Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / What do you consider hard?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Lurker
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, October 16, 2002 at 16:56 (GMT -5)

"What's the best race/class combination?" may have been asked a few times but I'd like to ask it the other way around: what do you think is the worst race/class combo and why? I think some are easier early on and some better at the end game but is there any truly inferior choices that would make the whole game hard?

And a completely different question: how many hits do you need altogether to reach grand master skill in a weapon type? I hear it's pretty much.

Thanks for your time.
Zaddiq
Registered user

Last page view:

6990 days, 16 hours, 50 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 at 04:37 (GMT -5)

the best ive ever done with was a troll healer in month of candle. i like trolls cause it easier to live early on where most of my dieing happens. lots of people like drakelings, but i think they too hard for ToF. a drakeling mindcrafter would be my choice for hardest race/class. drakeling because of ToF, mindcrafter cause they dont learn spells hardly and dont fight too good, and mindcraft not good against undead, chaos creatures, insects. troll healer for the easiest.
it says in the manual trolls make lousy wizards. im trying that out right now. not going too good. corruptions are getting bad, running low on SoCR already did unicorn quest, only at level 42. i was wanting to get an ultra ending, but may have to just go down and finish normally cause of time. trolls go up levels slow, real slow at higher levels. i got my healer up fast by wishing for emperor moloch. dont have to kill many greater molochs to gain a level. cant get a djinn ring to save my life now. woo is me. heh wont bother creating a new char after this till new adom version is released.

zad
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5778 days, 10 hours, 54 minutes and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 at 06:15 (GMT -5)

Hardest race/class combination? I'd go for a fighter-type class that'll never be much good with spells (Fighter, Barbarian, Beastfighter) combined with a weak and wimpy race (Hurthling, Dark Elf). Maybe Dark Elven Fighter, since they lack Healing and Herbalism and are chaotic.

Easiest combination - IMHO it's got to be a wizard for all those lovely spells (they find every spellbook in the Library, even Wish). Priests have Detect Item Status, which is nice, but often begin the game with no offensive spells, which isn't so nice. I like Food Preservation, which narrows the race down to Human, Hurthling, Troll or Drakeling. Hurthlings are weak, and Trolls eat a lot and are chaotic, so they're out. It's a close call between Human and Drakeling, but on balance I'd go for Drakeling Wizard because of the Alertness skill.

About drakelings: in the ToEF, bring a source of regeneration if you can, and otherwise plenty of healing stuff. I'm more worried about getting frozen and slowed down (the cure for that is to heat yourself up again).

About levelling up: wishing for an ancient karmic wyrm (ideally in SMC) and Death Raying it (from a wand if you can't manage the spell) is probably better than wishing for emperor moloch and certainly safer.
Tanthalas Pathfinder
Registered user
aka Tanthie

Last page view:

7067 days, 3 hours, 22 minutes and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 at 08:28 (GMT -5)

Dark elven elementalist. You can't beat it.

Elementalists get spells free and that's really nice. Its also good to have it borned in the month of Falcon. Survival is handy.

"When watching anime, never worry about the consequences."
SuperLobster
Registered user
The Mad Monk

Last page view:

7722 days, 2 hours, 29 minutes and 13 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 at 09:51 (GMT -5)

Worst Class/Race combo? To me it would be Hurthling/Beastfighter... No strength and any weapons you find are pretty much worhless (And who's a Hurthling going to hurt with his bare hands? A small rat, maybe?)
You want to fight? Fight me! HAHAHA
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5778 days, 10 hours, 54 minutes and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 at 10:23 (GMT -5)

You have a good point about Beastfighters not benefitting from finding a good weapon, but Hurthlings are good at throwing rocks, which could help a bit. So I think I'll change my worst race/class combination to Dark Elven Beastfighter.
SuperLobster
Registered user
The Mad Monk

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 at 11:10 (GMT -5)

I forgot about Hurthlings starting with "Thrown Rocks" at level 4 (shows how much I play them!). That could make a nice bonus for any class they are played with. On that note, I never have managed to get any type of Archer to go very far. I never seem to be able to get enough missles (even my Hurthling Archers die pretty early, and rocks are relativly plentiful).
My only true beef with Hurthlings is that Strength issue, probably because of the way I play (I like to pick up practically everything I come across, even if don't have any possible use for it! I'm a natural packrat.)
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3130 days, 48 minutes and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 at 12:30 (GMT -5)

Dark elf + Fighter. All fighter are hard, but with no To, low St, low healing rate and without Herbalism these make the worst combination.

Hurtling Mindcrafters have a VERY hard start (i never even got one to lvl 6 :D)

A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
eL
Registered user
Long lost brother

Last page view:

7197 days, 12 hours, 32 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, October 18, 2002 at 05:13 (GMT -5)

hey, what about thieves? what's the best race/month for them?

It's very hard to be humble, when you are great.
SuperLobster
Registered user
The Mad Monk

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, October 18, 2002 at 10:13 (GMT -5)

For a Thief? I would go with either a High Elf or Dark Elf. You could also use a Hurthling, but as I noted above, I'm not to partial to them...

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 10/18/2002 at 10:13 (GMT -5) by SuperLobster]
eL
Registered user
Long lost brother

Last page view:

7197 days, 12 hours, 32 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, October 19, 2002 at 06:02 (GMT -5)

well, then what about druids? no one seems to use 'em
PS GRRRRRRRR!!! Keethrax killed my GREAT char - gray elven wizard. He's impossible!!

It's very hard to be humble, when you are great.
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3130 days, 48 minutes and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, October 19, 2002 at 06:44 (GMT -5)

Spoiler
Magic Missiles can damage him, and IIRC acid does too

If he killed your Great char then it wasn't so great after all :PPP

A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 10/19/2002 at 06:44 (GMT -5) by Maelstrom]
Portrait
Guinea
Registered user
tWo-HeAdEd cHaOs WeAsEl

Last page view:

6981 days, 22 hours, 57 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, October 20, 2002 at 10:06 (GMT -5)

Spoiler
I personally prefer to wield something heavy, go on Berserk and whack him to death (even with spellcasters)

Portrait
Majin
Registered user
Pierced

Last page view:

7324 days, 20 hours, 54 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2004 at 02:22 (GMT -5)

eL, the best sign for thief (or any class IMHO) is Raven, good speed and you seem to find lots more cool items, one of my thieves found dagger of death and pick axe of devastaion in the Ud.
the plus 10 speed helps when you have to flee like a wuss

What do you Wish for?_
Warlord*
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2004 at 05:44 (GMT -5)

Ekaterin, Dark Elven Beastfighters are machines! Really, one born in Candle is a monster. High dx, pretty good to and st, good ma. They rock. I get them killed usually somewhere aroun level 15, but I always get there.
Dude
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2004 at 15:27 (GMT -5)

Actualy, I made it pretty far as a Dark Elven Mincrafter. Only had a ST of 20 though. Mindcraft may be usless against Chaos and Undead, but it kills nerly anything else.
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3768 days, 14 hours, 3 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2004 at 18:48 (GMT -5)

The hardest to start with... probably grey elven mindcrafter or farmer.

Die Gedanken sind Frei
wakka*
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, February 29, 2004 at 13:45 (GMT -5)

hurtling farmers... they're damn hard to play. yeah, they get good skills (food pres., archery, herbalism...) but it's nearly impossible to make'm survive.
Klavert
Registered user
The Hurthling

Last page view:

6532 days, 1 hour, 27 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, February 29, 2004 at 14:51 (GMT -5)

Hurthlings do have the throw rock at lvl 4 when they start.
As soon as you find some rocks, you're settled :D

Klavert
-I want ye to slay a rat to prove your valor- Thrundarr
That really happened to me :D
Larrack
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, February 29, 2004 at 16:19 (GMT -5)

Human farmers are the worst combo to play. They last for ages, but you soon wish they wouldn't.
Portrait
Krusty
Registered user
the clown

Last page view:

5599 days, 21 hours, 52 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, March 01, 2004 at 09:18 (GMT -5)

Funny this topic has come up.
I recently purposely tried to come up with the wimpiest race /class combo I could think of.
Went for Gnomish Bard. Gnome because they are weak and hard to start (IMO harder than hurthlings because of the L4 thrown rocks that hurthlings have). Bard because it just sounds weak. I mean come on...a singing, dancing, storytelling PC? Thats a no-brainer.

Spoiler
You could imiagine my suprise when I found out just how easy this guy was to level. Four starting talents gave me Hier _and_ Alert as a pre-req to Treasure Hunter. With my slick new 7LB and my companion "Rocky" the raccoon digging me out copious quantities of rocks, I had a never ending supply of ammo and simply was never being hit with a shoot back up shoot strat. Cats not a problem with the music skill starting extremely high and a couple of quality instruments. By the time Jharod had instilled the secrets of healing in my brain, I had already got to L5 in thrown rocks! Now at character level 12 he has a L8 proficiency with thrown rocks and a very nice skillset including archery, det traps, healing, herbalism, literacy and detect item status among others. IM instakilling most monsters with one rock, and can throw those huge rocks (1000s things)for something like 10d6+20 over 6 tiles with a +29 to hit! To top it off all those heavy rocks have trained his St from a wimpy 9 up to 16!
Only real scares so far have been dopplegangers (which I have been berserking with an orcish spear, since they deflect my rocks).

Anyway, turned into going from a joke PC to one of my most promising mid-level characters (and quickest levelling!). Maybe he'll be my first ever to crack the ToEF, but thats still obviously a long way down the track yet.
NMBLNG
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, March 15, 2004 at 19:54 (GMT -5)

I really like Mindcrafters if I can get them to survive long enough to get MindBlast. I can kill an entire gnollish warparty with 1 MentalWave.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: