Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Shop prejudice inciting attack

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Sylph
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 at 07:32 (GMT -5)

Hi folks,
Just encountered a new situation I'd never seen before - wanted to run it by this forum to see if anyone knows specifically what causes it, so I can look out for it in future...

I had an orcish assassin PC, no corruptions, wearing an amulet of order and sitting in waldenbrook's shop so that he could change his alignment erady for precrownings. I was holding an uncursed mithril cap that belonged to waldenbrook, so that the door would stay shut while I waited for my alignment to change.

While waiting, suddenly the "you hear a splashing sound' message was displyed, followed by 'stop, ye thief'. My alignment dropped, I got cursed, and waldenbrook summoned thugs and attacked me! Message log is below.

Anyone ever seen this before? Anyone know what hapenned?

your neck. You notice an itching feeling around your neck. You hear the holy chants of a chorus in the distance. You notice an itching feeling around your neck. You hear the holy chants of a chorus in the distance. You hear the holy chants of a chorus in the distance. You hear Waldenbrook cursing shoplifters. You notice an itching feeling around your neck. You hear a splashing sound. Waldenbrook yells: "Stop, ye thief!". Suddenly several figures appear out of nowhere! You feel as if transgressing some law.
Not while in the vicinity of a potentially hostile monster.
Unknown command: '\Cm'. (x2)
You are not yet that corrupted.
You drop the uncursed mithril cap [+0, +2] (unpaid, 563gp). Waldenbrook misses
you. Waldenbrook hits you. Waldenbrook hits you.
Unknown command: ' '.
Current tactic: Coward (-19 to hit, -8 to damage, +21 DV)
Waldenbrook misses you. Waldenbrook hits you. Waldenbrook hits you.
You pray to The One Who Kills.
You feel that a sinister curse is lifted from you. Waldenbrook hits you.
Waldenbrook misses you. Waldenbrook hits you.
Unknown command: ' '.
You pray to The One Who Kills.
You are healed by a silvery light surrounding you.
Unknown command: ' '. (x3)
Current tactic: Berserker (+21 to hit, +7 to damage, -18 DV)
You hit Waldenbrook and slightly wound him. Waldenbrook misses you.
Waldenbrook hits you. Waldenbrook misses you.
You hit Waldenbrook and slightly wound him. You notice an itching feeling
around your neck. Waldenbrook hits you. Waldenbrook hits you.
Waldenbrook hits you.
You hit Waldenbrook and slightly wound him. Waldenbrook hits you. Waldenbrook
hits you. Waldenbrook hits you. You die...
Do you want to see the last messages before your death? [Y/n]
Lost In Place
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 at 08:30 (GMT -5)

An acid trap was activated on the level, causing the town to go hostile.
jsr
Registered user

Last page view:

4521 days, 3 hours, 19 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 at 10:35 (GMT -5)

That Waldenbrook is a freaking racist. Whatever happens, orcs or dark elves are always the ones who are guilty.
Oh my, I'm so lonely and need some company
magellan
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 at 08:04 (GMT -5)

wierd...
acid trap seems unlikely to me. 1st: how did it get on the level? 2nd: you can bring hostile monsters to dwarftown and they dont get angry, so why would the blame you when it starts to rain?

I think the key is in that "curse lifted" message ... never seen that before. loosing doom intrinsic reads along "terrible gloom lifted" and losing cursed reads "you feel relieved" IIRC ... humm
jsr
Registered user

Last page view:

4521 days, 3 hours, 19 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 at 09:05 (GMT -5)

Sylph, what version of ADOM did you play?
Oh my, I'm so lonely and need some company
Sylph
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 at 13:09 (GMT -5)

The latest version, undoubtedly. It was definately an acid trap. I created one with a wand of trap creation. Not sure about the curse lifted message, but I'm sure it was an acid trap. Thanks Lost In Place!
Nezur
Registered user

Last page view:

5436 days, 22 hours, 38 minutes and 6 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 at 13:23 (GMT -5)

Magellan wrote:
> losing cursed reads "you feel relieved" IIRC

Sylph wrote:
> Not sure about the curse lifted message

The OP prayed and her god uncursed her. "You feel relieved" means your curse was removed by a pool sip.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 8/23/2008 at 13:24 (GMT -5) by Nezur]
Sylph
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 at 11:14 (GMT -5)

I'm not sure what got me cursed, that's the point... It seems the game assumed I was looting the shop.
Either way, I'm gonna be more careful with my wands of trap creation in dwarftown from now on. :)
Nezur
Registered user

Last page view:

5436 days, 22 hours, 38 minutes and 6 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 at 12:08 (GMT -5)

> I'm not sure what got me cursed, that's the point...

Hmmm, sorry. You did say you're not sure about the message though.

Attacking any NPC causes the whole Dwarftown to become hostile unless some kind of special tactics are practised. If you piddle off the merchant I think you get cursed (or doomed) whether you stole or not. I'm pretty sure that stealing from shops while invisible doesn't result in any negative consequences.
Lost In Place
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 at 13:58 (GMT -5)

I just did some testing. Apparently if you're holding an unpaid for item when the town goes hostile, the game considers the item stolen, so you get cursed if neutral/lawful (as though caught stealing). If you aren't holding anything, nothing happens in that regard.
magellan
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 at 02:27 (GMT -5)

So they *do* blame you if it starts raining .... Not *that* unexpected with those dwarfs now that i think of it :P
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

4598 days, 12 hours, 19 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 at 16:13 (GMT -5)

They live in a cave, they don't even know what rain is! Rolf wrote about it in his journals, but they didn't pay much attention, the stories about heaps of gold were much more interesting.

I did a test once with an assasin character. A friend of mine asked me if I could kill the entire town. So I put on a ring of invisibility and equipped an eternium two handed sword and 1-shotted everything. If I recall correctly, the town did not at any point go hostile since I was invisible, or maybe because I killed each NPC instantly.
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

"Be sure to keep your distance if you don't have resistance." -DG

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: