Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / What class/race combo....

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Hallowed
Registered user

Last page view:

5089 days, 2 hours, 31 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 03:29 (GMT -5)

do you think is the most difficult? Or the most difficult you've ever played? I just started up a dark elf merchant NOT born under Candle....my god are they terrible to start LoL. Worst.healing.rate.ever. Starts with a 1d4 dagger....ZERO DV/PV equipment. Terrible skills. The only useful skills to a beginning character is Find Weakness and Herbalism. And need i get into how 100% useless their class powers are with the exception of level 12? Easily the worst character i've played. Lets see if i can manage a win with it!
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4211 days, 19 hours, 27 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 05:02 (GMT -5)

They're pretty deadly with coin-throwing though, especially with high dex and Find Weakness. I reckon farmers are worse, and grey elves much weaker than dark elves (due to worse skills - though their regen is still higher). Still, any character can manage a win - just stay on VD1&2 till they're level 10, and proceed through the rest of the game cautiously (only taking on enemies when you think you could have handled them 3 levels ago). Mind you, that doesn't make them fun to play - farmers are so horribly bland to play even in late game, since they just never seem to get powerful, with HP on the order of wizards and PP on the order of fighters.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4040 days, 20 hours, 9 minutes and 32 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 06:56 (GMT -5)

Grey elves don't get fucked over by shopkeepers though.

I'll agree with Darren Grey, though I'd like to expand on his notion that farmers are horribly bland - they are extremely, terrifyingly bland beyond recognition. Even playing a dust bunny or a stuffed olive would be more exciting than playing a farmer.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Portrait
Maul
Registered user
[banned user]

Last page view:

4900 days, 19 hours, 53 minutes and 6 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 09:18 (GMT -5)

I don't see a problem with farmers. I find a decent spear and then everything solves itself. The only problems are: unavoidable death and me being too chicken to check out any of the "mid-game" places (Griff's graveyard, Pyramid etc.)
1l= Y0(_) [4l\l R34[) 7l-l15, Y0(_) l\/l(_)57 83 PR377Y G00[).
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4869 days, 21 hours, 44 minutes and 18 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 13:56 (GMT -5)

Actually, dark elven merchants are probably the best choice
for the 'fling the bling' challenge. They get find weakness,
high De, and a nice long life span. If you use certain
tactics, it can make the early game a lot easier.

You can kill the old barbarian with an exp. level 1 dark
elven merchant. Just stand behind the water, and he won't
be able to get to you. Also, kill Yergius, even though this
means that you will have to do without the detect traps
skill. It's probably worth it for the fifty percent discount,
because as a merchant, the Black Market will give you very
good prices. Killing Hotz and gang should give you enough
cash to get powered up a bit at the BM.

You can even kill the Mad Minstrel with the right tactics,
but that is a bit trickier. He also can give SoCR's later,
so you might want to keep him alive : )

Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!
Portrait
Maul
Registered user
[banned user]

Last page view:

4900 days, 19 hours, 53 minutes and 6 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 17:02 (GMT -5)

"You can kill the old barbarian with an exp. level 1 dark
elven merchant."

I was like "What!"

"Just stand behind the water, and he won't
be able to get to you."

Then I was like "Oh."

Detect traps, I'd say you should make sure you have a wand of trap detection available. IMO you NEED some kind of trap detection at some point in the game - whatever you do, you will have to get through Nuurag-Vaarn's. Anyways, I don't rely on the BM... stuff is pricey there no matter what, the discounts come only at level 6 onwards (at level 6 you should be able to survive the basics, which makes BM just a bit less important) and member of the thieves guild is still a discount.
1l= Y0(_) [4l\l R34[) 7l-l15, Y0(_) l\/l(_)57 83 PR377Y G00[).
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4869 days, 21 hours, 44 minutes and 18 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 19:55 (GMT -5)

> I don't rely on the BM... stuff is pricey there
> no matter what

Sometimes the items aren't very good, and the ones
that are can definitely be expensive. The best
deals are inexpensive items, that have great
modifiers. Like orcish helmets [+2, +3], gloves
[+0, +2], or something like that. Also, the potion
prices are acceptable, considering that a single
potion of healing/invisibility/cure poison can
save your life.

I agree about the merchant class power of shop
discounts, they are horrible.

Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5636 days, 14 hours, 21 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 at 13:30 (GMT -5)

Farmers get gardening and herbs right? So on VD:1 you get St:18 and Wi/Dx/To:25? Tons of money selling herbs to the shops in the two towns and buying out the black market? Not too bad, but boring, as others have said.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5114 days, 1 hour, 21 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 at 10:58 (GMT -5)

I just tried a little farmer-ing. I found it hard to get a lot of herbs going in the early dungeon. They start with random armount of herbs, I had one start with 3 which is not enough. Also, it might be best to gain a level.(put skill in "gardening", of course..)

I did some testing, and generated farmers who started with 3, 3, 3, 4, 5, 6, 6 and 6 herbs. At start gardening skill was 21-45, and would give around 50% chance of growth (it felt less for low skill of course, but did not quantify this, too little sample). Gaining one level would ensure herbalism skill 35-50, still only 50%-60% chance of planting. Characters with 6 seeds can start planting early, but the others need to wait. I had one char with 5 seeds and 46 skill, only managed one successful planting.

I agree if it works then the character is set. I would recommend doing it on the bottom (normally) reachable row in the VD - that will give morgia and pepper petals. Morgia will build To (and Wi, heh) to 26 or so, which gives you 3 PV and plenty hitpoints. Petal for healing while you get the skills.

However, I tried to plant regualar plant seeds, and that did not have any effect (on the gardening skill training, I know they will produce nothing). I tested with two identical chars, one just levelled up, the other planted about 60 plant seeds, the first could train Gardening to 60, the other to 56...And planting herb seeds appears to have little effect. One char planted 3 seeds, could train to 56, 56, 59. Planting nothing and he could train to 56, 53, 54. Herb seeds being so rare, it is not a good way to waste them.

If you start with 5-6 herb seeds,it is not hard to level up to 4-5 on first-second level of Village Dungeon, which should take gardening to level 60 or more. One way to do this, if you start with 0 PV is to just remove the useless armor and go to berserk mode (true berserking) which should be enough to one-hit kill any enemies in that early game. An other way I just though of, is to use survival to generate thousands of plant seeds, sell them in terinyo food shop, and buy some basic stuff in the black market. You'd only need to get there, but using the big dog to block for you, staying in coward, and remembering that 1/3 healther = almost uncursed 7league boots should get you there.

It is not THAT time-consuming to start do this, and it obviously makes the early farmer game pretty easy. You waste time, and level-up skill increases (on a skill which is useless after you have done this).

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 5/26/2008 at 11:02 (GMT -5) by Molach]
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 08:02 (GMT -5)

If you get three seeds you still have a pretty good chance to do it, after all you only need the L-shape. Gardening needs to be at least 80 then though, because it's a [+] skill. and that level provides much improved chances. Gnomes are good because they have okay Learning and quick level increases. A starsign with extra skill increases is also excellent. Level 6 should be enough to ensure a decent Gardening skill.

I don't think the "waste" of skill increases is that much of an issue. Most of the farmer skills are craptastic, and pale in comparison to early pepper petals plus morgia.

I agree with Molach - True berserking rockthrowing by a hurthling should provide EXCELLENT chances. Drakling acid spit is also very nice.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 5/27/2008 at 08:05 (GMT -5) by Silfir]
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5114 days, 1 hour, 21 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 07:32 (GMT -5)

I don't think rockthrowing is affected by true berserking. I really don't. In fact, I just tested it. And it doesn't. Too bad. But you need to find some rocks first...so a starting hurthling uses true berserking to do that.

To sum up my great little test: True berserking (attacking in berserk mode when not wearing on body, about body, headgear, footwear, handwear nor a girdle or bracers) gives you +9 to hit and +6 to damage in melee. Missile attacks do not receive benefits other than normal bonus from regular berserk mode. This (flat) gain is very good for starting weak characters with weak weapons, and of course becomes relatively less useful as the game progresses.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 5/28/2008 at 07:34 (GMT -5) by Molach]
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 10:08 (GMT -5)

Okay, then just berserking rockthrowing. Awesome enough.
jeremiah
Registered user

Last page view:

5679 days, 10 hours, 13 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 at 03:57 (GMT -5)

Low levels are very easy for a darkling farmer. x2 trained food preservation lets you spit as much as you want. Also with sword sign and a spear taking out the stat/age draining undead is easy. Just switch tactics to coward hide behind your spear and spit. You can also spit on karmic lizards with no ill effects.
"THE TH TALENT SUCKS!!!!!!" - Gut

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 8/21/2008 at 03:57 (GMT -5) by jeremiah]

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: