Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / 10 years in.. still a noob!

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Hatefulgravey
Registered user

Last page view:

5306 days, 19 hours, 58 minutes and 3 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, September 05, 2009 at 13:34 (GMT -5)

Hello everyone. As the title would suggest, I have been playing the game since early high school, on and off though, and still haven't managed to get much going for me. I have recently been putting alot of effort into reading the guidebooks and studying the things you can do in the game world. I've noticed some things I have done way wrong in the past that have doomed me (like really doomed my characters and screwed my game up) and made life harder.

There is alot of information out there, and it all seems to be for different versions of the game and... just alot going on. I get lost, and this is why I played the game on and off for so long. Too much information needed to just play a character past a few dungeon levels.

So I'm thinking I need to rethink the way I look at the game. I do very much enjoy the game, so I need to find a way to get deeper into it.

Suggestions? I know this is broad, but I'm thinking about this wrong, and I need a new way to look at this thing. It really seems that you have to get character after character killed for ever and a day before you learn enough to beat the game the first time, and even then its a lot of luck.

EDIT: And what on earth does RNG mean? All my reading hasn't answered that either.
Playing for 10 years, got nothing to show for it.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 9/5/2009 at 13:55 (GMT -5) by Hatefulgravey]
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4121 days, 3 hours, 46 minutes and 32 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, September 05, 2009 at 15:23 (GMT -5)

RNG = Random number generation, although i oftenly call it Ridiculously Notorious Goddess...

As info goes stuff like
forums on adom.de and wiki at ancradia.wikia.com could help but honestly are full of spoilers.

If you'd post more about your problems someone might get more specific advice.
A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Hatefulgravey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, September 08, 2009 at 12:07 (GMT -5)

Does being in coward status change anything about spell casting. I have been playing with an elementalist again (I find them easy to play to just get the basics down, not sure if they are good to finish the game with) and I have been in coward status for a while, just to test this out. I get hit a lot less, and my casting doesn't seem to be negatively impacted. Is this idea correct?

EDIT:
I'm reading the guidebook at work again, this section is about birth signs. In the discription for Falcon it mentions:
"The free talent is good for all PCs, especially for gnomish and hurthling bards, as it guarantees them both a very useful heir gift and the possibility to go for the treasure hunter talent."

How does one get these things, the heir gift and treasure hunter talent? I have seen the treasure hunter talent before. If I remember correctly you have to get it when you start the character, and can not get it later when levels, and it would require something like 4 talents at the start of the game. Is that right? What is the heir gift? I know nothing about that.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 9/8/2009 at 12:51 (GMT -5) by Hatefulgravey]
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4121 days, 3 hours, 46 minutes and 32 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, September 08, 2009 at 13:50 (GMT -5)

Spell casting is mostly unaffected by things like tactics, armor and so on in Adom.

Re: talents - some talents have pre requisites. Some prerequisites are other talents.

press in game '?' 'm''f' this gives good list.

A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Hatefulgravey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, September 08, 2009 at 17:04 (GMT -5)

What is the heir gift? Do you have to take a talent to get it or what?

So angry BTW. I was playing around with different classes, I had a Dark Elf Ranger and found a alter early, managed to sac a pile of living, leveled fast and everything, ended up getting confused and put on that alter... sacraficed. I went back to reading and found out I was already lucky and smilled on, just silly. ADOM gets you everytime.
sorina
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, September 09, 2009 at 01:11 (GMT -5)

Heir is talent. Charming>boon of fmaliy>Heir all three lv1 talents.

gift dpends bards and thieves have reasonable, most others probably not.
Hatefulgravey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, September 09, 2009 at 10:52 (GMT -5)

Thanks a bunch.

Old guy in village wants me to kill a giant lizard to prove myself blah blah blah... Where can I find one? This character has killed a grand total of 3 so far, and I can't remember where. I'm guess he picks a monster at random, so what if he picked something crazy hard to find/kill? I would name something, but I have been careful to read only how to play, not too much what is coming next, and I have no real idea what crazy powerful monsters are coming.

EDIT:
Also, how does a character that can't read identify items? Is there some way other then scroll/spell if identify? I know you if you see an item you know if from then forward, but you can't see everything, there will be rings and such in tha game you will need to know about.

I know I have a pile of silly questions, but thanks for answering them so far. You have been a great help. I'm enjoying the game more already.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 9/9/2009 at 11:42 (GMT -5) by Hatefulgravey]
Sorina
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, September 10, 2009 at 03:34 (GMT -5)

dwarven kills - mostly big room. Giant lizard is not even bad. If you doing stuff reasonable way [aka don't run in forest] that is the only monster kill on his list.

Illiterate ID... well, the only way is to sell and rebuy. freaking waste of money.
Priest in dwarftown will Id healing potions if you have enough piety.
There is some ways aka
http://ancardia.wikia.com/wiki/Material_based_identify for advanced users.
Although installing lietracy is not that bad, just find that lizard...
Hatefulgravey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, September 10, 2009 at 11:12 (GMT -5)

Found the lizard, had to get through the forest, this story ends poorly, but I learned alot with this character. I was advised not to attack the trees, and not to cast fire spells in this room a long time ago, I didn't do that, but I did get beat to death. I prayed and was healed 3 times from almost death, they still got me. I have never made it through that room, so this will be the focus for the next character. Thanks again.
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

4997 days, 1 hour, 26 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, September 11, 2009 at 02:03 (GMT -5)

treasure hunter talent requires the talens alert and miser. alert is only available when you're creating your character, so if you pass it then, you cannot get treasure hunter. alert by itself isnt a great talent, so only pick it if you want treasure hunter.

i dont attack the trees in the forest at all, just equip my best defense gear, set tactics to coward, and crawl my way across the room. IF my attack is good and a hostile tree is blocking the way, i try and kill them. invisibility helps in the room.
Taz: A potion of gain attributes (4s) is lying here. Suddenly a stone block hits your head! Something on the ground is smashed to pieces!
PeanutGod: Awwww no! How harsh is that! This is where you need the artefact 'mop and bucket'.
Hatefulgravey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, September 14, 2009 at 11:12 (GMT -5)

If the down staircase in the same place all the time? Seems likely you would have a hard time finding it with all the trees moving around and what not.

Is treasure hunter worth it?
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

4997 days, 1 hour, 26 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, September 14, 2009 at 23:04 (GMT -5)

the staircases in the forest are always in the same place.

treasure hunter is a matter of preference. i usually go for it.
Taz: A potion of gain attributes (4s) is lying here. Suddenly a stone block hits your head! Something on the ground is smashed to pieces!
PeanutGod: Awwww no! How harsh is that! This is where you need the artefact 'mop and bucket'.
Hatefulgravey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, September 15, 2009 at 15:53 (GMT -5)

I know [+x +y] is [+DV +PV] so what is the (-x -y) that sometimes comes before the DV PV on an item?

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 9/15/2009 at 15:57 (GMT -5) by Hatefulgravey]
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3088 days, 17 hours, 58 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, September 15, 2009 at 16:33 (GMT -5)

To-hit with melee weapons and to-hit with missiles.

Armor restricts movement and all that.
A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
Hatefulgravey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, September 16, 2009 at 13:33 (GMT -5)

I really enjoy playing my elemintalist. Burning hands rocks face. Trouble is I would like to be able to use herbalism. How can I learn this? Don't want to have to wish for it.

I guess I can pick them. ID them and bless them but that would suck, and would that ID the bushes too or just the picked herbs?
AshenPlanet
Registered user

Last page view:

3149 days, 11 hours, 53 minutes and 23 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, September 16, 2009 at 21:20 (GMT -5)

If you do the druid quest from the starting city instead of the village elder quest, you can get herbalism, or or if you already have herbalism, you can get gardening.

Lumine
Registered user

Last page view:

4904 days, 17 hours, 13 minutes and 9 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, October 19, 2010 at 19:15 (GMT -5)

hello! i have a question ...
i been playing a gray elf wizard, i'm level 11,
the thing is i been losing some of my spells... idk.. maybe using them too much? i lose firebolt and acidbolt (can't remember the name)... why?
Jbc
Registered user

Last page view:

4880 days, 10 hours, 54 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, October 19, 2010 at 23:01 (GMT -5)

I believe the only way to lose spells is too much casting and not enough memorization. I don't think there is any other way to lose spells.
Jbc
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, October 19, 2010 at 23:05 (GMT -5)

Try alternating the bolts spells you use. Don't rely on any one of them too much. At the the start at least. Eventually you'll want to use magic missile & burning hands almost exclusively. As they don't destroy dropped items.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 10/19/2010 at 23:05 (GMT -5) by Jbc]
Lumine
Registered user

Last page view:

4904 days, 17 hours, 13 minutes and 9 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, October 20, 2010 at 09:31 (GMT -5)

mmm i think is that... but i can't found a lot of combat spellbooks... i found bless, strengh of atlas, controlled TP, etc., and just fire blast, acid blast, acidball and burning hands for combat =S
Rachael Donovan
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 at 15:29 (GMT -5)

That's one of the drawbacks of being any sort of spellcaster - you're at the mercy of whatever spellbooks you find! Usually wizards find them more frequently though :P
Jbc
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, October 22, 2010 at 13:07 (GMT -5)

Try to make more use of your spear.

Having two bolt spells should be plenty for starting a wizard out. If the mobs are taking a lot to kill you may be doom and cursed.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 10/22/2010 at 13:08 (GMT -5) by Jbc]
Ozma777
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2013 at 03:56 (GMT -5)

This is the way I usually play (now that I am a bit more experienced)

Start a character go directly to the small cave (or SuperMarioCave as I keep thinking since it says SMC at the bottom when you enter it)

Set tactics to aggressive (push T then + once)

(I keep playing assassins so I have scurgari's and I double wield some of the daggers I find in the SMC but other characters would do well too with the stuff that is in that cave just don't stay very long in the SMC if you want to live out your low level character)

Try and get the waterproof blanket and pick up every item that is generated there or is dropped by monsters.

DESPARATELY try not to die and find the stairs down. Go down until you find another stair going up.

Proceed to the High Mountain Village and hope no wicked strong monsters get auto generated in the town.

Buy and sell equip there to get gold and really good weapons/armor/spellbooks

Search the left side of the town for the stairs back to the worldmap.

Then go into the CoC (the dungeon slightly lower and to the left from where you come back to the world map) the CoC is the main dungeon that has the arena and the dwarven town.

If I lose the character along this journey I consider it an act of mercy and start again.

Also if you seem to be missing monsters a lot or the game doesn't seem to be kind to you SAVE and restore or go upstairs then back down. RNG means everytime you enter a dungeon or a stairs (I think) but definately when you save and restore the random number seed changes (which affects your game play, item generation, pool drinking, etc)

And NEVER go into the forest of trees without that quest being given to you first (otherwise there is no reward). I usually do tactics coward (the only time I set it lower) and try not to run into ANY trees even if you have to backtrack when an opening in the trees presents itself. Make your way to the top left for the stairs down. (at least usually you don't have to go back through the trees) Also I found Iceball (or other ball spells except fireball) to work really well if you are getting hit and need to get away.

Also I just found out you can "bookcast" so try and read the spellbook again and "c" cast rather than "l" learn. That will conserve the times you can cast the spell but also will not make you more experienced with the spell. I usually go back and forth a bit so I get experienced but still have over 100 castings left. Be careful though! bookcasting takes more magic points, so high level spells can instakill you by draining your HP lower than zero.

I am also still a newbie, I just started and completed the pyramid for the first time and finally was able to enter the Tower of Flames and not die within a few turns (leave your burnable stuff in the CoC. Mostly I had been playing Nethack or Slashem (Slashem a lot now since I am modifying and compiling my own version of it). But now that I found ADOM Slashem seems kind of inferior.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: