Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Stories / OOC commentary

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 11 pages long.
Go to page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Portrait
Iridia
Registered user
YASD

Last page view:

3753 days, 7 minutes and 17 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2003 at 23:16 (GMT -5)

I just posted on Arcanium (aren't you proud of me?) and... please don't ask me to explain the reasons behind what I just posted, because I have no idea what I'm trying to hint at! LOL... use your imaginations :)

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Andor Drakon
Registered user
uummm... ElDeR cHaOs GoD?

Last page view:

7297 days, 20 hours, 22 minutes and 51 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 at 06:52 (GMT -5)

3 nations, one ruler, um...

hmm...

er...

well...

After extensive research (five minutes) from rare sources (my history textbook), all I can come up with is a reference to that legend about Avalon, an island off Britain where three peoples were sposed to come from.

ChAoS iS cOmInG!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Portrait
Iridia
Registered user
YASD

Last page view:

3753 days, 7 minutes and 17 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 at 11:58 (GMT -5)

We can use that, or we can make up our own mythology... it's your choice :)

At any rate, we don't really need to reveal (i.e., make up) much more of the "world" for a while yet, if we don't want to.

Somebody needs to name the stranger in the next post... don't look at me; I get all my naming ideas from the Periodic Table or the solar system :)

BTW, don't mind me... I've had too much coffee. Again.

Die Gedanken sind Frei

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/15/2003 at 11:59 (GMT -5) by Iridia]
duke ravage
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 at 14:27 (GMT -5)

yay, postage. now it's my turn. errr...

i'll post next time i can, i'm very limited on the time i'm allowed on the computer and i'm trying to get in contact with my french teacher so i can re-take part of French 1... but i do have an idea. Either our heros are dressed "wierdly" (namely, in jeans & t-shirts rather than kilts, tights and whatever else they used to wear) or they aren't dressed at all. Whatever tehy are wearing, I doubt they're wearing the "standard" clothing for the area we're in. I suspect this hunter would remark on that.
Andor Drakon
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2003 at 05:29 (GMT -5)

Sry Duke, I stole your turn. Anyway, I just though you should put the rules about minor and major chars and recurring bad guys and all that stuff we invented on page 7 into the Rules thread.

And also if anyone was wandering how I got the name Dalinor, I just followed my usual process, involving reading all my books, writhing dwon all the good names in them, cutting them up and dumping them in a bowl, picking them up and arranging them in an order according to the phase of the moon, the book I read last, the number I just rolled on the die and my last char's score in ADOM.

ChAoS iS cOmInG!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

[Edited 2 times, last edit on 7/20/2003 at 05:36 (GMT -5) by Andor Drakon]
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Moderator on this forum
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

5660 days, 3 hours, 27 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2003 at 00:12 (GMT -5)

Turns don't exist. It's whoever feels like posting next. As long as it's done in a (relatively) timely fashion.

As for the minor charachers/recurring baddys etc., yeah, i'll think about it. I probably should. Thing is it's something dependant on the creator: does he want to allow minor chars, etc? Still, I'll probably put it in eventually.

Thats how you come up with names? Wow, complicated. I usually a) tap some random keys on the keyboard or b) make a sound that sounds cool/evil/whatever i'm looking for and write it down.

Hmm. I suppose I ought to post on Arcanium...

ivan.sourceforge.net
Andor Drakon
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, July 21, 2003 at 00:33 (GMT -5)

I know turns don't exist, but you sort of implied it was your go next on Arcanium. And yeah, sometimes I think of names simpler ways, but this way always seems to produce the best resulat.

ChAoS iS cOmInG!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Moderator on this forum
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

5660 days, 3 hours, 27 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2003 at 23:20 (GMT -5)

*reads his last post* Ahh. I see now. *pokes his eye* Er. No I don't. *g*

Hrm. What should I write... Maybe if I let it sit for a while I'll think of something...

ivan.sourceforge.net
Andor Drakon
Registered user

Last page view:

7297 days, 20 hours, 22 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2003 at 23:15 (GMT -5)

Oh god, now I'm the only one on.

SOMEBODY POST!

ChAoS iS cOmInG!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Portrait
Iridia
Registered user
YASD

Last page view:

3753 days, 7 minutes and 18 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2003 at 02:44 (GMT -5)

Yeah, according to our rules, the whole bunch of us is slacking terrifically...

...Not to mention that the Freak Story seems completely dead, despite that we've only got a relatively easy horde-of-orcs battle scene to write...

Is writer's block communicable?

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Ryan Klein
Registered user
Because I said so is why!

Last page view:

1652 days, 5 hours, 12 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2003 at 04:48 (GMT -5)

I do have writer's block. I haven't been able to write a damned thing in a long while.

Franky, I don't care who picks up the pace as long as someone does.

Lamaros
Registered user
The sieve

Last page view:

7166 days, 2 hours, 32 minutes and 3 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2003 at 02:22 (GMT -5)

I'll make the pace, I just need someone to keep up with me. Plus I feel a little more out of place joining in half way, so be accepting *grin*.
Andor Drakon
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, August 04, 2003 at 08:14 (GMT -5)

Ummm... hmmm. I can keep up with you generally.

There are a few things: Your'e not supposed to post in the "elite" threads ie: Arcanium and ADOM RP 2 unless you're either asked or it's generally consented.

You shouldn't post in a thread at all unless you ask first. It's not going to be objected to and we rather welcome anyone without writer's block, and I personally feel you can join Arcanium (have to ask Duke and Iridia too though), but it's jsut common politeness.

Try to obey the new rules made up by mostly Duke and slightly me in page 7 for Arcanium. THat seems about it.

Oh, and you need a main char. I guess you can share Dalinor in Arcanium but I'm not sure about Freak Story and you'll have to ask Duke in ADOM RP 2 if you want to help in that too.

ChAoS iS cOmInG!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Portrait
Iridia
Registered user
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, August 04, 2003 at 14:27 (GMT -5)

Hmmm, we're getting a little elitist... Lamaros's posts are perfectly good posts. Okay, so maybe asking for permission would be nice, but he didn't exactly butt in and say, "And suddenly 5,0000000 balors appeared and killed everyone." THAT I'd be mad about.

ADOM RP 2: Several of us have two characters... check the ADOM RP 2 board and check which ones are extra. Fire and Konan, I think, have been taken by someone who already has a character.

Arcanium: You don't have to add a character necessarily. I'm controlling two characters, Jennifer and Andrea... you can take one of 'em if you like. I'll describe 'em for you; take your pick...
They're twins, and pretty much telepathic between them. Andrea is blind, and her special powers (I'm starting to lean towards mental/druidic stuff) are starting to come out. Jennifer's basic instinct is to protect her sister, though it may end up being the other way around more than once. She will eventually share some of her sister's powers to a smaller extent, though I'd also like to get her some archery training.

Freak Story: Who's Laenril's owner?... Are they still around?... There's always the possibility of taking control of several minor characters in turn--Jharod or Balak, for instance.

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Lamaros
Registered user
The sieve

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, August 04, 2003 at 21:35 (GMT -5)

*blushing*

Sorry for jumping in like that, I'll go back and read through some earlier pages of this thread (didn't go through all 8, as I didn't realise they were to do with specific threads).

I'll make up a new character for Arcanium, pending Duke's approval. Wasn't really sure about the way stories were run, thanks for being nice about it and not yelling at me.

Update: Some confusion about the main character things.. You want only four, yet you already have five (Andrea seems just as significant at this stage as all the others). If you think it acceptable I would take over one of the girls, kill her off, and replace her with someone related to the killing. But Iridia might object to that, so please reply with what you think. Deaths provite alot of scope for character changes and added depth, plus gives the story a puch out of the begining "explorer" stage into trouble and strife.

Such a thing would have to be paced though, she wouldn't die right off, it'd have to be built up to.

Anyway, reply with your comments and the like, and accept my apologies for my rudeness in entering without permission.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 8/4/2003 at 22:05 (GMT -5) by Lamaros]

Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 at 01:07 (GMT -5)

I didn't mean to be elitist or anything, I was just notifying you to some small things. THere are only 4 "major chars" allowed in Arcanium, but Andrea is a "minor char" and you can have loads of them. In ADOM RP 2 everyone has quite a few chars as there are 6 of them (Meridon, Fire, Konan, Vexander, Runeva, and Iridia), and only 3 people in it.
Lamaros
Registered user
The sieve

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 at 02:14 (GMT -5)

Ok, I posted a new response. If you don't like it or I'm overstepping my bounds just me know and I'll delete it.

If you like it, I'd like to keep "the man" as my character and have him join in. I don't know if you want to do this though, as that means Dalinor or Willard would have to become a minor character to fit in the 4 character limit.
Andor Drakon
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 at 08:34 (GMT -5)

Remember that as a general reminder : In Arcanium we don't want any more major chars who know a lot about the world and the action focuses on them; the whole idea of Arcanium is having our-world people dumped into another world. If it's 90% other "native" characters, then it loses the idea. Oh, and Dalinor is minor now I suppose, in order to incorporate your char, Lamaros.

ChAoS iS cOmInG!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Portrait
Iridia
Registered user
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 at 13:12 (GMT -5)

A magic-user is a good idea, anyways, if you want one of the boys to learn magic.

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Moderator on this forum
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

5660 days, 3 hours, 27 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 at 18:11 (GMT -5)

Not Josh.

Sorry i've been away, my mom's been giving me lots to do and my french teacher has been moving hard and fast. Doing a year of French 1 out of a college textbook in 2 weeks is pretty brutal.

If i can come up with anything, i'll post on Arcanium. I've been toying with a few ideas, but need to pick one and formulate it some...

By the way, is anybody feeling like posting on ADOM RP2?

ivan.sourceforge.net
Lamaros
Registered user
The sieve

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 at 21:37 (GMT -5)

Ok, about my recent post, the story in general, and Relthe.

I'm thinking these 6 can head south together as a group for the time being. Dalinor can impart some knowledge on the trip, we can run into a few creatures, etc.. Then Dalinor can head off by himself and do his important antics in the city, while the rest of the bunch remain mostly ignorant and explore (mentaly, physicaly.. etc).

Background and information for Relthe:

Arrogant street youth who was lucky enough to join the wizarding guild, despite having scant talent in that regard. He can only do a few basic tricks and most of them require magical items to work properly. If you try to get him attempt something tricky(which he will, he's over-confident) he'll probably stuff it up. Without his white glass ball he's mostly useless in that regard. He is smart, but became over-confident when he joined the wizards and recieved their education, and definatly bit off more than he could chew without having any idea what was going on.

Though confident and capable he's ignorant about much of the happenings in the realms. He hasn't traveled outside his birth city before and is reacting by switching between over-confidence and fear. He's dealing with his persecution rather well though, don't you think.

He can fight well with his daggers, and has three of them. One on each hip which are very high quality and magicaly protected (he splurged when je joined the wizarding guild), and one in his boot. He has little else but the clothes he's wearing and his magical ball.

I wouldn't mind writing up a bit of fighting practice with him and Dalinor. Perhaps the whole group can get a lesson from Dalinor on their trip?

To summarise: Street smart, confident, tough, insecure with high politics(mainly due to ignorance), arrogant and boastful at times, inept magical user. Tends to boss people around too.

UPDATE: Oh, and he's about 27.

A couple of questions:

Andor, do you have specific ideas about the world and the strife you're hinting at.

I'm thinking Deriough is a strong neutral city yet to get fully caught up in events, a bit more isolated and defensive.

Illdean is city with a strong wizarding base or ruling elite. Very open and cosmopolotan, but quite self important.

Sarvent. The seat of the ruler? The starting point for all the strife? Secrative?

I'm guessing that's what you're hinting at so far. Do you have specific ideas you'd like to go for, or it a case of 'lets all just make it up as we go'?

I'm sure there's more I forgot to ask, but this'll do for now. *grin*

Jennifer and Andrea haven't been saying much. I'm sure Jennifer has an opinion. Though Andrea seems rather easy going.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 8/5/2003 at 22:29 (GMT -5) by Lamaros]
Lamaros
Registered user
The sieve

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 at 22:49 (GMT -5)

Sorry for the double post, but I thought I'd beter put this up too.

Dalinor seems to be a knight of some repute. I made Relthe recognise him as a bit of an outcast knight, which give him his justification for not killing him or avioding him. Were he like the other knights (who were hunting him) it would seem a bit strange. Therefore I assume Dalinor is on a bit of an exile from the knights, though he still upholds there vows and traditions fully. Something of a cliche perhaps, but he seems to be the "good knight forced to leave his brothers when they are led down dark paths and single handedly try and fix all the evils of the world." He can have that auturistic self-importance, as well as the tremendous skill that goes with that. He seems -very- politicaly savvy, so that can fit in with it: He used to be in significant poistion before his own vows forced him to leave and undertake his current quest/journey/etc.

Would this be a good interpretation of his character so far?.

Also, with Willard's 'memories' I think the way I wrote that in is a bit plot-holeish, there's no way he could have memories of the knights and such.

To make it seem more credible perhaps he's picking up images from the world itself in some magical way, or has confused glimpses remaining in his memory from the process that transfered them to the world.
The first would tie in to him developing magical powers.

It's your call Andor, I hope I'm not talking too much. I just have a bit of time on my hands and I haven't been creative enough recently.

Oh, I think a OOC thread for this story would be handy too. *grin*

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 8/5/2003 at 23:03 (GMT -5) by Lamaros]
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Moderator on this forum
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 at 23:50 (GMT -5)

I'll add an OOC thread for the story once it hits 30 posts.

ivan.sourceforge.net
Andor Drakon
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 at 03:40 (GMT -5)

I'm aiming for sarvent as rather dangerous, wild nation, with most men living in a minor city not far in, and mostly the land is dangerous, Illdean as a once-powerful "good" land whose might is waning (that phrase is from LoTR), and the great magical powers and heroes of war have long died, and dissent is forming in it, aided by Jaegron, and Deriough as a rather neutral land but still honorable and good and all that. There is also the fact that only about 10% of the land of the Three Nations (which is only about 50% of the whole world) has been explored, and about 70% of it is dangerous, and so on. An dof course there are ruins from the old evil Empire, and even older ruins from the Age of the Unknown, and even older than that ruins from the Age of Legends, and ancient evil stirring, and so on. And so on. And so on.

And of course the "strife" is just general unrest, chaos, and a bit of war and destruction, caused by the "ancient evil stirring", the possibility of Pedzargh the False returning to life, and general such stuff.

ChAoS iS cOmInG!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Portrait
Iridia
Registered user
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 at 08:52 (GMT -5)

Re: Willard's memories

Someone must have brought the group into Arcanium; and quite possibly it was someone with the mark Willard saw. No plot hole there...

Die Gedanken sind Frei

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 8/6/2003 at 08:53 (GMT -5) by Iridia]
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Moderator on this forum
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 at 23:10 (GMT -5)

Mmmkay, I posted. Willard isn't the only one with memorys... except Josua can't remember his. (Yes, I am doing a bit of copywork... but imitation is the best form of flattery, no?)

I had an idea not long ago. our four (or at least Josua) were origionally from here (perhaps "leftovers" from the Age of Legends?) and got exiled or something to our world. Or maybe just their souls were, and implanted into new bodys. I don't nkow. anyway, somehow they got called back here, without any memorys, so that they could be "persuaded" to help the "bad guys" (i'm using a lot of "quotation" marks here. *g*). but something went wrong, and they were dumped in the forest where we found them. and now we're here.

ivan.sourceforge.net
Lamaros
Registered user
The sieve

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2003 at 00:37 (GMT -5)

heh, posted just before me. lets see if I can edit mine to fit in nicely.

If possible can we save some daylight for my next post? I have something specific in mind with Relthe and Dalinor showing off some fighting skills and the like. I can lead that into you writing about Josua's sword training if you like.

Duke. Maybe half of them can have been from here, and the other two friends they met in the other realm, or people who were just nearby when the "bad guys" tried to call them back. Possibly Willard is reacting really badly because not only did he resist best, but he's in a completely alien land. Josua dealt with his mostly with surprise, because his memories are of his previous life. Willard is just tapping into the mind of the person who moved him, or just some other magical sense he never had before.

This could lead to Jennifer and Andrea being the same person, from paralell universes, which could explain their bond. Andrea being like Josua, of the world, and Jennifer being new to it all.

Actually, maybe Jennifer was called into the realm when they tried to summon Andrea, due to an error in the casting. Andrea and Josua might have been exiled together, where they met Will, who was pulled in with them. Jennifer was in a seperate realm alltogether but pulled in because of Andrea.

Because the summoning magic went all wrong, it's affected their memory permenantly to semi-permenantly, and changed them( Will having magic, Andrea having her senses all changed, Jennifer and Josua ??)

Reasonable ideas?

[Edited 3 times, last edit on 8/7/2003 at 01:35 (GMT -5) by Lamaros]
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Moderator on this forum
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2003 at 02:07 (GMT -5)

Yeah. they sound pretty good to me.

ivan.sourceforge.net
Andor Drakon
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2003 at 02:07 (GMT -5)

I'd say stick to our starting premise : all from the same world, Earth. They got transferred by an evil guy, (because of...?) and almost all their memories apart from the most basic ones were destroyed by the everchanging turbulent mass of power that exists between the planes, but his concerntration was broken and they ended up in the wood instead of the citadel of evil.

Lamaros, what the **** are you planning to do with that log?

ChAoS iS cOmInG!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Lamaros
Registered user
The sieve

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2003 at 02:15 (GMT -5)

We have a problem. Was late afternoon before the hill leaper was eaten, since then they've been walking for at least 4 1/2 hours.

It's not plausable. I'll edit mine down to make it dusk or something though. It might do.. though that's one really long day, and in reality you always make camp at least an hour before dusk. Setting up camp in the dark is something Dalinor would never do.

Alternativly/as well. I think the Idiria said the late-afternoon bit, after Jennifer passed out for most of the day. No one else has made specific mention of the time of day since then really, so that could just be changed to mid-day.

It doesn't matter what the starting point is. Just so I know and don't make them say something unplausable though. For now I'll take it as from earth, with a few visions they recieved when they were summoned, which have since been repressed along with all their earthly memories.

I thought someone could be creative with it. *chuckles madly* Though possibly has has some flasks of acidy stuff in his pack, which he is going to use to corrode the log into specific form. The idea was that there were still a few hours of light left to do stuff because Will made them stop early, and the log would tie into this. I'll come up with something for it if you want. He had magical healing potions, I'm sure he's equipped with other wonderous stuff.

Will is asleep(dreaming?), Andrea and Jennifer off looking for wood, and Relthe off by himself looking for wood too. They can do stuff without having to worry about what Dalinor is doing just yet.

They need food though, I'll have Relthe hunt something down (most plausable solution).

Fight/training scene will have to be put off to another day.

I write too much? *smile*

[Edited 3 times, last edit on 8/7/2003 at 02:38 (GMT -5) by Lamaros]
Go to page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: