Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Need Help From Expert

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Pickaplex0
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2014 at 17:15 (GMT -5)

I have a few questions... Hopefully this forum sees enough activity to have them answered in the next few days, but really I'd appreciate answers at ANY date. These are questions I don't feel are really answered by the wiki after reading it.

Here's what I have to ask:

1) So I've been playing for about a month now, and I've only just made it to the caverns of chaos for the first time (after about ~20 chars). I haven't hit the big room yet, but I'm wondering if I'm learning how to play at a reasonable rate? I want to be able to beat the game someday, maybe even do one of the special endings.

2) Can I gain knowledge of what a potion or wand is by using it on a monster? Or is that unwise/a waste? If it isn't a good idea, what is? Drinking/dipping random potions?

3) Should I be reading my scrolls of known B/U/C, even if I don't know what they'll do? Same question for rings. I can't think of any other way to utilize them...

4) My most important question is this: I've been playing Drakish Assassins, so I don't start with healing and have been doing the Save Yriggs quest. But the more I read of the wiki, the more I realize that w.o herbalism, the only way to raise my stats is through that guy in Dwarftown. Is this a wise trade-off for healing? Or is increasing stats pretty hard/expensive with said dwarf? Can my stats be increased to the same degree through training that herbalism does. Also, to get crowned most people sacc gold, but I'd imagine all my gold would have to go towards training.... (I always take miser)

5) Is increasing stats pretty much a prerequisite to making progress in the mid-game?

6) How can I kill Keethrax without getting cursed?

I'll probably make it to Dwarftown today if all goes well. I've really fallen in love with this game. I love the mechanics. I've always wanted to get into DnD and this is really scratching that itch. I always preferred single-player games anyways!

Thanks for any and all help!

Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

8 hours, 23 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 12:53 (GMT -5)

Won't claim to be an expert, but here goes: People will learn the game at different rates, so hart to pin that down. I used to hang out on the newsgroup a lot back when that was active and spoil myself on all kinds of nifty information and I still have not actually beat the game (come close a couple of times, but never won). I introduced a friend to the game and within a month he had beaten it with a dozen different charters...

Wands you can generally use to identify. Some precautions should be taken though, try to not stand in a spot where you'll get mudered by bouncing blots from those wards of ball lightning. Even if it's not outright identified in your inventory you'll get a good idea of what it does. Potions are trickier, yes some will affect monsters and give you an idea of what they are, but it's rarely helpful. I'd just hang on to options until I heave a scroll of identify or whatever.

If you know something is blessed odds are pretty good the scroll won't mess you up too much, and probably have a beneficial effect. Another "trick" is to see how many of them you have, more common scrolls are less likely to be bad for you in my experience, and scrolls of identify are pretty common too so chances are pretty good you'll hit a blessed identify scroll that way and the above mentioned problems are taken care of.

Herbalism is indeed very very handy. I would not say it's required though (but then again I never beat the game). Your classes primary stats will increase over time, and most stats can be raised to some degree from corpses, potions and such. And you'll still be able to pick herbs without herbalism, just at a much reduced rate. Personally I think good equipment trumps stat increases, though having more toughness for melee types or mana for casters are obviously always good.

I find Keethrax to be stupidly hard early on. I would avoid him altogether early game and return when you are higher level. Only way to avoid cursing would be to avoid melee or kill him very very fast I guess.
Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Pickaplex0
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 15:30 (GMT -5)

Thanks for such a detailed reply. Nice to have all these answers in one place. It's really appreciated. Can't wait to get back and play now.

Going to start as a troll healer to get herb (and for something new that isn't a drakeling). Hit dwarftown yesterday, and feel ready to get even farther today.

Thanks again!
SpartAn Spart-acus
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2014 at 08:02 (GMT -5)

If going with troll be wary of the chosts of all kind do not melee unless a lot of protection points. The Druid is for latter part for newbies as is puppy preferably after getting some stuff from dwarftown also get a light source with druid.
If you have an alingned altar and sack chaotics (just be carefull with black altars) you get pretty fast to point where you can bless water
after that just experiment with higest stack scrolls as no really bad scrolls are common. Eventually you get the identify. Great identify scrolls can tell you about items you are not sure about their use or bonuses/penalties. Do not drink unidentified potions and never drink black (color of the item) potions mostly identified as raw chaos. In big room find stairs and go down.Train your strenght By being burdened in cleared first four levels of caverns of chaos or better yet if you find herp farming level while waiting herps to grow. should you get a wish you might want to get herbalism orif you find education scroll get magical writing sets unless you want to save khelly or want pairs of seven legue boots (leque?). If you have hundreds of mana and health it doesnt matter if you are not wizard when writing scrolls.Educations are random so you might need to get as many your skills to 100 as possible before reading to get new skills. Give lots and lots of beggars 40 or 50 gold and talk in this order until they give you cursed booze lure that beggar to Place next to you while leaving village and get a hostile wildernes encounter (avoid jackals) get beggar killed By hostiles and do it again. Next go to terrinyo or whatever and gift the fool with booze(only one at time) he will then drop a random potion wich might be atribute potion you will not need herps with this method bless all gain atributes or potions of atribute before drinking. Difference between life and death in adom is play and learn. not kicking doors at front and dying to stone block trap is a matter of making the mistake enough times that it reach, not by reading of it. Using amulet of light instead of torch is stupid as it can be broken at worst time. Other stuff too but gotto gooooooooooo.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: