Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Stories / OOC commentary

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 11 pages long.
Go to page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
duke ravage
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 18:31 (GMT -5)

Seems like very few people are writing here these days; it's mostly just me posting my own short story-ish stuff...

C'mon, you guys. I know you can write. Show me.
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Moderator on this forum
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

5661 days, 2 hours, 31 minutes and 29 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, May 21, 2004 at 19:37 (GMT -5)

nice, Cela. do you have any more?

ivan.sourceforge.net
Portrait
Celavi
Registered user
...rawr.

Last page view:

7015 days, 21 hours, 55 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, May 21, 2004 at 22:13 (GMT -5)

Thank you!
And yes, if you're referring to the poem that I wrote- I do have more. I'll try to dig them up and post them here sometime.

Amusement spread across his sultry lips as a feminine hand touched his. "What?" A faint voice trailed along the wind and whispered into his ears, drops of sweat dripping down to the soil followed by heavy breathing and panting. "Nothing. I just like the way you taste."

"Hey," a female voice interrupted. "Stop talking to that glass of orange juice. You're freaking me out."
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Moderator on this forum
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, May 22, 2004 at 01:01 (GMT -5)

while poetry may not be my strongest subject... nor my favorite... i still like to read it every now and then, especially when i find some good poetry. and yours is pretty good, in my opinion. feel free to post any and all you write.

ivan.sourceforge.net
Matt
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, June 26, 2004 at 00:17 (GMT -5)

Looks like it's been over a month since this forum was written to.... it's a shame, because I really appreciated what I've seen here, as a reader, writer, and a fellow adventurer.

Anyone still here, anyone at all? Anyone reading this?
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Moderator on this forum
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, June 26, 2004 at 00:26 (GMT -5)

I'm here.
i'm the mod, i kinda have to be here.
This forum gets so little activity though, it's not a hard job.
ivan.sourceforge.net
Portrait
@
Registered user
Q('_'Q)(>'_')>

Last page view:

6668 days, 9 hours, 55 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, June 26, 2004 at 06:03 (GMT -5)

I see.........
My first post here :S
<xxxxo~~~~oxxxx> SWORDCHUK

Matt
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, June 26, 2004 at 17:00 (GMT -5)

I'm interested in doing a short story set in and around the Drakalor chain, actually. And I would like to try RP'ing sometime; I think I've read enough of it by now to get the hang of it. So maybe there'll be more activity here in the near future.

Matt
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Moderator on this forum
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, June 26, 2004 at 22:51 (GMT -5)

Perhaps... I'll mostly be around watching things, seeing what happens, commenting... I probably won't write much of anything at all. Too lazy, plus trying to get some stuff done IRL...
ivan.sourceforge.net
illumi
Registered user
The 1st child

Last page view:

7095 days, 2 hours, 43 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, June 27, 2004 at 22:52 (GMT -5)

Matt, I like your new story ... atmosphere is intriguing

When next update will be??? =)

[Edited 2 times, last edit on 6/27/2004 at 22:56 (GMT -5) by illumi]
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Moderator on this forum
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, June 28, 2004 at 03:02 (GMT -5)

that was pretty good, Matt. i'm an author as well, and i've found I almost never think what I write is any good. Other's seem to like it though, so... *shrug* I keep on writing whenever the mood strikes.
ivan.sourceforge.net
Portrait
Matt
Registered user
Adventurer

Last page view:

6916 days, 8 hours, 25 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2004 at 22:07 (GMT -5)

Thanks, illumi! I think I'll make the next one right now, actually.

Yeah, that's true--with many stories, after I write them I don't feel I've written what I needed to write. I spent most of last night writing a fanfic that I completely revised this afternoon. I often find that if I write a story and re-read it later, I can find it more readable (although I usually notice my writing style.. err.. has improved since).
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Moderator on this forum
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, July 05, 2004 at 02:55 (GMT -5)

Hahaa, i'm not sure, but it seems i'm the only one reading your stuff Matt. In any case, I'm the only one voting. Heh. did i mention that this forum gets very little activity? it almost doesn't warrent having it's own mod.
ivan.sourceforge.net
Portrait
Matt
Registered user
Adventurer

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, July 05, 2004 at 19:04 (GMT -5)

> did i mention that this forum gets very little activity?

Yeah, I can see it; I don't believe it's disinterest, though; just lack of interest. Wait, those are the same thing.... let me rephrase. Seems like most people who aren't doing stuff here, aren't doing stuff here because they're doing other stuff, rather than not doing stuff here because they don't like doing stuff here. Although I'll admit these forums could use a slight bit of customization (for many, black/brown/squareness don't particularly encourage a sense of community, which is a key factor in involvement IMHO); forum activity is usually proportional, especially writing forums in relation to discussion forums, from what I've seen.

I'm writing in other places in addition to here, for instance; I often keep multiple stories going on at once. I usually don't get much attention, but I've learned not to invest much in the interest of others. When I began to play ADoM (a few years ago) the level of immersion was unlike any other game. Most of what I've written in 'Wanderings' is just collected ADoM daydreams.

But although I may find myself inspired, not every writer will be; it's been said that every writer really only has one story; themselves. Their experiences, their beliefs. F. Scott Fitzgerald being one of the more famous writers who applied this concretely. However this can expand, be delimited in various ways, to isolate aspects--if you know what I mean. (At least, I've observed this in myself--similarly to Tim O'Brien's view (or rather, my interpretation of his view), all writing of this kind is 'true'.)

With this in mind, I'll just say that, if the inspiration were to present itself, I imagine any writer[s] could come in here and write. For instance, if authors were contacted for another RP story (is that the right term?), then I imagine the forum could grow active, in that.

Maybe it isn't active because most people just can't see a story in a computer game. Their loss, I say. I'll continue to write in this forum when the mood strikes me, or until an evil wizard casts Lose Inspiration (or perhaps Greater Lose Inspiration), or until the carpal tunnel fully sets in. Most likely the former or the latter. :)

Matt

Did what I just wrote make any sense? Any sense at all?
Yes  No
Check results

Portrait
Duke Ravage
Moderator on this forum
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 at 18:23 (GMT -5)

Woo! Iridia's back! But for how long...?

I've grown tired of writing (and reading for that matter) fan-fiction type stuff based on games. They started to bore me after a while because I wasn't really doing anything creative, just paraphrasing someone elses story. Kinda feels like pagurism (sp?) when I put it that way...

Thats why I started teh Arcanium story, was to get away from the fan-fic elements and make up something new with a few other people. (It would have gotten nowhere if i had written it by myself.)

Speaking of Arcanium... Iridia, do you want to continue that one? Laz... oh I forgot his name, the other Australian guy that was writing it and did the info thread... he's not coming back, so we'd need to redistribute the chars, or else bring someone else in...
ivan.sourceforge.net
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Moderator on this forum
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, July 18, 2004 at 14:46 (GMT -5)

Folks, please, [i]please[/i] use this thread. It's here for a reason. Anything that isn't either story or information about a story should go here. I can't decide what to do with the thread about www.fanfic.com, I might close it, but for future reference... yeah, i already said it.

@, i'll leave your other thread, it's at least information about the RP. but the two threads you made *could* have easily fit in here, or at least into one thread.

Sorry, I'm just trying to keep this forum somewhat orderly. It's a lot nicer when all the stories are in one place and all the comments/other stuff is in another. Makes for easier reads.
ivan.sourceforge.net
Portrait
@
Registered user
Q('_'Q)(>'_')>

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, July 18, 2004 at 16:12 (GMT -5)

Ooh i see ok.

Portrait
@
Registered user
Q('_'Q)(>'_')>

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, July 18, 2004 at 20:11 (GMT -5)

I readed rules and stuff but didint put them here.. XD

Portrait
Matt
Registered user
Adventurer

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, July 26, 2004 at 17:20 (GMT -5)

I'm back! Be afraid!

Through my two-week vacation, I spent a few hours each night writing, but it was mostly other stuff. I didn't write anything on Wanderings because I didn't any context with which to pick back up on the story's writing style; apparently laptops aren't made with 3 1/2 floppy drives so much these days, so I was severely hindered for my stay. :-P But I think I'll write a chapter now.....
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Moderator on this forum
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, July 26, 2004 at 18:59 (GMT -5)

I read your latest, and one thing annoyed me. You were doing really good with the whole atmosphere of the story, everything was good and believeable... then you threw in some wierd stuff that seemed completely out of place. Smashing Pumpkins and Alice in Chains? Race and Class? That's what threw me back to earth the most, the race and class thing. Shows immediately that this is fanfic. In real life you'd never refer to someone as having a "class". They'd just be a fighter. Mentioning that she has a race and class just shows that this is a game.

Also a bit of the word choice seemed out of place, can't remember what specifically, but...
ivan.sourceforge.net
Portrait
Matt
Registered user
Adventurer

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 at 00:11 (GMT -5)

Thanks for checking it out!

Actually, I mentioned race and class because because in my fictional depiction of Ancardia (well, to be honest, Ancardia isn't fictional--oh, wait, yes it is. Whoops), things like that are just standard stuff. People also might mention 'experience level' or 'level of experience' later on, but not in the context of numbers (there's no way I can pull that off), and of course the spells are real spells from ADoM. I'm trying to have this be very close the canon ADoM background. ....Maybe I'll just rephrase it to be more indirect.

As I was writing the end of the chapter, I was going to just put something else as Hotzenplotz's end speech, but then I thought, "It's kind of ironic that Thomas Biskup put the name of a nineties rock movement for his half-orc bouncer; maybe I should have Hotzenplotz ask Grunge to play some good grunge music. But that wouldn't be canonical at all.... Wait a second, don't they have musical instruments in ADoM? And humans? That's what the Smashing Pumpkins is, right? And maybe they could be on tour, and play a back-to-back venue in Terinyo. I'd be able to insert the lyrics to 'Heart-Shaped Box'. Courtney Love could be chaotic. And if I kill off any characters, then Kurt Cobain can say 'Character X is dead.' And it'll be only a fragment of an allusion, and no one will notice." And so I added all that stuff.

But, you're right, I should take out that last part. There's the mood to consider, and although in stories like this I like to have serious sections interrupted by nonsensical references, I should make a habit of less disassociation in such things.

Matt

Edit: Changed the end of the last chapter, and added yet another one!

[Edited 2 times, last edit on 7/27/2004 at 01:07 (GMT -5) by Matt]
Portrait
Matt
Registered user
Adventurer

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 at 00:20 (GMT -5)

My new chapter just disappeared.

I think I may shoot myself.

Either that or spend all night rewriting a slightly worse version. Most likely the latter.

Disappointing, since it was completely non-dialog, a transition chapter, and I really liked it, literarily I mean. It was succinct, but it said what I wanted to say and wasn't awkward. The redo will probably be irregular in phrase and progression, and come off less communicative then what I'd written previously

Edit: It's rewritten, and I think I did an okay job, although it's still not as good as before. :\

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/27/2004 at 01:06 (GMT -5) by Matt]
Portrait
Iridia
Registered user
YASD

Last page view:

3753 days, 23 hours, 11 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, July 30, 2004 at 21:31 (GMT -5)

Suggestion for disappearing posts: Write your post in Notepad or your computer's Clipboard Editor (Don't use MS Word/Write/etc... anything other than a plain-text editor will seriously mess up your formatting and punctuation).

Copy and paste to your text window; post. If you lose the post then you can just try again. Alternatively, just select the post, Copy, and post... if you lose the post you can just "paste" it back in.
Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Matt
Registered user
Adventurer

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 at 00:10 (GMT -5)

Yeah, I know I should (I usually write with the UNIX-based program 'vi'), but for some reason I find the words come to me better when I click on the topic and have the little form in front of me.

Mozilla usually works really well, though. I haven't messed up like that in around a year.

On an unrelated note, today I was thinking about another story I started a week ago and then all of a sudden I thought, "Hey, wait a second, wasn't I writing something at that ADoM forum? Yeah, I feel like writing there...." so I posted the latest chapter a few minutes ago.

Duke: I decided to delete my 'Seaside' story; but, for some reason I can't delete the topic itself. Maybe you could help out with that? (Besides, you don't want anyone to think you're crazy, talking to yourself like that. >:D ....Unless you want to be THAT kind of moderator.... XD)
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Moderator on this forum
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, August 06, 2004 at 22:18 (GMT -5)

Yeah I can delete the story. Why do you want to? I thought that was a cool one, it just needs some more development...
However if you're set on deleteing it and don't want to wait for me to see your reply to this, just delete all your posts in the thread. That should delete it. unless there's someone else's posts in there...
ivan.sourceforge.net
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Moderator on this forum
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, August 06, 2004 at 22:34 (GMT -5)

And one more thing, i've been reading your stuff... it seems pretty good. If you want I could possibly put you on the Arcanium story... I put some instructions for Derek B Rackham Esq over on the Arcanium OOC thread because he was interested, if you are too you can follow them too. You won't have to write too much, I've seen your stuff already before and it was pretty good. Pick a character too. That way you won't both pick the same, and then if I like both of them I can post them and the story can make progress. (Assuming they're compatible of course...)
ivan.sourceforge.net
Portrait
Iridia
Registered user
YASD

Last page view:

3753 days, 23 hours, 11 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, August 07, 2004 at 23:07 (GMT -5)

(Note: Jennifer's taken!)
Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Matt
Registered user
Adventurer

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, August 13, 2004 at 23:09 (GMT -5)

I would very much like to take up a role, if it isn't too late to do so--ironically, I left for another vacation Friday (the 6th) afternoon, so I missed all of this.... at the time of this response I've been home for less than an hour.

Could I have a few days (maybe a week, even?) to familiarize myself with the setting and characters? You know, re-read the entire story and the information thread, take a few notes, intuit the Arcanium episteme (the latter word said with a hokey accent of some sort). I think I'd like to work on Andor Drakon's character Dalinor.

And I'll post to the Arcanium OOC thread when I compose and send the relevant e-mail?

Matt

P.S. I'm a strange sort of fellow in that the presence of the Seaside story felt 'stale' and hindered my ability to write.... I may look into it again someday, but at the moment I'm working on quite a few things....
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Moderator on this forum
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, August 15, 2004 at 00:52 (GMT -5)

you can have all the time you want -- if you havn't noticed it is moving quite slowly. :P

however Dalinor isn't Andor Drakon's character. He's a "minor" character. (He's actually become a rather major one... but that's another story. Me and Derek have been talking about that. I'll mention something later.) Andor Drakon's character was Willard, who has been taken by Derek. Only open option at this point is Relthe. However, you are welcome to play Dalinor in addition to Relthe, I could use someone else to write with in Josua's little escapade. But, if you only want to play Dalinor... just be aware that his destiny is less important.
ivan.sourceforge.net
Portrait
Matt
Registered user
Adventurer

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, August 15, 2004 at 12:17 (GMT -5)

Ah, that's what I meant, that he was introduce by Andor Drakon, as a minor character. I'll look into Relthe, then--he's admittedly a bit more complex than Dalinor, but/so I'd love to work with him.
Go to page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: