Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / help please

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Flamnace
Registered user

Last page view:

5277 days, 3 hours, 52 minutes and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, October 30, 2009 at 08:45 (GMT -5)

I need some sage advice. I recently took my human monk for a journey over the mountains to retrieve a certain artifact ring. Things were going just fine until a tornado of corrosive acid desintigrated my only climbing set. Now I'm trapped in the corner of the map. I assume I will have to just keep slaying monsters in hopes that one will drop me a climbing set. My question is, where should I stay for the best chabce of this happening? I am level 20 now, with a ring of invisibility under the elemental gauntlets. I've got plenty of stoma, so food shouldn't become an issue. Are the cavernous levels of the tomb my best bet? Should I wander around the wilderness? If it helps, I got an alter on level 1 of the tomb and I'm acquiring good amount of gold from dead monsters. Any help would be greatly appreciated, since this is one of my more promising starts. Thanks all.
Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'.
liptick
Registered user
The elf lover

Last page view:

5245 days, 14 hours, 14 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, October 30, 2009 at 09:44 (GMT -5)

the only thing i can say with certainty is DO NOT try to find a climbing set in the wilderness, that would waste food faster, and bring ambient corruption to a more dangerous level. as for which of the dungeons to choose... I'm not sure, but I believe at lvl 20 your options are limited...

that's some rough luck... gotta avoid those vortexes.
Twinge
Registered user
Communist in Disguise

Last page view:

5194 days, 15 hours, 3 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, October 30, 2009 at 13:50 (GMT -5)

Yeah you're basically stuck with only the High King's dungeon and The Rift (if you have 100 Climbing). Monks are pretty awesome in general so you might consider trying the rift if necessary, but stash up that 50k nestegg of gold before you consider it. If you go through the rift I'd suggest taking a lot of caution - you have the ability to run away with your low Monk energy costs; avoiding dangerous encounters entirely is recommended.

You might even just skip the library for now, though that's up to you. The wise choice would probably be to get the climbing set and get out, but I'd probably be pretty tempted to hit up the library on the way myself ;) Ideally you could at least zap some monster detection and get an idea of what you're facing to know if you should flee the area.

Climbing sets have a low Danger Level, so the closer to the surface the better in the High King's as far as finding them in general goes - so probably stick to the first cavernous level.

So yeah I guess my plan of action would be building up 50k+, perhaps stashing any truly valuable items on the High King stairs (e.g. AoLS), load up on some other junk arrows, etc. and then jump into the rift and head down to find the trader. Don't be afraid to generously apply monster detection (or any other preventative or informative effect, like Magic Mapping); you want to find him before something else has a chance to kill him and also be aware of threats.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4239 days, 8 hours, 7 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, October 31, 2009 at 05:42 (GMT -5)

Twinge is spot on here - get the gold, drop into the Rift, and find that ratling fast (I've had him killed before by other monsters and I was NOT happy). Note that you don't need a climbing set to fall down the Rift, though obviously you'll suffer some equipment destruction. It can be a tough area so really go all out in using up every resource you have - you'll get more later.

If you don't want to try the Rift (or don't have 100 Climbing) then I'd suggest scumming the first HK cavernous level for a RoDS. Extensive pickpocketing helps. Beware of things like spider factories and jackals turning uber. Can be quite dull, but you should be safe enough, and by the end of your scumming session you should be quite pumped in extra items and weapon marks.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Flamnace
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, November 02, 2009 at 10:00 (GMT -5)

Thanks guys. Very helpful. I looked into my options and I only have 65 climbing. Sucks. Guess I'll just be spending a lot of time in UC 3. I'll update if I can find a way out (or die trying).
Twinge
Registered user
Communist in Disguise

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, November 02, 2009 at 12:12 (GMT -5)

This thread also serves as a good reminder to drop your climbing set at the stairs of the first floor when you enter - something I usually forget to do too...

Good luck - you'll only have to generate some 5500 odd items before you get one on average ;O

Now if you want to get really creative you could also try dipping some tools in raw chaos, which is dangerous but could work. If you have the Moon Sickle on you then you can create raw chaos on demand, and in the Wilderness you can safely dip fluff balls, any ingots except iron, boar skulls, golden balls, logs, or writing sets (:P) without risking massive corruption.

You have pretty meager odds (something around 2.2%) since all the keys and several other things are all low-level items too, but I'd say it's worth a couple tries if you have the sickle and a hatchet to make logs with, or spare high-level ingots and such.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 11/2/2009 at 12:13 (GMT -5) by Twinge]
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4239 days, 8 hours, 7 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, November 06, 2009 at 12:47 (GMT -5)

Another tip I heard from someone oncce - if you haven't uncovered the water dragon cave yet then have a wade through the water squares next to the High Kings dungeon. There's a chance that you'll find a wish or a climbing set inside her cave, which you can nick with a bit of darkness.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Flamnace
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, November 13, 2009 at 15:54 (GMT -5)

Hey guys. Been a few days. For anyone interested, after walkin around killing anything hostile for about 4 EXPERIENCE LEVELS, I got a stone giant to drop a climbing set! Long story short, went on to achieve my first win after about 7 yrs of on and off playing. It was a regular win with wands of destruction, but very exciting none the less. Reached level 50 before I got to D50. After closing the gate, I went around a mowed down a few monsters for fun before being cleansed of all corruption and leaving to live happily ever after. Ready to start again. Thanks to all for the advice.

Twinge
Registered user
Communist in Disguise

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, November 13, 2009 at 20:49 (GMT -5)

Very nice! Glad to hear it was worth the tedium of finding a new set.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: