Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Best Class

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 2 pages long.
Go to page 1 2
Truckman
Registered user

Last page view:

8074 days, 6 hours, 17 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 at 11:22 (GMT -5)

I used to like archers...
I'd always go to the lawless town below...
Kill off everyone in the town, go up 8 levels.
Then proceed into the puppy quest and then SMC.

But they're too weak.

I never get wishes.

I think I've only got 1 in hundreds of characters.

Arggh!

"They have computers for the internet...?"
:)
Portrait
Tha Messiah
Registered user
Angel of Death

Last page view:

7749 days, 4 hours, 40 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 at 13:07 (GMT -5)

I cant really say there's a best class.
Every class is good in its own way.
Anyway here are a few classes I dont play often:
Fighter
Necromancer
Weaponsmith

But all of them are great classes.
I usually use the random char generator.

THE MESSIAH,I'm here now,Worship me.
Jack
Registered user

Last page view:

7790 days, 6 hours, 17 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2002 at 04:47 (GMT -5)

Well, speaking of this,
-here's also a few class which i also don't often play:
=wizard
=merchant
=paladin

Prefer warrior classes

But i think a random char generator is great if one can't decide which char to choose

" Our task must be to free ourselves from the prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty." -Albert Einstein
Truckman
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, February 15, 2002 at 08:19 (GMT -5)

Strange, but I find the Elementalist I am now playing to be a real kick-ass character. He's only lvl 12 right now, but the spells are a huge help.

Portrait
Tha Messiah
Registered user
Angel of Death

Last page view:

7749 days, 4 hours, 40 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2002 at 12:04 (GMT -5)

IMO Bards are great too.
Of course that depends on the skills they recieve

And of course I forgot I dont play merchants.

THE MESSIAH,I'm here now,Worship me.
Portrait
Crimson King
Registered user

Last page view:

6292 days, 21 hours, 16 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2002 at 12:21 (GMT -5)

Well, merchants are great IMO and I prefer mostly humans 'cause they have food pres. and they are always average fighters and they can learn spells...

Joka vitsaa säästää, saa kaatumataudin
Truckman
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, February 15, 2002 at 15:07 (GMT -5)

Do you think TB will include odd professions like 'Tourist' from Nethack?

TM

Portrait
Dougy
Registered user
What is the deal with cards?

Last page view:

5801 days, 19 hours, 29 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2002 at 21:32 (GMT -5)

lemme guess, you work for an internet phone help line ?

priests are definately the easiest class, rangers tend to be easy aswell once good armor is discovered. ones i don't play often are weaponsmiths, assassins, necromancers. Generally the ones that don't begin with healing skill are considered hard.

Adomer from Australia.

DougyDougy - Dougy - DougyDougy
Portrait
SkidiWili
Registered user
Grand Inquisitor

Last page view:

8071 days, 6 hours, 31 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2002 at 04:20 (GMT -5)

Well, elven priests are easy to start with because they have the chain mail, long bow and with some luck a flail and an attack spell. But they begin loose their usefulness later. Lacking the trendemouse powers in spellcasting similar to the wizards and lacking even more in the fighting side.
Wizards(Necromancer, Elementalist) are powerful, perhaps gthe most powerful class, if you are always really careful. I at least can't play with wizards because I just can't go on with all that carefulness and then they die from trap or in melee.
Barbarians are easy to start with at least when you get the healing skill. Just hack and slash all the way, but some situations may cause some problems like the ones including spells, but you can finish the game without spells.
Bards are potentially the worst and best class in the game. All depends so much on the starting skills.
Bards .....
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2002 at 05:59 (GMT -5)

> Bards are potentially the worst and best class
> in the game. All depends so much on the
> starting skills.

Definately, a Bards "usefulness" is related to the skills you get - I've had Bards start with as little as 6/7 skills and as many as 20, But most of the skills they get "randomly" can be picked up somewhere in the game (Of course 1 of healing or herbalism is necessary) causing, I think, that advantage to soon be eroded, so that you end up with a character that is a below average fighter and poor magic user that can tame animals.

Reminds me of one of TP characters "Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a sword a bit"

Still, wouldn't want to play any other class :-)
Internet
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2002 at 08:25 (GMT -5)

Nah --- it's a quote of Homer Simpson from The Simpsons!

Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3727 days, 15 hours, 22 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2002 at 13:04 (GMT -5)

i'm imagaining Homer trying to handle a sword... it isn't pretty.
Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Guinea
Registered user
tWo-HeAdEd cHaOs WeAsEl

Last page view:

6941 days, 16 minutes and 23 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 at 00:10 (GMT -5)

"Which way should I wield it... D'OH! I'm bleeding! Stupid sword!"
;))))

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 2/20/2002 at 00:15 (GMT -5) by Guinea]
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

5634 days, 18 hours, 41 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 at 02:07 (GMT -5)

he doesn't know the word wield. he's say "Which end is the handle? Oo, that's sharp. Owwie, that's sharp. AHHH! I'm bleeding! AHhh! AHHH! AHHH! Marge, get a bandaid quick, I think I cut my hand off! AHHH! Ooo, morphine... WooooOOoo... that's good..."

anyways on the vein of this thread, Hurthling Elementalists can be a good and bad combination. I have one going, up to lvl 16 (IIRC) right now. it's tough; the stupid thing started with a mere 4 (!!!) in ST, 8 in MA, and some other quite dismal scores. I've taken to eating (greater) claw bug corpses and looking for a PoEx hoping to get one of my very dismal scores up again. first though i gotta get herbalism and find some morgia roots as i have about 8 in WI (at thats with a +6 from my amulet). i moved real slow with this char. i mean real slow. he was lvl 13 when i left the PC, where i went immediatly after the VD.

ivan.sourceforge.net

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 2/20/2002 at 02:11 (GMT -5) by Duke Ravage]
adomer2
Registered user

Last page view:

8010 days, 7 hours, 4 minutes and 32 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 at 13:56 (GMT -5)

high elves are my most used race. they make good rangers or even barbarians. farmers are a good class for all the skills you get. anythign with food preservation and survival makes my games much more fun. i hate searching for food. i used to play wizards but i always end up meleeing more than spells after i get a decent ball spell and then it's just like having a bad fighter. artifact weapons are usually easier to come by than spellbooks of acidball.
raven
Registered user

Last page view:

7110 days, 5 hours, 21 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2002 at 07:08 (GMT -5)

im having good fortune w/ a dwarven paladin, level 15 and at class 11 in swords, {droped all the spell books in a safe place, until just now,when im able to read them w/o them dissapearing on me.}im just killing time to get 'divine wrath' to +15 and do darkforge...my only problem is not getting enough Ma rasing corpses...
Portrait
Mishka
Registered user
Hopeless

Last page view:

6091 days, 7 hours, 48 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2002 at 09:49 (GMT -5)

I have been playing a gnomish beastfighter now and i think she is very promising.

"Faugh!" snorted Tahngarth. "Why would it make a meal out of something like you?" Squee looked relieved. "No," he continued, "you'd make a much better toothpick."
Jack
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2002 at 13:57 (GMT -5)

Actually, raven u need not need to get the lightning bolt spell to +15. Just melee the golems. U will get a lot of points off in the sword and could even advance to class 12. Actually, to be true. I wonder whether divine wrath at +15 would work or not. I have a previous char with +23 at divine wrath but the golems seem to shrug the bolts off. So, i brought 2 golems at a time up the stairs and I got mad and used a three square vertical direction [against the wall]to reflect the bolt and it seems to succeed and i always crowned as Champion before going to darkforge and that char happen to got lightning immunity but the reflecting lightning bolt destroyed quite a lot of my items. Too bad that time i was a new beginner and hence does not know wat to do next. That char died after several blows from a steel golem.

" Our task must be to free ourselves from the prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty." -Albert Einstein

[Edited 2 times, last edit on 2/21/2002 at 13:59 (GMT -5) by Jack]
J.
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2002 at 01:39 (GMT -5)

I have found that mace of disruption (or was it destruction) is very effective against those golems. I had a spellcaster (high elf IIRC) equipped with one and just meleed those golems one at a time. I had something like 250 HP and decent (but not outstanding) armor. Of course I had to heal a bit but really I wasn't in a danger of dying.
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5737 days, 12 hours, 13 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2002 at 04:16 (GMT -5)

Use a weapon of penetration or a phase dagger to get past the golems' high PV. I keep all the weapons of penetration I find, and switch to them if I'm seeing a lot of "You hit the foo but do not manage to harm it" messages.
Jack
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, February 22, 2002 at 06:27 (GMT -5)

Phase weapons are *very* hard to find in the beginning and also at the end of the game. As for weapon of penetration, that's also hard to find but in the case of spear and axe, that's easy. To find axe of penetration, just simply wander about the road near the assassin guild for gnolls and than identify those stuffs. Spears are easy to get through traps, lurking orcs in the hills.

Fierysam
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2002 at 16:01 (GMT -5)

wll i would say a trolish monk. the less food consumption of th monk and the great hunger of the troll balances the food eating. trolls hae amazing str with the monks natural str in their fists. monks NEVER hav to have protctin (i.e. gloves,rings,amulets etc.)and if you COULD get the survival skill in the bginning you set. except when fighting th eterium guardian and last boss. those are my 2 cents|my sig.|CHICKEN FATA$$!!
Marduk Kurios
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2002 at 17:12 (GMT -5)

either a dark elven necromancer or a trollish healer, I find dark elves usually have the most mana in the beginning of the game so that helps a lot when creating undead help as well as being decent magic users, and trollish healers are damn near invincible due to their unequaled healing rate, and being trolls, they're great fighters.
J.
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, March 01, 2002 at 03:42 (GMT -5)

Weapons of penetration are also good against steel golems. I once had a cursed and doomed bard (Lv18 or something) kill steel golems in Darkforge with a battle axe of penetration.
Mindstorm
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, March 25, 2002 at 08:00 (GMT -5)

Playing dark elven paladin can be a real fun because of all this blessed stuff at the beginning.
Having Athletics quickly raises St and To from their low initial values. As fighting skills go,
its very easy to destroy enemies starting with Find Weakness and Two Weapon Combat using two decently light weapons - spears or daggers for instance. Healing and Alertness can save his life too. His first class power allows you to eat all kobold shamans you encounter:) Later in the game there appears a VERY useful class ability - stat drain resistance!
The only hindrance is that lack of Food Preservation.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/25/2002 at 08:05 (GMT -5) by its author]
Portrait
BM
Registered user
The Necromancer

Last page view:

7734 days, 7 hours, 35 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, March 26, 2002 at 09:36 (GMT -5)

Hehehe But necromancer is more powerfull, his class power are very nice and usefull in game. Speciality resistance for special undeads atack in low level. And the best skill alchemy;) And what about 50 level paladin verssus 50 level necromanta?;) eeeee not necromanta but his quickling queen lich?;)

"Insect, we care not for thee. Disturb us any we will extingwish thy weak candle of life"
Portrait
Guinea
Registered user
tWo-HeAdEd cHaOs WeAsEl

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, March 26, 2002 at 11:48 (GMT -5)

And how about his quickling queen lich vs lvl50 high elven archer with Sun's Messenger and blessed arrows of undead slaying?

Portrait
BM
Registered user
The Necromancer

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, March 26, 2002 at 12:01 (GMT -5)

No chance. If your first fireball didn't kill it... You are dead. It's extremaly fast monster speed over 1000, lots of atack, confiuson (your resist is in corelation with your level and monster level), quick regeneration, healing. It's can kill everything in Tempel mana or Level 50 CoC in 5 minut.

"Insect, we care not for thee. Disturb us any we will extingwish thy weak candle of life"
Portrait
Guinea
Registered user
tWo-HeAdEd cHaOs WeAsEl

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, March 26, 2002 at 12:10 (GMT -5)

Fireball? I was talking about an archer. Sun's Messenger slays undead, as well as arrows of udead slaying, so maybe it would fall to such shoot.
Maybe it can kill everything in temple of mana, I actually never was that deep. The 50lvl elven archer is just a theory for me, never had such a hero.

Portrait
BM
Registered user
The Necromancer

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, March 26, 2002 at 12:15 (GMT -5)

Heh first archer must strike in lich:) And it's a some problem. Hit and kill. Fireball is more efectivity. Fireball never miss and it's imposible to shrug off;)

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/26/2002 at 12:15 (GMT -5) by BM]
Go to page 1 2

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: