Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Monk Guide

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Hilter
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 12:38 (GMT -5)

Molachs guide to monk victory states, that a monk finding an eternium twohanded sword of devastation should not use it, but this is completely wrong. A monk does not get a real penalty for using weapons - only penalty to DV if wearing shields or torso armour and penalty to unarmed damage and DV if being encumbered.

In fact, I have completed the game with both weaponusing monks and unarmed ones.

Monks are really the only class who should use twohanded weapons and dual wielding, since they get extra DV as they gain levels because of their class.

Ofcourse, only great eternium twohanded swords and needle and sting or maybe phasedaggers etc will be better than the unarmed attack in terms of average damage, when the monk reaches level 50.
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5135 days, 14 hours, 1 minute and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 at 06:36 (GMT -5)

Good input, thanks.

The guide is ready for an update. I'll move the paragraph about finding that sword as bad to the beastfighters' guide. It was not meant as a bad thing, just that ...they don't need it as much as other classes. Because they can hold their own anyway. All players will be overjoyed, monks will be very pleased, and beastfighters should be furious. So yeah, it belongs there.

The 3 playing styles (ninja, martial artist and grand mystic) will cover weapon-using, weaponless and magic-using playing styles. I will definately add your point about using two-handers and keeping DV high from their natural bonus to compensate for lack of shield.
Kingsdragon
Registered user
You smelt it you dealt it!

Last page view:

5764 days, 14 hours, 47 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 at 06:38 (GMT -5)

I haven't actually played a monk before, I'll put that on my list, how does a gnomish monk sound Molach?
Behind every successful man is a woman, behind her is his wife XD
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4062 days, 8 hours, 49 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 at 08:09 (GMT -5)

Gnomish monks sound very good actually, if you plan on using spells. Ventriloquism can also come in useful if you train it a lot.

Oh, but you were asking Molach. My mistake ;)
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5135 days, 14 hours, 1 minute and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 at 13:52 (GMT -5)

And he quoteth:
"Gnome
Skills: Gemology, Mining, Pick pockets, Ventriloquism
Starting attributes: Lower St, Higher mana.
Level up: Fast

Discussion: Gemology means that you can kick walls for unlimited gems once you reach level 13, for example in the ID. This will take care of any money problem as well as giving important gems of health, power, fire and knowledge. Knowledge in particular are good, as they allow Gnomes to become excellent magic-users once they find some books. Ventriloquism combined with high running speed will also make the gnome monk safer. Fast level up is nice, and the free talent will give some flexibility to the early game, making it easier. A very solid choice for monk, if only a little weak in the very early game."

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 5/2/2008 at 14:09 (GMT -5) by Molach]

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: