Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Where to pickpocket for AOLS

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Jules
Registered user

Last page view:

4769 days, 23 hours, 45 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 at 13:43 (GMT -5)

I have an excellent character with everything bar an AOLS. All pools drained no wishes etc. All I have is pickpocket at 100% and 3 potions of exchange.
Currently at COC 10 (dwarf town at 9) where I'm pickpocketing like mad. Nothing of any use so far.
I have a fluffball so might go down that route.

Any suggestions. The boredom is starting to kill me.
One AOLs and this is an ULE in the making.
Portrait
Elraz
Registered user

Last page view:

5098 days, 6 hours, 16 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 at 15:43 (GMT -5)

Try the water dragon cave.
If you`re feeling strong enough, you can go for the rift, but it might be risky if you`re less then lv 25.
try the PoEx, it always worth a shot.
Jules
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 at 07:32 (GMT -5)

Thanks Elraz dragon cave is a good option.
I have darkness and acid ball so can go for the blast to oblivion trick. PoEx is really my last resort. Get enough of those and wish engine comes into play (havent done it before but good time to start).
Rift isnt really an option, climbing too low and at level 19 I'm not confident enough given whats down there. After the water dragon cave I should have enough experience to get climbing up to 100 and take on the nasties in the library.

So I now have a plan that doenst involve standing in the same boring level for hour after hour.
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4067 days, 14 hours, 7 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 at 18:11 (GMT -5)

Incidentally, what would you recommend for getting a GODDAMN fireproof blanket?

I'm wishing I hadn't fed Moonsickle to the ratling...
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Nezur
Registered user

Last page view:

5436 days, 13 hours, 48 minutes and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 at 19:08 (GMT -5)

> what would you recommend for getting a GODDAMN fireproof blanket?

By completing Thrundarr's fourth quest you might get a fireproof blanket as a reward. Supposedly the following classes always receive it among other things: wizards, mindcrafters, necromancers, beastfighters, healers, monks, farmers, merchants and druids.

If you can't get it that way I recommend ID stairhopping.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4238 days, 13 hours, 25 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 at 08:08 (GMT -5)

ID stairhopping easily gets you loads of blankets I find.

For the AoLS wish I recommend severe caution when going to the water dragon's cave. Easy to lose a promising character there in quite a horrible death. If you want to ring-dip for a RoDS then the best location is D8. Be sure to bless the potions of exchange!
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
jsr
Registered user

Last page view:

4520 days, 18 hours, 30 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 at 02:23 (GMT -5)

> If you want to ring-dip for a RoDS then the best location is D8.

Uhm, I don't quite understand: is D:8 the best place to actually perform the ring or amulet transformation with PoEx? Why?
Oh my, I'm so lonely and need some company
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4238 days, 13 hours, 25 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 at 04:13 (GMT -5)

Becausethe danger level of rings of djinni summoning is 8 - this is thus the minimum level you must be on to have a chance of them being generated. Go deeper and other rings (such as slaying) begin spoiling your chances.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
jsr
Registered user

Last page view:

4520 days, 18 hours, 30 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 at 06:10 (GMT -5)

Now it's clear. Thank you!
Oh my, I'm so lonely and need some company
Jules
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 at 07:28 (GMT -5)

Quick update

Still no AOLS. Havent got helm of water breathing or ring of the fish, so cant try any of the suggestions that looked so good.
I'm currently blasting away at the trees and collecting the loot. Invisibility combined with Magic Missile is netting lots of useless stuff for me. I normally do this level with the banshee to collect lots of spellbooks prior to the library.
maddog
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 at 12:35 (GMT -5)

AoLS is DL 2 and can be transmuted from Raw Chaos (read Moonsickle).
RoDS (and WoW) CANNOT be transmuted with Raw Chaos (and it would be futile to do so anyhow since Raw Chaos transmutes a stack into a single item). RoDS has DL 8 and a much higher probability of generation than a wand (if my recollection is correct).
Jules
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, September 08, 2008 at 06:43 (GMT -5)

OK here comes an inane rant.

3 Excellent characters all died searching for a blasted AOLS. Have AOLS been removed from my version of ADOM by some annoying little imp who has come along purely to annoy me.
Each character has drained every pool, pickpocketed every chance they were given. I've spent hours developing each character, Morgia roots, blink dog corpses (I always get multiple and sell them to cover the problem of drinking from pools).
My new character is due so much luck that AOLS, SLB, artifacts etc are surely due on every dungeon level I bother to look on.

I'm starting to hate this game and the RNG that comes with it. Problem with this is that like marathon running, I'm hopelessly addicted to it.

Ok, rant over, and I appologise for wasting valuable internet space.
vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

4955 days, 20 hours, 55 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, September 08, 2008 at 07:26 (GMT -5)

Jules man - next time you get down to Khelly, assuming you have been to all the really obvious places already, check your pockets -AoLS on board? No? Just kill him. Just let him die, or better yet, stab him for increased satisfaction.

Even better, if you do have an AoLS, wear it yourself whilst chatting to him, and enjoy the look of disbelief, envy and despair in his eyes as he perishes.

I mean come on, not every game needs to be an Ultra.
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4896 days, 15 hours, 41 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, September 08, 2008 at 07:52 (GMT -5)

That was a good one : )
Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!
magellan
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 at 11:31 (GMT -5)

Well... if khelly bites it ordinary chaos god is still possible (and quite a challenge too, equaling a lvl 66 filk)

but i know the feeling of having the RNG mock you ... once had a character find 3 (!) AoLS and 1 RoDS on the way down to khelly without even trying ... My current character tried everywhere except for the tower of eternal flames (hey, that place is dangerous!) and of course found nothing. But: on the level below Khelly there lies an AoLS, and one of the demons drops a RoDS in the tower ... *grrrr*
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4067 days, 14 hours, 7 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 at 16:31 (GMT -5)

Khelly dead on D:16, wand of wishing with four charges on D:17.

Note: I am NOT complaining.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Jules
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 at 03:44 (GMT -5)

FINALLY

Got one, only took 20 characters, of whom 8 reached Khelly. Took all but one pools in Darkforge to be drained.
I now have a 19th level DE Wizard trawling COC. About to slap the Eternal guardian for a few cheap levels.
This guy has a real chance now to do go ULE. Scroll of danger and two POCC already safely tucked away.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: