Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Are older versions harder?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5738 days, 5 hours, 18 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, April 11, 2002 at 08:27 (GMT -5)

Here's a question for the real ADOM veterans: is version 1.0.0 substantially easier or harder than older versions? I was discussing ADOM with someone who'd never played 1.0.0, and it occurred to me that I had access to a lot more SoCR than he did.

• The Bug Temple is new to version 1.0.0, and it's pretty much guaranteed that you'll be able to clear it out at some point, at least if you have enough magical ability to cast bolt spells. (Has anyone done it with a pure fighter?) That gives me 6 guaranteed SoCR.
  • The Dwarven Mystic may give you 4 SoCR if you're neutral. The Guidebook implies that he used to give everyone non-chaotic the axe. (Since my friend likes playing lawfuls, he'd probably get the axe every time in whatever version.)
  • Khelavaster will give you 6 SoCR if you manage to save him. This has been possible for a long time but not always (not in gamma 9, according to someone on the newsgroup).

So in a worst-case scenario (can't find an AoLS and the mystic gives me useless stuff), I still have a heap of 6 SoCR (which I don't find enough to live on). In a best-case scenario, I have 16, which is plenty even if I do the black unicorn's quest. My friend gets 6 if he finds an AoLS and none at all if he doesn't - I don't know how he manages to survive. Yes, he likes lawfuls and I like neutrals, but how great is the difference in corruption rates?

On the other hand, I hear that 1.0.0 is harder in other ways, because loopholes are constantly being found and closed. E.g. it used to be possible to teleport shopkeepers out of their shops without making them hostile, and now it isn't. Also, dipping things into potions of raw chaos used to be perfectly safe before the nasty explosions of chaos were introduced.

So... which versions do you find easiest and hardest?
Portrait
Crimson King
Registered user

Last page view:

6293 days, 14 hours, 22 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, April 11, 2002 at 09:09 (GMT -5)

Hmm... I started from gamma 14 but I wasn't so good player then so I can't just compare them to each other...What comes to that bug temple, it's easy to clear it out with a pure fighter... Darkness (and invisibility, if possible)is everything you need, if not the spell, then heaps of scrolls. But even a trollish barbarian can learn darkness, so...

Joka vitsaa säästää, saa kaatumataudin
Portrait
BM
Registered user
The Necromancer

Last page view:

7735 days, 41 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, April 11, 2002 at 10:37 (GMT -5)

Hmmm My friend Mindstorm started ADOM in gamma 9 Rolf's Companion [+12 To] and Sword of Nonnak [+8 Wi] were more powerfull, and wonderfull gold girdles of emperors.... But don't forget there was lots of bugs, and TB step by step add to ADOM new ideas..... Hmmmm in G9 was only special ending Chaos god, bug with non chaotic champion who can enter to Plane Chaos wielding ToRR and SoCh;) Ofcourse MoCh and CoCh to:) Ahmmm and the last si;) early it was very fast multiple in thousands

And Ekaterin
SoChR are guaranted in Library to, and PoCC for killing EM (Bugs vilage makes killing him more easily). And PoCC for corpses. Mistyc dwarfen for neutral PC offer or few blessed potions of Insight (trash!!!) with PoGA, or SoChR.... It's lotery in 1.00 I always get one guaranted item for him
Hmmmm Bug Temple.... Once I tryied my troll thief PC level about 25... Permament invisibility, to phase daggers.... With special power thief with more deadly backstabing skill hmmmmm if I hit and kill it was oki, but if I miss hmmmmmm TB thank you for PoEH and PoUH... Stay in corridor and never fight with more than one killer bug... After eating few corpses fight was more safe... In ADOM speed roolez.

"Insect, we care not for thee. Disturb us any we will extingwish thy weak candle of life"

[Edited 2 times, last edit on 4/11/2002 at 10:48 (GMT -5) by BM]
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5738 days, 5 hours, 18 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, April 11, 2002 at 11:16 (GMT -5)

How do you go about getting the weird tome from the Ghost Librarian? The Guidebook describes a complicated strategy involving eating a harpy corpse to make yourself mute, and luring him out of the library with the aid of a companion. Is that what you do? People on the newsgroup have occasionally claimed that they just went in (without being mute), stayed in there a while studying spellbooks, left, and talked to the librarian, and he gave them the weird tome, but I have never got this to work.

Since this thread is about differences between versions, when was the weird tome introduced to the game?
Portrait
BM
Registered user
The Necromancer

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, April 11, 2002 at 11:45 (GMT -5)

Spoiler

Ehmmm you must just stay in Library by 1000 turns with status MUTE. Eat cursed corpse of harpy it's grant you 1d1000 +200 turns MUTE..... But the best tactic is eat one cursed harpy and wait in Library by 500~700 turns then left.... Eat second cursed harpy... enter to Library and wait 500~700 turns... And when you eat 3 or 4 corpses than just chat with Ghost Librarian in Library. You didn't must left with him... But you must be mute by 1000 turns... When after 1000 turns GL didn't give you wierd book and just say you Psst... just wite few turns... or just kill everybudy in Library and picup all scrolls and books.... The best way to enter rift PC must have "quickling corruptions" and with only idispensably equipment 2000~3000 stones, with thick gauntles and one or two SoChR (unholy aura). cooked corpses of harpy and cursed scrolls of uncursing... And remeber you must cursed corpses one by one, before eating...

Hmmmm I don't know but in gamma 15 there was weird book

"Insect, we care not for thee. Disturb us any we will extingwish thy weak candle of life"

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 4/11/2002 at 11:47 (GMT -5) by BM]
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

3 days, 18 hours, 33 minutes and 19 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, April 11, 2002 at 19:16 (GMT -5)

It warries from version to version. Gamma 12 is IIRC "officialy" the easiest version in a long while (acording to the people at the newsgroup).

Artefacts where a lot more common for one (surges of power where quite common compared to now). The exp table, monsters and such have also been tweaked since then, and a LOT of "abuses" have been fixed (getting heaps of potions of booze off beggars, repeatedly hurting and healing monsters to scumm the healer for potions of extra healing and that sort of things). Stat boosting potions where more common, stat boosting herbs where more efficient etc etc.

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Portrait
BM
Registered user
The Necromancer

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, April 13, 2002 at 03:48 (GMT -5)

In early versions in infinity dungeon were shops:)))) And Vaults Greater to:) Gold ages of ID;)

Portrait
BM
Registered user
The Necromancer

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, April 13, 2002 at 09:30 (GMT -5)

And last but non least in Gamma 15 PC have all atacks on nonhostaile monsters backstab... When PC have two daggers he strike with double stab. Stab with one dagger and second stab with second weapon... In version 1.00 PC have only first strike like stab... In gamm 15 often PC have first strike only hit and second was stab:)

Portrait
Tha Messiah
Registered user
Angel of Death

Last page view:

7749 days, 21 hours, 45 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, April 18, 2002 at 01:38 (GMT -5)

Some other stuff.In g 12 you could drop your stuff anywhere.No monster could pick it up.Or was that some other version.
The best part of older versions was that you could teleport into the temples.

THE MESSIAH,I'm here now,Worship me.
Portrait
BM
Registered user
The Necromancer

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, April 18, 2002 at 10:17 (GMT -5)

Heh yeap but in Mana tempel there was no teleportation... In G15 in 100% no teleportation

Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

3 days, 18 hours, 33 minutes and 19 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, April 18, 2002 at 14:07 (GMT -5)

G12 didn't have the mana temple IIRC.

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
samiloop
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, May 13, 2002 at 09:47 (GMT -5)

1.0.0 is quite a few tons harder than the last version i tried - 0.9.3 or so. So many more places to go and roam in too. :P
Portrait
Dougy
Registered user
What is the deal with cards?

Last page view:

5802 days, 12 hours, 34 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, May 13, 2002 at 19:58 (GMT -5)

I play older versions from time to time and get a huge shock when greater molochs and balors attack my level 1 char. Then i realise these are just necklaces and tools.

Adomer from Australia.

DougyDougy - Dougy - DougyDougy

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: