Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Lots of Questions

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Jack
Registered user

Last page view:

7811 days, 16 hours, 28 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, March 23, 2002 at 20:25 (GMT -5)

Though i been playing for about 4 months, won only 4 times but still trying and i have got lots of Qs to ask. So here comes the Qs! Hope it is not too much.....
1)Can one upgrade the fire resistance from L1 to L3?
2)What does it mean by the attack doesn't penetrate the defense of the creature? [i am referring only to weapons like frozen, flaming, of lightning]
3)Does lust for glory, golden girdle of the emperor, cat's claw still exists?
4)Do only dark sages corpse give literacy, what others also give literacy when eaten?
5)Do chaos brother, sister, servant, plague bearers leave corpse?
6)I have eaten the ogre guardian corpse, and it give +1 to Str, does it curse/doom me?
7)Have anyone ever gotten a vampire as a pet?
8)Does minotaur lords, mages, kings really give any stats increase? [i know that emperor got give + to stats.] [I have eaten a bless minotaur lord corpse with a dwarven priest but no + to stats. But i read somewhere in someone over here the guidebook and it says that there is increase in stats.]
9)Does the ring of immunity really give +5, +5 in DV/PV?
10)I have know of a idea to get blank scrolls, talking to the rattling rebel, he will give you the tattered scroll, just talk several times with him and get those scrolls. Then dip it in holy water to bless them for use in magical writing set.
11)Will wearing of necklakes like rapid healing melt in the ToEF?
12)Can one's DV/PV exceed over 100 together?
Last but not least, the one somebody must really ans.
13)What exactly does 7d3, 3d4+10, 1d10 or 2d3+5 stands for in weapons????? I still don't get it, what i know is that both as high as possible is a great weapon.

" Our task must be to free ourselves from the prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty." -Albert Einstein
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

5656 days, 4 hours, 52 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, March 24, 2002 at 01:14 (GMT -5)

i'll answer # 13:
the first number is the number of dice rolled. if you have a 7 there, the computer will roll 7 "dice".
the second number is the number of sides on each dice. if it's a 3, the computer will roll 3-sided "dice".
the third number (if it's there) is added to the result from the previous two.

thus, a weapon that deals 3d4+10 damage will make the computer pick three numbers from 1-4, add them up, then add 10. an easy way to look at it is that the first # plus the third # is the lowest damage you can deal, and the first # times the 2nd # plus the 3ed # is the most.
but it's not quite like that really...

1d11+1 and 2d6 have the same base and max damage; however, the 1d11+1 has an equal chance of getting any number from 2-12. on the other hand, the 2d6 has a good chance (7 in 36) of doing 7 damage, and only a 1 in 36 chance of doing 2 or 12 damage. IMHO in this situation I would rather have the 2d6 damage.

ivan.sourceforge.net
Portrait
Crimson King
Registered user

Last page view:

6314 days, 7 hours, 26 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, March 24, 2002 at 05:27 (GMT -5)

1) Yes you can, just eat a red dragon corpse or something like that.

2) The lightning/frost/fire doesn't deal anough damage to harm the <foo>

3) Don't know about that... if they exists, I haven't found them yet.

4) dark sages just reduces literacy, black wizards gives literacy, can't remeber the others...

5) Nope

6) not a clue

7) I haven't... yet, now I'll have to try it.

8) not a clue

9) I haven't ever thought that it could give DV/PV... Have to test it too.

10) Have to test it. :)

11) if you have blessed ring of ice, no they don't... If the necklase is blessed and you're blessed, there's good changes to the necklase to survive... If the necklase is made from stone (or smthng else as long it's not metal), it won't melt.

12) Of course they can.

I hope my answer gave you some knowledge you wanted...

Joka vitsaa säästää, saa kaatumataudin
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

3 days, 16 hours, 50 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, March 24, 2002 at 12:48 (GMT -5)

Crimson King: cursed dark sage corpse do reduce literacy, but blessed ones (I think also uncursed) do grant the skill if you don't already have it (I haven't experimened that much with it though).

#6: The Ogre guardian corpse does not curse/doom you.

#10: I'm pretty sure he'll only give you one of those pamphlets.

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Portrait
Tha Messiah
Registered user
Angel of Death

Last page view:

7770 days, 14 hours, 50 minutes and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, March 24, 2002 at 14:34 (GMT -5)

I'll answer the ones Crimson didnt answer

3.Cats claw still exists.My thief got crowned with it.
6.The last time I did that it didnt curse or doom.It drew my alignment to c though
8.Most Minotaurs increase Perception but it isnt worth it.The first time I went there I ate a lot of corpses because I was low on food.
9.Yes the RoIm gives +5 Dv and Pv just as the ankh give +2 dv pv.A hidden feature.
10.What Jan said.No use dipping in water.

THE MESSIAH,I'm here now,Worship me.
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3749 days, 1 hour, 32 minutes and 27 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, March 24, 2002 at 16:26 (GMT -5)

Nope, the Ratling will give you as many pamphlets as you like. I once trapped him in a corner of the arena with a wand of door creation, then talked to him for a couple days (game time). I sold the scrolls at a scroll shop for over 10K GP. I know, I know, shameless scumming...

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, March 25, 2002 at 00:33 (GMT -5)

hmm, can scrolls be turned blank by dipping in water? never really tried, figured they'd just be destroyed, cus thats what happens when you get them wet by other means.

ivan.sourceforge.net
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, March 25, 2002 at 00:55 (GMT -5)

With enough water and the ratling, you have a supply of blank scrolls that equals your water supply. It needs to be normal water, not holy or unholy, as those will bless and curse, respectively. Get several dozen pamphlets so they'll stack and you can dip more than one. The scroll, when dipped, will be erased and ready for your literary efforts.

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Jack
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, March 25, 2002 at 01:28 (GMT -5)

Right, thanks everybody who answer my big Qs....
Now i know the damage,thanks duke.
Cat's Claw still exists-me surprised. Thanks messiah.
Now i know of red dragon steak and black wizard meat,thanks Crimson king.
The Ogre guardian is a fleshy creature known for its juicy meat but it isn't a big thing after all unlike the Oracle.Thanks Jan.
Right,Iridia. U are a clever, thicked-skinned scumming scroll expert. Just kidding. =)
Now i can continue my experiments.......a newbie experiment.Haha.

Hmm, THa Messiah, how do one get to know of the DV/PV in ring of Immunity and BLack Torc. ? of great identify doesn't work, am i right?

" Our task must be to free ourselves from the prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty." -Albert Einstein

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/25/2002 at 01:33 (GMT -5) by Jack]
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, March 25, 2002 at 01:51 (GMT -5)

Oh, no offense. I'm an expert at scumming and cheating of all sorts. Some are so nasty you don't want to hear about them, you poor newbie you. (and this from the person who hasn't won fair and square yet... though that may change soon) Luckily it hasn't spoiled ADOM for me yet!

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Mindstorm
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, March 25, 2002 at 06:40 (GMT -5)

Interesting thing about ratling rebel (1.0).
C'hatting with him when being C results in blinding you with a nasty spray and an accusation of being an animal eater.
Ls and Ns get a pamphlet, or when after murdering of arena master, scroll of peace and a congratulation. It's a little chaotic act, though.
Portrait
Crimson King
Registered user

Last page view:

6314 days, 7 hours, 26 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, March 25, 2002 at 15:32 (GMT -5)

Hmm... Jan, have you tested that dark sage corpse thing? Check the manual (or was it FAQ), there it says that eating a dark sage corpse reduces literacy, IIRC... That DV/PV is easy to find out... Just check your DV/PV before you wear that ring of immunity, and check your DV/PV when you're wearing it... notice the difference?

Joka vitsaa säästää, saa kaatumataudin
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

3 days, 16 hours, 50 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, March 25, 2002 at 17:16 (GMT -5)

Not exactly tested no, but I'm 90% sure I have gained literacy (as well as see invisible) from eating a dark sage.

Maybe it works simmilar to the rings of the fish thingy. If you don't have swimming even a cursed ring will improve your chances in water, but if you have a deacent swimming skill a cursed ring will reduce your ability...

Maybe it's a case of drawing the Literacy skill toward a mediocre value, a non Literate character will gain the skill, while a Literate one will experience a slight reduction in the skill. If the corpse it cursed you can loose the skill altogether though (if your score is lowish)...

I'm starting to become uncertain myself, but I'm almost sure I have had illiterate characters gain Literacy by eating dark sages...

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, March 25, 2002 at 18:06 (GMT -5)

i know i have.

ivan.sourceforge.net
Jack
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, March 25, 2002 at 19:02 (GMT -5)

Right me too, i have gain literacy from dark sages too. Oh, i see the differences that lies betweeen DV/PV. Scroll of peace and congratulation, Oh is it? I must try then, it will be fun. Hmmm, Iridia are u referring to Jan as he hasn't won yet but got lots of ideas and joy in playing ADOM?

Portrait
DaC
Registered user
Duh..

Last page view:

8038 days, 1 hour, 28 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, March 26, 2002 at 06:01 (GMT -5)

I have too, cursed corpses dont give literacy, uncursed may, blessed gives always...

Duh, troll juice..

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: