Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Questions about altars.

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

404 not found
Registered user

Last page view:

3855 days, 15 hours, 41 minutes and 18 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, September 18, 2013 at 07:32 (GMT -5)

Let me give you an example of my problem, say that I am a lawful priest, and I find a neutral altar, and I want to convert it to lawful, so I sacrifice a live neutral creature(like a bat or rabid dog) so that the gods will have a punch up and my god will win. That's the outcome I always expect. I know that the character level and amount of piety counts towards conversion but my god never gets into the fight, its ALWAYS the chaotic god, then I convert the altar to neutral, then I try again, and then its chaotic AND I'm neutral.

So how do I get the lawful god to take the altar?
What is it that I'm doing wrong? Plus I would like to know what the gold trick does.

Sorry if it looks like I'm demanding or anything, it's just that I would like a straight answer.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 9/18/2013 at 07:56 (GMT -5) by 404 not found]
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

4 days, 20 hours, 57 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, September 21, 2013 at 17:32 (GMT -5)

I'm a bit rusty on the subject. Have a look at the ADOM guidebook chapter on altars and alignment though, should clear some things up (some mild spoilers).
Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
404 not found
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, September 22, 2013 at 01:19 (GMT -5)

Thanks for the link to the guide, it was very useful. Off topic though, I have some gameplay questions about surviving, how do non-hurthling wizards or priests avoid starvation without being burdened with food?

And how do I increase the chances of a priest starting with a spellbook that actually HURTS monsters?
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, September 22, 2013 at 11:06 (GMT -5)

Well being burdened makes you hungry faster so generally avoid lugging around heavy rations (maybe buy and eat right away etc).

Other than that it's just general scavanging and not having around the same area for too long.

Making a dash for the arena level after the early game quests is usually a good idea. Stock up on cooked lizards from the vendors there, good food value for low weight. Later on you'll probably find some herb patches where you can stock up on stomafilia and you are pretty much set to never worry about food again.

Starting spells are pretty much just a coin-toss, can't do much to affect it AFAIK. If you complete the druid quest you get a book of frost bolt, but it's not the easiest quest if you already don't have any offensive magic. Priests are a "caster" class, so they will find more books in general so you usually find something usefull before long.
Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 9/22/2013 at 11:09 (GMT -5) by Jan Erik]
404 not found
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, September 22, 2013 at 16:58 (GMT -5)

Yeah, I once ate a herb that had a name very similar to stomafilia that increased my need for food. Thats how I lost my most promising character, do non-hurthling races find rations more often? Also, do you know of a way to make a trip through the unremarkable dungeon less difficult? The small cave is no problem (just enter at level one and hope for the best).
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, September 22, 2013 at 22:36 (GMT -5)

Ah well yes, was probably cursed, cursed herbs are bad. Need to get the b/c/u status identified first (altars can help with that).

Not sure about food drops, think it's more or less the same. Some skills can help though, food preservation makes corpses and stuff last longer before rotting.

As for the unremarkable dungeon just skip it until later. Find the stairs in the small cave without leveling up too much if possible and then leave. The small cave is a bad place to hang around past level 5 or so, new monsters get exponentially more powerful based on your level, but existing monsters don't power up, just new ones that spawn so if you avoid killing stuff and just dash for the stairs it's usually not a big deal to get though, and the unremarkable dungeon will be easier (only the small cave have the crazy monster level scaling).
Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
404 not found
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, September 22, 2013 at 23:27 (GMT -5)

Apparently the herb that lead to my death was stomacemptia, and I thought that races that are not draklings, orcs, or trolls just vomit up any corpse that they eat? Also, don't uncooked corpses cause disease?

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 9/23/2013 at 00:50 (GMT -5) by 404 not found]
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, September 23, 2013 at 07:29 (GMT -5)

Most races will eat most corpses (except regular rats, worms and such), it's one of the main ways to pick up stat boosts and special instincts (general rule of roguelines is "you are what you eat", strong monsters (ogres gians etc will make you stronger and tougher, "fire" type monsters will make you fire resistant etc).

Kobolds always make you sick cooked or not, don't eat those (unless you are very desperate and have a reliable way to cure disease anyway).

Basically just need to experiment, the effects are not random (well except stat boosts happen more rarely if you start is already high), so you can learn what to avoid though trial and error :P

Cooking stuff makes it last longer, nourish more and weight less, but won't prevent any bad effects inherent to the monster type.

If a monster has a special attack (corruption, paralyzation, petrification etc) eating their corpse will generally cause the same effect, usually not a good idea.
Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
404 not found
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, September 23, 2013 at 16:38 (GMT -5)

Thats a lot of helpful info, thanks, just curious though, but can you give me a link on good class combos? And what is your opinion on druids?

And on another subject, can you tell me where and what the arena is?

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 9/23/2013 at 19:02 (GMT -5) by 404 not found]
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, September 23, 2013 at 20:12 (GMT -5)

Depends a lot on play-style. I like gray elven wizards, but they are extremely fragile. Stuff like dwarf priests, orc paladins can be good. Troll healers are pretty hilarious regeneration tanks, but food is a big issue for them.

Druids are good, I tend to prefer wizards or priests though, having (most) animals neutral to you can be more annoying than useful, they keep getting in the way and killing them makes you chaotic.

The arena is a fixed feature somewhere between level 3 and 5 in the caverns of chaos (the main dungeon). You can fight in the arena against increasingly hard opponents for some gold, or buy food off the ratling traders milling around (cooked lizards give best value, fried bats are ok the rest is just trash). Each trader carry a small supply, but they re-stock if you hang arouhnd on the level for a while (fighting in the arena or whatever).
Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 9/23/2013 at 20:14 (GMT -5) by Jan Erik]
404 not found
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, September 24, 2013 at 01:50 (GMT -5)

Yeah, my kind of play-style is if I use a spellcaster, then cast like mad until the monsters dead, then rest up a little to regain PP, unless another monster shows up, in which case I kill them with magic or run away if I can't.

By the way, if I don't have enough PP for a spell and cast it anyway, do I get a stat drain along with the health? Like angband for example.
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, September 24, 2013 at 07:51 (GMT -5)

In the 1.1 versions casting from HP will negatively affect your Mana attribute, but since using PP normally trains it up in the first place the effect is not that horrible as long as you don't overdo it.

In the 1.2 versions HP casting has been "nerfed" and will now negatively affect not only your Mana but Toughness and Willpower as well which can be quite bad. Though there is a herb that increase both willpower and thoroughness so if you find a good supply of those it will counter act the effect nicely.
Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
404 not found
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, September 24, 2013 at 16:07 (GMT -5)

What races do you think would make a good priest?

I use a Hurthling most of the time, but I think a change would be interesting.
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, September 24, 2013 at 16:28 (GMT -5)

I've had moderate success with humans and dwarves. Can't rely on offensive spells so something a bit though is useful. If you don't mind being chaotic orcs work too (even trolls, but it takes a while before they can use spells worth a damn).

Hurtlings are not too bad either, that rock throwing skill boost let you kill stuff from a safe distance most of the time, even without spells.
Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
404 not found
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, September 24, 2013 at 18:05 (GMT -5)

I perfer to use lawful. I will take a look at dwarves, do they start with a pickaxe and gemolegy though?

And what use is metalurgy for non-weaponsmiths?

Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, September 24, 2013 at 20:50 (GMT -5)

Don't think so. Gemology is a gnome thing and I don't think any class start out with a pickaxe.

Metalurgy is pretty much completely useless, even for smiths.
Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 9/24/2013 at 20:54 (GMT -5) by Jan Erik]
404 not found
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, September 25, 2013 at 02:05 (GMT -5)

But they are good with battleaxes and hammers right?

On another topic, do you run this website?
And I am so sorry if I am constently pestering you with these questions, so if you are getting annoyed, then I can just stop here if you want.
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, September 25, 2013 at 07:12 (GMT -5)

Not aware of any particular bonus with any weapons, but they do start with an exe and some decent armor.

Yeah I run it, not much happening these days. Don't rely mind the questions (you can google at lot of it though), nice to see something other than spam-bots around here from time to time :P
Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
404 not found
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, September 25, 2013 at 16:05 (GMT -5)

That would explain why I see a lot of posts that have a scramble of letters and a link.
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, September 25, 2013 at 19:18 (GMT -5)

Yeah they are quite prolific. Block a lot with filters, but this latest wave is mostly too random so have to delete hundreds of posts a day.
Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
404 not found
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, September 25, 2013 at 23:05 (GMT -5)

I suppose that's to be expected when you run a forum.
Spartan Spartacus
Registered user
Hulk of the Trambled Trouble

Last page view:

3545 days, 14 hours, 37 minutes and 32 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, October 28, 2013 at 10:03 (GMT -5)

Altars are quite double-edged and need some understanding of the deity logic to use effectively.
Converting:

- Use:x altars affinity vs players aling vs act of sacrificing a live, vs item/gold depending on total experience value. Determining acts aling vs that of players or deities involved.

-USE PIETY LEVEL vs character level vs total experience value of sacrifice

-Determine live sacrifice aling vs altars aling vs
players aling vs players piety to deities involved

So, do not sacrifice creatures of the same aling as you or that of the altar's (chaotics in chaotic altar is less risky than most at low levels).
do not sacrifice non hostile creatures if not convertin to chaotic.
Depending your level sacrificing either moves altars aling or yours.
At low levels and deity levels it is possible to throw spins like a Michael Jackson with the aling altar converting.
You can annoy the converted altar's deity to summon hostile creatures depenting on your level and piety levels.
Still all this is worth it in the form of Holy water.

Yours true
And there i was, just minding my business when suddenly someone shouted-
--STOP TIEF--

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: