Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Some questions

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Ryan Klein
Registered user
Because I said so is why!

Last page view:

1647 days, 15 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, September 27, 2002 at 13:01 (GMT -5)

1.Which do you prefer, DV or PV and why?

2.Which is your favorite weapon type (swords, axes, etc.) and why?

3.Why is this game so addictive?

Portrait
Ryan Klein
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, September 27, 2002 at 13:09 (GMT -5)

1. I prefer DV because monsters can't bypass it.

"The more mobile a unit is, the less chance it will be hit. Armor will break with each hit but it cannot be broken if it isn't hit."
Anonymous

2. I like staves due to there nice DV increase. My favorite weapon overall is the polearm.

3. I don't bloody know. I'm so addicted, that I'm attempting to make a Terinyo replica in The Sims (a game which I bought less than two days ago.) I've not been succesfull (although my charcters of Twyaat Fare and Rynt are pretty funny in thier own right.)

Just imagine. The Sims meets ADOM. That would be wierder than my recent saying.

RKade

calvin
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, September 28, 2002 at 16:13 (GMT -5)

1. with melee characters i like PV because i can go on berserk safer. with magic chars it doesnt really matter.

2. polearms because it gives good DV and to hit. 2H-weapons because it gives great damage.

3. because it is it fun and is random so it has great replay value for an RPG. plus its alot harder to beat then most games, and has alot of races and classes so if one gets old you can play a different kind of character.
Portrait
Ryan Klein
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2003 at 16:35 (GMT -5)

Well???

(I'm grave diggin' tod- holy SHIT!! An emperor lich named Jan. RUN AWAY!!!)

Remember my old sig anyone?

I wish I was a green velvet covered xylophone named Greg. I would prance around in the land of Nod whilst talking to Bob, the orange plated trumpet and Harley, the flamethrower on my portable phone made out of livestock intestine and my mother's milking cow's brain.

I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

Portrait
Wheyon
Registered user

Last page view:

7559 days, 18 hours, 15 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2003 at 23:46 (GMT -5)

1. DV.(see 2.)
2. Spear + shield. right now with these two things alone I have a Dv bonus of 53. then theres my armour and equipment.
3. the complexity, depth, and difficulty.
My favourite piece of graffitti I ever was on a bathroom stall: "People who write here are FAAGS!"
ArcticWolf
Registered user
Karmic Popsicle

Last page view:

7411 days, 19 hours, 5 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2003 at 04:43 (GMT -5)

1. PV. Safer to go berzerk, and in the beginning it works better, for me at least.
2. Depends. I don't go for some specific weapon group every time, I pick one that suits the character.
3. I haven't bothered wondering about that. Something about looking into horse's mouth...

Imagine a carmic popsicle -
First it is red and tastes like strawberry. Then it turns blue and tastes like blueberry. And if someone takes it from ye, he or she gets cursed and doomed.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 5/27/2003 at 03:28 (GMT -5) by ArcticWolf]
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3109 days, 5 hours, 55 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2003 at 09:36 (GMT -5)

1. DV, although I often play ""true Berserker"
2. Two-handed weapons, because the 3 most damaging weapons are that class (Vanquisher, Axe of the Minotaur King, <thingy>Eterinium 2-hader of <thingy> ), but polearms are the best overall (easy to get good artefact, good bonuses).
3. Why? Because it is, that's why! It's ADOM - Adicting Downloadable Odd-looking Mission, just waiting to be finished in all the class/race combinations ;P

A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 5/26/2003 at 09:40 (GMT -5) by Maelstrom]
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5656 days, 5 hours, 20 minutes and 54 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2003 at 10:45 (GMT -5)

On topic:
  • 1.DV
  • 2. Polearms because of the bonuses, whips because of the bonuses and cool factor, 2H-weaps because they kick ass.
  • 3. I dunno and I don't really care I just enjoy playing it :)
...and to answer RK's question, no I didn't remember your old sig but it still made me smile when I read it again :)

If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 5/26/2003 at 10:45 (GMT -5) by J.]
buttnugget
Registered user

Last page view:

7622 days, 42 minutes and 18 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 14:07 (GMT -5)

pv yep, whips and archers go together like murder and life sentences. although i love having a hammer weilding priest for some reason. daggers are awesome! lightweight and dependable. but arrows far outweigh any weapon in the game IMO. you can shoot at any angle unlike spells and they just plain rock. no paging down to find a spell only to realize you hit the letter the spell USED to be and in acuality you just electrocuted yourself in an extremly humiliating fashion. yes, it's safe to say i'm over my wizard fix. don't worry much about healing anymore either.
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3109 days, 5 hours, 55 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 07:58 (GMT -5)

I'd rather have quirrels and Far Slayer then any arrows+any bow.

A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
Portrait
Warlord
Registered user
Wanderer of the Wastes

Last page view:

7524 days, 19 hours, 11 minutes and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 08:57 (GMT -5)

1) PV, I like dwarven weaponsmiths, and they can do a pretty good PV after a while

2) Hmmm...I like dual wielded swords, twh swords, and daggers. I'm not too fancy about missile weapons though. Rocks, if any

3) I dunno.

- May the blood of thine enemies stain the ground -
Fred
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 14:30 (GMT -5)

1) I like PV, but if you need DV, just switch to cowards tactics.

2) Daggers are nice if your going for needle and sting. And swords, maybe? And I use rocks rather than arrows/quarrels. They do not disappear even if you keep firing them.

3) It's VERY ADDICTIVE, been playing for 3 or 4 years, I think. I think it's because of the unpredictability.
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2003 at 04:08 (GMT -5)

Its pretty much the same whether you use arrows or quirrels. When you get 60+ damage bonus from your dex and weapon skill that extra d6 isn't that much. And if you use slaying ammo it's critical hit all the time anyway doing hundreds of damage:)

In the early game arrows are more plenty but that's the only difference I think.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Not logged Orc Man
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2003 at 00:12 (GMT -5)

1. I like both equally, smithed eterium plate mail that give dv bonus rocks!

2. smithed sword of sharpness + smithed sword of sharpness + two rings of slaying + 100 two weapon combat = an orc that you do not **** around with

3. Because this game is so challenging dispite above combination. My belief that I can melee anything always kills me... (DAMN YOU AND YOUR DEATH RAY EMPORER LICH!)
Fred
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2003 at 14:56 (GMT -5)

Concerning number 2 of Orc Man's post

What has more damage, dual weilded smithed SoS, or the needle sting combination?
Orc Man v2
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2003 at 21:10 (GMT -5)

In all likely hood needle and sting. But Im not going to waste my time in that assassin place trying to teleport to the stairs, just to go through many, many equipment destroying traps when SoS seem to come so easy for me.
Portrait
Wheyon
Registered user

Last page view:

7559 days, 18 hours, 15 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2003 at 21:31 (GMT -5)

SoS's arent arifacts so they rust, corrode, break etc... im assuming that needle and sting give decent intrinsics aswell... Sos arent that common either, and N+S are guarenteed albeit late game weapons. If two weapon combat is desired, N n S are the ultimate.
My favourite piece of graffitti I ever was on a bathroom stall: "People who write here are FAAGS!"
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2003 at 05:09 (GMT -5)

Needle and sting don't give any intrinsics. They just give massive bonuses. I'd bet that needle+sting do more damage. Plus, they're lighter weapons so they're easier to dual weild :P

But as Wheyon said the saddest part of swords of sharpness is that they're made out of iron and thus get very easily destroyed by acid and stuff.

Fred
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2003 at 03:41 (GMT -5)

I use SoS now, training them up to mastery at the BDC. But when faced with tough opponents, I always change to N+S combination. That way I deal more damage, and they won't break.

BTW, I was just curious on the potentials of smithed weapons/armor. Is it really worth it to find an anvil and forge, and get the smithing skill just to smith objects? I play wizards (or mostly spellcasters) and I don't get a lot of chances to smith and all.
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2003 at 04:02 (GMT -5)

Smithing takes time. Very much of it especially if you're not a weaponsmith. But if you're not worried about background corruption then go for it. Just smith in a place that isn't corrupting or you'll get many corruptions because it takes very long to smith!

Fred
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2003 at 06:26 (GMT -5)

I already closed the gate, just training my PC before leaving DC. So I don't have to worry about the time. But will I get a big benefit from smithing or is it just a small one? And what are your suggestions/opinions?
Portrait
Crimson King
Registered user

Last page view:

6313 days, 1 hour, 5 minutes and 3 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2003 at 06:56 (GMT -5)

Needle and Sting are so late-game artifacts that I find them useless as you've already trained your other weapon skills so high that you can hit anything and kill anything with your main weapon.

Joka vitsaa säästää, saa kaatumataudin
firestorm
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2003 at 15:51 (GMT -5)

uhh not unless you train daggers throughout the game if you have the intention of getting them, or you could train daggers in the gremlin cave
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2003 at 17:09 (GMT -5)

Probably wouldn't trade Vanquisher or the AotME for needle+sting, though. AotME rocks, especially if you've got some other critical hit increasing thingys(BoW, RotMC, find weakness). It's got more damage than Vanquisher and hits critical hits almost all the time :)

Portrait
Crimson King
Registered user

Last page view:

6313 days, 1 hour, 5 minutes and 3 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2003 at 21:22 (GMT -5)

Training daggers throughout the game is pointless. There is no other good daggers than needle and sting that are easy to obtain. The best ones are phase daggers, but they don't deal enough damage for anything if you've got low str.

Joka vitsaa säästää, saa kaatumataudin
Fred
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2003 at 02:18 (GMT -5)

Ummm...how about the smithed weapons? Could someone clarify my last post?

"But will I get a big benefit from smithing or is it just a small one? And what are your suggestions/opinions? "

And it's easy to train daggers at high levels, because dual weilded against enemies from BDC or SMC will guarantee a fast increase in your skill level.
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, June 06, 2003 at 05:31 (GMT -5)

Well, you can pretty easily get a 5 or so boost to all your metal equipment's DV and PV values. 5 isn't even much, just do it some more and you'll get metal caps [+10,+10]. It's quite fun. Also smithing is easier when the quality of the item is low. So your moloch armour with [-20,+50] can easily be brought up to at least +5DV.

...And now I noticed you were actually asking about weapons. Sigh. You get to hit and damage bonuses. Well, it's always better to swing around with a +10,1d4+10 phase dagger than a 0,1d4 one.

Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3747 days, 19 hours, 10 minutes and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2003 at 04:41 (GMT -5)

1. I like an even balance of both PV and DV... usually I have about the same amount of each.

2. Swords are great for my spellcasters (for the Sword of Nonnak), except for characters with a Raven birthsign, who will try for Polearms. Otherwise, I usually go for any weapon group in which I find a decent one early, though I'll train with Daggers once I find a good dagger. I've only gotten the Twins once, but I live in the hope of accomplishing that again!

3. Probably because I have no life, so I figured I might as well enjoy it :)

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Jurne
Registered user

Last page view:

6656 days, 22 hours, 31 minutes and 32 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2003 at 15:37 (GMT -5)

Yet another question- is there anyway to stop the animated forest from spawning? I just want to get through there now! Lol, and get all of the equipment on the ground :-(

You wish to kill me? Good thing I brought my psychic hamster named Hamster with me...
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2003 at 05:00 (GMT -5)

Enemies don't generate in your line of sight. Maybe if you had perception of 99, weilding three torches and a blessed necklace of the eye and casted farsight you could slow things down in there a bit. You could also lure the banshee to the level and its weil would kill the trees.

BTW: you could've really started a new thread about this as this has nothing to do with the topic of this thread :)

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 6/10/2003 at 05:01 (GMT -5) by J.]

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: