Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / No corruption flag?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Nillo
Registered user

Last page view:

5308 days, 4 hours, 45 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 at 07:26 (GMT -5)

I have a drakeling priest right now that is aiming for an Avatar of Order ending. He is at level 40 and pretty much the only thing that keeps me from winning is that I need more experience to get the Filk quest. However, I'm running low on scrolls of chaos resistance, so I cannot wander around in the deeper levels of the Caverns as much as I'd like to.

I've been trying to find a wish so I can wish for "emperor moloch", and also to get more scrolls of chaos resistance from the Minstrel, but my Climbing skill is at 97 with no option of training it in the bandit village due to my lawful alignment.

Which leads me to my question. I have read that some levels like the Uninteresting Dungeon have a "no corruption" flag which prevents them from corrupting the player. What happens if I raise the danger level there by reading scrolls of danger? Will this dungeon start corrupting the player? If not, would it be possible to artificially create a dangerous level where a high level PC can gain experience without being corrupted? I have found a shop that sells scrolls so in theory I could purchase as many scrolls of danger as I want.
Suddenly a stone block hits your head! Your looks improve. You feel more in touch with the world.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4232 days, 6 hours, 40 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 at 08:29 (GMT -5)

Ranging the danger level will cause them to become corrupting I'm afraid.

If you want to raise climbing then just spend some time walking through the wilderness mountains. It doesn't take long to raise naturally through regular training.

If you want some experience then consider killing the Ancient Karmic Wyrm that guards the BDC (assuming you've finished the Barney quest). He can be easily killed with Invisibility and Magic Missile. Cast slow monster on yourself before the killing blow to double your xp gains.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4061 days, 7 hours, 22 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 at 11:10 (GMT -5)

Did you already take advantage of the unicorn reward? Generally I think it's most prudent with any ultra ending to keep all the scrolls and let yourself get corrupted, and use the reward to clear 16 corruptions at once. That gives you the maximum amount of time to prepare without giving up any of your scrolls, which you can use after that.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Portrait
Nillo
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 at 16:45 (GMT -5)

Darren: Thanks for the tips. I didn't think about naturally training Climbing and I also haven't killed the karmic wyrm so that's a very good source of experience. It's a shame I didn't think about Slow Monster earlier though since I've killed a lot of monsters with a high base speed (it's at about 200 right now).

Silfir: I like to use the scrolls whenever I get one of the nastier corruptions. Letting them accumulate is a scary thought, but I can try.
Suddenly a stone block hits your head! Your looks improve. You feel more in touch with the world.
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 at 18:10 (GMT -5)

Just like me - never get rid of your thick gauntlets. Carry them all. Once mana battery kicks in, pray you don't find a wand of wishing.

You need to be corruption-free and equipped with a couple of scrolls on entry to the chaos plane, I think, otherwise you're in trouble.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 at 07:39 (GMT -5)

For an avatar of order your corruption level doesn't matter as you pass through the gate. Of course low corruption helps, since you'll be picking up a lot of them during the fight with Andy.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Portrait
Nillo
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 at 18:11 (GMT -5)

Aww crap, Sharad-Waador died too early and I didn't slow myself before the last missile. :( But I got 800k experience out of him and I'm at level 41 with max Climbing now, so I suppose a trip to the Library is in order.
Jhonka
Registered user
Kickass player

Last page view:

5349 days, 6 hours, 40 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 at 08:04 (GMT -5)

There are a total of 21 socr if i remember correctly,
4 from mystic and bug cave
1 from hmv
6 from sage and minstrel

My last DE necromancer went c- throughout the entire game and I hadn't used more than 1 socr, that i read on accident, and 2 pocc and i was sill kicking with only 2 or 3 corruptions.

BTW, Master Summoner was killed by a vapor rat that stepped on a loose board :D. Talk about wimpy boss fight.
Portrait
littlebrather
Registered user

Last page view:

4796 days, 7 hours, 7 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 at 14:51 (GMT -5)

>>4 from mystic
not guaranteed, as far as I remember
until it sleep
Jhonka
Registered user
Kickass player

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 at 15:38 (GMT -5)

always for neutrals as per my experience
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 at 18:26 (GMT -5)

I've gotten only potions of insight and training far too often to be able to confirm your experience, sadly...
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 at 22:26 (GMT -5)

Jhonka, it's a 50% chance for neutrals, 0% for everyone else. Far too many times I've had to suffer some useless potions, even as a neutral :(
Jhonka
Registered user
Kickass player

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 at 02:40 (GMT -5)

- Far too many times I've had to suffer some
- useless potions, even as a neutral :(

are you saying that potions of of insight are useless?!? Hah, I bet *you* haven't been saved by checking your intrisics when being hit critically 8 times in a row by master cat(yup, i'm doomed alright).

Mystic does give poga, though...

Anyway, it's 16 guaranteed and 50% chance of 21? I bet the library it self has atleast the same 50% chance of sorc, unless you are a wizard.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/11/2009 at 02:40 (GMT -5) by Jhonka]
Portrait
Nillo
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 at 09:35 (GMT -5)

Potions of insight are useless to me because I have 5000+ cast points in Revelation which is more than I will ever need. :/ I am guessing that you're being sarcastic.

Actually I have hit the limit of 30000 cast points on most of the basic spells by now, but for some reason I never find any ball spells which annoys me greatly.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 at 14:30 (GMT -5)

Even for non-casters I'm careful not to get doomed :P And 1 PoGA is pretty worthless in my books.
Portrait
Zephyr
Registered user
Solar

Last page view:

4891 days, 19 hours, 39 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, April 09, 2009 at 20:25 (GMT -5)

Firstly, Yes, I'd agree with the above statements of it sucking when you only get the potions. I cry a little on the inside every time it happens. Secondly, to get back to the original question, I thought that raising the danger level on a "no-corruption" flag level wouldn't cause it to be corrupting. Thinking of the flag as a programming tool, I would think that having the flag set would bypass any danger level checks or anything of the sort... Has anyone done any testing on this, or anything like that?
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a day. Light a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
ja
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, April 10, 2009 at 19:07 (GMT -5)

You might want to try walking around slowed all the time. That 200 base speed is horrible for exp gain. Or try to get boots of the slow shuffle, or moloch armour or something to lower that speed.

As for the danger level and corruption, well it seems pretty simple. For example, if dwarftown is generated on lvls 9 or 10 it isn't corrupting and you can safely do smithing there. If it's on 11 it's corrupting and you have to read a scroll of peace if you want to use the forge there. I'll bet all the other places are like this too, dlvl>10=corrupting.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: