Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Hopeful Trollish Thief

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Lost In Place
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 at 08:50 (GMT -5)

Having never won legitimately, I've recently been trying to play characters very safely (which goes against my impatient nature regarding game movement). However, in order not to be overly mundane, I thought it might be interesting to play a Trollish Thief (the mental image of a 8ft tall dimwitted klutz attempting to sneak his way into a goblin's pockets was just too good to pass up).

Thus far Crash (said troll) has done amazingly well, saving Kenny and picking up 7LB on PC:2, at some point finding BoW and a RoDS (I discovered them in my inventory at random), as well as watching in delight as an orc dropped an anvil. I spent the wish on rings of weakness (since I am not above [legal] scumming, I figured, why not?). However, I was unfortunate enough to meet a cat in the Arena AND miss it with my potions (failing to turn it into a WMoPC).

Now I am wondering about several things. Since I expect this to be my first victory, I plan on I creating a gremlin bomb and going Stone Giant hunting. I figure I should do the latter first (since my character is only L11 and probably can't take on Turtle dragons), but I don't know when the giants start roaming the mountains. Does anyone know (roughly) the level when they first begin to appear?

As for the gremlin bomb, how exactly does one set it up?

Also, any other advice would be greatly appreciated.
Portrait
Elraz
Registered user

Last page view:

5091 days, 21 hours, 22 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 at 11:09 (GMT -5)

As far as the gremlin bomb goes, you need to create a water bomb on CoC 8 and than deep fluff ball in a regular eater potion. this SHOULD create a gremlin or two, and if they`ll step on your water trap, they will begin to multiply.
When you start to pickpocket them, make sure you stand far enough so you wont kill all of them.
I think you can get a lone stone giant since you reach lev 10, so go and hunt yourself some.
Don`y go Blup`s mom yet, just keep going down on CoC or even scum the ID for coll stuff.
Trollish Thief is very annoying combo since you`ll get you best class power only on lev 32, and by the time you`ll get it with a troll, you will be at the mana temple or so.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4232 days, 4 hours, 31 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 at 11:31 (GMT -5)

Stone giants appear in the wilderness after level 12. If you have a pick axe then you can find them by digging up walls.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4061 days, 5 hours, 13 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 at 09:38 (GMT -5)

If you don't want to waste that potion of water, just wield the fluff ball and activate the trap using Ctrl + t while standing on it.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Lost In Place
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 at 09:50 (GMT -5)

Would it be better for me to dive to ID:8 and use the fluff ball there? (that way I don't have to worry about generating super-experienced gremlins)
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 at 11:24 (GMT -5)

Nope, RoDSes aren't generated until ID24. You can create alarm traps so the gremlins just kill each other and you pickpocket them to hell.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Sulangatori
Registered user
Tourist

Last page view:

1434 days, 9 hours, 55 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 at 13:51 (GMT -5)

Is danger level the same for items and monsters?

For monsters, at least, doesn't the danger level in the ID change with your own levels, or am I lost here?

I seem to remember running into an ogre king on ID:3 with a fairly high-level character.
Lost In Place
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 at 13:55 (GMT -5)

I've never seen that sort of happening (except for OOD monsters). The only dungeon I know that functions in that way is SMC.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 at 14:17 (GMT -5)

Danger level of monsters is the normal dungeon level, or if you're high enough level linked to that. In all dungeons you can get out of depth monsters if you're a high level - I've bumped into a moloch on D7 for instance.
Lost In Place
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 at 09:40 (GMT -5)

And...Crash is dead. I got sick of sitting around trying to level up and decided to rob Blurp's mom. I almost pulled it off too, but she ran away and then hit me from 167 (full) to -274 with her water breath when I chased after her (I'd been trying to stab her to death in the dark with Serpent's Tail, which I also pick pocketed).

Oh well, time to start a new thief character. I think I'll go Hurthling or Gnome.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 at 11:03 (GMT -5)

You mean Serpent's Bite? Can't pickpocket that... Learn your lesson well from that experience, since it's extremely difficult to kill her at low levels (or even high ones). She could have easily berserked on you in darkness at any time.
Lost In Place
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 at 11:54 (GMT -5)

Yeah, sorry, Serpent's Bite (note to self: Serpent's Bite is ADOM, Serpent's Tail is Xiaolin Showdown).

I don't recall any 'surge of power' messages, but maybe I did find it the old fashioned way and simply wasn't paying attention. Is it only 10 stones that one can pickpocket? I was guessing 15 stones.

Thanks for the notice about the blind rage; I expected that she'd simply run away if given the chance.
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4061 days, 5 hours, 13 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 at 12:17 (GMT -5)

Serpent's Bite has shown up randomly for me twice in my ADOM memory. The only other artifact I can think of that did that too is the black of tome of Arghnotagainus.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5656 days, 23 hours, 25 minutes and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 at 10:22 (GMT -5)

The water dragon cave is actully another place that can be used for the gremlin bomb. Just drop a fluff ball, the gremlins will start multiplying and drowning a lot at the same time, so pick pocket away! You don't even have to kill them, so the gremlins don't get über after 15000 kills. No, I've never killed that many. 4000 is probably my record..
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4890 days, 6 hours, 48 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 at 01:06 (GMT -5)

> She could have easily berserked on you in darkness at any time.

I'm going to write a guide on darkness. No monster will berserk
on you in the dark. They will only hit you, if they panic, and
have no escape route, or if THEY stand in a door square. Fight
your darkness battles in open areas, away from dead ends, and
narrow corridors. If you have your enemy poisoned enough, just
hang out for a while. I think repeated poisons work faster
than regen, but I suppose that depends on the regen, so I'm
not 100% sure on that.
Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 at 07:39 (GMT -5)

I've had the water dragon berserk on me in darkness whilst standing on the upstairs before. Was annoying because I tried to escape by going up the stairs but got the "not whilst under attack message", but that still used up a turn and she hit me again, killing a promising char. These days I never kill her till unless I'm extremely high level and want to loot her cave (darkness-looting is a bit cheap unless there's something special there).
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 at 08:23 (GMT -5)

I'm trying to figure out how that could be possible.
I've probably fought nearly as many darkness battles
as lighted, and I have never experienced berserking.

Theoretically it might be possible to shoot a missile
at a panicing monster, to make it follow you while
still in a state of panic. However, this means that
you would then have to lure it into or cast darkness
afterward.

If the dragon was panicing, why did it follow you
to the stairs? If it wasn't, then how could it
berserk?

J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5656 days, 23 hours, 25 minutes and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 at 15:19 (GMT -5)

The water dragon has attacked me too while I was standing on the upstairs and it was dark and she was panicking. There were gremlins around that I was pickpocketing, so it might have belonged to the category of "panicking in dark and nowhere else to go".

The dragon will teleport to you if you pick up something regardless of whether she is panicking or not, so that's one way to get her attention if she's running away. She also randomly teleports around when panicking I think, so it might have been just bad luck for Darren for her to end up next to his char just when he was about to leave.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 at 16:50 (GMT -5)

No, I deliberately picked up an item to get her to appear next to me. I did it on the stairs so I could escape to heal if need be - turned out I couldn't! Annoying thing is I could likely have moved a step away and then back and I would have been fine, but the physical act of trying to ascend wasted one fateful turn. And no, there were no monsters around, she could have easily escaped. Maybe it's something to do with picking something off the ground... Was a few years back though, so I don't remember the details fully.
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 at 08:07 (GMT -5)

Probably a special effect that only applies to the
momma dragon. The summoning tactic must have the same
effect as shooting a missile. It will cause a
panicing monster to fight instead of flee. Making
it possible for her to hit you in the darkness.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 6/6/2008 at 08:07 (GMT -5) by gut]

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: