Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Ahh

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Kingsdragon
Registered user
You smelt it you dealt it!

Last page view:

5769 days, 3 hours, 7 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 at 08:12 (GMT -5)

Time to start a new game after my last death, on lvl D:50 of all things :(
I'm thinking Paladin, but I've never gotten past lvl 18 with one, suggestions?
Behind every successful man is a woman, behind her is his wife XD
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4066 days, 21 hours, 9 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 at 08:55 (GMT -5)

Level 18 is already very good :)

I have a gray elven paladin victory under my belt, but I must admit I have a hard time remembering details, and it's the one victory flg I didn't save. Play them like you would play a fighter, I guess. I think they get Dodge and Athletics, so combine them with a dark elf to get a near-perfect melee starting skillset (Alertness! Athletics! Dodge! Find Weakness!) plus the option of decent spellcasting later on (the starsign Book really helps this, though overall you might find Raven or Candle still preferable). If you get a skillset of similar quality to the fighter's you have a "fighter plus okay divine spellcasting", at least with one of the more casting-oriented races.

EDIT: Me like - dark elves not only get the near-perfect skillset mentioned above, they also start with elven chain mail. Ditch one of the short swords and start looking for decent weaponry, including some sort of shield. Very much doable with Healing and five PV, even with only a short sword and less than stellar physical stats (Remember that you can train strength to decent amounts easily by walking around strained, and once you have Herbalism and found a morgia patch the low toughness is not an issue anymore).
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 5/26/2008 at 09:03 (GMT -5) by Silfir]
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4237 days, 20 hours, 27 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 at 14:18 (GMT -5)

For paladins stick to one-hander with shield and rely heavily on missiles too. Get your hands on plenty of slaying ammo for the big baddies, and hope for a decent melee weapon. Smithing is well-advised if you intend to do a lot of melee.

Also, you planning on taking part in the Weakest Link challenge on the adom.de forums? You have one day left.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 07:55 (GMT -5)

Bah. Smithing is for pussies. Can't believe you'd rather use that, or pick pockets, than wands of destruction.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5140 days, 2 hours, 21 minutes and 51 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 08:36 (GMT -5)

You could try to get an early crowning. The gifts aren't spectacular, but each one of them should see you through early game easily enough.

Paladins have very weak special powers, sadly. Becoming Lawful and getting +1/2DV per level against chaotics might be the best one. Cure disease can save a life, but still very weak. You have no fast-moving ability like monks, beasties, rangers and barbs get.

I really should give no advice, as I have never played one seriously. Somewhat strange, as I have been playing quite a few random characters over the time. Mabye the game just hates them so much that they are not picked when selecting a random class.

Looking some more, they do have concentration. If their (hidden) class-spellbook-reading ability is good, and their (hidden) find_spellbook_variable is somewhat high, they could become passable magi.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 5/27/2008 at 08:41 (GMT -5) by Molach]
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 09:10 (GMT -5)

Don't get your hopes up. They're pretty okay at learning spells, but they find spellbooks rarely. Support by spells is excellent, but the main way of dealing damage is weapons. That why an early crowning is excellent advice - there's a chance for Justifier, which gets an enormous boost for paladins.
Kingsdragon
Registered user
You smelt it you dealt it!

Last page view:

5769 days, 3 hours, 7 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 21:13 (GMT -5)

Thanks for all the info guys, he ended up dying when I got cornered by a greater Deamon,usually no problem but I didn't have much HP left. Playing a lvl 11 hurthling wizard, a combo I've never tried before, the lvling up is really good.
@darren gray, no sorry I don't have the time, as you have seen it takes me ages just to answer in this forum, I wanted to before though.
@Molach, I have found a max of 3 books with the other paladin before he died; Magic map, wish (stupid, would use thousands of PP) and ice bolt.
@Silfir, don't grey elevens come out Chaotic?
Behind every successful man is a woman, behind her is his wife XD
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 at 06:19 (GMT -5)

Grey elves are neutral.

Dark elves are chaotic, sure (I guess you confused my actual paladin victory with my suggestion). The ADOM paladins aren't D&D paladins, so there's no falling or lawful requirement. As a dark elven paladin, you start out a valiant fighter for the evil ideas of Lol'th, but you can convert to other deities just as easily, the only disadvantage being that you can't use your class powers until you have regained sufficient piety with your respective god.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4237 days, 20 hours, 27 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 at 06:36 (GMT -5)

And everyone knows what awesome class powers paladins have...
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: