Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / I like "poison hands"!

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

jsr
Registered user

Last page view:

4513 days, 16 hours, 45 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 at 03:02 (GMT -5)

First, some background. I'm playing as assassin for last few weeks, and finally managed to make one character survive for long enough. Right now I have a Raven-born female dark elven assassin, who is almost at level 22. Her accomplishments so far: healed mad carpenter, delivered a dead cute dog, killed Hotzenplotz, did four first Thundarr quests, did the Pyramid, cleaned out the Darkforge (except the Kherab, he's too tough), visited Assassins guild (for no specific reason), has RotHK, rune-covered trident (and looted the entire treasure hoard of Blup's mom, yet spared her life). At level 20 finally got ring of immunity as precrowning gift (well worth the time, spent in RotHK caverns and DH:1-2 while XP-scumming). Visited HMV (passed SMC at level 21 - it's horrible!) Very nice speed: Raven, quickling lord corpse, Greased Lightning + prerequisites, ring of speed (+5), boots of speed (+8) or optionally 7LB (2nd pair already, first one has been dissolved by ankheg long ago). Nice intrinsics: acid immunity, teleport control, some resistances, invisibility (yeeeeaaah!). Still have no orbs, because I want to save Khelavaster, but without goddamned pools. And corruptions: astral planes (great!), sulphuric breath (nice) and... poison hands - well, some crap like that had to happen eventually.

And you know... I like this corruption, despite the fact, that I can't find any thick gauntlets. How do you think: is permanently poisonous melee weaponry worth the troubles this corruption brings? Right now I have to wear alchemistic gloves, which seem to help from turning potions into poison and food cursing most of the times, but never help when eating or drinking. Eventually I will find some thick gauntlets, and will be able to use potions again (aaarghhh, there are 3 PoGAs waiting for me already, as well as some other stat increasing stuff).

My question is: do you always get rid of this corruption as soon as possible or, possessing thick gauntlets, let poison hands stay with you? For example, you wear something else on your hands most of the time, and when you need to eat or drink or pick some food/potion up, just switch to thick gauntlets for a while? Is this tactics fine, or it's too dangerous? Well, cowardly eating during the battle in a mid-late game is somewhat unwise, and if you have to, then it's just your own tactical mistake, so the food is not a big problem here - potions are. The only emergency situation I can imagine now is PoEH/PoUH - we need one additional turn here to shitch gauntlets and cold blood just not to find oneself drinking blessed poison. But there are two better ways: teleporting oneself away (hopefully, with TPC) or prayer, if teleportation is restricted.

Oh, great... now poison hands turn out to be good.

Oh my, I'm so lonely and need some company
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4060 days, 12 hours, 22 minutes and 17 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 at 13:26 (GMT -5)

Poison hands is awesome right up to when you pick up your entire supply of potions without protection.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
magellan
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 at 18:12 (GMT -5)

Hehe
yeah. got poison hands, went to bed.
Next time i played i decided to sort my inventory, drop all and pick stuff up again...
wait what?? what??? right! forgot the poison hands and had a huge arsenal of potions of poison

So yep, i remove it asap...just to prevent accidents.
jsr
Registered user

Last page view:

4513 days, 16 hours, 45 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 at 01:58 (GMT -5)

Yesterday this problem had become somewhat irrelevant to me. I was cleaning out a lesser vault of red dragons on D:40, when it happened... A short power failure. I wish I had an UPS... My character, who was just a few steps away from the victory, my first successful non-spellcaster is now lost. Lol'th, punish those bastards, who did that to me.

Oh my, I'm so lonely and need some company
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

4591 days, 1 hour, 45 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 at 15:51 (GMT -5)

That's why you get in the habit of backing up games regularly. Savedat, right click on their named file, copy, paste elsewhere = power failure be damned.

There are battery backup products which can supply your PC with power for a while in the event of a power outage so you can finish up what you're doing. Might be worth investing in.
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

"Be sure to keep your distance if you don't have resistance." -DG
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4060 days, 12 hours, 22 minutes and 17 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 at 17:51 (GMT -5)

There are advantages to playing ADOM on a notebook, even if the notebook in question has a broken battery that will work for two minutes without electricity at most.

(Incidentally, my new notebook... has a NUMPAD. A roguelike player's dream.)
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4231 days, 11 hours, 40 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 at 00:00 (GMT -5)

You can always play ojn the ADOMServer, which in case of crash (in game or out) has an amazing restore feature. Doesn't allow scumming by any means, but does give a failsafe in case the unimaginable should realize itself.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4889 days, 13 hours, 57 minutes and 3 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 at 05:41 (GMT -5)

So, if you had played your RCC PC on the server,
we might have actually gotten a single win?
Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: