Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Fullscreen ADOM solved (Linux)

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

eggsome
Registered user

Last page view:

4510 days, 13 hours, 13 minutes and 16 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2011 at 08:00 (GMT -5)

Many years ago when I first started playing ADOM on my Win95 PC I found it nice to run using the DOS fullscreen mode.
I wanted to recapture that feeling, but with the added convenience of being able to switch between workspaces (1 for ADOM, 1 for Guidebook and 1 for Notepad).
This is complicated by the fact that all computers use LCD screens with different resolutions.
In essence what I thought I wanted was a fullscreen OpenGL XTerm, that would stretch the 80x25 chars to whatever the current res was.
Nothing existed to fill this need, so I commissioned someone from ELANCE to do the job. (It ended up using Cairo rather than OpenGL).

May I present:
vga-terminal_0.3.0_i386.deb
And for those with the inclination or interest here is the source code:
vga-terminal_0.3.0_source.tar.gz

It features:
  • Fullscreen operation (stretched to your desktop resolution)
  • Oldskool VGA font for that classic feel
  • Compatibility with workspace switching (CTRL+ALT Right arrow, ect.)
  • Packaged conveniently as a .DEB for Ubuntu.

I've only tested this with Ubuntu 10.10, however the developer tells me that it should work with 11.04 and 11.10 too.
    Notwithstanding my irritation with others hosting apps and projects from forums I think this is the most viable option. Both because it will reach the intended audience and the lack of time I have for maintaining a proper website.
    I hope this is useful to a number of people. I know I love it.

If an Admin feels that this will be worthwhile, it might be nice to Sticky this thread.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 11/22/2011 at 08:15 (GMT -5) by eggsome]
  • Portrait
    Jan Erik
    Administrator

Last page view:

3 days, 4 hours, 38 minutes and 51 seconds ago.
    Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2011 at 14:13 (GMT -5)

Sounds nice, don't rely have any Linux boxes up and running to test it out on myself these days, but I'll give it a sticky.
    Jan Erik Mydland
    HoF admin
    misterid
    Unregistered user
    Posted on Monday, February 04, 2013 at 15:47 (GMT -5)

I just use DosBox and the ms-dos version. Also takes care of the color bug I have.

Color mixer:
    Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
    Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
    formating help
    Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
    Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
    Poll question: