Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / wacko restriction games

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Jhonka
Registered user
Kickass player

Last page view:

5328 days, 15 hours, 13 minutes and 10 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 at 03:03 (GMT -5)

After 10 or so years, even adom might get a bit too familiar. So what kind of interesting games have you played to overcome dullness?

My current is VEEEEEERRRY evil Dark Elven necromancer. The goal is ultra evil ending(of course) and the way is only magic missile and melee, no piety anything(I could use altars but I'm so evil it just wouldn't not suit the char). I do *every* guest in the game, apart from kranach and kill every nice dude when possible. Nice being everyone else and me being also my slaves. I go through the game c or c- all the way except for the totrr which can only be summoned to non chaotic.

The added coolness comes when/if robes of resistance are found, since with them a lvl 50 necro is basically immortal!!

Attacking bosses with quickling king, queen and bard skeleton warriors make the battles sort of short.
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5113 days, 21 hours, 7 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 at 06:50 (GMT -5)

I played a DE ranger who dual-wielded (daggers and swords only) the whole game. Won too.
Jhonka
Registered user
Kickass player

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 at 09:26 (GMT -5)

Drizzt inspired?!?

Instead of winning my necros keep blasting themselves into oblivion with magic missiles.

BTW i was born with two headed calf and at lvl 15 i've found aols(not wished!), pocc, scoll of danger, fickle orcish spear of penetration :D, wicked orcish spear, green orcish spear, charged splintmail, spear of eagle and murderous orcish dagger and all in less than 25k turns! UD had 3 vaults and so far Coc has provided me with 2, which means 6 when puppy cave is taken into count. Am i being incredibly lucky, or does the calf thing have something to do with this?

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/11/2009 at 09:27 (GMT -5) by Jhonka]
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4211 days, 15 hours, 13 minutes and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 at 14:31 (GMT -5)

I did a drakeling farmer that was only allowed to use acid spit to harm enemies - was surprisingly successful.

One of the more fun challenges which I got from gut is to try and complete the game in as few turns as possible. gut holds the records at an astounding 16k turns, whilst I'm at 3rd place with 21k.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4040 days, 15 hours, 55 minutes and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 at 16:52 (GMT -5)

Charged splint mail? Isn't that the one that shocks you all the time?
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Jules
Registered user

Last page view:

4743 days, 1 hour, 34 minutes and 23 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 at 07:24 (GMT -5)

Two headed calf I believe increases the chances of shops, valuts etc occuring within the game. Basically it makes unusual occurances considerably more likely.
The only time I've had this with a decent character, I flew up the levels with an almost indestructable character. Then as usual I pressed down instead of left, and blasted myself into oblivion with magic missle !!!.
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4869 days, 17 hours, 30 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 at 10:36 (GMT -5)

> what kind of interesting games have you played to overcome dullness?

Fling the bling is one of the most fun for me.
It wasn't mind-controlling, the way that limited
turns was.
Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!
Jhonka
Registered user
Kickass player

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 at 12:25 (GMT -5)

I went for the limited turn one with DE necro and went for ultra(bad) ending, with the totrr and all. I got to chaos plane in a bit more than 60k turns but died 'cos forgot to equip the mtfckng medal.

I bet you could do it at ~40k, but that would require finding the aols fast. It took me roughly the 20k turns to find it.

I've actually liked the fast paced gaming after that. DE necromancers rock since they have find weakness and food pres, which are very nice for melee char.

>Charged splint mail? Isn't that the one that shocks you all the time?
yup, and with no means of uncursing, it had to be fed to a rust monster. Very nasty surprise!

EDIT: All magic wielders are neat to play the melee style! Mages get hold of the cow axe fairly easily, and early, and it's the second best melee weapon in the entire game.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/12/2009 at 12:29 (GMT -5) by Jhonka]
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 at 20:05 (GMT -5)

> I bet you could do it at ~40k,

I bet I couldn't do it at all! Give bling
flinging a try, DE's are THE race of choice
for that one in my opinion.
Jhonka
Registered user
Kickass player

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 at 10:54 (GMT -5)

Does bling flinging mean DE merchant who throws money to beggars and children(and dwarves and farmers etc...)?
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 at 11:43 (GMT -5)

You could indeed fling bling at them, as well as orcs, demons, molochs, etc...
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 at 12:07 (GMT -5)

That challenge game means that you must beat the
game while never damaging any monster in any way
other than thrown gold coins. DE's are the best
due to the fact that they start with the 'find
weakness' skill and high De stat.
Tonx
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, August 11, 2009 at 12:10 (GMT -5)

The only insane challenge game I've ever completed is a Deaf / Mute game. The goal is to keep stuffing your ears with bees wax (except in the ToEF, where you'll melt your supply too fast), and complete the game without chatting with ANYONE. Oh, and make sure you're deaf when approaching any chatty cathy's, like Kelly or some unique monsters.

That means no obtaining quests, no chatting with ratling traders, no notice of some of the louder dangerous monsters, very few SoCRs...

It also brings up a few unique situations. For instance, you can't enter Thundaar's room (and thus the portal lever) naturally while deaf.

I did it with a trollish monk - but it took many tries to be able to survive the entire trip.
Mozzy_Tunes
Registered user

Last page view:

5339 days, 1 hour, 46 minutes and 9 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, August 12, 2009 at 13:50 (GMT -5)

I know, how about;

beat the game without beating off? you have to spend at least 3 days playing in real time.
Soirana unplugged
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, September 01, 2009 at 03:15 (GMT -5)

Zen monk - if you modify it for orbs [i was reminded original nethack also needs few turns to read book], maybe allow on d48 and when blind with stacked light trap activations.
Only i do not think i have balls to go through it again. Although if i have ton of time in mine night shifts... nay, still better speedruns on server.
dfghjk
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, August 01, 2010 at 18:02 (GMT -5)

idea for challenge game:
go straight to Gremlin cave at lv. 1.
get to lv. 50.
(kinda like eternium man, but with gremlin cave.)
Portrait
Maul
Registered user
[banned user]

Last page view:

4900 days, 15 hours, 39 minutes and 10 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, August 14, 2010 at 17:36 (GMT -5)

Wow, and I thought Eternium Man was the hardest possible challenge after Brimstone. I'd be curious about how you'd complete that. (I don't think you can even get a wish in GC, or can you? DL is just too low.)
1l= Y0(_) [4l\l R34[) 7l-l15, Y0(_) l\/l(_)57 83 PR377Y G00[).
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, August 19, 2010 at 12:16 (GMT -5)

Scrolls of danger can be pickpocketed from gremlins, making wish engines quite achievable. Would be easier than eternium in certain ways.
Portrait
Maul
Registered user
[banned user]

Last page view:

4900 days, 15 hours, 39 minutes and 10 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, August 29, 2010 at 13:36 (GMT -5)

Oh yeah, that's possible. Well, it'd be a game of luck then - scrolls of danger are still damn rare.
1l= Y0(_) [4l\l R34[) 7l-l15, Y0(_) l\/l(_)57 83 PR377Y G00[).
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, August 30, 2010 at 20:01 (GMT -5)

More patience than luck really :)

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: