, the sage, told you where it is (Fire tower in the wilderness). Remember to protect yourself and everything you own from fire.

A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
Go to page 1 2

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: