Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Weaponsmiths

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5760 days, 4 hours, 15 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, September 09, 2002 at 04:45 (GMT -5)

Has anyone here ever won with a Weaponsmith? I've been playing Dwarven Weaponsmiths a lot lately, and I'm having great difficulty with them. My best one got killed in the Earth Temple because he got surrounded by earth elementals, he'd run out of ball spells, and he wasn't paying enough attention to notice that he needed healing. I also seem to die to nasties like master mimics and greater molochs because of my lack of magical ability.

Do you make a lot of use of your Smithing skill? When do you start using it? I've been waiting until I have Smithing and Metallurgy maxed out, but that may not be a good idea. I'm just a bit worried about damaging or destroying items if I work on them without high skills. What items are best to work on? (I'm thinking that an ordinary medium shield plus a lot of iron ingots would add up to a pretty good shield.)

Is the Appraising skill worth training up? I haven't been bothering, because it seems pretty useless. Sometimes plain ordinary weapons like an uncursed battle-axe (+0, 1d6+2) are rated as good for no apparent reason. I'm not convinced that it understands magic items at all - it once rated an uncursed SoCR as "fair".
Portrait
Jek
Registered user
the Mindless

Last page view:

6072 days, 19 hours, 6 minutes and 19 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, September 09, 2002 at 05:31 (GMT -5)

Smithing is rather cool
what about eternium spear of the eagle (+11 2d8 +12) [+5 +0] (i don't actualy remember the dice.. was i 2d8 or not but..)
usualy i start to use smithing as soon as i find free forge and close every door that led i the room with it. (it is also usefull to plant some bee wax in your ears and consume some kind of blessed stomafilia before work).
the level of Smithing skill only mean how much of ingots you'll waste (the lower the level the more ingots needed due to some failure)
items made from better metal are better to work on.. 'couse they already have good base of stats and thus could be improved much more then others.
So i think you shoud start to work on some primitive iron items to waste a score of iron ingots ant train your Smithing skill to some high level and than you shoud forge some outstandig adamantium eternium supa-cool toys %)

sorry for the language.. i guess you understand the key idea.. ;)

differently yours
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, September 09, 2002 at 08:18 (GMT -5)

Thanks for the help! Next time I will start smithing as soon as I get the chance. It's rather annoying the way it starts by improving DV on armour and to-hit on weapons - PV and damage would be much more useful, IMHO. Also, I once carelessly hit a gray ooze with an orcish spear of devastation, its damage went down from 5d8+8 to 5d8+3, and smithing it afterwards didn't improve the damage at all.

I feel bad for thinking of this, but if you make Glod angry by pickpocketing him, can you then kill him without getting muscular dwarves and an angry shopkeeper chasing after you, so that you have a free forge on a level with no hostile monsters and a low to zero corruption rate?
Portrait
Jek
Registered user
the Mindless

Last page view:

6072 days, 19 hours, 6 minutes and 19 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, September 10, 2002 at 01:41 (GMT -5)

HowTo get rid of Glod without getting muscular dwarves?
it's rather simple. you shoud create explosive traps in his room. after he would get in one he would become very angry and start to kill every one on sight. needless to say that guards will stop him soon %))
also ocationaly he may die when the whole town fighting a demon that is elder quest.

and for my previous post.. that spear.. it was not even a Weaponsmith who made it.. it was just a plain Troll Barbarian with high (100%) Smithing skill..

differently yours
J.
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, September 10, 2002 at 02:38 (GMT -5)

It might be interesting to play a weaponsmith after closing the gate going to BDC, collecting various pre/suffixed armor and weapon and melting them to ingots (can weaponsmiths melt down mithril/adamantium/eternium stuff ?). Just to think what kind of weird ingots one would get that way. Trapped eternium ingot of chaos ? Brutal eternium ingot of the void ? Unerring eternium ingot of penetration ?

Hmmmm...
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3750 days, 7 hours, 23 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, September 10, 2002 at 14:45 (GMT -5)

Try a dwarven weaponsmith with Hammerhead, and hollow out the ID. :)

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 at 05:35 (GMT -5)

Foolish questions about the "weird ingots" thing:

1. What happens if you melt down a large pile of items, only some of which have prefixes and/or suffixes? Do you get a mixture of different types of ingots, or do all the ingots get all the prefixes and suffixes from all the items?

2. Are there any consequences to smithing with a weird ingot i.e. if you smith with an ingot of weakness, does your weapon turn into a weapon of weakness?
J.
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2002 at 02:26 (GMT -5)

Ekaterin:

1. I'm not sure but I'd guess it could result in various types of ingots, some with foofixes, some without. I found that weird ingots thing by accident when I was getting rid of surplus items as a wizard (in BDC, after closing the gate). I was casting fireball with a pile of items in the vicinity and some items melted into ingots. Unfortunately fireball can only melt iron items and even then they just usually disappear. turning into ingots is RARE. With the weaponsmith class power I probably could melt any item into ingots so that would enable me to get some TRULY odd ingots.

2. Don't know, haven't tried it yet. I do have a copy of the wizard with those odd ingots so I could check it out. The problem is, if I tried to smith an armor with a weapon-ingot or vice versa what would happen ? I doubt one could have (say) a wicked chain mail of penetration or a trapped long sword of life (or something like that), though it could be interesting...
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2002 at 05:56 (GMT -5)

J. - please do check it out, I'd be interested to see what happens. Another question - do the weird ingots auto-identify? I don't want to be using an ingot of something bad without knowing it, and of course I'm far less likely to melt down a good item.

Right now I'm thinking about getting rid of Glod, since my current weaponsmith reached Dwarftown without finding any other forges. I tried pickpocketing him but I guess I was too good at it - it just kept telling me that I'd already cleaned him out. Jek has some good suggestions which I may try, and I guess setting a companion on him is safe too.

What about zapping him with a wand of stunning, shooting an arrow past him so that it hits him and makes him angry, or zapping him with a bolt spell or wand? I'm pretty sure that at least the first two of those actions aren't chaotic - but do they lead to muscular dwarves?
Portrait
Guinea
Registered user
tWo-HeAdEd cHaOs WeAsEl

Last page view:

6963 days, 16 hours, 18 minutes and 6 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2002 at 07:09 (GMT -5)

Try companions - it's easy and safe. And always a success (unless the companion is so weak that Glod will kill him).

J.
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2002 at 07:24 (GMT -5)

Ekaterin: IIRC, no. I don't remember if they are auto-identified if you had identified the item before melting it but it could be so. I'll have to check out the smithing thing.
J.
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 at 02:16 (GMT -5)

Doesn't work. Tried yesterday. First tried smithing some spears with those weird ingots (nasty, brutal, unerring). Failed several times to improve, then succeeded but no prefixes added. Then tried improving some quarrels with unerring ingots - same result. I had this message while trying to smith them :

You start to work on the boring quarrel (+1,2d6-3). It now looks much better. Despite your best efforts the quality of the boring quarrel (+1,2d6-3) does not improve.

Is this normal message when smithing missiles ?
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, September 14, 2002 at 03:48 (GMT -5)

Well, my weaponsmith was killed when the game crashed with signal 11 :-( Is there any way of recovering the game when this sort of thing happens?
Portrait
BM
Registered user
The Necromancer

Last page view:

7756 days, 23 hours, 37 minutes and 29 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 at 11:56 (GMT -5)

The best way to kill Glod is teleport him and exit with him from dwarven city stairways... and just walking by traps

"Insect, we care not for thee. Disturb us any we will extingwish thy weak candle of life"
SuperLobster
Registered user
The Mad Monk

Last page view:

7703 days, 19 hours, 49 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 at 15:26 (GMT -5)

I've won the game with a Dwarven Weaponsmith. Forged himself some *really* nice red dragon scale (+7, +20, I believe), Eternium Tower Shield (+19, +5), and gauntlets (+4, +6). The only problem with smithing (at least IMHO) is it's improvement to weapons, usually it ups the to-hit modifier, when the damage modifier would be *alot* more useful. Anyway, by the end of the game my weaponsmith was like a walking tank, he could beat up on pretty much anything without breaking a sweat. As far melee ability went, he was tougher than any of the "standard" fighter types I've ever had going.
As far as when I start using the smithing skill, I usuall wait until I've gotten it up to at least 80 before doing any work.
You want to fight? Fight me! HAHAHA

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 9/18/2002 at 15:28 (GMT -5) by SuperLobster]
Portrait
Ryan Klein
Registered user
Because I said so is why!

Last page view:

1649 days, 12 hours, 28 minutes and 51 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 at 22:27 (GMT -5)

I've been reading this group(?) of posts and you guys have convinced me to try my hand at a blind weaponsmith (ALL of my characters are "blind" because I like it that way)

BTW, check out my "blind" assassin that bears my name. He should come up soon.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: