Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Wands, Wishes, and Willpower

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 2 pages long.
Go to page 1 2
Portrait
Ragnarok
Registered user
Cat

Last page view:

7923 days, 16 hours, 24 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, April 07, 2002 at 18:49 (GMT -5)

Okay I have three questions to ask

1. Whats the maximum amount of charges you can add to a wand when you recharge? (Using the wizard ability). Is it based on Mana, blessed, cursed, etc?

2. Can you even recharge wands of wishing? I tried, but I failed repeatedly. Is there a requirement, or is it impossible?

3. I cleared out the bug temple, got my willpower drained and dex maxed, but now I need to raise my willpower again so I can climb down the deep rift. What's a good method to get it from 1 to say 20?
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

4 days, 5 hours, 56 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, April 07, 2002 at 19:56 (GMT -5)

1) Don't know, I've never used that ability...

2) Nope can't be done, we are talking wishes here. What you find is what you get.

3) Give a obcene amount of money to the dwarven traider and train willpower (actualy getting from 1 to 20 doesn't require THAT much money).

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Jack
Registered user

Last page view:

7812 days, 5 hours, 33 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, April 08, 2002 at 02:46 (GMT -5)

1)No ideas...

2)Yuh, like jan said, it cannot be recharged.

3)Or use morgia roots.[herbs]2 per consumption.

" Our task must be to free ourselves from the prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty." -Albert Einstein
Ragnarok
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, April 09, 2002 at 19:56 (GMT -5)

I just visited the library with my level 35 wizard and got the wish spellbook. After I ate a stomafillia herb, went down to satiated, and ate a blessed stomafillia, read the book and went all the way down to starving without achieving anything. Do I have to have an extremely high learning? (I have 30 and maxed literacy). What are the other factors that could contribute? Or since I am a troll and use twice as much food, is it merely impossible for me?
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, April 09, 2002 at 20:02 (GMT -5)

Try drinking a few potions of thoughnes/boost thoughnes or betzo potions after you have become Bloated! Scrolls of satiation can also be used...

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Portrait
Crimson King
Registered user

Last page view:

6314 days, 20 hours, 32 minutes and 29 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 at 00:37 (GMT -5)

1) not a clue
2) I second Jan and jack
3) Couple potions of exchange and good luck (not in game luck) helps you out.

Joka vitsaa säästää, saa kaatumataudin
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5759 days, 11 hours, 29 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 at 04:09 (GMT -5)

About reading the spellbook of Wish: artifacts and items which grant invisibility increase your food consumption, so if you have any of them equipped, remove them before trying again. Or you could try reading it in a "rich flavour" room, but I'd worry about hostile monsters coming in.
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3749 days, 14 hours, 38 minutes and 10 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 at 08:53 (GMT -5)

Lock the door! :)

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
BM
Registered user
The Necromancer

Last page view:

7756 days, 6 hours, 51 minutes and 41 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 at 10:23 (GMT -5)

eat to bloated, drink blessed potions of toughtnes, naked only with your spelbook and just read. Literacy 100%, Lerning hmmmmm I once read learn Wish with Le about 60. And PC must haven't teleportation powers

"Insect, we care not for thee. Disturb us any we will extingwish thy weak candle of life"
Crimson_Fox
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 at 19:21 (GMT -5)

Try dipping the spellbook into a potion of holy water. Blessed spellbooks are easier to learn.
Portrait
Dougy
Registered user
What is the deal with cards?

Last page view:

5823 days, 18 hours, 44 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 at 19:26 (GMT -5)

Ok i been working on the wizard class skill - it doesn't cost anything aslong as the spell works. However there are some restrictions.

How many charges would you like to invest into the normal wand of digging (2 charges)?
Is the prompt given when trying to charge a wand.

If you go beserk and type about 20 or more you will be killed... in a new death message, now updated (:

Anyway here's how it works (for a medium level wand, magic missiles, digging, cold, knocking) -

If you type a low value somewhere between 1-5 (depending on the strength of the wand) you will get that recharge without fail, without loss of anything valuable (you do lose some PP but they regen, if your out of PP it wont reduce HP).

If you type above that from about 6-10 it will drain mana (and you will only get the amount of charges that works before it fails - so there's no advantage really)

If you type more then this it will explode and do damage to you (quite a lot too), byebye wand.

However if you use a wand of light, low level you can get about 10 charges safely without fail. Wands of destruction can't be recharged, and i assume WoWishing cant be either. Wands of wonder and teleportation get about 3 charges.

The biggest catch of all is that wands can only be recharged once.

Another thing i noticed is that the amount of charges possible to recharge a wand to is reduced if the wand already has charges. Perhaps there's a certain value for each type of wand.

Adomer from Australia.

DougyDougy - Dougy - DougyDougy

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 4/10/2002 at 19:27 (GMT -5) by Dougy]
Portrait
BM
Registered user
The Necromancer

Last page view:

7756 days, 6 hours, 51 minutes and 41 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 at 19:27 (GMT -5)

Heh eeeeeeee it's natural and clear we speak about read only blessed spelbook of wish:)

"Insect, we care not for thee. Disturb us any we will extingwish thy weak candle of life"

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 4/10/2002 at 19:46 (GMT -5) by BM]
Kurupt
Registered user
Random ADOM player #56326

Last page view:

7982 days, 33 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, April 13, 2002 at 15:21 (GMT -5)

I learned wish with a level 1 necromancer,I think it was,thanks to a potion of wonder :).It was called 'Divine Intervention',and I didn't know that was wish at the time,so I tried casting it and took my health down to around -2700(before you mention it,I didn't check the spell's pp...very stupid..)

Woman : If I was your wife,I'd poison your coffee.
Man : If you were my wife,I would drink it.
Requin De La Croix
Registered user
Undead Slayer

Last page view:

7970 days, 11 hours, 36 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 at 05:41 (GMT -5)

When casting the spell of wish, you should be aware that it removes 10 points of random attribute. So You really should considerate using it. I had a wand of wish(5 charges). I ran out of things to wish. I dared not to save the wand for the later stages, because, I feared that the wand would get smashed in an explosion or something like that. Finally there were some stupid wishes like fireproof blanket. I already had one, but I was going to the tower of eternal flames, so I wanted some extra ones, because they are consumable. I was really pissed, when I realised that none of my blankets were consumed after the ToEF.

"Se parhaiten nauraa, jolla on vahvimmat lääkkeet"
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

5656 days, 17 hours, 57 minutes and 54 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 at 14:36 (GMT -5)

rings of ice are better: they don't burn away.

ivan.sourceforge.net
MangaFox
Registered user

Last page view:

7592 days, 4 hours, 27 minutes and 17 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2002 at 03:44 (GMT -5)

Actually, they do. They have a very small chance of burning away, but they can burn away. But they are much better than fireproof blankets though.

Bug-lover since 1.0.0
FEILOS
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, July 24, 2002 at 15:17 (GMT -5)

It takes like 5280pp to cast wish...so even if your like LV50 you'll still die from casting a dumb spell, it's best if you can find a wand or a pool or RoDs.
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, July 24, 2002 at 16:30 (GMT -5)

But Wizards and Priests get spell cost discounts (L50 prists get 50% off) at higher level's and there is also Silverlight and Darknight wich reduce casting cost for lawfull and chaotic casters respectively...

So under the right sircumstances it's quite possible to cast the spell... Though some scumming to buff up the character is probably required (wand draining and such).

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
J.
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, July 30, 2002 at 06:51 (GMT -5)

Just a thought: if you had the mana battery corruption and drained a lot of wands you could possibly get enough PP to cast wish without needing to resort to using HP. BDC would be a good place to collect loadsa wands (and booze to recharge them).
Thoth
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 at 17:30 (GMT -5)

Where is the Library?
Arakon
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, October 12, 2002 at 15:01 (GMT -5)

I think there is actually an alternate way to climb down the rift, but I wouldn't recommend it; I heard somewhere that if your perception is low enough, you can climb down no matter what your willpower is.
Junnu
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, October 13, 2002 at 13:11 (GMT -5)

Hmm ... by the way, someone mentioned about rings of ice. I've always had problems finding one, and never have I survived the tower without it. So, is there ANY place where it can be found or gained or is it just another random item?

Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3111 days, 1 hour, 23 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, October 13, 2002 at 14:00 (GMT -5)

It's a random item. Can be wished for ("rings of ice" gives about 3-5 of them), bought in a ring shop or "all-in-one" shop, droped by a monster, found lying on the ground etc.

A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
Portrait
Guinea
Registered user
tWo-HeAdEd cHaOs WeAsEl

Last page view:

6962 days, 23 hours, 32 minutes and 18 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, October 13, 2002 at 14:57 (GMT -5)

And it usually does not appear, just because it is a very helpful item. You can get many of them, but just AFTER you left ToEF :))).

Junnu
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, October 14, 2002 at 10:34 (GMT -5)

Not just AFTER ToEF! I found one IN the ToEF (after I had wished for them) :)

But it's very true, they just don't appear :)

But one thing I have noticed: unidentified they are always "mithril ring", am I right?
SuperLobster
Registered user
The Mad Monk

Last page view:

7703 days, 3 hours, 3 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, October 14, 2002 at 12:03 (GMT -5)

I've found them undescribed as iron ring, agate ring, etc. rarely the same undefined type in each game. The only item that I have found that seems to keep the same unidentified description is the Girdle of Giant Strength (Bulky Girdle)...
You want to fight? Fight me! HAHAHA
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3749 days, 14 hours, 38 minutes and 10 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, October 14, 2002 at 19:28 (GMT -5)

7LB.

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Junnu
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, October 15, 2002 at 00:41 (GMT -5)

What the ...? Are you sure? I have never seen ring of ice be anything else than mithril ring! I always pick up every ring I find, and every time ring of ice has been mithril ring.

Glass amulet = amulet of light
bone amulet = prot. from undead
all girdles are the same
all cloaks are the same

or am I totally lost here? :)
SuperLobster
Registered user
The Mad Monk

Last page view:

7703 days, 3 hours, 3 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, October 15, 2002 at 09:45 (GMT -5)

It's true! I've had most item types come up under different names from game to game. A few, like the girdle in my last post seem to stay the same (and the Glass amulet does always seem to be an Amulet of Light, like you noted). I noticed this because I was trying to write down what each item and it's unidentified desc. so I could refer to it from game to game, instead of waiting around for a scroll of identify or the Dwarven Elders quest.
Has anyone else noticed this or am I going to the looney bin?
You want to fight? Fight me! HAHAHA
Lurker
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, October 15, 2002 at 10:55 (GMT -5)

At least some items change from time to time. Somtimes it might be a bit frustrating too, finding out that your two ordinary rings that you've found with your lvl 13 char are really rings of damage not the other kind...

With girdles I think the descriptions can vary, rarely, but the weight is the same, eg. a girdle weighing 7 is a girdle of greed, 15 is a girdle of carrying or of strength, etc.

But at least weapons and armor don't change :) That brings up another question, what's the correct form to use on these boards, armor or armour?
Go to page 1 2

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: