Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / challenge mini xpxp

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 2 pages long.
Go to page 1 2
BonghBaya
Registered user

Last page view:

7887 days, 11 hours, 42 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2002 at 04:11 (GMT -5)

i just got this idea from the game yesterday... i finished my trollish assassin at level 26 and started wondering what is actually the limit how much experience you have to get during the game. after all, there's not that many monsters you *have* (or *you* have) to kill...

i killed all the orb guardians myself (got from lvl 20 -> 24 from NuuragVaarnBaarn) but only a couple of grues on each temple and IIRC (4 in the morning =) no earth elementals at all (it was a pain transporting them up/downstairs etc.). D50 meni kikkaillessa with the door + monster creation wands.

anyways, it'd nice to know if anyone has had a similar game... i'll post the flg later on.

mYh34Df E3L5liK3aFRiSb3e
Portrait
Dougy
Registered user
What is the deal with cards?

Last page view:

5820 days, 7 hours and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2002 at 01:58 (GMT -5)

I've had similar thoughts. I can't think of any reason why it isn't possible to complete it without killing anything, however playing the game with 20 hp would be exceedingly difficult.

I been taking drakeling bards (natural talent with music) straight to bugville, then getting killed about 100 times, before i managed to tame one. However once you've got one they can kill almost anything.

Adomer from Australia.

DougyDougy - Dougy - DougyDougy
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3746 days, 2 hours, 53 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2002 at 12:38 (GMT -5)

The Pacifist Challenge? It would be extremely tough. Maybe not as tough as Eternium Man, but extremely tough. Are there experience level requirements to complete a normal game?
Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Tha Messiah
Registered user
Angel of Death

Last page view:

7767 days, 16 hours, 11 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2002 at 13:18 (GMT -5)

Not bad.Nice idea for a new challenge game.

THE MESSIAH,I'm here now,Worship me.
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5755 days, 23 hours, 44 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2002 at 13:23 (GMT -5)

20 hp? I think I've had characters start with more than that. What would be the typical hp of a level 1 character with Toughness and Willpower both at 99? Also, your maximum hp goes up when you drink blessed potions of extra/ultra healing.

The pacifist challenge has been done in Nethack - the strategy seems to involve armies of powerful pets. However, in Nethack experience can be gained without killing anything, and in the later stages of a normal game, usually is. Is there any way to gain xp without killing stuff in ADOM?

I don't know much about ADOM pets and companions, but I think the ToEF might be a problem because most companions wouldn't survive there.
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2002 at 13:42 (GMT -5)

HP of lev. 1 char with all stats 99 is about 100-200.

You can gain xp by disarming traps, I think. Not much, but you can.

ToEF is *possible* with lev. 3 fire resistance and one or more high-level fire lizard companions. Training the lizard in the Big Room, then lower levels of the ToEF, ought to get it tough enough to take on fire drakes, then grues/demons. It would take a long time, and I haven't tried it, but I think it's possible.
Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Dougy
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2002 at 18:01 (GMT -5)

I had a killer bug not take any damage in there until the final level. A scroll of familiar summoning in the last level would be good if ya got a fire giant king.

It is possible to get experiance other ways... just not easy - disarming a trap just gave me 82 xp (i don't believe there's any affect from the type of trap).

Another way is sacrificing live creatures, i consider that to be possible in the pacifist challange because you're not directly killing the monster. Your divine companion is.

I can't think of any other ways - perhaps training and giving the gladius to bart would help.

Adomer from Australia.

Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

5653 days, 6 hours, 13 minutes and 23 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2002 at 00:43 (GMT -5)

also pickpocketing gives xps. plus there was the "mystery xp" that i had a while back, where i gained enuf xp to advance a level simply by taking a step, when there was nothing else in sight.

ivan.sourceforge.net
BonghBaya
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, February 18, 2002 at 09:07 (GMT -5)

once i got lucky in DH2, ?oFS resulted in female greater titan, she wasn´t bothered about ToEF or the air temple (and she also did ok damage =). with a companion like that i´m sure it´d be easier. the greater claw bug / killer bug thing sounds good too, i'll have to give it a try. altough if you manage to survive let's say on level 3 until very late game i couldn't think of anything more frustrating than getting killed by a single stone block / ceiling trap...

BTW pouring holy water on Griff's grave should give some xp, i guess. (oh, just remembered it shows up as a kill in :k )

mYh34Df E3L5liK3aFRiSb3e

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 2/18/2002 at 09:09 (GMT -5) by BonghBaya]
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 at 00:11 (GMT -5)

I just tried the pacifist thing, and my trollish bard completed the puppy quest in about two days without killing anything. Unfortunately the puppy was dead, but what do you expect if the dumb dog decides to take up residence in the same room with a dark elven wizard?

This particular bard was luckily born in Raven, so he got a Cave Bear. I trained the bear in Terinyo by killing everything but the sherrif, elder, druid, shopkeeper, tiny girl and one farmer (out of habit mostly). (Yes, it was ruthless. "You order the cave bear to slay the female child"...) By then the cave bear had leveled up a couple of times and could handle everything in the Puppy Cave, though I had some close calls, especially that dark elven wizard. (Did you know how slowly cave bears heal?!!) As soon as I found two shields, I wielded them both to avoid accidentally killing something, and of course I was on Coward the whole time. After the puppy cave, I had two companions--the bear (now moderately experienced and named "Pooh") and an ant that refused to leave me alone until I played some music for it--and one XP, from sacrificing a goblin rockthrower. I expect it to get much more difficult, though; this char probably won't last too long, but it's still fun.

A side benefit of staying at level one all the time is that the SMC will never have rats that can kill you in one hit; and your god will love your sacrifices.
Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Crimson King
Registered user

Last page view:

6311 days, 8 hours, 47 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 at 01:12 (GMT -5)

What about crowning(s)? And a question to crownings too... So can you get crowned when you're at level 1? I suppose not but... well...

Joka vitsaa säästää, saa kaatumataudin
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 at 01:58 (GMT -5)

sure you can. why couldn't you?
i recently had an altar load in the SMC right next to the down staircase. did quite a few sacs on it b4 deciding i couldn't risk food problems and decended. what would be nice would be an altar in the SMC right next to teh *up* staircase for anyone with survival. sac lots of monsters, get hungry = go up and survive. *g* especially when you get around lvl 50, saccing lvl 100 goblins would prob get annoying for your god (would they even accept them?) but too bad for them *g*

ivan.sourceforge.net
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 at 02:00 (GMT -5)

Until some undead/unlife creature decided to smack you into the hereafter...
Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 at 04:24 (GMT -5)

Iridia, are you chaotic? It just occurred to me that it would be immensely amusing to sacrifice the Orb Guardians on their own altars if you are.
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 at 14:26 (GMT -5)

Yes, but I don't think that's possible. Don't you get some message about it being more useful to the god to sacrifice yourself?
Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 at 21:54 (GMT -5)

thats from trying to sac little whimps when you're high level and chaotic.

ivan.sourceforge.net
adomer2
Registered user

Last page view:

8028 days, 18 hours, 35 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2002 at 01:49 (GMT -5)

i doubt you could get those guys to stand on an altar. maybe if you used a wand of door creation on every square that isn't occupied then teleport him to the altar. sounds boring though. i wish large items could block hallways, that'd be useful
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2002 at 18:18 (GMT -5)

Hey, I think I've got the hang of it... but one problem has come up. Trolls start chaotic & I haven't got Healing. How to change alignment? I have yet to find a neutral or lawful altar.
Die Gedanken sind Frei

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 2/21/2002 at 18:18 (GMT -5) by Iridia]
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2002 at 20:22 (GMT -5)

doing the puppy quest and the carpenter quest are both quite lawful acts. also giving food/gold to beggars and seeds to farmers are lawful. but if you get tired of tryig to get neutral, you can always get healing from the mad doctor...

ivan.sourceforge.net
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

18 hours, 11 minutes and 54 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2002 at 22:02 (GMT -5)

Jepp, beggars are a good option. about 30 cooked lizards took my dark elven necromancer from CN LN (was wearing the amulet of order too).

Guess finding enough food and money can be a problem in itself though if you are not going to kill anything...

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Portrait
Dougy
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2002 at 22:59 (GMT -5)

It'd make life easier if companions attacked things without having to be told to, or noticing the monster attack the PC.

Adomer from Australia.

Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, February 22, 2002 at 01:29 (GMT -5)

Currently on my third real try at this minimum xp thing. Got some questions.

1. Do you still get the sherriff's amulet of order if your companion kills Hotzenplotz?

2. Food and money are really no problems (except for the usual troll stuff); I'm not running around not killing stuff, I'm running around ordering things to kill stuff for me. Which brings me to another question: Is your Food Preservation skill applied to things your companions kill?

3. Speaking of gold... a Pacifist can sell all missiles, weapons, and offensive wands/spellbooks they find. No money problem. Main problem is skill increases: How to take Pick Pockets from skill level one in order to learn Climbing and trap detection? I actually ended up successfully pickpocketing once, with a skill level of only two. Still, it would take some time. (No, I don't have any rare, valuable scrolls of education! This is a level 1 char. with 11 experience points total!)
Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, February 22, 2002 at 02:41 (GMT -5)

i'm not sure; however i've found out the mini-xp thing is called "Titanium Man"; Bonghbaya, you should go to the ADOM Domain & submit your dude there. not sure on the addy, but theres a link somewhere on Andy Williams' site.

ivan.sourceforge.net
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, February 22, 2002 at 04:30 (GMT -5)

Have you tried the Pacifist challenge with anything other than a Troll? Gnomes start with the Pick Pockets skill, and could gain xp from using it.

If you get 82 xp for every trap you disarm, and if disarming it with the Disarm Trap spell counts (does it?), then someone who knew the spell could gain several levels by untrapping a trap-filled room.
Portrait
Dougy
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, February 22, 2002 at 23:32 (GMT -5)

Nope, no xp gain from using the disarm traps spell...

"You start to page through the ornate tome. You feel hollow."

Does anyone know what "You feel hollow." means, or have seen it before ???

Adomer from Australia.

Jedik
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2002 at 03:18 (GMT -5)

And what about closing chaos gate? It gives you some xp :)

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 2/23/2002 at 03:21 (GMT -5) by its autor]
BonghBaya
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, March 05, 2002 at 07:49 (GMT -5)

trolls and dark elves can get to CN by saving the puppy and bringing the woodpecker to the healer (alignment rises when jharod heals yrrigs), which is especially good for trolls (with low enough learning in the first place).

i tried that (raven) drakish bard + greater claw bug thing, it really works. at least to me it seems to be the easiest start to complete the game. and with a little luck you can get pick pockets and other useful skills (ventriloquism could yield some xp too?).

mYh34Df E3L5liK3aFRiSb3e
VirRe
Registered user

Last page view:

3829 days, 13 hours, 39 minutes and 18 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, March 05, 2002 at 10:05 (GMT -5)

I have really good suggestion to get xp from not killing any creatures. If you find a good trap u can lure the creatures in it and finally they die and you get the xp (then you dont actually kill the creature).
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, March 08, 2002 at 06:54 (GMT -5)

The "win with minimum xp" version of this challenge is interesting to think about. Would it theoretically be possible to win with 0 xp? Probably not, but what is the absolute lower limit?

Jedik said that closing the gate gives some XP. He didn't say how much, but I imagine that killing Andor Drakon yourself gives much more. But what happens if your companion kills him? You need tons of XP to get the Trident, so that's out, but I'd guess you can get the Sceptre by having a companion kill MaLakai.

So if your companion kills Andor Drakon, do you become a Chaos God, or does he/she?
MIndstorm
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, March 08, 2002 at 09:19 (GMT -5)

It's impossible to to take your companions to Chaos Plane level. Therefore, summoned ones should be too weak in order to finish ElDeR ChAoS GoD.

Sorry, name should be
Mindstorm (typo)

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/8/2002 at 09:20 (GMT -5) by its autor]
Go to page 1 2

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?