Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Ultimate Character Quest

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Tekki
Registered user

Last page view:

7315 days, 15 hours and 30 minutes ago.
Posted on Monday, June 17, 2002 at 19:28 (GMT -5)

I had done this before with a character, a grey elven wizard named trefalgar. This means that all stats are 99, hp and pp rates are maxed, all spells are learned, grand mastery is achieved in all possible fields, every skill is known and at 100, speed is at least 2000, corruption is at zero, and the PC has a really really good inventory. Also, pc has all positive intrinsics. Unfortunately, trefalgar died soon after recieving around 2000 speed...

My recommendations for perfect eq:
Eternium cap(heavily improved)
aylas scarf(possibly aols instead)
cloak of defense(heavily improved)
platinum girdle
eternium tower shield(ditto)
Needle and Sting?
eternium gauntlets(ditto)
Seven league boots(same)
artifact missle weapon
artifact missile
heavily improved bracers or bracers of war
some nice tool?(I really don't know)

You feel a surge of power. Suddenly your extraordinary carrying capacity fails you. You are crushed by the tons of luggage you are carrying. You die...

Go here when you are on the forum to chat about Adom! http://koti.mbnet.fi/adrakon/chat.shtml
Tekki
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, June 17, 2002 at 19:30 (GMT -5)

forgot improved moloch armor

Oh, and what race/class combo would be best? Another grey elven wizard? perhaps a hurthling monk? or a human paladin?

You feel a surge of power. Suddenly your extraordinary carrying capacity fails you. You are crushed by the tons of luggage you are carrying. You die...

Go here when you are on the forum to chat about Adom! http://koti.mbnet.fi/adrakon/chat.shtml

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 6/17/2002 at 21:19 (GMT -5) by Tekki]
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

5634 days, 9 hours, 48 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, June 17, 2002 at 22:49 (GMT -5)

a bard would be nice, due to lots of skills/improvements per level, and the class abilities granting more skills, 1d3 skill levels in IIRC 6 wep skills, and +6 to all stats.

ivan.sourceforge.net
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5737 days, 3 hours, 19 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 at 04:15 (GMT -5)

For learning all spells, Wizard is by far the easiest, because they are guaranteed to find every spellbook (even Wish) down the Rift.

Also, if you wield Needle and Sting you can't have an eternium tower shield. What's the best one-handed artifact weapon?
MangaFox
Registered user

Last page view:

7569 days, 20 hours, 17 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 at 08:47 (GMT -5)

Something that slays the most powerful things, like demons perhaps? Purifier?

Bug-lover since 1.0.0
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 at 13:08 (GMT -5)

spking of artifacts, i just had a drakeling priest find Deaths Final Touch from a random monster drop on PC:6.

ivan.sourceforge.net
eLekTRik aka eL
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 at 13:24 (GMT -5)

I've just get a Sword of Light! WOW! Cool!
Tekki
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 at 16:15 (GMT -5)

but skills can be wished for, and spells can be learned by everyone to some extent...so the only solution is a race-class combination that produces alertness and several unique useful abilities...

Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 at 23:52 (GMT -5)

that guy that found the emerald dagger just died... got to lv 17, cleared pyramid, graveyard (even dug up a couple graves -- first ML was easy, petrified it, second one resisted 2 petrifies, so i had to run away and get my PP back. then i petrified it.), and some other places (had 3 altars generated in a row in the CoC: 1 above DT, DT, and 1 below DT). then he decided to go try to pass SMC. he walked in, bashed some baddies, then got trapped between a wererat and a rust monster. Time to teleport... thx to tele control, i was able to land back on the up stairs, intending to leave... unfortunately, that also put me next to a Troll King. having low HP, i decided "Whoops, time go go" and warpped to another room. after that, i was gonna walk some and find the dwn stairs, and i actually found them. too bad for me, i was low on HP and there was an orc in the way. i thought "bah, damn orc. i'm buff! DIE!!" and went and tried to kill it. unfortunately the bastard knew what it was doing and killed me.... pissed me off. he had plenty of artifacts, too.
stupid smith in DT wanted $10k before he'd give me smithing... that made me unhappy...

ivan.sourceforge.net
Portrait
Dougy
Registered user
What is the deal with cards?

Last page view:

5801 days, 10 hours, 35 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 at 23:58 (GMT -5)

Bards would have to be the best at this for sure... especially with as few as possible of the guaranteed skills. Save plenty of wishes there - magical writing sets would be quite the boon though.

However the platinum girdle in required equipment would put quite the proverbial onion in the ointment when training the pick pockets skill. (I get the feeling the equipment restrictions should be relaxed a bit - perhaps instead require pv and dv to sum to at least 200)

Another suggestion is to add that the pc has to be crowned.

Is it even possible to get all stats to 99 still ??... since eating claw bugs reduces willpower. You'd need quite a few potions of gain attributes... training with garth perhaps? (a real handy alchemy skill would create wonders)

Grand mastery in all fields would be beyond impossible in my opinion. If you use a slaying weapon and get double marks it still takes thousands of kills to get it up there. Even with the gremlins at only 3000 kills they're quite dangerous for high level charactors. There's 10 melee and 8 missile weapon skill catagories, and shield aswell. You'd be looking at more then 100,000 kills.

---

PS1: That addy in your sig doesn't work for me tekki

PS2: I can't wait until someone picks up the ring of the high kings to take them over the 2000s mark. (: buahahah

Adomer from Australia.

DougyDougy - Dougy - DougyDougy
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 at 03:17 (GMT -5)

i'm sure if you were patient you could achieve GM in all skills. take lots of wilderness/gremlin scumming, but it's possible. and 99 stats is possible, just takes lots of scumming/wishing/etc.

ivan.sourceforge.net
Tekki
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 at 21:49 (GMT -5)

well...with Trefalgar's 2000 speed, all I had to do was scum the blue dragon caves, tons of items, plenty of kills, quite nice really...also, getting doomed and running around the wilderness helps...potions of GA are often obtained from the caves, either directly or through wishes...

Portrait
BM
Registered user
The Necromancer

Last page view:

7733 days, 22 hours, 42 minutes and 17 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 at 05:15 (GMT -5)

Hmmm IMHO the best class for this quest would be thief..... This quest is a very long play in dungeons... Lots of kills to make grand mastery in all.... But in shileds it will very hard (Your PC is to fast and monsters onlly mis or your PC are critical hited by extremaly experienced monsters.... Try kill 5000 ancient blue dragons..... Long time = lots of coruptions. My Splash used lots of SoChR and lots PoCC. He found/stole lots of RoDS and WoW

And when your PC fopund all random non guaranted artifacts in ADOM than in level 49 for potions of uselnesnes your PC get only some random items loike from dragon... There are no more artifacts:)

"Insect, we care not for thee. Disturb us any we will extingwish thy weak candle of life"

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 6/21/2002 at 05:18 (GMT -5) by BM]
Lazy Cal
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, June 24, 2002 at 12:14 (GMT -5)

I would say the character only needs grand mastery in the weapons s/he uses. I would have the ankh rather than the scarf -- The ankh supposedly gives you an extra luck bonus beyond "Fate Smiles", and, by the time you are 99 in all stats, you probably don't need the defense/protection bonus of the scarf.

You should also have the artifact pickaxe.

In fact, everything you wear should be an artifact. This way, nothing you wear could be destroyed.

Hmmm, what class. You will already be a mighty spell caster, so wizard and priest are not too necessary. You will be using weapons, so monk's insta kill would not come into play.

The class would need an intrinsic that is not acquired with abilities or such. Priest (Turn undead) Assassin (Insta kill w/weapon) Farmer (resist corruption) Fighter(critical hits and all-around attack)

Sign: Unicorn (resist corruption)

Alignment: True Neutral (You have access to the most things)

Race: Grey Elf (Neutral, and long life) or Drakling (acid spray)
p_ouji
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, June 24, 2002 at 17:40 (GMT -5)

Grand Mastery in all weapons isn't impossible, just tedious. You'd probably want to do it before you get 99 STR and DEX. Jusy generate a slow, extremely experienced creature (in SMC for example) that is regenerating or has high PV. Lure it to an enclosed, safe area and whack away at it. As long as you don't kill it your going to get marks (a good use for those mild eternium and ashen weapons). As an alternative, you can heal the creature.

Grand Mastery in shields is another matter. Try surrounding yourself with extremely experienced creatures with two high material/artifact shields.
Try to have >1500 HP in case of multiple critical hits. (and have extra luck/fate smiles)

When you have >200 speed, all creatures are slow.
When you have >2000 speed, you are faster than the background corruption! ^_^;
p_ouji
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, June 24, 2002 at 17:54 (GMT -5)

As for ultimate endgame race, class.

Drakeling Mindcrafter.

Has the most numerous and usefull special powers (and greatest weaknessess). An alternate would be grey elf, but the faster PP regeneration could be duplicated with !oRM.

Either way, it would be a good challange to get a mindcrafter all spells and spellbooks (including Wish)
Tekki
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, June 24, 2002 at 23:37 (GMT -5)

I'm thinking an elvish mindcrafter for the long life and best abilities

p_ouji
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, June 29, 2002 at 07:44 (GMT -5)

Good Choice.

Grey Elf Mindcrafter

long life, ridiculous PP regeneration,
best special abilities, very weak start

If you survive, you can close the gates quickly
and power this puppy up.

-99 in all stats is cake, just book cast stong spells and !ofEx.
-Mindcrafters gain Weapon Skills like a fighter type (and high Le helps too i think)
-Good wishes would be "Spellbooks of Create Item"
or "Spellbooks" (you can get Wish this way)

good luck
Tekki
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, June 29, 2002 at 23:25 (GMT -5)

mindcrafters can't really cast spells...

Locke
Registered user
Treasure hunter

Last page view:

7870 days, 5 hours, 10 minutes and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, June 30, 2002 at 07:02 (GMT -5)

Not in the traditional sense no. But with wands of wonder and potions of booze they can.

Locke Cole
Tekki
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, June 30, 2002 at 20:51 (GMT -5)

so, once they learn it they have no trouble...it's just getting that far?

p_ouji
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, July 01, 2002 at 03:56 (GMT -5)

The quest for an ultimate character is quite a challenge. I inferred from earlier posts that it was to build the best possible chara:
best race/class
best stats
all skills
best/most special powers
all spells
(or at least able to book cast the best)
best possible equipment

GE Mindcrafters have an awful start, but their midgame/endgame is a breeze. They probably have
the good potential to be the end-all chara. That
and infinite wishing archmagi.
Locke
Registered user
Treasure hunter

Last page view:

7870 days, 5 hours, 10 minutes and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, July 01, 2002 at 07:08 (GMT -5)

That's right. Once hey have learn the spell, it's ok. Rather nice having, say, ballspells with a mindcrafter. :)

Locke Cole
Tekki
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, July 02, 2002 at 11:58 (GMT -5)

the mindcrafter's mental spells can do like a max of 300 damage! with the right stats of course...

Portrait
Dougy
Registered user
What is the deal with cards?

Last page view:

5801 days, 10 hours, 35 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, July 06, 2002 at 01:40 (GMT -5)

Another thing to point out about weapon skills - you only get a certain amount of marks for a single creature. If you whack anything repeatedly eventually you will stop getting marks for it. Same goes for shield in reverse.

Another problem would be with the missile skills with things like throwing clubs and daggers that are just sooo annoying that nobody uses them. Where on earth are you going to find enough scaugari to get grand mastery?

Adomer from Australia.

DougyDougy - Dougy - DougyDougy
Portrait
p_ouji
Registered user
Hikari no Yuusha

Last page view:

6878 days, 8 hours, 10 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, July 06, 2002 at 05:33 (GMT -5)

-I believe with high Le the amount of hits/blocks which add marks is increased.
-Unique and extremely experienced creatures give more marks per hit/block and more hits which add marks.
-The tedium is whart makes it a challenge. Fire, telport (or just hi speed), recover, recycle. All missle weapon catagories except for bows and crossbows have returning missles of some sort as well.

- p_ouji
Tekki
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, July 07, 2002 at 13:35 (GMT -5)

oh trust me...with Trefalgar, just for fun, I descended into the ID with nothing but some food and a cursed broadsword...that was fun...hehe...came back sometime after level 200 with grand mastery ;)

Portrait
BM
Registered user
The Necromancer

Last page view:

7733 days, 22 hours, 42 minutes and 17 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 09, 2002 at 07:43 (GMT -5)

Ehmmmmmm only thief can survive that extremaly long in ADOM and do not change into violet "j". Others class must close the gate or explore locations with low background corruptions

"Insect, we care not for thee. Disturb us any we will extingwish thy weak candle of life"
J.
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 at 04:17 (GMT -5)

Getting all stats to 99 is not that hard (though time-consuming). My latest winner (human wizard SuperMan, VP in RGRA) got all to 99 (without any stat-raising items) by scumming the BDC (but only AFTER closing the gate). BDC is probably the best place for stat-scumming IMO. At least my char found loadsa PoGA and several RoDS there. And ancient blue dragons raise Dx without affecting other stats so with some patience and some PoEx you can get all stats to 99. Too bad those dragons leave absolutely LOADS of junk behind so I had to utilise fireball and acid ball quite heavily to get rid of some junk.

Oh, and BDC is also a good place to find lots of spellbooks. At least it was for my winner. I didn't get all skills though and my speed was only around 500 by the time I had had enough and left. I do have a backup of the save so I guess I could try it just for kicks...
Portrait
Ragnarok
Registered user
Cat

Last page view:

7901 days, 8 hours, 15 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, August 02, 2002 at 13:46 (GMT -5)

Scumming doesn't count. You can do nearly anything within the limits of the game by scumming. Now if you did that WITHOUT scumming, it would be impressive.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: