Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / General / Fighting style

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Ryan Klein
Registered user
Because I said so is why!

Last page view:

1658 days, 2 hours, 41 minutes and 23 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 at 03:03 (GMT -5)

I've recently been attempting to create a fighting style using a heavy spear (my walking stick and "nightmare" in my story,) and a short spear (a stick I found and polished "defender" in my story {SOON}.)

Just a few minutes ago, I perfected my fighting style. I'm calling it X for now (the spears form an X.)

The heavy spear is used for attacks and is swung around in great arcs (simmilar to Japanese fighting styles using the Yari.)

The short spear is used for dodging and thrusting attacks. I have just started training with the both of them (and It's VERY hard.)

I figure that any exercise is good exercise and practicing martial arts at midnight would help me lose some wieght.

Have any of you attempted to create a fighting style using sticks (or other stuff?) Be it for shits and giggles, weight loss, or to prepare for an upcoming fight, I'm geniunely curious.

I also need names for my fighting style. I don't think X sounds cool enough. I want it to sound important and powerful.

Portrait
Damon
Registered user

Last page view:

7738 days, 18 hours, 34 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 at 09:49 (GMT -5)

I've made a martial arts where I sit comfortably in front of the TV!
I'm armed with a deadly remote control which with proper understanding can change my opponents state in a flick of a button. For defense against thirst attacks I'm armed with a thirst quenching drink. I have been training hard but I'm finding it a bit tricky to refill my drink without losing focus on my opponent, the TV. I never know when I'll miss an attack which I may miss.
The concept of balance is also a overlooked virtue of this martial arts, you must be always aware of the TV, but never too much whilst taking a swig otherwise you may drop your drink and spillage will occur.

Lurker
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 at 12:08 (GMT -5)

Creating a fighting style? Haven't got any imagination for making up any moves. Just have to go with the ones somebody else made up. Started practicing shootfighting this fall, and it's great! Might be fun to try something(s) with weapons later on...
Portrait
Ryan Klein
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 at 13:37 (GMT -5)

LOL Damon. Not quite what I was asking but hillarious all the same.

Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3758 days, 21 hours, 36 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 at 20:25 (GMT -5)

self-defense lessons, for my phys ed requirement... other than that, not much. Well, not unless you want to count a couple of tries at archery. And besides that I stink at it... not nearly strong enough. ;)

Die Gedanken sind Frei

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 10/22/2002 at 20:25 (GMT -5) by Iridia]
Portrait
Ryan Klein
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 at 21:16 (GMT -5)

I love archery. If I strap my monoculer to my eye, I can hit anything (I've shot a bird out of a tree that was taller than the two story house that it was next to.). A monoculer is a smaller version of binoculers only there is one hole for one eye. You can strap it on to your bad eye (my only eye) if you want to see stuff far away. People have called it a powerful scope without the gun being attached so I'll stick with that. A monoculer is, in essence, a scope for visually challenged people (or lazy priggs who try to pass themselves off as such.)

I'm too damn competitive for my own good.

Portrait
Ryan Klein
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, October 23, 2002 at 03:40 (GMT -5)

Update:

I have memorized a berserk technique where I spin uncontrollably and swing my weapon twice as fast. I can't do it with both weapons yet but it will work when the situation is tough.

I've started comboes with the two weapons. I've even memorized 1 of them.

key= u-up d-down l-left r-right
heavy= use heavy weapon
light= use light weapon

from ready,
step with back foot forward
heavy slash ur-dl
step
light slash ul-dr
step and turn clockwise
heavy swing high
light swing low
jump back to defensive

I need a name for this thing so.....

I know you guys don't care too much about my goals (as they aren't ADOM related,) but I enjoy writing about my accomplishments and think that SOMEONE has to find this interesting.

BTW, after doing this stuff for an hour each night for a few days, I've lost 3 lbs. *)

Do you care about my updates?
Yes  No
Check results

Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3758 days, 21 hours, 36 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, October 23, 2002 at 13:13 (GMT -5)

Greeeat, here I am staring at salads, day after day, without losing so much as an ounce because I love M&Ms too much, and you're losing weight and having fun too?! Unfair... unfair... :)

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Ryan Klein
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, October 23, 2002 at 16:35 (GMT -5)

Food doesn't do it. It's too easy to cheat.

I have trouble doing pushups and situps because of my weight. Unless you fall down, there's no getting up to be had.

And it is fun.

Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

3 hours, 46 minutes and 9 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, October 23, 2002 at 20:13 (GMT -5)

When I was (a lot) younger we used to play Ninjas or what not... Basicaly we ran around in the woods and "fenced" a lot (I use the term losely because repeatedly hitting two sticks togeter hardly qualifies as fencing). Was quite fun unless someone got carried away and actualy started to try and hit the opponent rather than his sword not, to mention the odd bruiced knuckles...

Guess I could use some exercise, recruit school in the army nearly killed me, but fortunately I'm quite enduring (as in I get tired quickly due to poor condition, but can usualy though it out for a good while), so I was always eable to keep up (well it was a sad bunch realy, so I guess it was no major acomplishment realy)... I just never get around to devote any time to some sort of training.

When I get off work I'm usualy to (mentaly) exhausted to even think about it (even though it would proably be the best way to clear my mind), and when I have a day off I usualy want to spend some quality time with my computer :D

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 10/23/2002 at 20:15 (GMT -5) by Jan Erik]
Portrait
Ryan Klein
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, October 23, 2002 at 22:41 (GMT -5)

That's why I do it at midnight. I don't have a job and it's peaceful.

Portrait
Luke
Registered user
Apprentice

Last page view:

7314 days, 6 hours, 57 minutes and 35 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, October 24, 2002 at 05:37 (GMT -5)

I'm going to University now and I'm doing Karate. I'm a white belt but I have a high confidence and want to achieve black belt within just 3 years.
At the moment I my blocks are quick, my kicks are predictable, my punches are slow but I can move swiftly and can volly combos quite rapidly.
In sparring with a black belt I even managed to get 2 attacks past his defence. As opposed to his roughly about 25 successful attacks including a powerful kick to the stomache that winded me. Sparring doesn't half tire me out too.

In my free time I used to do freestyle, which I was trying to practice kicks and fly kicks. I also did it at night for some reason too, I think I was embarressed about people seeing me :S

LS
my name
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, October 24, 2002 at 07:05 (GMT -5)

i learned kung fu once but i only ever used it on the fat old man who lived next door until he died because he was staring at me in an unintentional way will i go to hell now for all my trouble

Will I Go To Hell
Yes  No
Check results

Portrait
Luke
Registered user
Apprentice

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, October 24, 2002 at 08:46 (GMT -5)

In your hyperthetical story, yes you'd probably go to hell.

LS
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

4700 days, 7 hours and 14 minutes ago.
Posted on Thursday, October 24, 2002 at 17:13 (GMT -5)

Ryan,
From what you have described, I would say you should call your style Eye of the Storm -- You are safe in the center, while raining chaos all around you. Besides, since you are creating it, I think having "Eye" in the name is appropriate.

Myself, I fence. This would have no application in real life, since real swords have an entirely different balance, but it is fun.
Portrait
Ryan Klein
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, October 24, 2002 at 18:08 (GMT -5)

Good idea. I can call my berserker mood the eye of the storm.

I've got a name for my style. Eyesmosis.

Portrait
Luke
Registered user
Apprentice

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, October 25, 2002 at 05:27 (GMT -5)

Don't you think it's an economical idea to enjoy a martial arts you might actually need?
I know it's for fun but you never know when you'll need to defend yourself or others
And I'm not really sure you'd conviniently find two sticks or a rapier lying next to you if you were attacked on the streets by some random thugs.

Karate is a very good fundamental martail art form which could compliment your experience in developing your own combat style.

LS
Iridia.
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, October 25, 2002 at 08:28 (GMT -5)

Karate?... yeah, but then what happens if you're facing a guy with a knife or gun?

I don't think the style of fighting you learn matters so much as the mind-set that comes with learning things like that... being alert, thinking on your feet, etc.

Of course, a black belt couldn't hurt.
SuperLobster
Registered user
The Mad Monk

Last page view:

7712 days, 10 hours, 2 minutes and 9 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, October 25, 2002 at 09:45 (GMT -5)

Neither could carrying a semi-automatic, if one is terribly concerned with getting jumped by random thugs. The Martial Arts (as taught today) are mainly for teaching self-disipline and getting ones mind and body into harmony (and, of course, getting fit and trim as well!)
You want to fight? Fight me! HAHAHA
Portrait
Ryan Klein
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, October 25, 2002 at 17:13 (GMT -5)

guns are for wimps. It's a simple and unhonorable way of killing someone.

I do have a blind cane that is roughly the same length as the heavy spear. I learned cane defense in a blind school that I used to go to. That's where the idea for using a long spear came from. I could substitute it with my cane. The second spear is for shits and giggles. I use it for a challenge.

Portrait
Luke
Registered user
Apprentice

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, October 28, 2002 at 06:47 (GMT -5)

Karate does actually cover areas of defence with disarming weapons such as knives from your opponent, but there's not a lot anyone can really do where a gun is involved.
The style does make a huge difference too, when you learn to punch, kick, move and breathe properly you'd be surprised about how it could get the better of some attacker who only knows street fighting.
I also find that guns are dishonourable, it seems a harsh and unjust reality that some kid could take out Bruce Lee when it clearly shouldn't be like that, at least with swords/spears etc there is still a level of skill involved.

LS
Prickle Pear
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, November 02, 2002 at 21:14 (GMT -5)

In part 3 of our series the characters (main) fight like the matrix, (in orginality) hard to say... Mostly though the story is something like the klumps meets adom?? Or maybe the Blues Brothers. The characters fight with pumpkins, for God's sake!! Get into car chases.

Quote Mark (idiot, NL) "Duh, I made this for you."
Mr.Tennis
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, November 07, 2002 at 17:28 (GMT -5)

I'd hit people with rocks!!
Such as those quickling... Think thier so smart!!

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: