Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / ToEF guide

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

mmozzy
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 at 02:31 (GMT -5)

great tip about the ring in the missle slot. i'm going to try that. rings of regeneration are just awesome, very rare though.

the 1-3 points of damage seem a little low to me. if i remember right i was taking damage even with intrinsic fire resist and with items.

mithril will melt, adamantium or higher won't. maybe adamantium will if you stay in there a long time but who would do that?

i've only ever had one problem with backpack gear being destroyed with multiple fireproof blankets. i guess it was a run of bad luck. i had 4 of them burn in about 5 turns. so it can happen unfortunately. i think the breath attacks affect them more than the background heat. in general, like you said, clearing the way then returning is the best option if you don't have rings of ice.

fire giant kings are probably the biggest threat in there. mostly because you can confuse them with regular fire giants and then when they smack you around it can be hard to run from them because of the rock throwing. i've had mroe characters die from them than from the ACW.

also, you didn't mention any plans on how to clear the main vault? note that the ACW can still roll you if he's confused so that's not always the best option for melee characters. web and magicmissle/wands of acid are always a great option.
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4062 days, 16 hours, 7 minutes and 9 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, April 01, 2009 at 17:18 (GMT -5)

Mithril doesn't melt, neither does adamantium. I think Soirana's got his facts straight ;)
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

4950 days, 22 hours, 55 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, April 02, 2009 at 03:15 (GMT -5)

I could believe mithril might melt eventually, but would be very suprised indeed... you really would have to pause the game and just chill out there for much mithril melting success... hell, even my slings don't burn sometimes.
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4143 days, 20 hours, 41 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, April 03, 2009 at 23:57 (GMT -5)

minor corrections...

I love this place, but would prefer further discusiion on Adom.de. Thank you.
A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, April 04, 2009 at 13:20 (GMT -5)

deleted due to formating issues
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 4/24/2009 at 11:20 (GMT -5) by Soirana]
Jhonka
Registered user
Kickass player

Last page view:

5350 days, 15 hours, 24 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, April 11, 2009 at 13:21 (GMT -5)

I prefer magic missile for killing ACW. At lvl 18-20 I usually have mm ranging from lvl 32 to 35 and that's just about enough so that you can actually hit the ACW. Bolt spells do not make you "visible" to enemies being hit, so you can safely doodle between the wyrm and loads of enemies, that *will* surround you but not attack.

The more HC version is to dig a straight tunnel and lure ACW into it. Then dig a hole for bouncing the MM back(depending on the range of the spell) so that ACW is hit twice with every missile and then just cast till he dies. It would look like this:
            #   #
       #####.###.#######
       ..W..............
      @##.###.###.######
         #   #   #

Hide in hole, blast with magic; when ACW is close run to another hole and repeat.

EDIT: the picture does not show properly, but gives the idea.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 4/13/2009 at 05:10 (GMT -5) by Jhonka]
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4891 days, 17 hours, 41 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, April 12, 2009 at 15:19 (GMT -5)

Enclose it in {PRE} tags, just change the {'s to ['s.
Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!
Jhonka
Registered user
Kickass player

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, April 12, 2009 at 18:21 (GMT -5)

um... didn't get it. Enclose what in what and change thee... thingie to... hmm... something else?!? I feel a bit slow now );
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4062 days, 16 hours, 7 minutes and 9 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, April 13, 2009 at 04:14 (GMT -5)

[PREx]Screenshot you want to be properly displayed [/PREx]

Remove x :)
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Jhonka
Registered user
Kickass player

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, April 13, 2009 at 05:11 (GMT -5)

It works!
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4891 days, 17 hours, 41 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, April 14, 2009 at 06:05 (GMT -5)

I gave that exact same description to a guy over
at the official forums a few days ago and it
took, this time it flopped. Go figure : )
Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, April 24, 2009 at 10:34 (GMT -5)

cleaned few mistakes. This is more or less final version so if someone wants to use he can simply copypaste it.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

4593 days, 5 hours, 30 minutes and 13 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, May 15, 2009 at 20:19 (GMT -5)

I usually do a full clear of ToEF because the monsters give lots of xp and weapon marks. I can gain 2-5 levels usually. My archers do the best against ACW, even basic 1D6 arrows (especially when blessed) will kill him pretty fast. Sometimes I even scum levels 1-3 for all the dragons/ancient dragons and their big piles of loot. Also the giants to get their strength giving corpses.

Like another poster, I find the Fire Giant Kings to be the most deadly. If they get a critical hit, you can end up losing up to 200hp iirc.

Half the time, the biggest trouble leading up to my ToEF adventures is trying to find a damn ring of ice. Occasionally I've used a wish. Found one off a monster in griffyard, another from gravedigging.
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

"Be sure to keep your distance if you don't have resistance." -DG
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4233 days, 15 hours, 24 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, May 16, 2009 at 05:59 (GMT -5)

Ice is completely unnecessary in my experience. Just go in with higher metal gear. If you want to use missiles on the boss then just bring them out when he's in range and unequip them straight after.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
AshenPlanet
Registered user

Last page view:

3172 days, 4 hours, 48 minutes and 41 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, May 16, 2009 at 15:14 (GMT -5)

Ice is unnecessary.
Even if you use missiles extensively or you're an archer, it's no big deal.

2 arrows from your equiped stack will get burned every 50 turns or so.
Go in, find acw, kill acw, go out, and you won't lose many arrows at all.

If you want to farm, there are plenty of other less corrupting areas you can farm where you don't have to waste a wish...

Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

4593 days, 5 hours, 30 minutes and 13 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 03:22 (GMT -5)

Having that longbow of accuracy +8 +6 go up in smoke is a bitch. And wasting turns taking things off and putting them back on can put your survival in jeaopardy.

Girdle of Carrying is a must for all pack rats who haven't gotten a book of lordly might. Cloak of Defense/Protection and SLBs are some other stuff you'll want to use without worry. Plus, correct me if I'm mistaken, if you only have one fireproof blanket and it burns up, a ring of ice will also protect items in the pack?

All those factors make me feel that a ring of ice is mandatory.
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

"Be sure to keep your distance if you don't have resistance." -DG
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4233 days, 15 hours, 24 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 07:43 (GMT -5)

Don't wear your long bow of accuracy. Bring a bunch of crappy short bows, and only pull them out when necessary. The extra turn equipping is not a big problem if you only do it when you're safe. Wyrm can't do energy bolts unless in straight line, so it's safe to equip a bow after taking a step or two away.

Give up on packratting! At least for the tower. Drop all your stuff, then ctrl+p and choose only what's necessary. You don't bring all your stuff into the Air Temple or BDC or Rift either, do you? There's no reason to bring lots of heavy junk into the Tower.

Cloak is a sad loss, but now that important. SLBs the same - you don't need them to survive, and some extra PV from a pair of eternium boots won't go unmissed. Besides, ice is never 100%. Losing valuable equipment in the Tower whilst wearing ice is much more annoying than leaving it behind!
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
soirana unplugged
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, September 01, 2009 at 03:23 (GMT -5)

damn it, i should update guide. At least part about bringing crappy stuff for protection. Seems that even mine opinions change rapidly.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: